[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to try linux distributions for the first time. Should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

I want to try linux distributions for the first time. Should I go with Xubuntu or Mint?
>>
Use Arch Anywhere to install Arch + hardened kernel + XFCE
>>
Take your pedophile cartoons back to >>>/a/.
>>
>I want to try linux distributions for the first time.
Cool.
>Should I go with Xubuntu or Mint?
No, definitely not.
>>
>>55986441
Sounds interesting. How good is arch compared to the others like Ubuntu or Fedora?
>>
Xubuntu and Mint are fine but there are better choices like Debian or Fedora.
>>
>>55986492
Arch will take some time for you to use, especially with no prior Linux experience. See https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/arch-linux-installation-with-xfce-desktop/

Mint is based on Ubuntu (as are many other Linux distributions). I've used Mint, but I think "real" Ubuntu is better. It's well supported. Just make sure you use the command line whenever you can or it's just another graphical desktop.
>>
>>55986754
Alright, i'll give arch anywhere a try, since it seems to be the easy mode for arch installation.
>>
If you're trying it for the first time, I think Manjaro is the best.
It's going to be my first time trying Linux too, so what I'm going to do is dual boot Manjaro with Windows 7.
Apparently Manjaro is a beginner friendly version of Arch with all the good benefits
>>
Sorry anon, /g/ no longer knows shit about linux. You need to learn about the fundimental basics of linux first. Arch is not a good starting distro. Nothing based on arch is a good starting distro. Arch's design was not made to be for new users. You do not yet understand repositories, so understanding the AUR is beyond you. And arch was designed to have far less non-aur packages than other distros. On top of that, arch occasionally requires user intervention to prevent updates from breaking it, which you, as a new user, may overlook or not understand how to do.
Using xubuntu to learn linux is like living in somebody elses house while you build a house of your own. Using arch or gentoo or anything else that 4chan says is really good but is not suitable for new users to learn linux is like living in your unfinished house while you build it.
>>
>>55986441
>Arch Anywhere

Fucked up my install, I manually chrooted after installation and ran
sudo mkinitcpio -p linux
then rebuilt Grub, but I still can't boot without manually using efishell commands
>>
File: Chiya-Mint.jpg (1MB, 1728x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Chiya-Mint.jpg
1MB, 1728x1080px
go mint brah
>>
>>55986391
Try Apricity OS, its beautiful
>>
>>55986391
Mint is the best of just works Linux
it even has a gui kernel updater
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.