[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.strawpoll.me/10948735 Get a custom built compute

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: question mark.png (43KB, 749x946px) Image search: [Google]
question mark.png
43KB, 749x946px
http://www.strawpoll.me/10948735

Get a custom built computer? Or. Build a computer? - Or more technically. - Get a custom built computer if it's cheaper? Or. Build a computer even if it's expensive?

I'm planning on getting a new computer. Very soon. Hopefully. - I'm torn apart between ordering all the parts and putting it together myself or getting something else to do it - if they can do it at a price that is lower than ordering all the parts and assembling it myself.

I wouldn't mind ordering all the parts and putting it together myself. It's more so a money issue. However I can't help but feel like I'm cheated out of the experience a little bit. I mean saying "well I got it for a cheaper price but I could've done it myself" or even "I'll just disassemble it and then re-assemble it myself" seems different. That and basically my plan is to ask manufacturers if they can assemble it like $500 or at least $100 less than ordering the parts and doing it myself. It's almost like I'm worried I can actually get it for $less. So don't have a reason to spend more on parts and put it together. - Also buying anonymously vs. being in a file. - I may never get another chance for this. Indefinitely.

However I am poorfag so saving money is also important. Even a little bit. I know that doesn't seem like a big deal. But. Keeps adding up. I am poor.

I had an old computer from like 2002 and didn't replace that with a little laptop thing until like 2012. I thought that technology had advanced enough that it really would be more than I need - like a lot were saying. But it really wasn't enough. I still think if I got a quad core - or more - if it existed - laptop that I'd probably be alright. But already thought I'd be alright when I got my laptop. I can't afford to experiment anymore. So I decided to go for the best real computer i could get. So.

I have decided to give up the laptop form factor in favor of getting a real computer for more power. I'm coming home.

I'm coming home.
>>
File: Koala.jpg (763KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763KB, 1024x768px
tl;dr I'm planning on getting a new computer.

I'd like some advice and discussion.

A simple vote for making it myself or having something else do it is fine.
But I wanted the discussion to potentially be deeper than a poll. So I omitted it.

So yeah. Put it together for more? Have something else put it together for less? Go for a quad-core laptop or something? Something else?

Just asking.

- Also here's a picture of a Koala. It is the runner-up to the question mark for the decided opening post. Which would be better? You decide.
>>
File: 80074_1452456394.png (362KB, 700x700px)
80074_1452456394.png
362KB, 700x700px
>>55987250
>buying parts and paying someone to build it/having someone else buy parts and build it
>somehow cheaper than just buying parts and building it yourself
how exactly do you come to the conclusion that paying extra for the service of having someone build you a computer is cheaper than building a computer sans said service, that's not how it works
>"I'll just disassemble it and then re-assemble it myself"

>basically my plan is to ask manufacturers if they can assemble it like $500 or at least $100 less than ordering the parts and doing it myself

you're so silly, anon, it's cute
you can't just call up dell and ask them to build you a computer as if you were ordering a pizza
there might be some manufacturers that do something -kind of- like that, or maybe some places that offer a custom build service, but you can absolutely expect to spend extra for something like that

to answer your question:
a large part of the reason why people build their own PCs is that it's almost often always cheaper than buying a prebuilt of any sort
furthermore, if you want to go really nig-tier you have the option to buy used parts and cheapo xeons and shit
you do the math

also, next time, >>>/sqt/
>>55976659
>>
File: 98.jpg (96KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
98.jpg
96KB, 700x700px
>>55987515
>buying cheaper parts instead of buying more expensive parts
>somehow more expensive than buying more expensive parts and dealing with that
how exactly do you come to the conclusion that paying extra for the parts of having someone overcharge you parts is cheaper than customizing a computer sans said price, that's not how it works
>you're so silly, anon, it's cute

>you can't just call up dell and ask them to build you a computer as if you were ordering a pizza

you're so silly, anon, it's cute
i never said you can just call up dell and ask them to build you a computer as if you were ordering a pizza, you came up with that on your own.
there are manufacturers that do something like that, manufacturing "custom build service" same thing, but you can absolutely expect to spend less for something like that

to answer your response:
a large part of the reason why people customize their own PCs is that it's almost often always cheaper than buying a prebuilt more expensive part of any sort
furthermore, if you want to go really nig-tier you have the option to buy more expensive parts and shit
you do the math

also, next time, >>>/trash/
>>>/trash/
>>
>>55987515
generals
are
cancer
>>
whatever i don't like how this thread is going because it's basically more about technically buying from a manufacturer or if that would work or not instead of accepting that -if- it is possible then should it be done or not.

because again if the price can't be matched or at least a little bit cheaper then it won't be done. if it is more expensive then it won't be done. the main reason is money.

ah well whatever...

attempting to delete the thread

i appreciate the response

thank you
>>
>Error: You cannot delete a post this old.

I fucking hate the future.
>>
Polite sage from here on out.

Thank you.
>>
>>55987690
it's not a general, it's a containment field for questions that would otherwise pollute /g/

>>55987710
>>55987728
to reiterate:
you can build a pc cheaper than you can get a manufacturer or somebody to custom build you one or price match or whatever you think you can do (but can't), manufacturers aren't as flexible as you think

you have much, much more flexibility building your own, there are some avenues you can take that will allow you to build an extremely cheap, but respectable PC
>>
>>55987767
>it's not a general, it's a containment field for questions that would otherwise pollute /g/

it is a general cancer, it is a contaminant that already pollutes /g/ and everything

>>55987767
>>55987767
uhhuh.
>you can build a pc cheaper than you can get a manufacturer or somebody to custom build you one or price match
no you can't. probably.
>or whatever you think you can do (but can't),
i can do it. it's only for cheaper parts.
>manufacturers aren't as flexible as you think
yes they are. probably.
>you have much, much more flexibility building your own, there are some avenues you can take that will allow you to build an extremely cheap, but respectable PC
is that so... probably... tho again it's for cheaper not flexibility or anything... that's probably possible - but i want extremely specific parts for a reason... but thank you...
>>
Whatever. I wanted a fast thread and fast replies like in the past because I didn't want to make a thing out of this or get in an endless shitposting flame-war on an off-topic subject that is irrelevant to the point of the thread in the 1st place.

I was sort of hoping that I could attempt to make a small thread on here - despite everything being full of cancer and not coming here or anywhere anymore - and have it be relatively decent. But it didn't work. You know? It reminds me of why I stopped coming here. All these general cancer "/leddit/" style threads. To me 4chan was always best when it was 4chan. Not some sort of wannabe leddit ripoff... Oh well...

I didn't want this thread to continue in the 1st place. I want to delete it. But I cannot. Because cancer.

So I'm sorry...
>>
This thread is so fucking stupid. I'm sorry everyone.
>>
4 votes reached.

Get a custom built computer? Or. Build a computer?
1. Get a custom built computer.
1 votes (25%)
2. Build a computer.
3 votes (75%)

4 total votes

I will build a computer, i guess...

Thank you.
>>
Please polite sage if you post in this thread or not reply.
>>
thank you
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.