[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Run Windows process on remote machine as if local

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: server-rack.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
server-rack.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
Hey /g/,

How could I run a program on a remote Windows machine as if it were on a local Windows PC? Something like a shitty laptop running Photoshop on a fast workstation, but to the laptop user it seems like it's running on their own PC.

Also, ideally the remote PC it's running on would not have a window of whatever program the laptop is running pop up, and the program it's running on the workstation would be able to access all the files on the laptop as if they were local.

Something like PSexec looks like the way to go, with a few modifications. Does /g/ know of a better solution?
>>
>>56005334
What you're describing is a thin client.

They're not popular anymore.
>>
TeamViewer.
>>
Any VDI
any they are still pretty common
>>
>>56005367
I'm going to have to disagree with you on the popularity comment. I do BI consulting and almost every corporate client I've had has at least distributions set up on Citrix. A different take than the old school "thin client" architecture but achieves the same end.
>>
>>56005334
It's called "Windows Remote Desktop" it comes with your computer for fucks sake.

If you are a fast enough pipe with low latency between hosts it'll do the job.
>>
>>56005367
I'm looking for something where I could have two full Windows installs on two computers and a program on both to act as an interface with no traditional server, but yes, thin clients and a server would-in most cases-be much better
>>
>>56005367
>They're not popular anymore.
wrong, they are still widely used
>>
>>56005444
This would be for just a single program, the user wouldn't know they're remoted in. Think like Virtualbox's seamless mode
>>
>>56005334
install linux and use openssh
>>
>>56005471
Use Microsoft RemoteApps then.
>>
>>56005367
>They're not popular anymore.
So, citrix
>>
>>56005507
That's just I'm looking for, but wouldn't that require any program being run to explicitly support it?
>>
>>56005424
None of them are happy about that decision either I'm sure, but it is too late now, they already spent the money and that's already how it works.
>>
>>56005536
*And also a Windows Server instance to host the application
>>
https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/videos/azure-remoteapp-overview/
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.