[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>This will never exist in our lifetimes Why go on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12

File: Holodeck_empty.jpg (940KB, 1436x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Holodeck_empty.jpg
940KB, 1436x1080px
>This will never exist in our lifetimes

Why go on
>>
File: .jpg (42KB, 356x360px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
42KB, 356x360px
Seriously, nigger?
>>
>>56006086
Neural interfaces. If we can't make a holodeck, we'll just make you hallucinate one.

Worst case, we just turn off some parts of your brain to make you think you are experiencing a holodeck, when in fact you are in a state of induced mental illness.
>>
>>56006508
I wonder at what point in time, if ever, scientists will fully understand how the brain works and be able to fully control it.
>>
>>56006463
Yes, you will be able to finally be with your waifu if it exists.
>>
>>56006664
Holodecks are just VR on steroids. Meme/10.

>>56006508
This is it. This is how we make anime 'real'. By unrealing outselves.
>>
>>56006086
PCB BABY!
>>
File: braincase.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
braincase.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>56006652
>>56006508
Soon.
>>
>>56006086
if it doesn't exist, who was photo?
>>
>>56006652
We can't understand how even aging works.
>>
>>56006652
It won't happen in our lifetimes. There's no magic trick when it comes to the brain, there's no possibility for an interface. If it will be possible one day, it will be much more complicated than that. Think something like an MRI-sizes machine.
>>
>>56006758
Well not that soon. There have been some encouraging results in neural interfaces. There's been some work showing we can make electrodes that don't cause neurons to die. Right now electrodes killing neurons is a huge problem.

But it will take a while for the tech to get safe enough to be approved by regulatory agencies. Surgeries are still really fucking risky, too risky for 'cosmetic' stuff like being able to watch anime with your eyes closed or type at 4000 wpm.

>>56006652
We don't need to fully control the brain. The brain has been shown to be really fucking great at 'writing its own hardware drivers.' Well at least for stuff like learning how to walk or use a new arm.
>>
File: Monkey_using_a_robotic_arm.jpg (30KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
Monkey_using_a_robotic_arm.jpg
30KB, 512x288px
>>56007037
>>56007037
>there's no possibility for an interface.
Wrong. We have neural interfaces that work right now. They're called microelectrode arrays. You make a tiny array of electrodes that can record or apply electrical currents from/to individual neurons.

Here's a demonstration of a monkey using one to control a robot arm.

Well that's the idea at least.

In practice there are problems with connecting to individual neurons, however, the much bigger issue is the microelectrode array causes neurons to die. So you can do the monkey robotic arm thing, just not for long. Some neural interface solve this issue by periodically moving the microelectrode array into new tissue. IE the interface moves deeper into your brain leaving a trail of dead tissue.

But fortunately, there have been some indications that we can make neural interfaces that don't kill neurons.

Using an MRI type device to interface with the brain is laughable compared to a microelectrode array.
>>
>>56007158
Video link please?
>>
>>56007195
woops forgot link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxIgdOlT2cY
>>
>>56007158
It's all about cybernetics man but before that we have to understand brain function and they way how it gives commands to muscles
>>
>>56007046
>We don't need to fully control the brain
I was just piggy backing off what the other anon said about controlling the brain to warp the persons perception, so it's like a different sort of VR.
>>
File: file.png (179KB, 498x276px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
179KB, 498x276px
>>56006664
>Yes, you will be able to finally be with your waifu if it exists.
I didn't come to /g/ for feels...............
>>
File: image.jpg (204KB, 564x423px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
204KB, 564x423px
>>56007158
What about using ultrasound to stimulate the neurons? Ironically Sony has a patent on this.
>>
>>56007236
how is that ironic?
>>
>>56006681
>This is how we make anime 'real'. By unrealing outselves.
>>
File: a.png (58KB, 209x165px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
58KB, 209x165px
>>56007263
ftfy
>>
>>56007208
That's so awesome. Thanks sempai
>>
>>56007255
Because they sell games yet the science out there is generally pure research usually with military applications.
>>
>>56007362
Gaymershit accounts for less than 2% of Sony's revenue you tremendous boy molesting fruit. Probably doesn't take into account TVs or other peripherals bought for gaymes but still, come on.
>>
File: population-vector.png (53KB, 837x402px) Image search: [Google]
population-vector.png
53KB, 837x402px
>>56007213
We understand it well enough for monkeys and people to learn to control robot arms:
http://motorlab.neurobio.pitt.edu/multimedia.php

From that work, it appears that there populations of neurons whose firing represent a displacement vector to move the arm end point.
>>56007236
absolute trash. No chance of stimulating individual neurons. Even if you could magically stimulate individual neurons, how do you direct ultrasound to them, through your skull, through other neurons, through blood vessels with changing blood flow.
>>
>>56007385
And? Most of their money is made in finance. Obviously they got the patent because of their gaming division.
>>
>>56007433
https://www.google.com/patents/US7350522
>>
>>56006652
I hope it doesn't happen.
Thought crime units will become a thing.
"voluntary" mind scans by corporations if you apply for a job might come too.
Regimes perfecting their propaganda.
>>
>>56007672
Why do you have such a dystopian outlook on the future.
>>
>>56006463
HAHA WOAH YOU SAID NIGGER!
XDDDD
>>
>>56007704
because people are assholes
short-sighted profit maximization seems to be one of the driving forces in our economy today and sure will be like this in the future

I know of enough employers that can't control their employees enough, so why wouldn't they use something like that if it was available?

Imagine if the nazis or the ddr or any other dictatorship had the ability to read and control minds. You don't even need dictatorships. mccarthy era, terrorism scare, "HE LOOKED AT MY CHILD, OFFICER, SCAN THE PEDO. HELP, FBI, BRAIN SCAN!!!" etc.
>>
>>56007809
>so why wouldn't they use something like that if it was available?
Because sane people like you and me (and we're not in the minority) wouldn't allow that to happen.
>>
>>56007854
you're way too optimistic
>>
>>56007868
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
>>
>>56006086
>>This will never exist in our lifetimes

So what? In the next life we can just ask God to whip up any kind of game world we want to play in.
>>
>>56007228
>pic
Top choice senpai
>>
File: wanna.png (10KB, 390x413px) Image search: [Google]
wanna.png
10KB, 390x413px
>>56007873
>we can just ask God
>>
>>56007704
i don't think he's being that dystopian. we apparently don't think much about personality tests and whatnot, which companies sometimes use to do hiring and more often to do team assignment (looking to match compatible people). at best, those personality tests are gauging the probability of you having a given thought (let's call it t) across all thoughts (let's call it T).

maybe i'm being too fluid with definitions, but determining your propensity to have certain thoughts doesn't seem that different from determining whether you *have had* certain thoughts. if your personality test says that you're depressed, how much different is that from the "thought police" knowing that you've contemplated suicide. the whole point of the former is to catch people before they reach that point, and if companies figure it's okay to delve into the former, i don't see how, in principle, they don't feel entitled to dive into the latter.

they'll package it up as a feature - more relevant benefits like therapy, etc... - but if anyone thinks a corporate entity won't at least be motivated to use this for their own benefit (even at the cost of yours), they've got to be naive.
>>
There's nothing wrong with personality tests. They makes sense when assignment partners to work together because if they aren't compatible then they may not get as much work done. It's not fucking mind control or "though police"
>>
>>56007461
That's a patent. Patents don't mean shit. One can patent things that don't work.
>>56007672
For all intents and purposes we fully understand the weather. We have the governing equations for fluid motion, heat transfer, precipitation etc. But we can't completely predict the weather because we can't measure wind speed, pressure, temperature every where all the time and can't process all that data even if we could.

Same applies to the brain, even if we have a complete understanding of the brain, we may not be able to do 'mind scans' or fully control the brain for practical and economic reasons.

Noninvasive scanning techniques don't have that much potential for improvement.
>>
>>56007899
at their core, personality tests are coarse assessments of what sorts of thoughts you're likely to have. if a company could look into your mind and find that you think SJWs are retarded faggots, then they might not pair you up with an SJW.

right now, personality tests don't reveal that sort of shit. but why shouldn't we look for stuff like this?

personality quizzes are adequate operationalizations for stuff like inter-personal compatibility, but just as we've developed better operationalizations for all sorts of psych shit, we'll continue to develop better ways of assessing compatibility, including things like thought scans.
>>
>>56008044
It's a good think they'll never be able to read my mind then!
>>
File: 1458961084981.png (27KB, 181x220px) Image search: [Google]
1458961084981.png
27KB, 181x220px
>>56007873
assuming god is even real, you really believe anyone here is going that direction?
>>
>>56007873
if that was guaranteed i would kill myself right now
why in all fuck would you want to stay here if you really, truly believed in a heaven?
>>
>>56008400
Because if you killed yourself you would go to hell :)
>>
File: 1470725451047.gif (282KB, 634x472px) Image search: [Google]
1470725451047.gif
282KB, 634x472px
Sorry faggots, no neural interfaces or holodecks in our lifetime, even if you will be alive in 80 years.

Just accept that and go on with you life, stop lying to yourself.

Peace, out.
>>
>>56008400
>being this new
Kek, even an idiot has at least read some religious literature.
>>
>>56009173
?
>>
>>56009180
See
>>56008429
>>
>>56009192
did you miss "if that was guaranteed"?
>>
>>56009208
Even if that was guaranteed that after death you end up in heaven, you'd still end up in hell because suicide.

It's nice to find excuses now, but you fucked up bud.
>>
>>56009245
>you'd still end up in hell because suicide.
i don't think you understand what "guarantee" means
and no, i'm not familiar with the rules of entering heaven according to whoever wrote the bible
>>
>>56009291
>i don't think you understand what "guarantee" means

I do but I was also right about
>and no, i'm not familiar with the rules of entering heaven according to whoever wrote the bible

Because you fucked up with your sentencing .
>>
>>56009344
i'm not sure what you're getting at
>>
>>56008429
Only in retarded, abrahamic religions that depend on a shill book written by men.
Not too likely that their version of god exists.
>>
>>56009165
Do you have any facts to back that up?
>>
HTC VIVE 3
>4K
>bone conduction
>body scanner
>ultrasound haptic feedback
>>
>implying we aren't already in one
>>
>>56010399
Our true god is Zeus.
>>
>>56006086
We aren't too far off from a basic one...
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.