[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 31

File: 1445529552173.png (274KB, 497x623px) Image search: [Google]
1445529552173.png
274KB, 497x623px
Previously on: >>55998768

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp
>>
>>56013889
>resorting to personal attacks

I'm done with you.
>>
>>56014267
You should be done with 4chan then.
>>
File: halp.png (137KB, 784x573px) Image search: [Google]
halp.png
137KB, 784x573px
I want to dual boot with windows 7 for purposes. Never tried it before, so it will be my first distro.
I'm torn between Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Manjaro and Antergos.
Is there any difference for a newcomer or am too undecided?
>>
>>56014410
No, I live to fight another day.
>>
>>56014456
As a newcomer I picked antergos and I regret nothing
>>
File: 1465399686600.png (259KB, 418x465px) Image search: [Google]
1465399686600.png
259KB, 418x465px
Am I a bad person if I install MATE on Arch?
>>
>>56014529
That question hurts. 3/10
>>
are there any terminals that support 256 colors out of the box?
>>
>>56014456
Try them all in a VM and decide yourself, but keep in mind not to choose the distro for the default looks, because you can basically install anything on everything.
>>
>>56014529
> red pepper
> not green

youre a bad person regardless.
>>
>>56014724
Most I know of do so. Which are you using currently?
>>
>>56014729
I installed them all on VM (except for kubuntu), but as I never used linux before I didn't know what to do next. So I thought this would be resolved in daily use.
I'm so indecisive ;_;
>>
>>56014754
just mate terminal
>>
>>56014782
No idea about mate terminal. Does following work?
for code in {0..255}; do echo -en "\e[38;05;${code}m $code:"; done
>>
How can I disable systemd's journal?
>>
>>56014915
ran a perl script turns out I have 256 colors, no idea why some vim themes are fucking up
>>
>>56015322
You need to enable it in vim first.
>>
>>56015356
Oh shit, how do I do that?
>>
>>56015377
set t_Co=256
or
let &t_Co=256
in your vimrc
>>
File: Openwrt_Logo.svg.png (32KB, 640x147px) Image search: [Google]
Openwrt_Logo.svg.png
32KB, 640x147px
Are there other router operating systems like OpenWRT? This one cannot be installed on my routers, so I need some other FREE SOFTWARE.
>>
How can I emulate Apricity OS gnome on my arch install?

I can't find the theme & icons in the AUR.
>>
>>56015408
still not working (see pic) heres the theme I'm using https://github.com/dracula/vim here the relevant part of my vimrc
src_id=13400
set t_Co=256
syntax enable
colorscheme dracula
>>
>>56015524
set background=dark
>>
>>56015549
still looks exactly the same
>>
>>56014162
If you don't have OpenSSH or any SSH software installed, can someone make a remote login connection to your computer still? I'm not talking about malware, I'm talking just by SSH.
>>
>>56015572
uploaded my entire vim configs if that helps
https://a.uguu.se/GB5I8Zs76HhM_vim.tar.gz
>>
>>56015572
I'm out of ideas. ;_;
>>
>>56015636
People can't magically login on your machine. There are however options for remote login that are not SSH (and not malware either)
>>
>>56015727
Okay. I never wanted to use OpenSSH anyways so I uninstalled it. I can easily reinstall it from repos if I need it again.
>>
>>56015241
I tried stopping the service, but it comes back when I reboot the system. Can someone help me?
>>
>>56015727
Also, what do you mean by other options? What other options?
>>
>>56015662
Does it work with xterm? You should have it already installed with X.
>>
>>56015524
>>56015672
Honestly, just use a theme that isn't designed poorly. A well made Vim theme will work in (nearly) any terminal. (see https://github.com/romainl/Apprentice)

I tried your config and it looks fine in both my terminal and GVim. It must be your terminal's color settings. Is the background white by default? If so change it to whatever shade of grey/black looks best to you.
>>
>>56015769
Even with OpenSSH installed no one can login as long as the daemon isn't running waiting for incoming connections

>>56015788
rlogin, telnet
>>
>>56015524
dracula works AFAIK only with gvim, there are lots of themes made for gvim only
>>
>>56015841
Just checked the code, it should work also in the terminal.
>>
>>56015800
How is dracula designed pooly?
>>
>>56015895
It doesn't work well in the terminal, as displayed by >>56015524.
>>
Hey guys
I've just ditched windows for good and installed debian.
Could you point me to some resources that would make me more proficient with my new OS
>>
>>56015986
Not the themes fault. Read the source.
>>
>>56016002
Just use it. How did you learn using Windows? By reading a guide?
>>
>>56016002
I think you should play with it for a while to get used to its structure before going serious about it. It's a different OS you'll inevitably have some difficulties in the beginning, but it'll get comfy in some days.

Start by learning how to use the package manager, install other repositories, etc.
>>
>>56015800
that's weird I just noticed I can't change the colorscheme for any of my terminals they're all just black on white
>>
>>56016007
Well then they should be more explicit about it on their website. Nowhere does it say "Gvim only" or "wasn't designed for the terminal" or anything like that.

>>56016040
Shitty advice, Linux can be daunting if you don't know anything about it.

Ok >>56016002, if you aren't familiar with the shell (aka terminal aka command line), read "The Linux Command Line" linked in the OP (it's free). Also the "Debian Wiki" and "Administrator's Guide" are full of useful info that people don't know because they're too lazy to RTFM. When you google your problems, include "debian" and one of those resources usually has you covered.
>>
I am trying to configure the god-tier herbstluftwm and need to mask keybindings for conkeror. I cannot seem to get any of my rules to work, however.

Would anyone be able to post a simple example demonstrating a condition and consequence? It seems that not even tag= and fullscreen= are working.

I can post my config if need be
>>
>>56015800
>>56016096
ok I installed terminator and now vims working correctly, thanks guys
>>
>>56016126
It works on the terminal and on gvim, what are you even trying?
>>
File: 1458486661188.png (201KB, 295x423px) Image search: [Google]
1458486661188.png
201KB, 295x423px
>>56016126
Please avoid using the term “google” as a verb, meaning to search for something on the internet. “Google” is just the name of one particular search engine among others. We suggest to use the term “search the web” or (in some contexts) just “search”. Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy.
>>
>>56015787

Why would you want to disable it?
>>
>>56016211
It's useless in my case. I just want to run what's really necessary.
>>
>>56016151
CLEARLY IT DOESN'T WORK WELL FOR TERMINALS BASED ON >>56015524. HERE'S A FUCKING PICTURE OF THE SOURCE CODE FOR YOU TO SHOW HOW IT DOESN'T SPECIFY TERMINAL COLORS. SURE IT "WORKS" IN THE TERMINAL, BUT IT LOOKS LIKE INCONSISTENT DOGSHIT. I don't care if you're baiting me.

>>56016174
>Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy.
I honestly tried searx and other alternatives, but they all suck dick compared to Google. I don't care if my search data for weird fetishes is out there somewhere if it means I get the ultra-convenience of google and all its built-in utilities.
>>
>>56015787
Stopping stops a service, if you want to disable it you'd have to disable it or it will come back after reboot if it was enabled before.
>>
>>56016246
Not the themes fault. It obviously worked for you: >>56015800 still don't know what you're on about. Also stop yelling like a girl.
>>
>>56016246
It does specify terminal colors. Are you even able to read your own pic?
>>
>>56016282
I am >>56016282 you shitlord. I have nothing more to say to you, except that you're a moron.
>>56016300
Yeah, like <10% are specified for the terminal, so compared to GVim, tons of colors are missing including the primary background color. The Dracula dev(s) were too lazy to make a terminal approximation.
>>
>>56016253
Ah, I didn't express myself correctly. I did use disable on it, but it still comes back at reboot. I assume the system is being asked to enable the service on init. How could I check it if that's the case?
>>
>>56016337
>I am >>56016282 (You)#
lol

Also confirmed for not being able to read vims colorscheme syntax.
cterm = is terminal colors
gui = gui colors

Even a monkey could figure this out.
>>
>>56016002
Type
man intro
. Read stuff. Keep learning stuff.
>>
>>56016371
kek, never knew about this after 5 years of GNU/Linux. Saved.
>>
>>56016339
The interwebs, which would tell you that you can't simply disable it.
>>
>>56016468
Is that true? Searching the web didn't give me a single definitive answer before. I remember finding something about masking the service, but I'm not sure how to do it (or if that would solve the issue at all).
>>
Leaving this here because I know some of you will appreciate it and the thread I started has received no attention. Anyways, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/10/microsoft_secure_boot_ms16_100/
Microsoft leaked the golden keys that unlock Windows-powered tablets, phones and other devices sealed by Secure Boot – and is now scrambling to undo the blunder.

These skeleton keys can be used to install non-Redmond operating systems on locked-down computers. In other words, on devices that do not allow you to disable Secure Boot even if you have administrator rights – such as ARM-based Windows RT tablets – it is now possible to sidestep this block and run, say, GNU/Linux or Android.

What's more, it is believed it will be impossible for Microsoft to fully revoke the leaked keys.

And perhaps most importantly: it is a reminder that demands by politicians and crimefighters for special keys, which can be used by investigators to unlock devices in criminal cases, will inevitably jeopardize the security of everyone.
>>
I have Awesome on Arch and it displays the time 5 hours ahead and idk why bc I'm using the correct timezone.
Plz help its been bugging me for a while and i cant figure out how to fix it :c
>>
>>56016632
open terminal -> enter date
Is it correct?
>>
>>56016632
post a screenshot showing both the time you're referring to, and a terminal you've run "timedatectl" in
>>
>>56016679
The Universal and RTC time are somewhat correct( off my 2 mins) but its using the local time which is the correct location( Los Angeles area) but the incorrect time.
>>
>>56016725
Current UTC is 21:17
>>
>>56016725
are you dual booting windows by chance?

windows sets the RTC (the physical clock hardware) to local time by default, whereas linux sets it to UTC by default, this can cause problems when dual booting

assuming you don't care if the clock is wrong up until you're connected to the internet, you can simply enable NTP in linux to have it sync the clock over the internet automatically (i see it's off right now)
sudo timedatectl set-ntp 1
>>
>>56016801
oh yea, there's also "set-local-rtc" to match windows
i personally rarely use windows, so i opted to just disable NTP in windows and not care that the clock is wrong while in windows
>>
>>56016801
i am dual boot with win7. I've heard you also have to boot back into windows every so oftern or one of them will have an incrrect clock, is that true, if it is do you know why.

Thanks btw, will it take a restrt to process?
>>
>>56016837
>will it take a restrt to process?
no, it should be almost immediate (your tray clock might only update every minute, however)
>>
>>56016837
setting linux to local time might be a better idea (well, you should have NTP enabled anyway for better accuracy)
sudo timedatectl set-local-rtc 1

this will make linux treat the RTC the same way windows does, so they will never conflict

there is a way to make windows use UTC, like linux, but it's not really supported
>>
>>56016837
Read the guide about dual-booting windows on the wiki
>>
>>56016900

>Windows doesn't use UTC

Only Microsoft could be this retarded.
>>
So if I already have Linux installed on my entire disk and want to install Windows 7, what is the best method of doing this? Shrinking my root partition in Gparted, or using Windows 7 installer? Also, how would I boot back into Linux once GRUB gets overwritten. Please help

Once windows is installed should I boot into a rescue cd and edit the grub.cfg file and then chroot into the linux distro and run "grub-mkconfig
>>
> Recommend Linux to friends
> 'It's really good you guys, it just werks!'
> it does just werk
> right up until people are watching
> then my laptop throws every obstacle it can at me
> kill self

Why? I love Linux but if this keeps happening I don't think I'll ever convince anyone to use it.

I'm thinking of installing Arch.
>>
>>56017279
personally i would (and have done);
- make room for and create an ntfs-formatted partition
- run qemu with the disk and windows dvd attached
- install windows to the new partition
- close the vm
- reinstall grub
that's it, don't even need to leave linux at all
>>
>>56017378
>I don't think I'll ever convince anyone to use it.
So what?
>>
What's the appeal of Debian?
>>
What was /g/'s first Linux?

> Fedora Core 2
>>
A pretty bad wifi connection on my laptop since I installed Debian, but else this is really cool.
>>
I just got manjaro with xfce (first time using something other than ubuntu+unity)

I don't really feel at home with this enviroment, should I get KDE instead, and if so how?
>>
>>56017387
should mention, if your disk has any windows-supported partitions on it already (fat32, ntfs, exfat, etc) unmount them in linux before running the VM!
windows will mount them, and mounting something read-write twice is a bad idea!

if you're not sure how to run qemu, this will do;
sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -m 512M --enable-kvm -hda /dev/sdz -cdrom ~/windows.iso -boot d

(where sdz is is the disk you're installing to)
>>
File: 1465748278836.png (1MB, 896x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1465748278836.png
1MB, 896x1100px
>>56017378
>Go on kikebook page for my university class.
>People discussing computers and software for upcoming year.
>No thinkpads.
>Tons of macfaggery.
>'Hey guys windows 10 or OSX'.

Thus far I've resisted the urge to tell people to install arch.

I've come to realize that millenials are somehow worse with technology than the generation before them.

Eventually you suppress the desire to help, and you just cynically look past their normie ways.

>>56017477
>Debian VM for a couple weeks.
>Then Arch only.
>>
Little help:
I bought a laptop with windows 7, but I want to dual boot with my old laptop's HDD without reinstalling linux.

The laptop has uefi and secure boot, the distro is mint. Is it possible to install grub/wtv without completely reinstalling linux?
>>
File: simplymepis-3.3.png (254KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
simplymepis-3.3.png
254KB, 1280x1024px
>>56017477
SimplyMEPIS 2004.4
>>
>>56017583
-- and yes, UI's have gone downhill since KDE 3
>>
File: IMAG0684.jpg (2MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0684.jpg
2MB, 1520x2688px
What should I put on this poor little thing?
>>
>>56017524
every generation is bad with technology. even though computers are so ubiquitous nowadays that nearly every household has one, most people can barely use them outside of opening their pre-installed browser and going to facebook or amazon.
>>
Why are uploads updates so incredibly slow on my manjaro machine?

It took me 20 seconds to download 3 mb when it should have taking me less than one. I've run speedtests and all so nothing wrong on my end.
>>
>>56017639
Gentoo, Arch Linux, or Fedora.
>>
>>56017686
My bad, I was connected to a terrible mirror.
>>
>>56017665
But my generation has had so much time and experience with it.

I went to a pretty swanky school, and they had us using Microshaft Office by 3rd grade, a Photoshop clone by 4th grade, and we could even make shitty flash animations by 5th grade.

It was amazing to see that years later the same kids didn't even know how to navigate the menus in Word.

I moved schools in highschool, and at the new school everyone was required to buy a macbook. The school installed monitoring software and locked the bootloader. They also had downloadable scripts that would check things like hard-disk space, because people were literally too inept to right click their hard-disk and view its properties.

I know people that don't know what an ethernet cable is for.

I'm pretty sure millenials are the worst when it comes to technology. (The only group that comes close are the Greatest Generation, but generally they're willing to learn, and don't need to use technology as they're all long-retired).
>>
Has anyone tried installing Arch on hyper-v with windows 10?

I can't seem to get my display to be bigger than 800x600
>>
File: batmanvsuperman10440.png (1MB, 1904x804px) Image search: [Google]
batmanvsuperman10440.png
1MB, 1904x804px
> not only does Batman run Linux, he uses a tiling WM

How's it feel to have your life validated? Feels pretty good to me.
>>
>>56017808
current tech is just too simple/basic
more and more programs are hiding away anything remotely uncommon, and newcomers aren't forced to learn anything
>>
>>56018002
That's true actually.
>Have the unfortunate experience of using safari.
>Try to save image off of kikestagram.
>No inspect element option.
>Have to enable developer mode.

Also here's another great story I'd like to share with you guys.

I went to my local Apple store with a friend a couple days ago. He wanted one of those charging cases for his phone and we couldn't find one anywhere else.

>I ask Apple store worker how many milliamp hours the case is.
>She doesn't know what mAh is.
>I tells her its basically how much battery is in the battery.
>She googles her own product, because there was no info on the box.
>She says its 600 mAh or something like that, and shows me the amazon store page on her iphone.
>The manufacturer of the case is 'mophie'.
>She says 'mophie, I wonder if that's what the m stands for?'
>Say thanks, leave store.

How are people this fucking dumb?
>>
>>56018002
This. Nobody understands technology because they don't have to and have no incentive to.

I've had people call Linux shit because you have to install and configure it yourself.

> have unfortunate experience of having to boot into windows 10 to update my bios
> we're setting everything up for you
> umm...
> we're setting everything up for you
>>
>>56017978
>Forward slash
>>
>>56017978
>/dev/LEECH0
>L:/
>>
>>56017639
install gentoo
>>
>>56018183
It takes a long while.

Remember that you have to access that secret troubleshooting menu to get to bios settings.
>>
>Linux Lite
>such a lightweight distro
>based on Ubuntu
>very lightweight
>comes with over 1,700 packages
>idles at 1.2GB memory consumption just to run XFCE and start up apps

Why are Ubuntu distributions so fucking retarded?

Are there any lightweight live USB install XFCE distros that are actually lightweight? Every distro I find adds a whole fuck ton of useless shit. I can't do a .NET install because no ethernet.
>>
Probably a stupid question but how do full screen applications and games work in tiling WMs like i3?
>>
>>56018321
$mod + f to fullscreen.
Works fine for me.
>>
Hey guys, I'll be installing a distro to an old pc of a friend of mine and I was wondering, which is the most lightweight distro I could get? I haven't seen the rig in question yet, but I know it's from the '00s. He just wants to use his PC for browsing and watching videos in HD. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
>>
>>56018287
Appealing to the lowest common denominator. That and most people aren't aware of distros outside of Ubuntu and its spins.
>>
>>56018340
The most lightweight? Something like Puppy Linux. Reasonably light? Minimal install of Debian with XFCE or LXDE.
>>
>>56018444
Seconding Debian with XFCE.
It ran under 200MB memory usage for just having a few applications open.
>>
Is there a smaller distro than Tiny Core?
>>
Anyone here running bspwm? I need a ballin dot file.
>>
>>56018444
Debian with dwm
>>
What command can I use to view stats for a diresctory, for example output how much space is being taken up by said directory.
>>
Why is everyone recommending Debian? Is it superior to Arch? Why?
>>
>>56018340
Is he competent at all with linux?

I would suggest Manjaro with XFCE or MATE if he doesn't know linux very well. Show him how to use Octopi and he's set. If he needs even more lightweight, go with LXDE.

If he knows linux a little bit, I would suggest Manjaro with a tiling DE like i3. Same principle.

I'm assuming he doesn't know linux very well or you wouldn't be doing this for him. Manjaro is Arch based so it isn't as cancerous as Ubuntu, or virgin confirmed like Fedora. Manjaro is basically Arch for noobs. It comes with a GUI installer, various flavors, etc. /g/ always says it's "Ubuntu but unstable" but I've been using it almost 2 years now with stability issues.
>>
Manjaro is to Arch as ____ is to Gentoo. I knew there was a distro that is Gentoo based, but I forgot the name. I think it started with a T.
>>
>>56018510
I would be using debian right now if it supported my new laptop's hardware.

I ended up installing arch instead and now find the AUR to be an indispensible tool.

Generally I like it more than using Debian because installing things is that much easier, and their is better support for newer hardware.
>>
>>56018510
>Why Debian over Arch?
- stability
- usability
- popularity

Arch isn't as stable, it isn't as usable without a ton of work, and it has less users overall, meaning less devs fixing problems and less support overall when you run into problems.

Arch is still a great distro (and so are distros based on it) but Debian is better to recommend to most people.
>>
>>56018536
Sabayon?
>>
>>56018537

AUR isn't a one way ticket to getting BTFO. Stay safe anon.
>>
>>56018510
i always recommend the non-hobbyist distro
>>
>>56018490
http://dotshare.it
>>56018503
du
>>
>>56018555
Which Debian? Stable? Is unsable more stable than Arch?
>>
File: 1438828254117.jpg (49KB, 550x535px) Image search: [Google]
1438828254117.jpg
49KB, 550x535px
>barely anyone on /g/ used gentoo
>>
>>56018562
Please elaborate, only a couple months into the Linux journey here.
>>
>>56018585
Not as bleeding edge as Arch and there's really no point in compiling everything in current year.
>>
>>56018589
They aren't secure and you can get fucked by a malicious user
>>
>>56018609
I've been here for at least a decade now, your petty insults are meaningless
>>
>>56018610
Do people actually install random shit from the AUR? Why not limit yourself only to popular software not found in the official repo?
>>
I have this smart failed hdd. But still works as external hdd

Does ext4 file system doesn't shit itself while installing to a smart failed hdd? Ntfs windows just fails everytime
>>
>>56018585
dumb frogposter
>>
>>56018646
because even popular software can be compromised
>>
>>56018589

AUR is a community managed repository. You may think you're installing an official ___ package but it may be embedded with viruses, keyloggers, etc. By the time it's caught and removed by moderators, who knows how many people were infected.

I'm not saying I don't use AUR, but I'm just saying it's not an "indispensable" tool. Look, I can just click this button to install Java, I don't have to do it the hard way!. Always check where the packages are being downloaded from. Even then, it's safe open it first in a test environment.
>>
>>56018287
> not using LXQT
> Not using Arch

Memes aside, if you need speedy and lightweight, Arch or Gentoo with LXQT is what you want.
>>
>>56018670
>LXQT

Did I read last week that the dev is dropping support for it or something?
>>
>>56018575
>which Debian?
Whichever works for you.
>Is Debian Unstable more stable than Arch?
I dunno. It probably depends on your system and the packages that you use. I don't think you'll find a definite answer unless you try both of them on your system.

>>56018649
dumb "dumb frogposter" poster
It's actually getting to this point.
>>
>>56018670

>LxQT
>having to install themes for Openbox, LXDE, and QT
>will never find a theme that has all 3 so you end up with a shitty looking desktop
>have to jump through hoops to enable GTK theme support again

No thanks.
>>
>>56018646
The point of the AUR is the KISS thing. Ofc it's insecure, but instead of retard friendly, it's more user friendly. If you use Arch, you should be intelligent enough to check source code or who the developer is before you install something from the AUR.
>>
>>56018536
Was Trisquel Gentoo based?

Can someone explain to me why anyone would use Slackware?

> harder to install than Gentoo
> no package manager
> uses old as fuck versions of programs
> hard to maintain
> only one guy works on it

Why? Why do that to yourself?
>>
>>56018698
Just stop posting frogs, It's an overused and dead meme.
>>
>>56018575
> Which debian
Testing or Sid. Stable has outdated as fuck packages (I'm talking kernels in the 3.x.x stage).

> more stable than Arch
Don't know.
>>
>>56018707

Because it's muh oldest active linux distro

Only know one person irl that uses Slackware, and he's an autistic bitcoin shiller.
>>
>>56018666
So far all I've downloaded is spotify and a handful of themes.

Luckily I've been checking the sources yaourt DL's things from. I only use the AUR if there is no repo alternative, ofc.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

Also:
>Is there anyway to tell if you've been BTFO'd by a malicious package?
>>
>>56018726
Does Slackware even have a package manager?
>>
File: 782_1000.jpg (98KB, 766x1022px) Image search: [Google]
782_1000.jpg
98KB, 766x1022px
>>56018603
Gentoo is a lot more stable than Arch tho
>>
>>56018702
>>have to jump through hoops to enable GTK theme support again
Who the fuck runs LXDE or LXQt for looks? They're minimal DEs meant for old/slow computers.

>>56018718
I've never even had a picture of Pepe, I just think it's ironic that "dumb frogposter" is becoming the very thing it hates. Thanks for absolutely confirming that for me.
>>
>>56018666
[citation needed]
Same shit can happen on every distro if you blindly install software without checking it against git/svs/bzr

>java
Why would you be installing java from aur?
Every aur helper i've used defaults to main repos enabled in your config. This includes oracles java and openjdk

>spreading fud

>virus
>linux
kek
>rootkit
>>
>>56018744
Its not stable.
If i spend 6 days out of the week to compile and install it...
>>
File: broken-window.jpg (15KB, 300x235px) Image search: [Google]
broken-window.jpg
15KB, 300x235px
>>56017970
Windows 10 is sabotaging your install. Uninstall Windows 10 and your problem will be fixed.
>>
>be debian user
>don't know how to compile program XY
>check the AUR
>read pkgbuild
>know how to compile program XY
>everything works
>mfw
am I a bad person
>>
>>56018765
That's exactly why it's stable
>>
>>56018795
not, you're free to do that in the floss world
>>
>>56018797
If i never get to use my system, because its compiling. And in the time im compiling, it could turn unstable because you missed a package last week.
>>
To be more compatible between systems, wouldn't it be better to use perl or python instead of shell scripting?
>>
File: screenshot_496[1].png (617KB, 1024x600px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_496[1].png
617KB, 1024x600px
is there anyway to imitate gnomes "show all applications" shortcut on openbox?
>>
>>56018114
>Try to save image off of kikestagram.
On GNU/Linux, you can write a shell script to download all photos of the instashit account. No need to open the browser, save cookies, and be tracked.
>>
>>56018867
do you have a script handy?

not that proficient with scripting yet, and why reinvent the wheel
>>
>>56018850
Shell scripting is more consistent because it's built-in to the system and doesn't have major updates. Python and Perl aren't necessarily installed on all systems, and even if they were, they would probably have conflicting versions.
>>
I have an Arch install set up but should I switch to Gentoo/Funtoo?

Fuck I can't make a decision.
>>
>>56016246
>I honestly tried searx and other alternatives, but they all suck dick compared to Google.
How about DuckDuckGo? The best point is that, if you don't find what you want, you can tell it to search on Google for you!

>I don't care if my search data for weird fetishes is out there somewhere if it means I get the ultra-convenience of google and all its built-in utilities.
And you say, on a freedom thread, that you don't want freedom? These apps are evil!
>>
>>56018911
Read the docs about the differences till you can decide.
>>
>>56018912
DuckDuckGo has bad results compared to Google, and I don't find their utilities as intuitive or useful. Also DuckDuckGo isn't even fully FOSS, so it's a bit hypocritical to suggest it over Google.
>>
taking an intro to Linux class next semester, any tips before I dive in?
>>
>>56018867
This was before I knew Linux was anything more than ubuntu, and I was using a locked-down macbook.
>>
>>56018950
If you read "The Linux Command Line" (linked in the OP) before your class starts, you'll be a wizard and likely breeze through the class.
>>
>>56018948
>isn't even fully FOSS
The main point isn't being fully-FOSS, but respecting privacy. Google sells your profile to advertisers, but DuckDuckGo sells simply the search word, not taking into account who you are.

>DuckDuckGo has bad results compared to Google
What I do: I search on DuckDuckGo. If I can't find what I want, I tell it to search on Google using the BANG!. That's why DuckDuckGo is my main search engine: if I can find what I need, great, if I can't, there is Google waiting for me.
>>
>>56018948
>bad results compared to
It's still surprising how people take the bait of convenience, absolutly knowing that they get tracked and sold like a piece of meat. But it's okay for them, because the bait tastes so good.

>Also DuckDuckGo isn't even fully FOSS
Use searx then. I wouldn't trust DDG anyway.
>dev owned a datamining company before
>based in the US
>>
Funtoo vs Arch

Make my decision.
>>
>>56019024
Make you own faggot.
>>
>>56018888
I know this one:
https://github.com/andersbateva/Instagram-downloader
But do you understand Portuguese? The interface is written on this language...
>>
>>56018994
>Google sells your profile to advertisers
Doesn't bother me
>If I can't find what I want
I don't like that. I like finding what I want on the first try.

>>56019012
>people take the bait of convenience
Yeah, I'm such a retard for caring about my convenience over my worthless search history.
>Use searx then
Like I said in my original post, Searx sucks dick compared to Google. It mixes in the garbage results of other searches by default, has a terrible layout (especially for images), and doesn't have any of the myriad of utilities that are built into Google search. I legitimately tried it for multiple months, just like DuckDuckGo.

I'm a big supporter of FOSS and Stallman's writings are what persuaded me, but I really don't care about whatever data Google has on me, and I don't feel restricted or controlled in any way. Please tell me more about why Google search is evil.
>>
>>56018911
No, emerge has nothing on pacman
>>
>>56019102
In what way?
>>
>>56019024
Coin flip says Funtoo.

If you don't want randomness, it's a question of systemd (arch) vs. no systemd (funtoo).
>>
>>56019012
>I wouldn't trust DDG anyway.
Why?
>>
>>56019124
oh shit I forgot about that. I would have to use Gentoo if I want systemd.
>>
>>56019099
Did you even use searx for more than 2 seconds? Go to the settings menu and enable/disable search engines, save the cookie, enjoy your superior results.
>>
>>56019042
I do not recommend making faggots. Not even hetero people. The degenerates on 4chan should be castrated, not spread their genes to the world.

Also, remember to be FRIENDLY.
>>
>>56019102
> pacman better than emerge

Literally only better in terms of speed.

If you don't mind waiting for it to compile, Emerge is the god-tier best package manager, bar none.
>>
>>56019130
https://8
ch.net/tech/ddg.html
>>
Why does no one ever talk about suse?
>>
>>56019157
[citation needed]
>>
File: 1443873415176.png (120KB, 2000x1433px) Image search: [Google]
1443873415176.png
120KB, 2000x1433px
>>56019176
Because of the logo.
>>
>>56019099
Well, if you don't bother to being tracked, and want the easiest way, why are you on /fglt/? You should be using Windows 10. It tracks you and is the easiest shit avaiable.

>my worthless search history
It's not worthless. As this data goes to the government, it can hurt your freedom of speech.
>>
>>56019176
Bloated as fuck.
>>
photoshop alternatives that are not GIMP? i don't need super advanced tools
>>
>>56019249
>i don't need super advanced tools
krita
>>
>>56019269
will try that, thanks
>>
>>56019145
Did you even read my post? I said "by default." I'm aware that there are settings, and a majority of my time using Searx was done with only Google as the source for results. I think it's dumb that they mix in other sources by default, and I have to go in and change a setting every time I'm on a PC that isn't mine. This is exactly the shit that you hate to deal with after multiple months of use.

>>56019176
It works fine and it's boring. It doesn't have enough of an identity or goal besides being "open and usable"

>>56019206
>You should be using Windows 10
An operating system is bigger and more important than an internet search utility. As I said, I agree with the principles of FOSS, but (for example) I still run Debian with non-free software because the overall convenience outweighs my disdain for proprietary evils.

I use FOSS as much as possible, but not when I have to break my back to do so.

>As this data goes to the government, it can hurt your freedom of speech.
How?
>>
>>56019098
no, but i'll check it out anyway thanks bby
>>
>>56019379
>How?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_%28surveillance_program%29
>>
>>56019379
>How?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_641A
>>
>>56019379
User search terms are usually more private than stuff they have on their computer.
>>
>>56019190
man 1 emerge
man 1 ebuild
man 5 ebuild
man 5 make.conf
man 5 portage

Extra credit:
man 1 eix
man 1 equery
man 8 layman

Essential Arch user reading:
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
>>
>>56019379
>An operating system is bigger and more important than an internet search utility.
>OS more important than internet search

You think people would be using their oasses as frequently as they use if there were no search engines? Why do people refuse to use TOR, ZeroNet, Freenet, etc?

Anyway, how importance denies the fact that search engines can sell your information?
>>
>>56019463
>Why do people refuse to use TOR, ZeroNet, Freenet, etc?
Because they fall for the "added to the NSA watchlist" meme.
>>
>>56019481
I don't fall for this meme, but it's frustrating to use for hours without finding anything useful.
>>
>>56019195
Pepe is a frog not a lizard
>>
>>56019379
Me again. Just to make this clear, I consider using Searx or DDG to be "breaking my back" compared to using Google search.

>>56019393
>>56019403
I already know about mass-surveillance and disagree with it. Could you just tell me how my search history affects my freedom of speech in any way?

>>56019406
Debatable, and depends on the person. I care more about the data on my drives than I do about my search history.

>>56019463
>How does importance deny the fact that search engines can sell your information?
It doesn't, but the data being sold is less important to me than the entirety of data going through my OS.
>>
>>56019522
>the data being sold is less important to me than the entirety of data going through my OS
How do you get your data? Floppy disks?

>Could you just tell me how my search history affects my freedom of speech in any way?
Yes:
>People begin to be afraid to search and be caught by police for getting information. Example: reading about paedophilia on Wikipedia will get me into trouble?
>People get distorted information. Google censors pirate results, and in one case it's personalization (that needs to track you) changed the search results for Wikimedia Foundation members. They elected a corrupt Google employee after googling by it's past and discovering nothing. It needed to be fired after the community pointed to some facts.
>You already admitted that you like the services Google provides you just for having an account. This lends all information to just one company, helping to form a monopoly of the information. All this power to just one company can be really bad, like Faceshit did on India with FreeBasics/Internet.org
>>
Is there a way to save the current layout on my desktop and have it launch the same way? My second virtual desktop has a music player and chat set up in a place where I like it and I don't want to open it every time I boot. I'm running Arch on KDE/Openbox
>>
>>56019689
xdotool or wmctrl

read out the current positions, create a script that places the windows
>>
>>56019452
All i see is you meme'ing systemd is baaaad duurrr.
>>
Thoughts on Void? Currently on Arch, thinking about to switch, but I don't know if there are memes I should check first.
>>
>>56019587
>How do you get your data?
By downloading it from the internet or an external device, or by writing it myself. I mostly agree with the things you say, but it's legitimately frustrating and painful to search outside of Google.

Functionality is what mostly matters to people. More people are using GNU/Linux because it's gotten a lot more functional over the years. I hope DDG or Searx improve, so that I can use them without getting frustrated.
>>
I'm getting "Error while writing screenshot!" with mpv, never happened before. Couldn't google any solution. Any help?
>>
>>56019858
>google
Here we go again.

>>56019858
Did you change the format or the screenshot directory in your config?
>>
>>56019828
>By downloading it from the internet
So you admit you are reporting to Google each content you obtain and store on your hard disc... The government does not need to look your hard disc to know what you got into it.

>it's legitimately frustrating and painful to search outside of Google
Only if you totally refuse Google search. I prefer not using, so I use the Duck. But if I could not find what I wanted, I bang! Google inside the Duck and get what I want.

When I tried the Duck before, and decided I would not use Google anymore, things became frustrating, because I compared the frustrating search results and saw that Google was better. But have you already tried to compare when the Duck performs well? It's not bad. Like, if I forgot 4chan address, it doesn't matter which search engine I use, it's the first result or something on the first page. So, you don't need to stop using Google totally, just avoid whenever Duck is sufficient. If it's not, bang!
>>
>>56019858
See:
>>56016174
>>
>>56019858
>>56019893
Also test
mpv --no-config file.mkv
>>
>>56019820
void is void of any packages
and meme
and shit
>>
File: iwkoqt.gif (496KB, 168x130px)
iwkoqt.gif
496KB, 168x130px
>>56019930
Please stop pushing your agenda, you are entitled to your own opinion, but constantly vomiting the same 4 lines, is wastefull, and proof that your platform lacks any actual merit
>>
>>56019984
>4 lines
You know that not everyone have the same screen resolution as you?
>>
>>56019984
>>56020023
stop
>>
When will Arch have full SELinux support?
>>
>>56020052
Go away NSA
>>
File: Wget_1.13.4.png (94KB, 481x372px) Image search: [Google]
Wget_1.13.4.png
94KB, 481x372px
I'm having trouble with "wget". It prints many info, but I only want it to report that a file was downloaded. So, I piped "grep" to print only "100%" out of wget, and this way get the screen cleaner. But, this is not enough for me, as each "100%" is printed on a new line, and this gives me a flood of new lines. Is it possible to pipe "tr" to turn the line breaks of the "grep" into spaces, and still be live? When I add tr, the "100%" are all printed at the same time at the end, and I need them live.
>>
>>56020074
NSA doesn't want you to know about SELinux, you silly goy.
>>
What is a good distro to use on a vm.Just going to use it for browsing so need xorg,dont need anything beyond image media.
>>
>>56020101
it was literally developed by the NSA
>>
>>56016174
should use duck it instead
>>
>>56020106
You can use Ubuntu, but it contains malware.
>>
>>56020091
use the -nv switch
>>
Are there WM's other than KWin which pair up nicely with KDE (my DE of choice), or is it a matter of any of them potentially working and it's only down to preference? A quick look-up on google shows a lot of people using Awesome with KDE.

(If it isn't completely obvious by my question, I know fuckall about WM's.)
>>
>>56020130
(for wget)
>>
>>56017978
> Batman wants to fight superman because Superman did
>1
>2
>3 4
>>
>>56020130
>>56020210
No, -nv means no "100%", and each file takes one line too. I was using:
 -q --show-progress --progress=bar:noscroll 
>>
>>56017639
FREEDOS
FREEDOS
>>
>>56019924
>So you admit you are reporting to Google each content you obtain and store on your hard disc.
No, because I don't use Google for literally every website, they don't know what pages I go to beyond clicking the result they gave me, and they don't know what files I've downloaded or what I've done to those files. I still say that search engine data is less important/vital than OS data.

>>56019924
Alright, I concede and will attempt to use DDG again (but only because it's less questionable than Google). How do you feel about DDG being partially proprietary?

Also thanks for taking the time and energy to argue/explain this stuff with me. I feel like I've enjoyed/benefited from this discussion a lot.
>>
>>56020332
>they don't know what pages I go to beyond clicking the result they gave me
You know that Google has other services like ads and tracking, or when you talked about their services being practical you had on mind only Docs/Drive?

Each site with Doubleclick, recaptcha (hey, 4chan), AdSense/Adwords/Adchoice, YouTube embedded video, Google Plus button, report back to Google who is visiting what. How would they be able to personalize the ads without identifying the person visiting the page?
>>
File: siH2E8l.jpg (107KB, 914x1212px) Image search: [Google]
siH2E8l.jpg
107KB, 914x1212px
What makes a package manager good?
>>
>>56020552
When it's mine :へ)
>>
How the fuck do I compile this shit?!

https://github.com/rakshasa/libtorrent

There is no ./configure file
>>
>>56020581
>using the smiley with a carrot nose
>>
>>56020332
>Also thanks for taking the time and energy to argue/explain this stuff with me.
You're welcome. I even forgot that this was a friendly thread and people could thank each other. I appreciate being useful.

>I concede and will attempt to use DDG again
Do you know the bang! feature? I mentioned it on the replies, but I don't know if you know it. The first time I used DDG, I was not aware of its existence, but it's very useful.
https://duckduckgo.com/bang

>How do you feel about DDG being partially proprietary?
If the software doesn't runs on my computer, I can't check it's source anyways. I would need to go inside the DDG facilities, steal some servers, and check the code. So it's not very relevant, DDG provides a service, not software. The open source is the part the community improves (Instant Answers), so it's enough for me.

Look at who is using DDG and not caring too...
>For searching, I have mostly used DuckDuckGo for the past couple of years.
https://stallman.org/cgi-bin/showpage.cgi?path=/stallman-computing.html

Telegram is open-source on the client, and proprietary on the server. I don't care too, and use it.
>>
Ubuntu 16.04 is localhost, remote ssh server exists with stuff on it, make folder on ~/ to mount it to. Use:

sshfs user@remote:/files ~/files

to mount it.

Later on:
ls: cannot open directory '.': Transport endpoint is not connected

How to make it persistent and automatic on boot? Fstab? Autofs?
>>
>>56015800
How can i get that wifi icon, im connecting to wifi via wifi-menu since i installed arch+gnome
>>
Awhile ago I did install of Debian and chose Xfce in the installer. Recently I made a minimal install of Debian and installed Xfce afterwards, but none of my gtk2 themes from the old install look right, the all have graphical errors. What do I need to install to fix gtk themes? I already installed the gtk+2.0 package.
>>
>>56020677
What de/wm am I looking at?
>>
>>56020710
DE: GNOME
WM: GNOME Shell
>>
Is there anyway to get a Creative sound card to work on Linux, Arch in particular or am I fucked? Its the sound blaster recon3d. I've tried just about everything and I'm about to just go buy a card from a company that supports Linux.
>>
>>56020754
You have a better chance of getting laid than getting a sound card to work in Linux.
>>
File: 1470867514637.png (1MB, 1600x900px)
1470867514637.png
1MB, 1600x900px
Anyone here know what kind of WM this is in the pic? Also how od they make their windows like they do with margins and shit?
>>
>>56020611
autoconf configure.ac, it's in the INSTALL
>>
>Installs debian jessie
>graphics driver and everything not properly supported (laptop was released on late 2015)
>upgraded to stretch(kernel 4.6)
>screen doesn't turn on after grub
>same shit happens on kernel 4.7
>using xubuntu 16.04 now, "just works"

why is this happening?
I thought debian was really good.
>>
>>56020629
>posting the meme of using the smiley with a carrot
>>
>>56020786
i3 probably
>>
When i type nm-applet, i get
(nm-applet:13703): nm-applet-WARNING **: NetworkManager is not running

what do i do?
I got no wifi icon
>>
>>56020786
openbox
borderless windows with shadowing
>>
Can I get some Arch memes?
>>
>>56020868
sudo systemctl NetworkManager.service enable
>>
why is antergos so low on distrowatch? is there actually a glaring issue with it or whats the deal
>>
>>56020971
>sudo systemctl NetworkManager.service enable
Unknown operation NetworkManager.service.
>>
>>56021010
Oh got it mixed up, try

sudo systemctl enable NetworkManager.service

I'm assuming you're using networkmanager.

check /etc/init.d/ for a NetworkManager service file
>>
>>56021024
after 1st run
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/NetworkManager.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager-dispatcher.service.

after 2nd, it showed nothing
but when i run nm-applet i get
(nm-applet:13862): nm-applet-WARNING **: NetworkManager is not running
>>
>>56021058
try this

sudo /etc/init.d/NetworManager start
>>
>>56021073
sudo: /etc/init.d/NetworManager: command not found
>>
>>56021089
try running it as root
>>
>>56021099
>sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
same error
>>
>>56021089
Try spelling the command right
>>
>>56021117
Hmm so theoretically you enabled to Networkmanager service to start at boot. Perhaps restarting your computer will start the service.

Someone more experienced with linux will have to take over though, sorry
>>
>>56021125
it is same, i added 'k' first time
>>
File: 1457491893248.jpg (986KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1457491893248.jpg
986KB, 2048x1536px
So let's say I have an executable I use regularly since there is no .deb for the file.

I want to be able to associate the executable in a location (/opt/program/file) and be able to just type "Program-Name" in terminal.

That's called a symbolic link right? How do I get going with that?

I googled it a bit but it talked a bit about the link location so I'm a tad confused.
>>
>>56021177
Instead of putting it there why not just put it in your /bin directory?
>>
>>56021186
Is that standard?

I guess I just did that to keep track of what I manually put there and what wasn't put there. Really no good reason I suppose.
>>
>>56021177
>>56021186
I would create a symlink in /bin pointing to the executable in /opt/wathever
>>
>>56020868
enable/start the NetworkManager service

it tells you what's wrong right in the error text ngl fampai
>>
>>56020868
>>56021216
Sorry, that post wasn't very friendly of me. I didn't realize I was in /lgft/
>>
>>56021135
So i did systemctl start NetworkManager
didnt get error
typed nm-applet
and boom
>pic
>>
I just installed Manjaro i3.

Are there any good updated tutorials on i3 that are on YouTube? I've looked through the i3 help guide that Manjaro wrote but it's very basic. I know how every default keybind works, but I want to change the clock format in the status bar, add keybinds to open applications, etc.
>>
File: debian.png (59KB, 775x1024px) Image search: [Google]
debian.png
59KB, 775x1024px
>>56020677
Sorry, I dunno. I just installed Debian Testing (via the recommended method of first installing stable, and then carefully upgrading to testing). Maybe other Arch users know more about the wifi icon in GNOME 3.

>>56020849
You must have unique hardware. Not everyone has the same experience. The graphics driver issue isn't too uncommon (especially in stable). Usually you just need a package installed via backports.

Also upgrading to Testing isn't guaranteed to work. They tell you to check the recent bugs and mailing lists, and to wait a bit if you find that it currently has issues. Read the wiki thoroughly. It's also entirely possible that you made a small mistake. One time I accidentally changed the ~/.config folder to be owned by root, so when I logged in I got a black screen because my DE didn't have privileges to access .config folder. Once I figured that out (via much googling) I simply got into a virtual terminal, made myself the owner again, rebooted, and voila!
>>
File: 1458511320801.jpg (184KB, 1040x682px)
1458511320801.jpg
184KB, 1040x682px
>>56021214
>>56021186
Oh thanks i get it.

Another issue though - so I have it setup as /usr/local/bin/Program Folder/client -> /usr/bin/client

but I can only execute it with sudo now, and I think it has to do with the location. How can I make it so it doesn't require sudo? Do I need a different location for the program's folder?

Thanks anons.
>>
>>56021320
Code Cast has a good series on i3. It covers the basics of everything.
>>
Can somebody post that 'why Linux is not ready for the desktop' image and its rebuttal?

You know the ones -

> regressions, instability, bugs, bugs, bugs
> windows is in some capacities worse

I've decided I'm getting back on my free software proselytization mission and I need to be able to counter the first image cleanly.
>>
>>56021177
mkdir ~/bin

Its probly already in your path.
Put all programs you compile there
>>
>>56021269
Nice glad it's working
>>
>>56021439

>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>56021177

Put it in /bin

Put it wherever and create a symlink in /bin

Create an alias in .bashrc to open it from a terminal.

Your options that I know of.
>>
>>56020875
It's obviously i3. Just look at the bar.
>>
Guys is it possible to setup transmission-daemon to automatically start torrents that are added to a certain directory?
>>
>>56021483
... I'm vexed.

Oh, you're saying go there so I can get used to arguing with morons.

I'll do that if you post the images I requested.
>>
File: 1444536005946.png (162KB, 580x922px) Image search: [Google]
1444536005946.png
162KB, 580x922px
>>56020927
>>
>>56021007
distrowatch != quality level

All what distrowatch does is counting clicks.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-08-10_20-46-36.png (274KB, 1901x871px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-10_20-46-36.png
274KB, 1901x871px
Daily reminder:

Your neckbeard OS will never win.

> m-muh two percent market share

Wow, good job. Maybe in another 40 years you'll crack 3.
>>
File: halp.jpg (1MB, 5312x1052px)
halp.jpg
1MB, 5312x1052px
>>56014162
Recently formatted my macbook pro and installed elementary OS. After successful installation, I reboot, select elementaryOS from grub menu, and it freezes at this screen. No problem booting live "try elementary OS" from USB. halp?
>>
>>56021569
I'd prefer GNU/Linux even if it would be technically worse than Windows. I need an OS, not malware that restricts my workflow and spies on me.
>>
>>56021716
> Elementary OS
There's your problem. Try a real distribution, maybe one more up-to-date that isn't literally nothing more than an attempt to look like a mac while being Linux.

Pretty sure you can get Pantheon (the Elementary DE) installed on any distro you want.

As for the actual error message, that's got something to do with your hard drive, I believe. Try reinstalling, I guess, or maybe swap in another drive and try that.
>>
>>56021716
Do you know what filesystem you used?
>>
File: fixed.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
fixed.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>56021177
>>56021177
>>56021177
>>56021177
>>56021177
>>56021177
>>
>>56021569
>daily
pretty sure i didn't see this yesterday.

and the os won already, the desktop is but a mere skirmish in the massive war.
>>
>>56021509
Ay the alias bit worked perfectly. I dropped the folder into ~/bin, then created an alias file to link bash and zsh to it, and now everything is good. (Had to chown ~/bin though which was probably another issue entirely)

Cheers, anon.

>>56021761
Saved
>>
File: Windows Old.png (156KB, 2000x1638px)
Windows Old.png
156KB, 2000x1638px
>>56021569
Nice bait, I'll bite.

I think everyone is already aware that Windows is very popular, and that Linux has a lot of variety. There are loads of distros, forks, and spins out there (and more being made). From all the chaos and variety, the best things bubble to the top, the bad things dissipate, and the overall landscape improves.

At least Linux gets gradually better over time (especially within the last few years). Windows has been relatively unchanged since Windows 7 (7 years ago), and that wasn't much more than polish on XP. Their new OS is so bad that people won't take it even when it's free and being forced on them.
>>
>>56021759
well I just nuked it with DBAN and installed from live USB. I will take your advice on just using Pantheon with something
>>
>>56021784
People want to play games. That's 50% of what they do at their computer, which in impossible with Linux.
>>
>>56021761
Does this even werk?
>>
>>56021835
it just werks
>>
how go I make firefox use my gtk theme? it uses some gnome shit, and a bunch of other applications use gnome WM and gtk appearances which is terrible
>>
Best program for hotkeys?
>>
>>56021826
>People want to play games.
Not everyone.
>That's 50% of what they do at their computer,
[citation needed]
>, which in impossible with Linux.
It's not "impossible to game on Linux." True that most games are made for Windows, but you can still enjoy plenty in Linux.

Also good job not addressing anything I said, and just restating (poorly) one of the points in the original picture.
>>
>>56021872
I want to believe.
>>
>>56021761
Did you post that on a potato?
>>
Installing a distro for the first time.
Probably gonna choose Debian but the Debian thread is making me rethink my decision.
Any recommendations or is Debian fine?
>>
>>56017808
>>>56017665

>I moved schools in highschool, and at the new school everyone was required to buy a macbook.
Okay that's pretty standard. And my high school mcbook air was gr8 2bh. Go on
>The school installed monitoring software and locked the bootloader.
WHAT . WHYYY Nazi fucks
>They also had downloadable scripts that would check things like hard-disk space
Gahh.. Hhraaahhh HREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>56021923
;^) enim
>>
>>56021923
Always do the opposite what /g/ says.
>>
>>56021973
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
->
-> >>56022045
->
>>
>>56021923
> been using Fedora since I was about 6 years old

I highly recommend it. Having never used Debian, I can't speak to its quality, but I briefly used Ubuntu when I was maybe 10 and I enjoyed it. Debian is what Ubuntu is based on so I can't imagine it being a significantly worse system.

Since you're a newb, I'll forgo the install Gentoo but I will tell you that I used it when I was 17 and it was god-tier.
>>
How would I map a network drive in Mint Cinnamon?
>>
>>56022073
Uninstall.
>>
>>56022111
rude desu
>>
>>56018702
>>will never find a theme that has all 3 so you end up with a shitty looking desktop
No "installin" needed - Raleigh for GTK+ and Windows Style for Qt
Openbox has a few nice themes out of the box :-)

>have to jump through hoops to enable GTK theme support again
what?
>>
>>56018702
Plus you can use KWin instead of Openbox if that's your fancy.
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.