[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying used electronics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 12s.jpg (92KB, 640x479px) Image search: [Google]
12s.jpg
92KB, 640x479px
Is there a /g/ consensus on buying secondhand electronics? What is the difference in buying a used smartphone to a used graphicscard? How do different things age and wear? Also what should one generally look out for?
Not sure if this goes in /sqt/ or not
>>
Like everything, they're certainly worth buying if you're getting a deep discount over new or they don't make them anymore.

Before 2009, I could suggest used graphics cards, but now you're pretty much guaranteed to buy someone's damaged bitcoin mining farm cards if you buy AMD used.
Even if you buy Nvidia, the previous owner undoubtedly shortened the lifespan of the card significantly by overclocking.

So don't buy graphics cards used.
Make sure to sanitize everything with isopropyl alcohol, and do not buy bed-bugs ridden thinkpads.
>>
Used laptops are biohazards. Their hair and dead skin is in every single nook and cranny. Also semen.
>>
File: 1439601373793.jpg (120KB, 1536x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1439601373793.jpg
120KB, 1536x1152px
>buy used 1TB hard drives for less than half the price of a new one
>0 bad/reallocated sectors and less power-on count/hours than the primary disk bought as new
so far got 3 this way, all work fine
>>
You're definitely taking risks.
Yesterday, I got a nice P2211H for only $10.
>>
Really depends what you're buying and from where/who.
Buying random pc parts from Craigslist? Not a good idea. The only time I would recommend buying used parts is if it is from a trusted seller.
As for devices that's usually less risky. I've bought both of my past 2 smart phones used and there is no difference between them and a new one.
>>
Built a whole pc 2-3 years ago almost everything with used parts. Still working like a charm would recommend. Just don't be stupid about it, if it's too good to be true then it is
>>
>>55986615
You tards always mention sqt in your title and clog up the catalog. Stop that.
>>
>>55986762
Bought a used server last night just for its hard drives, $30 for 2x1tb ain't bad, both work fine.
>>
>>55986615
The best way is to examine under an electron microscope for wear and tear on the PN junctions. Only way to be sure.
>>
>>55986615
I buy mostly used. Havent been burned on anything yet but have saved thousands. I bought a 250$ amplifier from a didindu on craigslist for <30 because he thought it was broken, a $500+ onkyo receiver for 25$ that wasnt working but still was under warranty so i sent it in to get fixed free, my past 3phones were bought for half of retail in like new condition, a unused dented mini fridge that the owner decided not to use for 40$, dell 1080p 24 led monitor for 50, sony speakers for 20$ worth about 80-100, pico psu for 15$, almost brand new ssd (15hours power on) for 30$ less than retail. I see no reason to not buy used considering it saves you tons and most electronics are obsolete fairly quickly anyways. Buying broken stuff you know how to repair is also a great way to save, and even make money, I've bought close to 10lcd tvs which ive repaired and sold for 50-200$ profit each.
>>
>>55986615
>What is the difference in buying a used smartphone to a used graphicscard?

Do you really need me to tell you this? Buying used anything stationary/internal is fine. Anything you hold in or touch with your hand, ie laptops, controllers, phones, handheld-consoles, I always buy new. These things are also not only more susceptible to damage, but you'll notice the damage more than an internal component or stationary device. Even minor scratches can be very noticeable, but not so on say a console.

Though I always buy new everything. I'm just saying I probably wouldn't consider buying used things like phones and controllers. You've also got the the whole "Have fun touching someone else's dried cum ;)" fears.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.