[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Razer Core: Eh...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: razer-core-6.png (539KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
razer-core-6.png
539KB, 1500x1000px
Since I first heard about it I've been quite interested since I'm mainly a laptop user for the mobility but when I'm home I like to enjoy a game or two.

Something bothers me though. Why is it so damn expensive? It seems like they try to get a crazy margin over this product by milking retarded buyers. Doesn't seem to be worth it for now but I don't really know how markets work, do you know when we should expect the price to decrease? A year? 2?
>>
I'M LIKE, EH
>>
>>56009339
The chinese already make cheap versions of this, some even let you plug in a desktop psu.

http://www.gearbest.com/laptop-accessories/pp_229101.html?
>>
>>56009442
Is this a cool way to blow up my graphics card?
>>
>>56009339
Just wait for the generic non-gaymer version that will be half the price.
>>
>>56009442
This is not Thunderbolt.
>>
>>56009791
>half the price
>$250
>for $100 PSU, hub and thunderbolt-pciex16 interface in a box
>>
>>56009339
Case, power supply, electronics, thunderbolt tax, driver R&D, niche product, no truly similar products yet.
>>
>>56009949
>Thunderbolt
>driver R&D
>>
$500 is not bad actually because it will guarantee you a few things that chink products won't. First of all, it's not DIY and in case it burns and fucks your shit up, you have the right to fuck razer up for their mistake. And you don't have to deal with wiring, they already attached a PSU with 8+8 cable outputs, that's all you need. Plus it implements thunderbolt 3, which intel probably puts a lot of licensing fee on. It is also a USB/Ethernet hub. The product is also supported with razer drivers which allow you to switch between GPUs and hotplugging the case without restarts. Also dank design unlike the chink products, so you don't need to make your own box or create huge space for it.

But it would be goat for $350-400 range.
>>
>>56009949
What about Alienware graphics amplifier?
>>
>>56009339
Because you need fucking permission from intel to develop a Thunderbolt 3 device. Thunderbolt is basically just PCIe to Thunderbolt3 to PCIe. All you really need for a GPU enclosure is a PSU, case and a PCB with the Thunderbolt 3 controller and a PCIe socket. There is nothing fucking difficult about this. It's just intel with their fucking protectionism that leads to mediocrity.

Most of the problems like driver support are already solved see AMD's Xconnect and NVIDIA's equivalent. UEFI also made it possible to plug in/out GPUs while the computer is still running for a long time.

>>56009442
That requires a ExpressCard slot. Basically no modern laptop comes with one of these. If you have Thunderbolt 2 though you can buy an expensive adapter for $150 from Thunderbolt 2 to ExpressCard called Echo Express SE II

>>56010600
That one uses a proprietary PCIe connector because they don't want to mess with intels licensing shit.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.