[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home Server Uses?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: dell poweredge r610.jpg (5KB, 350x144px) Image search: [Google]
dell poweredge r610.jpg
5KB, 350x144px
I recently got my hands on a server, but I don't know what to use it for?

What do you guys use your servers for, /g/?

Pic related
>>
>another I bought some garbage what can I do with it thread
delete yourself
>>
Sickrage, Transmission, Teamspeak, backup VPN and random projects oh yeah and an ARK game server.

btw need a new router that can handle 1gbit wan to lan over cable without freezing my current wnr3500lv2 is absolure shit, any recommendations without it costing 200 usd?
>>
>>56006365
You got an R610? Nice, thats some sweet hardware.

What do you need in your life? Fast, flexible media streaming? Make a Plex server. Have a family on Windows that should be monitored/controlled? SAMBA AD/DC. Want a cool sekrit place to chat with friends? IRC server, or Matrix-chat server. Want to download shit and give back? Seedbox. Want to protect yourself when you are out on the prowl? OpenVPN server. Want to share your shitty ideas with the world? Apache2 web server.

There are really a lot of possibilities. Either way, slap ESXI or Xen on there and play around with virtualisation, as it will make life easier in the future, and is a good skillset.
>>
>>56006403
>btw need a new router that can handle 1gbit wan to lan over cable without freezing my current wnr3500lv2 is absolure shit, any recommendations without it costing 200 usd?

Get a cheap Core2 Duo machine off craigslist for $50, get a dual GbE card for $20, get a 10/100/1000 managed L3 switch for another $50, and install PFSense on the PC. It will be a lot more secure and a lot more powerful/flexible than any consumer router you may buy, plus you can offload your VPN server to it.
>>
>>56006365
Storage with Samba. I built a server just for that. it has 8GB DDR4 for no other reason then it was $35.
>>
>>56006440
SAMBA does a lot of cool stuff that is not just network storage. Look into setting up an ADDC or NT4 Domain using it, very cool and very applicable knowledge.
>>
file server

VPN

web server

email

pfsense

virtual machines
>>
>>56006365
There are tons of ideas and projects outta 4chan, you just have to google it. Aboce there are many ideas from other anons, that should be usefull enough for you.

Atm I have many services like openVPN, RADIUS, Icinga2, ... running on my RPi and my openWRT Router. I would feel better when I could outsource all this stuff and services on a server but I think the electricity costs are to high to running it 24/7 a year.
Are there servers with low electricity input or how you handle this theme?
>>
>>56006365
To run discreet VMs tasked with different services such as:
Mail server
Plex server / streaming media server
Dedicated WFH VM
Windows Lab & Linux Lab
Time Machine
VPN
>>
File: HST.jpg (3MB, 3696x1420px) Image search: [Google]
HST.jpg
3MB, 3696x1420px
>>
>>56006400

Holy fuck, dip your penis in acid and just fuck off.

I see plenty of guys pick this shit up for free from work places all the time.

OP, others in this thread have come up with some good choices.
>>
>>56008020
That's because they are not complete retards like you and know what to do with it.
>>
>>56006365
Many good ideas but few use the spare CPU cycles. So rund BOINC and select a project that appeals to you. I use mostly SetiAtHome and use the control panel also to check that all my machines are up and running.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.