[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

who else is making the Switch to AMD in 2017?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 9

File: Zen is coming.jpg (271KB, 693x688px) Image search: [Google]
Zen is coming.jpg
271KB, 693x688px
who else is making the Switch to AMD in 2017?
>>
File: 1cd.png (230KB, 509x395px) Image search: [Google]
1cd.png
230KB, 509x395px
>constant brand war nonsense and bickering over ~5% differences all over /g/
>mfw next scheduled upgrade is 2022 and AMD will be dead by then
>>
File: regain.png (3MB, 1494x1290px) Image search: [Google]
regain.png
3MB, 1494x1290px
>>56022227
>>
>>56022227
I am

If you aren't boycotting Israel at this point you're either a jew yourself or a complete retard
>>
>Pajeet going for AMD

Seems about right
>>
>>56022348
>5%
you mean 50% right?
>>
Stuck with AMD even when their CPUs were cracking way back when.
(Yes am an oldfag)
>>
>>56022609
>boycotting Israel
>Intel vs AMD
I honestly don't understand where is the connection. Can you enlighten me, please?
>>
>>56022227
Currently stuck on 16c Haswell xeons for my VM farm. Very excited about getting to move to 32c AMD if they're reasonably priced.
>>
Haha, no.
>>
I'm switching back to POWER
>>
>>56022227
Me, if the single-core performance is comparable to Sandy Bridge
I do stuff where twice the cores means twice the performance
So an 8-core CPU that doesn't cost $1000+ would be very nice
>>
>>56023962
Sounds like you'd benefit from the abundance of used enterprise equipment on eBay. I've got a server with dual quad core Opterons and 24GB RAM that didn't even cost $100 shipped over a year ago
>>
File: jer01nov14BAZ.jpg (145KB, 1500x1054px) Image search: [Google]
jer01nov14BAZ.jpg
145KB, 1500x1054px
>>56022896

Shalom, Jews own Intel.
Intel CPU = basically a small Israel inside your computer.
>>
>>56022227
AMD is awful. Like truly one of the worst tech companies that has ever existed.

With any luck they will be bankrupt in a few years and we won't have to deal with these horrible shill threads.
>>
>>56023988
All the current opterons are designed in a way that they perform horribly on parallel tasks. They're only useful for running VM's. I'm hoping this is less true for Zen server, but it seems like they are repeating their past mistakes. The sandy bridge xeons are probably going to be the best budget option for a long time.
>>
>nobody is switching to powerPC
fucking plebians
>>
>>56023990
And AMD is almost majority owned by arabs.
You can't win with computers if you're a Christian. Just live with it.
>>
Mudasir did nothing wrong.
>>
>>56023988
The software I use currently doesn't support networking
And without it a some old Opteron 8-core is probably slower than any 4-core i5
>>
>>56024029
I'm not saying you should get Opterons, that was just an example of the cheapness based on personal experience.
>>
>>56024074
What does networking have to do with it?
>>
>>56022227
I use my PC for things besides gaming. So no.
AMD with it's decade of shit OpenGL drivers and considering they think Vulkan is the BIG THING (quite possibly DoA), they'll have shit OpenGL drivers forever - what AMD managed to do is to cut non DX apis right through the middle and quite possibly OpenGL will live side by side Vulkan now. Besides hilarious game industry memesters I've not seen anyone particularly enthusiastic about adopting it. Quite amusingly Nvidia had an Unreal Engine 4 OpenGL demo on GDC so I'm getting the feeling gaming studios won't be particularly fast at adopting Vulkan either.

To top it off 1060 is quite ironically cheaper than a 8 gig 480 in my parts so if I wanted a low range card it's a no brainier.

AMDreg.
>>
>>56024086
Right, I just wanted to clarify as someone who has used them extensively, that they are giant turds of server processors compared to other old equipment. They are also a nightmare when attempting to get stability on an MP board, which is something Zen will actually be fixing this time around. I'm hyped for Zen, but very concerned about AMD repeating other design flaws.
>>
>>56024039
Jews are far worse
>>
>>56024123
At least their women look good.
Muslims look like apes.
>>
>>56022227
Someone please post the non edited versions. I cry errytime
>>
>>56024114
Everyone had sir opengl support, Intel, amd and nvidia, reason is simple opengl is actually shit.
>>
>>56024098
Well with networking I could just distribute the workload between multiple computers
Multiple cheaper computers would of course easily defeat a regular Intel build in price/performance
>>
>>56024114
Game studios are going to be forced to adopt Vulkan because mobile gaming will only grow in market share. By the end of next year, the addressable market will be a majority of Vulkan for this reason alone. Game studios are either going to hire some devs spilling over from the mobile market or get left behind.
>>
>>56024136
True, nothing better than big fat jewish tits.
But at least arabs openly hate us, while jews want to use us for their own gains and pretend they are our allies.
>>
yep, Intel + Nvidia currently; going full housefire in 2017 and no one can stop me.
>>
my next workstation will at least have an AMD GPU for the Linux support

as for the CPU, it will depend on their ECC offerings
Intel server offerings are needlessly expensive
>>
>>56024155
Mobile gaming studios maybe.
On PC things look completely different.
DX12 will be the king. Quite honestly I think AMD managed to cement Microsoft's leadership in graphical apis with this stunt if anything.

And as I said I don't particularly care about games. They'll work well on my high end cards regardless where the tech goes.

Other software on the other hand I strongly suspect won't have a particular drive to adopt Vulkan. Apple already said they'll use Metal, and PCs have perfectly usable DX12 - which has the same features and is more stable and more efficient than Vulkan - something I suspect will remain true for years.

So as I say it again, Vulkan is a meme and quite possibly dead on arrival.

>>56024207
>AMD
>workstation
Hooo boy.
>>
>>56024219
not everything work is 3D rendering m8

I just need some stable open source drivers
>>
>>56024219
>Not addressing 40% of the market volume because "it's a meme".

It's a good thing you're only responsible for shitposting instead of running a business, They will either adopt or die. The entertainment market is overly competitive for the meager returns it offers, and hiring Vulkan devs will let them address a larger market. It honestly doesn't matter what Apple says they'll do, they've pretty much confirmed using AMD chips for their new products, and Mac gamers are one of the smallest markets.
>>
Any good alternative to both AMD and Intel?
>>
>>56024267
How exactly are they failing to address a market when they already have perfectly well working OpenGL implementations you mouth-breather. OpenGL ES 3.2 was just released like couple of weeks ago.

Vulkan DOESN'T give mobile chips a significant boost in comparison to OpenGL. In fact the only reason AMD looks good on Vulkan is because it's complete and utter garbage on OpenGL. AMD still runs better on DX12, which is quite hilarious in my opinion.

On top of everything, Vulkan requires about twice the amount of code in comparison to OpenGL. So, all in all, it might have it's uses but it's not a clear replacement. It was never intended to be one, Khronos has said they fully expect the apis to coexist.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OpenGL-Not-The-End

Funny thing is, this guy shares my opinion. OpenGL will remain the API of choice for professional applications. With raising complexity the low level access is more of a detriment than help. Who the hell will sit down to rewrite a million lines of code just because a new api can give you a 5% boost.

And you think you understand business. Hilarious, kid. Fucking hilarious.
>>
>>56023995
>AMD is awful

Daily reminder that Intel should've gotten fined about fifty billion for their anti-competitive bullshit that crippled AMD instead of the pittance they were.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ammnVSy1S74

thingken about making this my ringtone just for tteh lulz
>>
>>56024366
>Vulkan DOESN'T give mobile chips a significant boost in comparison to OpenGL.
This was literally one of the key reasons Vulkan has gained the backing of Google and thus Android. Because it does give a giant boost to mobile gaming. We aren't talking about professional 3d application on phones here, we are talking about the gaming market.

http://www.androidauthority.com/opengl-vs-vulkan-performance-706408/

https://newzoo.com/insights/articles/global-games-market-reaches-99-6-billion-2016-mobile-generating-37/

Think game studios want to hire people who can't write Vulkan when mobile could become half the market revenue in two years?
>>
>>56024352
POWER / Raptor Engineering

...hopefully
>>
>>56024407
wew lad the preview here on 4chan is a pentium 5

hl3 confirmed
>>
>>56024394
I guess it's time to remind AMDrones AMD bought Ati WITHOUT even mentioning it to Nvidia which led to NForce 3 to getting canned when it was more than ready to ship and AMD having to make their own chipsets (something it turns out they're quite incapable of doing) since then.

Which is the REAL reason AMD is dying.

If anything AMD's CEOs should be sued for trying to bankrupt the company. Because backstabbing one of your biggest partners is exactly that.
>>
>>56024408
>benchmarks on an emulator on a desktop
Whew lad.
You're dumb as fuck aren't you.
>>
>>56024352
VIA is an alternative, but I can't say is good
>>
File: 1468714013532.jpg (122KB, 668x623px) Image search: [Google]
1468714013532.jpg
122KB, 668x623px
>>56022227
>>
>>56024352
If you want to build a server, sure. Lots of them.
ARM will eventually catch up to Intel, the way things are going.

There's already companies working on serious ARM server cpus.
>>
>>56024449
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnKu7MLB7vQ

Plz.
>>
>>56024455
ARM is good and a future proof alternative

big endian will win in the end, people talk using big endian phones holding them to their heads, not little endian.

It's only logical, because many companies can influence the speed of ARM chips for the better, whilst AMD and Intel are just circlejerking around their own designs without being able to make new leaps. a big.LITTLE architecture with x86 is unthinkable. They can't even properly implement and unify sleep states or implement "always on" tech in a working fashion.
>>
>>56024031
name a decently prices power desktop thats not from apple
>>
>>56024483
Wouldn't be the first time Epic makes big claims.
Epic also said they'll have real time ray tracing and gi in their engine at launch. It's been 2 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bLOi3mo9NE

Again funny thing is, I use UE4 all the time. And as far as I know the Vulkan implementation is a fork of the engine. So not really officially a part of it.

Typically when they show off shit, they update the engine with it soon after. Didn't happen for Vulkan.
Why?
My best guess is, it's buggy and unfit for commercial use as fuck. And probably won't get there any time soon. In comaprison the new OpenGL ES got hooked the moment it was out.

Tim Sweeney doesn't like Microsoft one bit though. So I'm sure they'll keep pushing Vulkan as much as they can. Doesn't make it less of a nuisance to code for as it seems.
>>
>>56024155
This argument makes no sense. mobile hardware is still light years behind PC in terms of performance reaching 2002 graphics fidelity at best. The problem with mobile hardware is heat so while on paper you have super fact CPUs they all suffer from massive thermal throttling and I don't see an easy way to fix it. Then you have two completely different types of controllers, consoles doing their own secret sauce API with the exception of Xbox going dx12. We talk about $200+ GPUs and no way in hell devs will optimise games both for high end rigs and 2002 performance smartphones. Even now you consider yourself lucky if a 5 years old card can run new games.
>>
>>56023962
>>56024029
Why not just buy a dual socket board with X5650s? They're 6 cores, 12 threads and <$100 each.
>>
>>56022636
50% of 0 improvements is still 0.
>>
>>56024652
>Mobile market possibly becoming half of all gaming revenue in two years.
>Adopting Vulkan makes no sense.
/g/ at it's finest.
>>
>>56024619
Better start learning Vulkan before you get shitcanned then. Companies can no longer ignore the mobile market. That's just the way it's going to be.
>>
>>56024619
Nah Vulcan is simply harder to use and doesn't have great dev tools unlike Directx. I don't thing it's DoA cuz it will have a nice group of people creating games in free unreal engine which favours Vulcan but at the same time I don't think it will be a "adopt or die" sort of thing, it's not like gamers will stop buying a game just because it doesn't support Vulcan, we talk about community stupid enough to pre-order games in millions before they know anything about them. Vulcan has no sense unless you're some small indie dev that can't afford buying virtual studio.
>>
>>56024698
You're really one massive retard aren't you. Nowhere in my post I've started that mobile market isn't profitable - it simply has no chance of crossing with PC gaming market, the differences in hardware and controllers are too big and if for some reason every game dev decides to jump on the mobile market then you sure as fuck won't see those games on PC even with Vulcan, and even if, by some miracle, you did, they wouldn't require from you a stand alone GPU in the first place cuz of mobile market hardware limitations so this whole AMD vs Nvidia debacle wouldn't make any sense anyway since birth companies would either die or start making tablets.
>>
>>56024752
Both* companies
>>
>>56024752
No, the idea is that game development companies will start creating games for mobile as well as PC because of the growing market. This will create people who are experienced in developing for Vulkan, which is a major hurdle for adoption of the API. A Vulkan developer can make games for all markets, a DX12 developer is stuck writing code for Windows 10/Xbox. I'm saying that any game dev business will have a strong financial motivation to encourage the use of Vulkan from their dev team. Years in the future, in less than a decade, I can see crossplatform games becoming a thing. In the next two years at least, the mobile market is going to need to be addressed by companies doing exclusively PC/console right now.
>>
File: yu.jpg (117KB, 900x1300px) Image search: [Google]
yu.jpg
117KB, 900x1300px
>>56024443
>mfw AMD had to use broken chipsets from VIA until nvidia showed them how it's done
>>
>>56024219
https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

Yeah look at that huge DX12 market guys!
>>
>>56024654
This was when the 6300's had come out. They killed other offers for VM hosting. Was not personally my choice, but people specifically requesting baremetal hosting on these processors. Intel has since adopted a ring interconnect that makes parallel tasks across all cores scale well, AMD is still set on just slapping sets of 4 isolated cores together which negatively affects overall performance.
>>
ill be making the switch in a month. fuck intel.
>>
>>56022227

Only if they make competitive CPUs which, honestly, is not going to happen in 2017 already.
>>
>>56024884
That's pretty much what I meant. For budget servers/CPU rendering it's pretty hard to beat X5650. Used HP Z800 and things like that.
>>
>>56024039
>being religious
Kys
>>
>>56024619
few reasons, its still new in the development scene.

Then epic games have bretty good relationship with nvidia, so nvidia comes first anything else second.

Sweeney isn't anti MS, he's just pissed on how closed the system is and it literally undermine their epic launcher or their dreams of trying to become like any other game supply clients.

Don't forget, epic is nearly half own by the chinese. Being a chinese myself, its all about money.
>>
File: image.jpg (60KB, 446x524px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60KB, 446x524px
>>56022609
>>56022896
>>56023990
>>56024039
>>56024123
>arabs, massive exodus to europe because everything they have is falling apart, lots petty infighting and disorganization even among 2nd gen imigrants
Meanwhile
>israel, only democratic country in middle east, strong industy and growth

If the jews are behind even 1% of all that /g/ claims, then my 3rd citizenship will be israeli. I am done with this mediocrity
>>
>>56025606
Sure, if you ignore the part where Israel would've ceased existing a long time ago if US didn't give them billions of dollars every year.
>>
>>56025624
Im not ignoring it. And honestly, do you think the US is doing it simply out of charity? If you were the US and wanted to establish and maintain a western presence in the region, what would you do with the money?
>>
Intel supports Feminist Frequency.
That's why I don't support them.
>>
>>56022227
Fukken saved
>>
>>56024039
>And AMD is almost majority owned by arabs.

Please, tell me this isn't true.
>>
>>56025678
Kill the Jews, instate America 2.0
>>
>>56022227
Still on a Phenom II, works fine for most things.
>>
>>56026367
Still on fx-8350
>>
Not many people just like now

Amd is became the linux of hw

Autists and poor people have to buy it and they act like they are the best ever to feel better but the truth is that the competitor which has magnitudes bigger marketshare is simply better
>>
>>56022227
No because im not a poor cunt who has to order the sub standard shit.
IF AMD did cards as good as Nvidia I would, thing is theyre so behind its a joke
>>
File: Vegeta does the creep.jpg (26KB, 320x238px) Image search: [Google]
Vegeta does the creep.jpg
26KB, 320x238px
>>56022609
t. Ahmed Bishara Wakim Mossul al Mahomet
>>
>>56026469
Good goy.
>>
>>56026488
The majority of stuff you buy, the companys are mainly Jewish,Arab & chink.
Thinking you dont buy Jewish all because you buy AMD just shows how fucking dumb you really are
>>
File: 1438277249325.gif (277KB, 240x287px) Image search: [Google]
1438277249325.gif
277KB, 240x287px
>>56026359
>>
>>56026488
Aloha ackbar, my dhimmi "friend".
>>
>>56026488
ISIS use amd to bitcoin mine
>>
>>56026447
>poor people
But anon, Windows 10 is free*!
>>
>>56024573
Talos Open POWER Workstation

Also
>implying there's anything wrong with a PowerMac G5
>>
>>56024654
dual socket boards for this socket are hard to find. You're better off buying some used server with a dual mainboard with the same socket and swap the 2x quad cores out with the six cores.
>>
If they make something worthwhile. I have never been rich or anything, but I have also never bothered with mid-tier shit products that AMD keeps pushing out. If they make something that actually performs better than intel in both gaming and rendering, I'll consider it.
>>
>>56025606
>destabilize a region by stealing the lands
>look goys we are the only democracy
>>
>>56022227
I've always been in support of ATI/AMD GPUs since the days of the Radeon 4000 seres.

AMD CPUs are pure dogshit though. Intel owns a monopoly on that front. An i5 2500k from years ago still beats any modern AMD CPU.
>>
>>56027104
>caring
>>
If they deliver a 40W (or less) TDP part that performs just as well or better than my 3570k @4.2, yes.
>>
Not from Intel but from Nvidia I am.
>>
>>56027612
I second this.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.