[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your thoughts on clojure?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: download.png (4KB, 316x92px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
4KB, 316x92px
>>
>>55989134
I don't really understand it, but when I use it I feel like I'm talking to god
>>
>>55989134
Not too interested.

It's basically just LISP again, and again with very little uptake.
>>
I just finished reading through Clojure for the Brave and True and am excited to start using Clojure in personal projects. Seems like a practical functional language with modern design sensibilities.

However, I am somewhat concerned about its unpopularity. There don't seem to be too many libraries for it (although it has most of the common stuff covered, and with java interop what do you really need?), and most of the blog posts I can find are from years ago.

Still, I have high hopes. I think it's a strong language, it has its passionate users, and Rich Hickey is great. Maybe few use it just because it's functional. And because you kind of need familiarity with Java to use it.
>>
>>55989226
Go through the Clojure koans as well.

Also, what is RIch Hickey's academic background? I'm curious.
>>
>>55989226
> because it's functional. And because you kind of need familiarity with Java to use it.
And because other languages like Scala or such work better for people who want a variant on Java, yes.

It's also the case that even this variant of LISP hasn't been able to show *why* you'd want to use it. Sure, the design of that language is sound enough, but you just need "more" to make a point why.

That all those LISPs have existed and some of the highest profile thing among all of them is a feature-rich but big and relatively slow text editor is an indication to most people that this isn't quite a winning concept.
>>
>>55989345
I dunno. Looking around, apparently he majored in Music Composition at Berklee College of Music, and he seems to have gotten a (Masters?/Bachelors?) in compsci later from Empire State College.
>>
>>55989134
The license of closure, EPL, isn't compatible with GPL. I'm very interested in its lisp way but I won't use unless it goes compatible with GPL.
>>
>>55989134
runs on the JVM so it's guaranteed to be shit-tier
>>
>>55989472
And yet Java is currently the #1 programming language according to TIOBE...
>>
>>55989487
Microsoft Windows is #1 operating system but not everyone agrees it is the best OS.
>>
>>55989464
Thanks for the info. Where did you find that? I couldn't find it through any google searches.
>>
>>55989472
Heh, no. The JVM is pretty nice, and a lot of software is good or great, comparatively speaking.
>>
>>55989378
Admittedly Emacs has little appeal among those who don't really need to use it. I only picked it up because I was told that it was the best editor for a lisp.

There are IDES for Clojure, though, like Nightcode or Cursive. "Hopefully those will catch on so that people can use Clojure without learning Emacs" says this anon who will probably continue using Emacs.
>>
>>55989526
His LinkedIn page has some scarce information, and some random blog posts I found ("Rich Hickey bio") filled in some of the details.
>>
>>55989583
Thanks.

>>55989572
Use Lighttable: http://lighttable.com/
>>
>>55989645
>>55989572
Really, what's wrong with emacs? It's a fine editor.
>>
>>55989572
> Admittedly Emacs has little appeal among those who don't really need to use it.
That is the case for almost anything?

That's not quite the actual problem with LISP though. It's just one of relatively few production LISP software that people use. And yet you don't even really think "well, that editor was probably so much easier and better to write in LISP, I'd most definitely almost need to use LISP if I wanted to re-write this editor (better) from scratch!"

It just doesn't make a good point for LISP. And Clojure doesn't really have anything either.
>>
>>55989465
This.
>>
>>55989472
confirmed for retard
>>
>>55989134
dynamic typing is seriously a meme
>>
>>55990334
you're a meme
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.