[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any computer engineers here? As in hardware engineering. EE or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

File: 1VpAsd5.png (87KB, 284x328px) Image search: [Google]
1VpAsd5.png
87KB, 284x328px
Any computer engineers here? As in hardware engineering. EE or CE. Not software engineering.
How bad does it suck?
>>
>>55988229
I write firmware. Shits pretty cache yo.
>>
maxwell's original equations
>>
>>55988229
Yes. Just built an epic $3000 gaming rig last week.
>>
File: 1460075226371.jpg (80KB, 640x539px) Image search: [Google]
1460075226371.jpg
80KB, 640x539px
>>55988345
>pretty cache
>>
>>55988345
I'm a CS major who really enjoys doing low level stuff like this but I'm not switching because I really don't care about the actual electronics parts.

Could I still find a job? If not no biggie. It's not like doing web stuff is hard just not interesting.
>>
>>55988229
> How bad does it suck?
It doesn't. I really enjoy my job and the IOT fad has made us like web developers were in the .com bubble. Companies are just throwing money at anyone who can add bluetooth to their dishwashers and doorknobs.
>>
>>55988567
Yeah, I double majored in EE and CS. Writing apps and webdev were boring to me, but I also didn't want to design circuits all day.

As long as you understand the low level concepts, you should be fine. For firmware, we would rather have a CS major than a EE. Because in my experience, the EEs only know how to write MATLAB and maybe SPICE. However, at the end of the day, it really just comes down to someone who can show their ability.
>>
>>55988632
Why don't you hire a computer engineer? Writing firmware is what they're made for.
>>
>>55988632
Wow that really gives me hope. I was starting to think that spending all my free time messing with C and Assembly was kind of a waste.

What kind of projects should I work on to build experience? Currently I've been trying my hand at writing device drivers for Linux. I don't know how that will translate over but I've found it quite fun.

Also, how much do you make?
>>
>>55988229
That is a very broad question OP. Depends on which part you are doing. Digital design can be extremely tedious. If you are experienced, you will find connecting busses and signals very redundant and time consuming. I recently started playing with the GUI version of designing SoCs with Vivado. Seems a lot easier so far, but it will get old too. You know what never gets old? Designing all types of RF circuits. It all depends on what you are looking for. If you are just connecting the same ole shit everytime, it will get boring. I find that doing the board layout myself is a nice change of pace, but that is a whole different domain than what you asked about.
>>
>>55988723
Of course, we would. That's pretty much a given.

>>55988730
Messing with C is never a waste. Keep it up anon. Writing device drivers is great as well. It all depends what you want to get into? Do you want to work on embedded linux devices? MCUs?

I've written for both, but now mainly just work on MCUs.

I would say buy one of those single board Linux computers with a bunch of pins for GPIO. Buy some sensors. Write an i2c driver. Try your hand at SPI. Learn the different busses and protocols.

Then try the same thing with a microcontroller instead. Maybe use FreeRTOS and build stuff on top of that.

I currently make 115k base salary, but cost of living is high around here. Hoping to get promoted by the end of the year as well.
>>
>>55988812
Okay that's reassuring. Honestly I'm not too sure. I guess I'll just research both and mess around for a while.

Okay. I'll definitely look into buying one. I'm going to screenshot this response and do a bunch of research. I have a CE friend that is probably interested too so I'll try to get him in on some projects.

That's a lot of money, but it sounds about right. It's nice knowing that I'm studying something worthwhile no matter what are of computers I go into
>>
>>55988869
Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to switch between the two. They're not _that_ different.

Best of luck anon! And honestly, one of the greatest things about being an embedded developer is that, relatively, there aren't that many of us. A lot of people can't or don't want to go down to that low level. Also, there are so many different fields you could go into. You see a lot of really interesting bugs. Additionally, it's also kind of nice knowing that the rest of the system couldn't function without your work. Although, this _can_ be stressful later, but don't worry about that for now.
>>
>>55988229
doesn that shit get hot at the place where the nigger holds it?
>>
>>55988229
I'm still going to school for CE, in my last year. It's getting pretty difficult, but then again, it's also UofI, #5 in the U.S. for CE. I keep convincing myself it's worth it because it's a suuuper secure major in our economy right now. Absolute worst case scenario I end up another programmer, and I wouldn't even mind that. It's not construction.
>>
>>55988229
Suck?
Nah senpai. It's great. Gotta love the grind. Love the constant measurements. Love the 10 different technologies you need to use to debug. You just need to love the pcb. So when you finally flip out you will break your heat as your break your board.
>>
File: women in tech.jpg (130KB, 641x905px) Image search: [Google]
women in tech.jpg
130KB, 641x905px
>>55988963
Yes.
>>
>>55988632
>double majored in EE and CS
Would you recommend this over CE?
>>
>>55988229
>/g/ - career advice

gtfo
>>
>>55989357
I'm sorry I forgot we're only supposed to talk about video games, watches, and used laptops here.
>>
>>55989324
If you willing to work hard and want to learn how computers work all the way from bottom up.

I liked it because I could literally go into whatever I wanted.
>>
Doing CE/Comp Sci. I'll enjoy knowing the whole thing. I'm having fun with it atm. 2nd year of a 5year degree, so it might suck later but not sure.
>>
>>55989382
That's definitely a huge appeal for me. I would personally study everything STEM if life wasn't so short, and open career options definitely never hurt anyone.
>>
>>55989225
why wouldn't they give her gloves when she's welding?
>>
>>55989494
Looks like she is getting ready to weld the fuck out of that plastic shroud for the bus connector.
>>
>>55989445
There are so many fields and specialization in STEM, that it would take you multiple lifetimes to be familiar with what we have now. Then by the time you're there, every one of those fields would have advanced and branched out into further specializations.
>>
>>55989494

That's soldering and you shouldn't wear gloves for it.
>>
File: 1365292999904.gif (85KB, 540x786px) Image search: [Google]
1365292999904.gif
85KB, 540x786px
>>55988229
Why would it suck?
>>
>>55989562
Not sure what that is, but it ain't soldering my friend.
>>
File: 110.jpg (18KB, 458x345px) Image search: [Google]
110.jpg
18KB, 458x345px
>>55989562
ok, maybe gloves are a bit overkill but why isn't she wearing an anti-static mechanism?

>>55989511
i thought she was hard-wiring the power source to the mother board
>>
File: 1395948414807.jpg (70KB, 810x780px) Image search: [Google]
1395948414807.jpg
70KB, 810x780px
>>55989538
Yeah. That's why I've sort of narrowed it down by just picking computers.

Maybe we'll reach greatly extended life before I die and I'll be important enough to get a few hundred years to devote to science.

>>55989579
In my experience things usually suck.
>>
>>55989597
>falling for anti-static meme
>>
>>55990102
>not wearing a full body antistatic suit whenever using any electronics
Enjoy your fried hardware.
>>
File: _DSC0208.jpg (515KB, 1232x816px) Image search: [Google]
_DSC0208.jpg
515KB, 1232x816px
>>55988229
"Jack of all traits, master of none."
This is the Computer Engineering motto.
This being said, can't complain having spent the last four years of my life studying it. Lots of traditional EE mixed with sub-par CS (at least at my school). With focus, you can apply to just about any CS or EE job. Also, actual "Computer engineering", as in the real field of designing processors, memory systems, etc. is amazing, but without you Masters or PHD finding a job is impossible.
>>
>>55990633
>Jack of all traits
>traits
People who can actually recall phrases correctly are a diamond dozen
>>
why do ce instead of ee? seems like a weird trade off where you suck at programming and circuitry, but have both skills. just do a ee/cs dual major.
>>
File: IMAG0084.jpg (714KB, 2592x1552px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0084.jpg
714KB, 2592x1552px
>>55988229
>2016
>analog technology is useless in mass use
why
>>
It is not
It pays waay good, not boring, no pajeets, you'll know everything in your projects : Automation, sys-admin, cyber security, electronics, coding (low level) and even web-dev at limited scope.

So it is good, go for it.
>>
>>55991608
For digital computers you can have one hardware piece and programit by your own desire.
With analog computers you have a piece of hardware for only one task.
>>
>>55988229
It sucks because having a job means you're a wagecuck. Engineer NEET master race.
>>
>>55993782
>Engineer
>NEET
Pick one.
>master race.
This option has been disabled for you.
>>
>>55993811
Just because you don't understand NEETs wagie doesn't mean it's not the master race. You'll understand someday when we live in a jobless NEET society
>>
>>55988229

>holding a soldering iron by the tip

Why must stock photos always go full retard
>>
I am a computer engineer. currently working on getting my commercial pilot license because being a computer engineer sucks
>>
>>55995120
I am an aeronautical engineer. Currently teaching myself java and c++ because aeroplanes suck.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.