[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Installed Windows XP Mode and now I'm running the SP3 version

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: hey g.png (201KB, 1680x1048px) Image search: [Google]
hey g.png
201KB, 1680x1048px
Installed Windows XP Mode and now I'm running the SP3 version it comes with on Virtual PC. Is there anything useful or fun I can do with this?
>>
Is it even possible to run XP without an antivirus these days?
>>
>>56012100
Yes. What the fuck you can live in windows 7 without a virus scanner. dont download shit. srsly, and check md5 sums
>>
>>56012100
Well, I'm sure you can run it, but of course it wouldn't be very safe, if that's what you mean.
I'm not sure if I can even install any Windows Updates on this virtual machine, or if there's even any need since this is SP3 version and I'm not sure if Microsoft even pushes updates to XP anymore. So I've no idea if Avira + Windows Firewall has any effect on my security at all apart from common sense.
>>
>Is there anything useful or fun I can do with this?
Read Muv Luv
>>
>>56012166
>>56012147
I want to install XP on an old laptop and I just want to keep it as lightweight as possible.
Would having one administrator account that I use only to install trusted software and an ordinary account for everyday usage and web browsing (with adblocker and https everywhere) do the trick?
>>
>>56012166
You can still fetch updates for Windows xp I just did it the other day in a vm. Might have to install internet explorer 8 first for it to work
>>
>>56012257

>keep it as lightweight as possible

Have you considered WinFLP?
>>
>>56012100
No, it will just shut down if you don't install one
>>
>>56012046
install gentoo
>>
>>56012368
You have to have SP3 i think. I did a fresh install on an old thinkpad last month and it wouldnt let me download updates until then
>>
>>56012046
Play Pinball Space Cadet
>>
>>56012553
I love that game. It works on 7, 8.1, 10, and under WINE

Have a copy
https://mega.nz/#F!yYFnQJza!2lmvmnhbXuzxHtCtkN7HUA

or just copy it off your own VM or something.
>>
>Winamp
>Windows xp
>Firefox
How's that time bubble treating you?
>>
>>56012257
Lubuntu. Period.

You'll stay up to date and lightweight, going to web with XP is asking to get hurt.
>>
>>56012257
It wouldn't. You have hella unpatched vulnerabilities that not even an up to date browser can circumvent.
>>
>>56012589
Oh, cool, thanks for that. I've been a linux user for the last decade, but this does bring back childhood memories.
>>
>>56012633
Yeah, i have a XP VM just for old games from my childhood. One only runs on WINE though because xp doesnt support its ancient version of directx.

Just watch this fucking intro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofqhO-9CznM
>>
>>56012610
Doubt you can get the RAM usage for Lubuntu as low as XP. Why even use a DE at all if you want it lightweight?
>>
File: afi.png (99KB, 625x987px) Image search: [Google]
afi.png
99KB, 625x987px
>>56012100
Been running on the same install for 8 years now, with the occasional rootkit and MBAM scans, and I have gotten 0 results to this day.

So, yes.
>>
>>56012659
car was asking for it lol
>>
>>56012537
Yes, you're right you need sp3 first. But you could just use install media with sp3 integrated
>>
>>56012678
You don't want it low though, you want it working as fast as possible. Low RAM usage != better performance. True that XP might work better if your specs are extremely low, but I still don't think it's worth risking near certain infection.
>>
>>56012678
Oh and of course you don't NEED a DE, but it makes most people's lives much easier to use one. One of !# descendants might be a good alternative tho.
>>
>>56012729
I know. I use the restore in place feature of the access IBM shit and that was SP1. I thought that only apple had that shit but IBM had it in 2003.

Fucking bitch to find the service packs these days because every microsoft page relating to XP is now the support discontinued shit which just tells you to install windows 10.
>>
>>56012687
Ohboy.
>>
>>56012687
the last tru /g/entooman
>>
>>56012046
Download and install gentoo
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.