[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 35

File: 1461537846281.jpg (66KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1461537846281.jpg
66KB, 480x640px
Previously on: >>55975742

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp
>>
File: slackware-installer.png (7KB, 702x336px) Image search: [Google]
slackware-installer.png
7KB, 702x336px
>The “menu” and “expert” options allow you to choose individual packages to install and are of use to skilled users familiar with the OS. These methods allow such users to quickly prune packages from the installer to build a very minimal system. If you don't know what you're doing (sometimes even if you do) you're likely to leave out crucial pieces of software and end up with a broken system.

What does it mean by this? Is it referring to system libraries only? If I choose not to install OpenSSH but keep the rest of the networking tools will the OS not boot properly?
>>
>>55984997
First for Gentoo
>>
Can QBittorrent connect to a remote server? I am talking about the Qt client?
>>
I tried Linux a bunch of years back (2009? around there).

Are there significant changes since then? Because I loved it back then BUT then I wanted to play video games again on my PC.

What I am asking is: Is it possible now to have a Gaming PC running Linux (most likely Ubuntu for me, but I am open to suggestions) where I can play everything I can play on my current Windows 10 setup not just Sauerbraten and Tux Games?

I am utterly seriously asking. Thanks ^^
>>
Fourth for Arch
>>
File: not_sure_if_bait_anchovy.png (415KB, 842x709px) Image search: [Google]
not_sure_if_bait_anchovy.png
415KB, 842x709px
>>55985335
>>
>>55985387
>>>/a/
>>
Do I seriously have to use KDE just for thumbnails in the file picker? I like GNOME better in every aspect except for this no-thumbnail garbage.
>>
>>55985335
Thanks to SteamOS and the shitstorm that is Windows 10, there are more and more games being made for (or ported to) GNU/Linux. However, a majority of games are still Windows only, and you should definitely stick with Windows for your PC gaming needs for now. Check back in another 10 years.
>>
>>55985810
That's stupid. Why not Windows as gaming console and GNU/Linux for everything else?
>>
>>55985835
Many people, including myself, do just that by dual booting
>>
>>55985835
not him, but that's my setup.

had an ssd laying around, so i have win10 on that and only boot it up if i want to play some shitty game.

do everything else on my gnu/linux partition. and keep it off my laptops
>>
>>55985771
I haven't seen my filepicker in at least 3 months. Dragging from my file manager (that has a shortcut for starting) is way more convenient.
>>
>>55985885
That's actually not a bad idea. Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>55985876
PC Gaming asking dude here again:

I had that for years and then I built a new, more Pc Game-y PC and never got around doing it. Also since I now have a job that requires MS Office sadly, Linux would basically only be there for browsing the internet. That's a lot of effort for using Chrome (or Iron, which is what I used to use on Linux)...

Also, potentially horrible noobie question, I apologize in advance: In order to double boot, do both OSs have to be on the same ssd? Because Windows filled mine up (only 125 GB) relatively quickly. Doesn't it fuck up the bootorder if one is on SSD, the other on HD?

Please don't hit me :P
>>
File: Pyra.jpg (106KB, 1200x1220px) Image search: [Google]
Pyra.jpg
106KB, 1200x1220px
Has anyone heard of the Pyra here? It's a handheld size pocket computer that is running Debian that is being developed by Dragonbox in Germany. I had the previous model the OpenPandora and it's what introduced me into Linux.
It has a separate board with the ram, SoC and internal memory, allowing it to be swapped out and upgraded in the future.
>>
>>55986029
>>I had that for years and then I built a new, more Pc Game-y PC and never got around doing it. Also since I now have a job that requires MS Office sadly, Linux would basically only be there for browsing the internet. That's a lot of effort for using Chrome
>job that requires MS Office
specifically? sounds like a heap of bullshit.
>for using chrome
this is bait right?
>>
>>55986156
no, but why are you blogposting about it?
>>
>>55986156
Too expensive
>>
>>55986156
The Pyra might not be coming out for a few years. Also in terms of power, I'd look at the GPD win and dual boot with debian or your distro of choice. I feel more confidence in the GPD Win, but the Pyra's advantage is that you can have like a terabyte's worth of shit on there whereas the win is capped at like 328 gb with a TF card (unless you use the usb).
>>
>>55986189
I thought it was relevant to the thread. Also whenever I try to be friendly that's how I come off.
>>55986227
Yeah that's the biggest problem, always the problem with small independent products like these.
>>55986245
I think it will come out this year considering that they have a near finished prototype. The GPD win doesn't have the community behind it and I'm pretty sure that the Pyra will be able to run other distros and dual boot aswell. However the Pyra is ARM based while teh GPD is x86, witch is nice when installing a new OS.
>>
File: 1470683381713.png (44KB, 735x220px) Image search: [Google]
1470683381713.png
44KB, 735x220px
I just installed Fedora, and I'm trying to setup the right drivers to get my wireless adapter working.
While im trying, get pic related. Whats the problem here?
>>
File: 1470683444598.png (72KB, 739x292px) Image search: [Google]
1470683444598.png
72KB, 739x292px
>>55986386
The next step in the solution guide I'm using gives me this if I skip that step and move on. I tried asking sqt, but I didn't get any answers.
>>
>>55986162
I write down my own hours on a specifically designed excel document full of previously set-up calculations and things that add hours and breaks together into actual hours worked. It also has my employee ID on it. It's the only one the accountant firm will accept.

I tried running it in other office programs, it comes out as nonsense at the other end.

So yes, I need MS Office specifically. Otherwise my boss wouldn't have given me a copy for free, since it's not free for him.

SO since I can't do that on Linux properly... All that would remain for me would be using the Internet. Maybe I would not use Chrome and try to find another browser or whatever.

BUT that still means it's a lot of effort running Linux for a task I might as well do under Windows.
>>
File: Tails.svg.png (6KB, 180x90px) Image search: [Google]
Tails.svg.png
6KB, 180x90px
What's people experience in using Tails? I used it for the first time today with a USB on the schools computer. It's surprisingly fast but I don't see much reason personally to ever use it again.
>>
>>55986453
>What's people experience in using Tails? I

yeah, I used it for a bit and now my own government wants me dead and I'm hiding in russia. It's fuck cold here. I rate Tails 2/10
>>
Why did /fglt/ invade, /flt/ was first after all.
>>
>>55986453
Only useful if you're buying drugs on the dark web.
>>
>>55986506
I do actually wonder if I'm on some kind of watch list after downloading it
>>
>>55986524
we started with /flt/, everything was nice. Few people were making a website, improving the wiki... But after some weeks, seeing those threads were successful some gnutards that worship the FSF came and started to shitpost about How much Stallman contributed, how much gnu was important so they were spamming shit everywhere, and half of the threads were about gnu shitposting

Since the linux community don't really gives a fuck about the official name, this general was renamed fglt so those retards stopped shitposting.

tl;dr : gnutards shitpost and we accept gnu linux thread so they stop.
>>
>>55985724
>>>/r/eddit
>>
How to watch DRM protected content on Linux? It won't let me
>>
https://www.strawpoll.me/10948563
>>
>>55986647
I feel like if the gnutards truly believed in their message they would stop arguing about names and words and start working towards their steaded goals.
>>
>>55986453
It is definitely good to have a Tails USB handy. Privacy and security aside, it is a good live distribution with easy to configure persistence. It can double well as a cryptographic keys storage usb, password manager storage, etc etc.

It can be useful to browse the web anonymously and not worry about sites tracking you and storing info on you

It can be useful for exploring tor sites

It is specially useful if you're a journalist or an activist

I've also heard about dudes that use it for banking and what not.

Personally I have one more for the novelty than anything else. I like the idea of having a secure and private gateway to the internet whenever I want it.
>>
>>55986453
I like it because it's basically a hardened live Debian with the option to have persistence on many things. So I can have my system running the way I like it anywhere, anytime
>>
>>55986688
Be more specific.
>>
>>55986708
Agreed, what I liked the most about it was that it had libreoffice installed. My school only has ms office so I will probably keep it just for when I need to do office work on the school computers.
>>
>>55986402
/personaltechsupport/ plz respond
>>
>>55986453
look at it this way: the more people use it, the more secure people who desperately need it become. this goes for any privacy tool, from tor to tails to signal, etc

so just spreading word about it is a morally good thing to do
>>
File: systemd-here.jpg (17KB, 500x312px) Image search: [Google]
systemd-here.jpg
17KB, 500x312px
Reminder that Devuan has more packages now and you should totally escape systemd/Debian.
>>
The word "hacked".

Normies.
Reeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg
>>
>>55985175
First for hardened gentoo.
>>
>>55987097
>escape the init system that makes writing services a joy instead of a chore
Why?
>>
File: att-unix-pc-boot.jpg (40KB, 413x259px) Image search: [Google]
att-unix-pc-boot.jpg
40KB, 413x259px
>>55985387
You are an idiot, he was asking a question and deserves an answer. People like you are the reason that /g/ is dying rapidly.
>>
>>55985335
Depends on the vidya. If yeu want to play THE LATEST TITLES and THE HOTTEST GAMES thenxyou'd best stick with Windows (or if you've got the know-how, conjure up a VM, use WINE, or dual-boot[VM is best but hardest]).

Plenty of indie games are being ported to Linux, especially with Valve and SteamOS pushing for greater support.

Personally I use my laptop with Linux for everything but have a Windows PC for vidya.
>>
File: DfS8VlU.png (46KB, 1134x647px) Image search: [Google]
DfS8VlU.png
46KB, 1134x647px
Reminder we have two threads on /t/ - Torrents

Training videos for GNU/Linux (torrents)
>>>/t/713097
>>>/t/713097

Ported videogames (torrents)
>>>/t/707928
>>>/t/707928

We need a thread on /vg/ for gaymers because year of the GNU/Linux desktop motherfuckers, here is the pasta
http://pastebin.com/7Xzi8e2H
>>
>>55987477
> tried to make that thread
> got removed

It's not relevant to /g/.
>>
File: ash pepe.png (71KB, 297x271px) Image search: [Google]
ash pepe.png
71KB, 297x271px
>>55987536
>/g/ has gayming pc threads
>/v/ regulars everywhere
It was sunday, keep trying.
>>
>>55984997
Windows 10 refugee here. I've decided to jump ship to Linux Mint because I'm retarded.

>My question
How the fuck do you partition an SSD/HDD system? I've put /home and /var on my HDD, and /boot and /usr on my SSD. Is that good enough?

When I used fdisk it says Partition 2 (probably my HDD) is something something physical sector. I guess I put the wrong amount in?

All I want are my music and pictures on my bloody hard drive and I can't even tell. On windows you would right click + properties and it would tell you the drive letter. In exchange for help I would offer a reaction image but I have to set up first.
>>
>>55987603
why don't you use a graphical tool like gparted ? it might be easier to use ?
>>
>>55987603
smart people put /home on a different partition so if they ever bork their system they can reinstall the root of the drive and save their own content

i just put it all on /
>>
File: 1443450301068.gif (105KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1443450301068.gif
105KB, 400x400px
>>55986647
>we
>they
>>
>>55987603
You don't need to do that advanced stuff but /var in your HDD? For log and mail spool you get better performance if is your SSD.
>>
>>55986647
well open source won anyway.
>>
>>55985387
>>>55985335
Disney. Com
>>
I can't find a cheap laptop that I can run fucking linux on.
>>
>>55987736
>fucking linux
GNU/Linux
>>
>>55987736
How? Just visit newegg or NCIX or any tech website and you can find a shitty laptop for cheap.

Personally I just spent 600 dollars on a new laptop and had to update the BIOS before it would let me boot into a Linux LiveCD to install it. Maybe you have a similar issue?
>>
>>55987736
Possible solutions:
- Buy better glasses
- Learn to internet
- Install Gentoo
>>
>>55987736
What prevents you?
>>
>>55987736
>>>/tpg/
>>
> try to install custom kerne
> double free
> every time
> try compiling kernel with no modifications
> double free every time

I'm aware that double free means the kernel panicked while panicking. How do I make it stop doing this? It doesn't give useful information.
>>
>>55987736
!craigslist thinkpad
>>
>>55987736
For 30 American Dollars I will install the Linux distribution of your choice to any laptop you can bring me (apple shit obviously not included.)

30 American Dollars per hour if it's an autist distro like Arch or Gentoo.
>>
>>55987807
Stop doing the things you did, and do them the right way. We have no way to help you, as we dont know what you've changed or added
>>
>>55987916
I realized that while typing that post that I was basically just complaining.

I'm sorry for wasting two posts on this.

> was installing GRSecurity/PaX on Fedora 24 system
>>
File: 1417906199016.jpg (10KB, 191x252px)
1417906199016.jpg
10KB, 191x252px
Gaming on GNU/Linux motherfuckers

>>>/t/729739
>>
>>55987934
lol while in arch:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/grsecurity#Installation
>>
>>55987958
>Bad Hotel
>>
>>55986647
/flt/ was bad (old OP even recommended Mint), but everything get's upgrades; we got higher quality, better pasta and the site is actually http://fglt.nl/. You can see /flt/ -> /fglt/ as a bugfix.
>>
Is there a search tool like Everything on Windows that can search on every hard drive at the same time? Couldn't find any.
>>
>>55988012
this
>>
>>55987970
Yeah. I'm actually giving some though to hopping back to Hardened Gentoo.

Except last time I tried that I was 17 and wasted a solid month trying to get it to work because I was a complete Linux newbie at the time.

> installed Gentoo because 4chan dared me to
> inb4 underageb& that was years ago
>>
>>55986780
When using pipelight plugin I can't watch Netflix with silverlight5.1 enabled
>>
>>55988026
The gnome search tool is pretty good, for cli "locate", but there's also a /g/ project made by some guy who rewrote _everything_ from scratch, can't remember the name/site.
>>
File: 420blazeit.png (366KB, 394x522px)
420blazeit.png
366KB, 394x522px
>>55986539
perfect
>>
I know I must sound like a lazy Windows user but I just looked up how to install an .sh file and this looks long as fuck just to install something :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTKv9PI4-x0
Is there another method? Because people always say that "Linux" is not that complicated and even simpler that Windows, which I agree so far on many point, but not on this one. Downloading and double clicking to execute an installer is faster than this.
>>
>>55988112
Degenerate. What would your mother think of you?
>>
>>55988095
ANGRYsearch is the best for newfags and the dev is a /g/ regular.
>>
>>55988117
>how to install an .sh
Erm .. What?
>>
>>55988095
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm on Ubuntu with Unity by default (changed to KDE plasma atm, and I looked for a gnome search tool on Synaptic but couldn't find it. What do?)
>>
>>55988117
sudo chmod u+x file.sh

./file.sh
>>
>>55988134
Yeah maybe execute an .sh file? Sorry my english is not good.
>>
>>55988117
You do not install shell script. A shell script is just commands, which you can use to chain things or run programs between each other iwth variables.
You didnt tell us what you are trying to install, or if the script you have, even installs anything at all.
>>
>>55988125
>having to open a second window to search for things
How bout no, if it dosent integrate with other file managers, whats the point?
>>
Will switching to Ubuntu (Studio) from Fedora (messily upgraded to 24 from 23) solve any of these problems? Or could I solve them right here and now and not have to move from Fedora?

-after system reboot, web server becomes unreachable until a
sudo iptables -F
is passed
-after using JACK, pulseaudio switches to an apparent dummy device, leaving no sound whatsoever until one manually switches the device in the settings menu
-PackageKit constantly bugs you to update your software, and even downloads the files for you, not realizing that your root partition doesn't have very much space and dnf is going to need it when you go to actually update
Not Fedora's fault:
-versions of ffmpeg and mpv are desynchronized, meaning after update one has to downgrade mpv or use *cough* Totem
-if you're not a programmer there's nothing to do when your internet is out
>>
>>55988150
Right click the file and go to properties, see the permissions tab and give it executable permissions. Then just double click on the file.

Welcome to the new GNU/Linux, where you don't need to do things in the command line.
>>
>>55988198
Oh ok...I see. About the details, I'm trying to install Regain on Ubuntu
http://regain.sourceforge.net/download.php
>>
File: xwz_2016-08-06-22:18:18.png (622KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
xwz_2016-08-06-22:18:18.png
622KB, 1280x720px
Suggest me a good file manager.

Thus far I've tried pcmanfm, xfe and worker. I need a simple and lightweight file manager with thumbnails and image preview (image previews =/= thumbnails), but none has this except by gthumb, but gthumb is not a file manager.

I like worker scripting ability, but is a pain in the ass not having thumbnails.
>>
File: Spectacle.X10953.png (20KB, 900x700px) Image search: [Google]
Spectacle.X10953.png
20KB, 900x700px
>>55988226
Looks cool, I wish it worked but it only opened that, see pic
>>
>>55988291
I don't know man, I just use the one that comes with my DE.
You could probably fork the one you like best and add the feature you want. You're allowed to use the code from GPL programs as long as your program is also released under the GPL.
>>
>>55988320
You need the regain.jar file, download it, unzip and go to the directory in the command line. After you are there type
java -jar regain.jar

Give it executable permissions if it asks for it like this
sudo chmod u+x regain.jar
>>
>>55988291
ranger or spacefm
>>
>>55988450
>spacefm
mmm, interesting. gtk2 or gtk3?
>>
>>55988291
>previews
pcmanfm has that
pcmanfm-mod has that and more
spacefm is the extension of pcmanfm-mod
Use spacefm
>>
>>55988487
can be either
>>
>>55988426
Doesn't seem to work?
I got :

XXXXX@XXXXX-PC:~/Downloads/regain$ java -jar regain.jar
04:11:04: Logging initialized
04:11:04: New desktop configuration found on Tue Aug 09 04:11:04 CEST 2016
04:11:04: Listening on port 8020...
04:11:04: There is nothing configured. Showing the welcome page.
sudo chmod u+x regain.jar
>>
>>55988541
Is working, open in your browser http://localhost:8020

and look at the manual
>>
Is there any way to browse the NFS directories from my browser?
>>
I created an xorg.conf to try and tweak some settings.

It was incomplete, so xorg didn't work at all next time I booted. I deleted the xorg.conf

Now shit boots, but it feels different than before. Windows animated smoothly on login, are now sort of stuttery.

I use gnome3, on arch, with nvidia proprietary drivers.

When I run a script to force full composition pipeline, things seem to smooth out, but it feels like the stutter is there, just minimal.

Any input?
>>
File: 1462146759943.png (28KB, 186x208px) Image search: [Google]
1462146759943.png
28KB, 186x208px
Has anybody here worked with the experimental build of Unity or just C# on Linux?

If so, is it any good?

Any info you could give me on your experiences would be very valuable (ranging from "don't bother" to "it's fine")
>>
>>55988578
yeah it doesn't work. It's too long and I'm too durnk and dumb, I'll probably just go back to Win. It's sad because I liked a lot of aspects of Linux but to be honnest after trying it for a few weeks now, I encountered too many problems and "have to look up for tutorial just for simple things" moments
Thanks for you help tho
>>
File: desktop-7.27.16.jpg (2MB, 5120x2800px)
desktop-7.27.16.jpg
2MB, 5120x2800px
>>55985335
I set up a GPU passthrough for the few games I can't get running naively. It runs great, and if you have the right hardware it is fairly straightforward to set up. I also have it set up with a seperate monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc., so that I can play games in GNU/Linux as my friend plays in the VM. The performance is basically the same as a native windows install.

./vm.sh:
#!/bin/bash

OPTS=""

# CPU Configuration
OPTS="$OPTS -cpu host,kvm=off"
OPTS="$OPTS -smp 2,sockets=1,cores=2,threads=1"
OPTS="$OPTS -enable-kvm"

# RAM
OPTS="$OPTS -m 6000"

# UEFI
OPTS="$OPTS -drive if=pflash,format=raw,readonly,file=/usr/share/edk2.git/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd"

# QEMU Monitoring
OPTS="$OPTS -monitor stdio"

# Optical drive
#OPTS="$OPTS -cdrom "/path/to/iso""

# Emulated video device
#OPTS="$OPTS -vga qxl"

# 240GB SSD
OPTS="$OPTS -hda /dev/sdc"

# R9 270
OPTS="$OPTS -device vfio-pci,host=06:00.0,multifunction=on"
OPTS="$OPTS -device vfio-pci,host=06:00.1"

# PCI Gigabit NIC
OPTS="$OPTS -device vfio-pci,host=05:00.0,rombar=0 -net none"

# USB DAC
OPTS="$OPTS -usb -device usb-host,vendorid=0x0d8c,productid=0x000e"

# Gamepad
OPTS="$OPTS -usb -device usb-host,vendorid=0x1532,productid=0x0111 "

# USB Hub connected to KVM switch
OPTS="$OPTS -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=13.1.1 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=13.1.2 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=13.1.3 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=13.1.4 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=13.1.5 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=13.1.6 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=13.1.7"
OPTS="$OPTS -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=10.1.7 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=10.1.6"

# USB hub on monitor
OPTS="$OPTS -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=5.1.1 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=5.1.2 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=5.2 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=5.1"

# Start VM
sudo qemu-system-x86_64 $OPTS
>>
>>55988012
>get's
>>
>>55988639
send folder
>>
> root paritition allegedly full

FUCKING HOW?! THERE ARE 50 FUCKING GIGABYTES ALLOCATED AND I DON'T DO THINGS AS ROOT!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!
>>
>>55989034
Cache
>>
>>55989050
How do I clear that shit?

I've had this laptop for three fucking days. This is ridiculous.
>>
>>55989034
What's the error masage? Post lsblk
>>
>>55989034
You installed shit, alot of shit
My install is only 13g
>>
>>55989064
Its prob your package manager cache
>>
>>55989073
    ├─fedora-root                             253:1    0    50G  0 lvm   /

I got an error message from DNF complaining about needing more space when I tried to update. Just (package) needs (amount) more space.
>>
>>55989097
>fedora
>dnf
hahahahaha

Jokes aside reboot
>>
File: 1449271832489.png (88KB, 498x246px) Image search: [Google]
1449271832489.png
88KB, 498x246px
I'm trying to get PCI passthrough with a VM working, and I'm not sure how to set up drives properly.
I have a 1TB HDD I want to use exclusively for it
/dev/sde
, and a image file I want to install windows from
windows-7-pro.iso
I'm having a hard time making sense of the documentation. http://qemu.weilnetz.de/qemu-doc.html
How do I add those 2 things to my script?
$ cat gaymenvm.sh 
echo "Starting VM"
export QEMU_AUDIO_DRV="pa"
qemu-system-x86_64 \
-serial none \
-parallel none \
-nodefaults \
-nodefconfig \
-no-user-config \
-enable-kvm \
-name Windows \
-cpu host,kvm=off,hv_vapic,hv_time,hv_relaxed,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vendor_id=sugoidesu \
-smp sockets=1,cores=4,threads=1 \
-m 8192 \
-mem-path /dev/hugepages \
-mem-prealloc \
-soundhw hda \
-device ich9-usb-uhci3,id=uhci \
-device usb-ehci,id=ehci \
-device nec-usb-xhci,id=xhci \
-machine pc,accel=kvm,kernel_irqchip=on,mem-merge=off \
-rtc base=localtime,clock=host,driftfix=none \
-boot order=c \
-drive if=virtio,id=drive0,file=./Windows.img,format=raw,cache=none,aio=native \
-device vfio-pci,host=05:00.0,multifunction=on \
-device vfio-pci,host=05:00.1 \
>>
>>55989034
Arch? you have to clean it out now and then.
>>
>>55989104
> reboot
Didn't work.

>>55989078
That wouldn't make sense, I used a netinstall and didn't install any more packages than I usually do. Plus I've only had this laptop three days.

>>55989187
No, Fedora.
>>
>>55989246
download ncdu and run it from /
>>
>>55989256
And run it with -x, so it doesn't descend into other file systems.
>>
>>55989246
UPDATE: It was a bunch of old kernel compilation bullshit. That and some unused packages. I have 21 gigs free again. I'll see what I can do about freeing up more.

If this happens again I'm going back to Gentoo. Linux has always just werked for me in the past and now it's fucking with me? No.
>>
>>55989305
Fedora confirmed for meme.
>>
File: partitionz.png (972KB, 1920x1080px)
partitionz.png
972KB, 1920x1080px
any idea what this 1mb partition could be?

also does a 15gb swap partition seem a bit much?
>>
>>55989372
Why is your swap 16 GB?
And that 1MB empty partition between partitions is normal. Although it's usually reserved for the start or end of the partitions, not in the middle.
>>
>>55989305
Check your logs in case there is something which flooded them and made them huge. Something definitely sounds odd there.
>>
>>55989305
>Not just using Debian
I shiggy
>>
>>55989343
It is not. I've used Fedora for three years and today is the first time it's given me shit like this.

I fixed the problem, at any rate, and now I know how to prevent it.

Also you're the first person in this particular fglt to say 'meme'. Congrats.
>>
>>55989372
Why do you have both Debian and Ubuntu installed, what is this mess

If you're gonna distro-hop, at least decide on one
>>
>>55989397

is there any specific reason for having empty partitions like that? should i leave it, delete it...?

the xubuntu installer did the partitions automatically. should i make it smaller?

>>55989422
yeah its a bit messy, in the process of cleaning it up right now, hence the question.
>>
>>55989431
>Letting installers make partitions automatically
Never do this again. What would you have done if the installer had fucked up and accidentally fucked with your Windows partition?

>Is there any specific reason for having empty 1MB partitions
Yes, but I genuinely don't know what. Just leave it.
>>
>>55989446
It's to keep the Windows and Linux partitions from touching, Windows can't cuck the Linux partition.
>>
>>55989431
I have a handy copypasta I made for partitions. I made it with the Debian installer in mind but it should probably work with basically any other distro (that offers LVM out of the box, anyway)

First things first: do you want to dualboot with Windows or do you want to wipe it all clean and only have Linux?
>>
>>55989446
lesson learned, thanks. ill manually partition from now on.

>>55989473
dual boot with windows
>>
>>55989508
Here you champ, big fuckin' memes coming right up.

http://pastebin.com/Cr4XfwdS

Would appreciate feedback
>>
>>55989607
pretty good dude, thanks. good explanation without any bloat. will keep this handy.
>>
>>55989685
Also maybe don't encrypt your drive if you're gonna dual boot. I've never done it while dual booting so I don't know how the hell that would turn out
>>
>>55985335
Depends on what you play. Porting games is incredibly easy nowadays since they're made with engines that are made with that in mind. Especially indie games are often, if not usually, released on all the three desktop platforms.
I'm a gamer, mostly MMORPG/RPG/indie in general at that and haven't had a Windows installation for 3 years. For my interests it's worked out, although two or three games have been a pain to setup in wine.
Most of the steam library is available on GNU/Linux by the way.
>>
Will Steam OS making AAA games available on Linux be the tipping point for the year of the linux desktop?
>>
File: 1467259743595.jpg (218KB, 784x904px) Image search: [Google]
1467259743595.jpg
218KB, 784x904px
>>55988639
Anyone? Pls respond
>>
>>55989176
I think I've gotten this down
qemu-system-x86_64 \
-serial none \
-parallel none \
-nodefaults \
-nodefconfig \
-no-user-config \
-enable-kvm \
-name Windows \
-cpu host,kvm=off,hv_vapic,hv_time,hv_relaxed,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vendor_id=sugoidesu \
-m 8192 \
-mem-prealloc \
-soundhw hda \
-device usb-ehci,id=ehci \
-device nec-usb-xhci,id=xhci \
-rtc base=localtime,clock=host,driftfix=none \
-boot order=c \
-drive media=disk,cache=writethrough,format=raw,file=/dev/sde \
-drive media=cdrom,readonly,file=windows-7-pro.iso \

I'm getting
qemu-system-x86_64: unable to map backing store for guest RAM: Cannot allocate memory
>>
Is there any practical reason someone might use a terminal based web browser rather than an actual browser?
>>
>>55989955
It looks like you have too much memory assigned/not enough free ram.

Here is mine: >>55988664
>>
>>55989987
More importantly: What terminal app is best suited for terminal based browsers and is bash eventually meeting it's limits at such task?
>>
File: Selection_019.png (5KB, 1562x114px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_019.png
5KB, 1562x114px
>>55990000
I think I'm good senpai
>>
>>55989987
If you just want the text it can be more streamlined. Also if you are working with a slow connection/very old hardware it can be a lot faster.
>>
>>55989987
No
>>
>>55989987
If you have no graphical server.
>>
>>55989987
I sometimes do it for the novelty
it's also nice in a emergency if you fucked up x and you did that on your only computer
>>
>>55990011
Are you running qemu as root? If not, you could try that.
>>
>>55990033
I am

could it be
-mem-prealloc \
>>
>>55990044
It could be. I don't have those lines. What do you have them there for?
>>
>>55989987
Web scraping, low bandwidth usage, javascipt-less browsing (security), and looks comfy.
>>
>>55990056
I got the script off https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Complete_example_for_QEMU_.28CLI-based.29_without_libvirtd_.28can_switch_GPUs_without_reboot.29
>>
>>55990056
>>55990075
I removed them and it seems to work
a QEMU window popped up, but the monitors I have hooked up to the GPU aren't showing anything
>>
>>55990096
What GPU are you passing through?
>>
>>55988067
You may need a "user agent" addon/extension for your browser. Your "user agent" identifies what OS you're running. Netflix is dicks and won't run unless you identify as Windows, so the addon will let you fool it into using Pipelight.

Also did you follow all the instructions and generate/activate pipelight for your browser? I know it was a simple command line thing that did it for Firefox.
>>
File: QEMU (Windows)_020.png (3KB, 562x295px) Image search: [Google]
QEMU (Windows)_020.png
3KB, 562x295px
>>55990119
gtx 660 ti
I set up all the requisite stuff for passthrough

last time I had this set up there was a terminal type thing that popped up and not this
>>
>>55988647
I dunno man, I would just try using Ubuntu and maybe reading "The Linux Command Line" (linked in the OP, it's free) since it seems you aren't familiar with the command line. I'm reading it right now and it's really good even for absolute beginners.
>>
>>55990140
That is probably the virtual display. Windows may be choosing that as the default video output. I did the install that way and then just switched the default GPU in windows. I don't disable it, because if you click in that window you can control the VM. I only use that when synergy is off and I don't want to reach across my desk to the passed through mouse and keyboard.

Do you see any display in that window?
>>
>>55990140
Also, add "-monitor stdio" to get the qemu terminal. That may help you find out what is happening.
>>
>>55990164
>Do you see any display in that window?
it's just a blank window

>>55990183
I added that but the same window came up
>>
>>55990197
Both should come up. Maybe there is another line in your script that is stopping it from coming up.
>>
So when I use awesome or i3 as a windows manager with KDE on arch and open Dolphin or systemsettings5, there are no icons for anything (in the settings) and the KDE theme is defaulted to white even though I have breeze dark selected. Should I just not be using KDE with awesome or i3 at all?
>>
I wonder if i could pick your brains with a problem i'm having,

Had to reinstall my distro after i killed it. Previously I was using gespeaker/espeak/mbrola for a project i was working on.

Everything worked fine before but after reinstallation when installed gespeaker it won't open, no errors or anything given it just doen't open.

Also in the software depo if i find gespeaker it won't remove even after cllicking remove. Have tried sudo apt-get purge gespeaker still says that it is installed. Checked with synaptic , uninstalled .

For the life of me i cannot seem to understand why it will not work. would be wonderful if any yall have some insight.
>>
>>55990217
I reduced it to
qemu-system-x86_64 \
-serial none \
-parallel none \
-nodefaults \
-nodefconfig \
-no-user-config \
-enable-kvm \
-name Windows \
-m 8192 \
-drive media=disk,cache=writethrough,format=raw,file=/dev/sde \
-drive media=cdrom,readonly,file=/media/Yttrium/Tungsten/UserFolder/Documents/backup/ISO/OS/Windows/Windows7/en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_621750.iso \
-usbdevice host:413c:2105 \
-usbdevice host:046d:c401 \
-monitor stdio \

now I have this in the terminal
QEMU 2.6.0 monitor - type 'help' for more information
(qemu)
>>
>>55990162
Don't waste yourself, look again. The answer solved his problem, he is either trolling or drunk.
>>
>>55990254
That should show you if any errors occur. You can also run commands to change what the VM is doing, pass through devices, etc.

NVIDIA cards that aren't quadros will disable themselves if they detect that they are running in a VM. I think "kvm=off" is supposed to fix that, but you may want to look into that, it could be your issue.
>>
>>55990285
I've already got kvm=off in the cpu option
>>
Guys, how often should I run updates with my package manager on...

>Debian Stable
>Debian Testing
>Debian Sid

?

In order to be reasonably safe from big exploits but also not obsessively upgrading every hour.

I ask for all three because I have all three branches running on different computers for different things.
>>
>>55986415
>a specifically designed excel document full of previously set-up calculations and things that add hours and breaks together into actual hours worked
Damn. My boss has that setup on google docs.
>>
>>55986415
I made something like that for myself to track all those overtime hours more easily than going through a year worth of OpenERP entries.

Also, tell your boss to go with the times, Excel sheets is so 90s
>>
>>55990285
>NVIDIA cards that aren't quadros will disable themselves if they detect that they are running in a VM

Since when do you need a Quadro for GPU-passthrough?
>>
>>55990986
you don't, it's just the drivers
nvidia doesn't want you to do certain things with THEIR gpu's
>>
What are some actually good playdeb games that aren't just ports?
>>
>>55985335
has linux changed since 2009? sure
for example, since 2012 there is now a native, official version of Steam, and since then plenty of games both indie and otherwise have made native versions available
wine has also made steady progress, as has foss video drivers. there is also a native implementation of direct3d9 which can be used with wine/foss drivers, which is faster than translating to opengl

can you play /everything/? no, but you can run more than you could in 2009
>>
Anyone running QEMU gpu passthrough and running windows for gaming / apps?
How was setup? much performance loss?
>>
>>55985771
Gtk2 has a patch for thumbnails, look somewhere in archwiki. Gtk3 still doesn't IIRC.
>>
What's my best option if I want to try out having a dock in a DE that doesn't seem to have one normally? I've used Unity Ubuntu and Elementary and liked it there, but now I'm on KDE Neon. (Unless KDE has one normally which I've somehow ignored.)
>>
>big, bloated, and convoluted distros are good for beginners
>minimal distros are bad for beginners

Does anyone else find this strange? Maybe it's because I'm not a complete beginner anymore but the idea of going with some bloated monstrosity like Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE etc. that obfuscates everything and muddies everything with patches and backports makes me not want to even use Linux.
>>
>>55991277
"Beginners" are assumed to be total noobs with irrational phobia for terminal. Which they are.
>>
>>55991277
There are a few different reasons for using GNU/Linux. If your reason is to fiddle around and learn about computers, you will have more fun with a minimal install and good documentation, if you just use your computer as a tool for ither things the usual beginner distros will fit you.
>>
I've been thinking of switching from Manjaro on my desktop. Not because I dislike it, but because I want to try something different. I've used Arch before, but that was years ago.

I'm gonna go Arch or Debian. I'm not really familiar with the Debian world. What I do on my computer is mainly program (games, though also getting into network programming) and play games. Debian I understand is used on a lot of servers so I was thinking I should maybe get familiar with it. But any ideas, and if so, which version of Debian would be the most suitable for a desktop?
>>
What's a terminal command to rename all the images of my wallpapers folder numerically, 1 2 3.. etc
>>
>>55992153
>But any ideas, and if so, which version of Debian would be the most suitable for a desktop?
depends on your needs, but if your other consideration is arch, then sid would suit you.
>>
I asked this in the stupid questions thread, you guys might know a bit more about the issue though. This is my first experience with Linux, so be gentle with me senpais. I'm installing Debian through the graphical installer, and I've gone through all the steps except for this one near the end: Install the GRUB boot loader on a hard disk. It's saying this:

GRUB installation failed
The 'grub-efi-amd64' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot.

I'm running debian-8.5.0-amd64-netinst from a USB I installed it to, and I'm hoping to dual-boot it with Windows. Any ideas? I'll provide with any info I can if it's needed.
>>
>>55992219
where did you try to install GRUB to?
>>
>>55992231
I didn't select any in particular, I chose Debian's Guided option for partitioning.
>>
>finally figure out how to work around the JACK problems I previously had
>get the idea to share the music I made through the local network
>hear of one solution called Ampache
>whatever pic related means
>spend an hour dicking around with supposed solutions
>fuck it, I heard of another thing that does the same thing called Libresonic
>sudo dnf install libresonic
>bitch kicked me out of sudoers
I have never been so pissed at a piece of machinery than I am right now. I used to love Fedora but now why I remember why I migrated away from it every other release.

Does anyone on Ubuntu have experience using Ampache or Subsonic or one of those services you use to stream music from your computer over the web? If it's easier than this I'll be evermore tempted to migrate back and suffer the gnomelessness.
>>
>>55992248
did you actually install it to the usb device or are you just using the netinstall normally?
>>
>>55992269
>>get the idea to share the music I made through the local network
have you ever heard about mpd?
>>
>>55992280
Apparently not. I'll try it when I add myself back to sudoers.
>>
>>55992274
I used a program on Windows to write the Debian image to the USB. I don't remember the name of it because I don't want to quit this Debian install, but it was similar to something like Unetbootin.
>>
>>55992179
Is sid as bleeding edge as Arch, then, or are they comparable?
>>
>>55992219
>>The 'grub-efi-amd64' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot.
are these 2 hard drives? do you have a /boot/efi partition?
>>55992302
>>I used a program on Windows to write the Debian image to the USB. I don't remember the name of it because I don't want to quit this Debian install, but it was similar to something like Unetbootin.
if it actually has been unetbootin that might be the problem, unetbootin fucks with the installer, that is why the installation manual specifically tells you to not use it.
i would recommend redoing the usb with something like win32diskimager but you could also (if you have a live usb at hand) go through with the installation and run grub-repair later.
>>55992317
sid is very similar in terms of bleeding edge to arch.
>>
>>55992345
Win32diskimager sounds familiar, that's what I used, I think. I suppose I'll try setting up a liveusb and trying to repair it. Know of a guide for the repairing process? Thanks for the help too, sifting through forums from 3+ years ago hasnt been much help.
>>
>>55992345
I forgot to reply to the first question. I've got a single SSD that I'm using for both Windows and Debian when it works. There's a partition for the EFI, it's about 100MB. Is that what I'm looking for?
>>
>>55992376
well the repairing process is basically finishing the install, trying to see if it boots, if it doesn't, bott from live usb, trying to install grub2 from it via sudo apt-get install grub2, if it works you can just reboot into your normal install.
>>55992388
yes, it's the right size too. if you are done with it, this might be worth a bug report.
>>
>>55992409
Alright then, sounds easy enough. I'll do that, thanks. I'll look into to filing a bug report too.
>>
File: 1465770904952.png (20KB, 400x398px) Image search: [Google]
1465770904952.png
20KB, 400x398px
>>55985191
bigel bee bumb-a-dum :-DDDD
>>
>>55992219
when you have a problem related to the boot process, grub... anything, there's a software called boot-repair that fixes everything for you
>>
>>55992495
Yes, only if he already has an otherwise working system though.
>>
>>55992513
live cd
>>
>>55985037
6gb, wtf
>>
>>55992280
Also the idea was for the music to stream from my server to my smartphone so that I can listen to music in bed. Am I missing the right config options or does it only output to the device from the machine on which it is running?
>>
>>55992280
>Connection to MPD_Server failed! Check if the Server is running and reachable. (failed to connect to /192.168.0.9 (port 6600) after 1100ms: isConnected failed: ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused))
bitch
>>
>>55992893
How about you open that port and RTFM?
>>
i run linux mint 17.3(heavily customized in looks)on a laptop 4 ram 2 core 2.4 ghz 512 video ram.i have 2 screens and often multi task-30 firefox tabs or less +game and banshee or vlc for music.pc gets strained yet runs fine while with win 8.1 it couldnt have 30 firefox tabs.7 was the same.10 s start menu didn't work and couldn't open steam.fuck that.
point is linux is as of 2016 a great os capable of outrunning any windows with many heavy apps running
i play gmod rust minecraft dwarf fortress(windows was unplayable)skyrim And many more.most windows only games i run in wine run on higher settings faster than before.example windows 7+8.1 ran skyrim on lowest settings with medium parcticles and render distance.now i run it maxed out
league of legends runs better.and wow is real-time compared to 7
yeah.it's say linux is a great gaming platform
>>
>>55992949
Wouldn't opening the port be the first thing you'd do in that situation? The port is open, nothing came of it.
>>
It turns out that I can use Clementine Remote to downloads wholesale, and it doesn't even take that long with my new high speed internet. Crisis averted, and I only list like 5 hours of sleep.
>>
I have this not very new laptop.

It has 1 hdd with less than 160G and 4 primary partitons.

Can I get 2 x 1T or 2 x 2T 3.5" 7200RPM hard drives and hook them somehow externally (for storage)?

Connectivity is USB 2.0 and 1394a - which one of the two (if any) could provide fast enough read / write speeds?

Or can ethernet be used to link the laptop to the drives?

Also what are or are there limitations if the hdd in the laptop is BIOS / MBR?

If it is possible to hook those regular drives externally - would it be possible to set up RAID10?
>>
>>55993233
You could stick the drives in some bearer desktop if not a dedicated NAS server, and connect it to your laptop with an Ethernet crossover cord or two regular cords and a router or a single Ethernet cord and a router and your laptop's wireless card.
>>
>>55990986
You just need to trick it into thinking you are not in a VM. Nvidia wants all of the servers using GPU passthrough to buy their enterprise cards.
>>
File: 1460108682051.jpg (33KB, 500x375px)
1460108682051.jpg
33KB, 500x375px
>page 9
No.
>>
Hey guys I have a question.

I want to install the experimental build of a program, that has both an official installer for Ubuntu (.deb) and a platform-agnostic installer (.sh)

If I'm using Debian, should I use the .deb for Ubuntu (would this constitute a Franken-Debian?) or should I use the platform-agnostic installer?
>>
>>55995116
If you want to update that program easier, use the .deb
If you don't care about that, the .sh
>>
Is it possible to install debian with an usb stick prepared with yumi? And if not, what is the easiest way?
>>
>>55995342
cp debian.iso /dev/sdX && sync
>>
>>55995369
So thats a no to the first question? I'll try it, thanks
>>
>>55995116
.deb is for every distribution based on debian, that have dpkg. It will work the same way, debian, ubuntu, lubuntu or whatever
>>
>>55995451
"It will work" doesn't mean that it's a good practice and that stuff woun't break.
>>
>>55992709
That's if you do full install and what package sets you want.
>>
So I just finished vimtutor and holy shit, this thing is amazing. I can't believe I hadn't learned it before.

Now that I'm going to start use it to work on coding and general editing: any plugins or configs you guys could recommend? Particularly for syntax highlighting, auto-completion, and anything else you guys find useful in your workflow. Would be a huge help
>>
Asked before but got no reply

What's the best Linux calendar server?
>>
>>55995342
dd if="debian.iso" of=/dev/sdX
just make doubly sure you choose the correct dev file
>>
>>55995753
+ && sync
>>
File: 1458963269103.png (101KB, 660x734px) Image search: [Google]
1458963269103.png
101KB, 660x734px
>>55987603
>>55992954

Mint is trash and nobody should use it.
It's a poorly hacked together distro, which needs to block updates so it doesn't fall apart.
https://github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules

Enjoy your broken and insecure system. If you didn't already download a backdorred iso http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/02/linux-mint-hit-by-malware-infection-on-its-website-and-forum-after-hack-attack/ , enjoy your security holes which didn't get updates because of the blacklists.

>all the horror, when you just can install Cinnamon on any other distro
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
>>
I've been using GNU/Linux for 11 months now. I only regret one thing: Photoshop

How can I make it work with Wine? Pirated copy obviously, it's some Portable version but Wine shits the bed when I try to run it.
>>
Explain this to me. Why do I need to be root user or have to use su/sudo as a normal user to initiate the shutdown or restart command but don't have to if I click the shutdown button in a DE like XFCE, KDE, gnome, lxde, etc?
>>
>>55996080
Cuckshop works with WINE, but consider using GIMP instead. Don't fall for the "GIMP can't draw a square" memes. It's an amazing image editing tool. If you know sheme or python, you'll love the scripting features. With the gmic plugin, it's even better than plain cuckshop.
>>
>>55996136
I've been using GIMP since the switch but I'm done. Photoshop was my go-to tool for 5 or 6 years.
>>
>>55996080
>>55996136
>>55996163
This. Gimp is a great editor. If you also like drawing, check out krita. Both go great together.
>>
From the wiki:
>The free software philosophy is about an open and shared operating system which is not only free as in money, but free as in freedom. The GNU/Linux system gives users more control over their computing experience than competing operating systems such as Windows, which could contain malicious features without the user's knowledge.
So what malicious features are there?
Is this the reason you guys use GNU/Linux, or are there other reasons I'm unaware of?
>>
Guys I'm kind of stumped.

I'm on Debian Sid and I need to install a package called libpng12-0:amd64 because it's a dependency for >>55995116

However, whenever I try to install it, it gives me "No candidate version found for libpng12-0", despite it being listed in the Debian package site.

However, I observed it's under "debian-ports" in Sid.

What should I do?
>>
>>55996235
When they say "could contain malicious features", they're very much correct. Their software is closed source, so you have to place A LOT of trust in these corporations, because no one can really tell what they're actually doing. Thus, they tacitly own your computer.
>>
>>55996235
Look at it this way:

Let's say you have a friend that is known to withhold information and is kind of shady. He asks you for a favor: he has a buddy that needs to crash in your place for a couple of nights, and in exchange he'll cook for you or something. If you say yes, you're placing a lot of trust in your shady friend and his unknown buddy. You're trusting that when you leave home for work, he's just going to do harmless things like watching TV, and not go through your house looking for valuables to steal.

That would be the Windows way of doing things, by installing random .exe's from websites.

And now let's say you have a friend that is very open and honest, and asks you the same favor. Except the difference is that everyone in your hometown can vouch for this buddy-guy. He's a good man, they all agree. And when he arrives at your place, you can literally read his mind, so you know he won't do anything nefarious and he'll do just what he said he's going to do.

That would be the GNU/Linux way of doing things, by installing your software from the official trusted repositories of your chosen distribution.
>>
>>55996235
The wiki should be updated. Free Software is only about freedom. It's pretty OK to sell free software.

>malicious features
The most obvious: Tracking and spying backdoors.

The next problem is that you can't be sure if there is a bug in a proprietary program, which can be used as backdoor and you can't even fix it yourself when you discover it.

As example, Microsoft actually informes the NSA about bugs before they fix them.
>>
>>55996263
you could compile that
>>
>>55996280
I wish there was a way to see what they're doing.
>>55996349
What would these .exe's be doing?
>>55996369
So if I install Linux, are there sure ways to be not spied and tracked?
>>
>>55996235
>Is this the reason you guys use GNU/Linux
One of many. GNU is basically from scratch rewritten UNIX in order to be free, with all the glory of simple system control and piping things around. If you ask me, GNU/Linux is more easy to understand than Windows. I knew more about my system after one year of using GNU/Linux than after all the years of using Windows.
>>
>>55996466
Do you find it interesting? Is the knowledge of the system helpful?
One thing that bothers me is knowing about Arch. It's notorious for just copying and pasting commands until it works. Usually you don't learn anything.
I've heard from someone else that GNU/Linux is something you're just dealing with until it works.
What are the benefits of 'dealing with it' beyond freedom?
One thing that makes me hesitant is the prevalence of Microsoft PowerPoint and Word. Is there a fix for that? I tried LibreOffice and I'm not sure whether it's a proper replacement or not.
>>
>>55996080
have you tried playonlinux ? Photoshop is listed.

>So what malicious features are there?
see windows 10.
>Is this the reason you guys use GNU/Linux, or are there other reasons I'm unaware of?
yes. Since the system is open, installing a software and having your computer updated is easy. Since every softwares comes from the official repos you won't have any viruses even if you're a retard.
Since most viruses target windows you don't have to think about them, and actually since linux is more secure than windows you just don't give a fuck about them.
It's also a light OS, that is faster whatever you want to do.

And I get less troubles running linux than windows (less bugs, crashes, etc.) and it's easier to fix (and fixes actually works).
>>
>>55996454
>I wish there was a way to see what they're doing
There isn't. That's the nature of closed source

>What would these .exe's be doing?
You can't know.

>So if I install Linux...
It's a start

>>55996546
>Do you find it interesting/helpful?
Very. I think it's fascinating. You feel in control of your computer. It doens't hide anything from you.

>Arch
Don't bother with Arch yet.

>Benefits of 'dealing with it'
Usually if you pick a well supported distro like Ubuntu or Debian you won't have many growing pains at all. From there on out, it's a smooth ride.

>Prevalence of PowerPoint and Word
LibreOffice more than covers you there. It is even cross-compatible with the Microsoft formats so you can save in their propietary formats and other people running Windows can read them.
>>
>>55996263
If you look at the architectures in https://packages.debian.org/sid/libpng12-0 you'll see it's probably not what you have. Try adding debian stable to your repositories to get libpng12-0.
You might also try to edit the dependencies of your .deb to use the current version of libpng in sid (libpng16-16 I think) but that might lead to subtle and not so subtle issues pretty much at random.
>>
>>55996369
>As example, Microsoft actually informes the NSA about bugs before they fix them.
>As example, Microsoft actually informes the NSA about bugs before they fix them and sometimes won't fix them.
FTFY
http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-attack-can-steal-your-username-password-and-other-logins/

It reminds me one or two year ago when google found a 0 day. They gave microsoft 6 months before releasing it to the public. Since m$ are incompetent they couldn't fix it in time and went mad against google.
>>
>>55996546
>Is the knowledge of the system helpful?
Yes! It help you a lot with cusomizing your system to your needs. I could post millions of examples, but take this: I wanted that my touchpad is disabled when I plug in my mouse, so I wrote a small shell script for it, which checks if a mouse if plugged in and if so, it disables my touchpad. On Windows I'd probably install a small program that does the job, but I don't really know how and maybe it does things that I don't even want and I can't do anything againt it.
>>
>>55996560
second part of post meant to >>55996235
>>
>>55996454
>So if I install Linux, are there sure ways to be not spied and tracked?
Vanilla Linux comes with a lot of proprietary modules, and binaries can hold backdoors. If security is very important for you, consider using Linux-libre, a Linux kernel with binary modules removed. (Debians kernel is also "deblobbed" by default, but you easily can add modules you need for your hardware).
>>
File: AaNdlnp.png (493KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
AaNdlnp.png
493KB, 1366x768px
I just installed LxQT.

How am I supposed to configure what goes in my application menu? I delete things from say the System Tools category, and move my file manager from Accessories to System Tools, yet every time I leave the directory and then come back in my file manager, all of the things deleted are created again and shown.
>>
>>55996208
And Inkscape
>>
>>55996560
>It's also a light OS, that is faster whatever you want to do.
Sounds promising. Windows is limiting, I can admit that. I do have NOD32 installed currently, but it would be better to fork out any anti-virusware if I could.
>>55996614
>It doens't hide anything from you.
So I can know every process that's running? That's one thing that's annoying about Windows.
>LibreOffice more than covers you there.
Are you sure I wouldn't be shooting myself in the foot by using LibreOffice? I've used MicrosoftOffice all my life, and I'll have plenty of essays and powerpoints to create in the upcoming future.
>>55996650
Are scripts really that easy to implement?
>>55996710
I would probably install Debian. Security is important to me, but I've never dealt with a virus before or any backdooring, so I am a bit unprepared if that were to ever happen. I'll probably start with vanilla and test my luck. Thanks though, I'll keep it in mind when I progressively build my paranoia.
>>
>>55996771
Yeah, you won't need an antivirus on Linux.
Yes, you can know every single process that is running.
I am 100% sure you'd be fine on LibreOffice. It's basically got 100% feature parity unless you rely on Excel macros, and it doesn't sound like you do. I use it for all my college work and it works as well if not better than MS Office.
Scripts are super simple to implement
Debian is a good choice. Just remember the old adage, RTFM (read the fucking manual)
>>
So gentoo can be the most bleeding edge Linux OS?
>>
>>55996771
>Are scripts really that easy to implement?

a very very basic example:

let's say you want to go into directory foo and delete file bar. In the terminal you would write:

cd foo
rm bar

or

cd foo; rm bar

a shell script is basically saving the commands in a text file named "myscript", then you just run the script instead of the commands
>>
>>55996839
So, for example, I can create a script to SSH into my FTP server? Sounds convenient.
>>55996822
The whole office thing is the only thing that would make me dual boot. I'm afraid of creating shitty powerpoints or essays because of new software. Is Wine a windows emulation? If so, could I emulate MicrosoftOffice if I'm feeling uncomfortable with Libre?
>>
>>55996891
Yes, that script would be super trivial
Wine is a compatibility layer. Yes, you could run MS Office there if you really wanted to.
You won't though, after you realize what you can do on LibreOffice.
>>
>>55996903
Will MPC-HC ever come over to GNU/Linux?
That's the only other software problem.
>>
>>55996935
Use mpv, that will cover you fully
>>
>>55996948
Okay, seems good to me.
Now I just need to find a new phone
Thanks everyone for the help!
>>
>>55996832
Dunno about the most, but you can have it pretty bleeding.
>>
>>55996719
What's so great about inkscape?
>>
>>55997069
It's great for when you need a vector graphic redactor.
>>
>>55997085
Cool, I think I'll give it a try if I ever need it.
>>
What should I install on a Debian Server (from the repos)? Anything at all. so far I have

apt-get install fail2ban tmux lynx mpd openjdk-8-jre-headless tcc lshw sudo rsync git irssi siege ngrep pv dtrx curl netcat openssl transmission-cli vim qemu gawk mc screen mosh exim4 lighttpd prosody ncmpcpp firmware-linux-nonfree fail2ban tmux lynx mpd openjdk-8-jre-headless tcc lshw sudo rsync git irssi siege ngrep pv dtrx curl netcat openssl transmission-cli vim qemu gawk mc screen mosh exim4 lighttpd prosody ncmpcpp firmware-linux-nonfree 
>>
>>55997189
Is libressl in the repos? It's made by the OpenBSD team and has far fewer bugs than OpenSSL does. Also, you might want to grab OpenSSH as well.
>>
How can I look at a package and see what it's dependencies are and what other packages require it as a dependency?
>>
>>55997189
you have lots of dupes in the line, but this is pretty much all i use in my servers.

mosh is interesting, have heard of it, but don't quite see the point since i have reliable internet and use screen a lot.
>>
>>55997229
according to apt, yes. I just want anything cli and headless regardless if its for a game
>>55997261
I noticed, I keep messing up with putty, im on windows for the day
>>
>>55997255

depends on the distro, if you're on debian, apt-get remove [package] also removes its dependencies and shows you, just run it without confirming
>>
>>55997274
I would recommend libressl over openssl, but that's just me.
>>
>tfw when waiting for a package maintainer to update so you can fix a small bug
>>
>>55997333

I'm on Arch. I'm just worried that when I do remove x package, and it shows a list of 13 other packages being removed, are any of those 13 required by another package that I'm not deleting? Does it automatically check that and doesn't delete them?
>>
>>55997364
I don't know about arch, but I'm pretty sure debian does.
>>
>>55997364
Sure it does. It can't be that retarded to not do it.
>>
>>55997392
>Arch
>>
File: SpaceFM.jpg (149KB, 1920x1024px) Image search: [Google]
SpaceFM.jpg
149KB, 1920x1024px
>>55988291
>>55988450
>>55988487

I don't use previews but I'll still vouch for spacefm as my favourite graphical file manager
>>
>>55997189
Why do you need openjdk on a server? Java based server software?
>>
>>55997524
I've wanted a Minecraft server for years, never really got around to it and I want to play it again
>>
>>55996088
Probably for historical reasons, or just for security in general. They don't want every user of a computer to be allowed to shut it down by default, especially on a server or something important.

Graphical environments came later, and they're typically designed for personal use, so it's less of a big deal (and more convenient) to give the DE permissions to shutdown/reboot.
>>
>>55997255
$ pacman -Qi
$ pacman -Si

>>55997364
how do you remove x package anon?

-R will remove only the x pkg

-Rs will remove the x pkg + the deps it installed

-Rc is sort of recursive

in all cases you are informed and warned if a pkg is optionally used by another

man pacman
>>
After looking for window-managers/desktop-environments I started using xfce with the i3 window manager, but, xfce-panel doesn't interface as well with i3 as i'd hope, and would now like to go to standard i3

However I like the "just werks" aspect of whiskermenu and would like to know if there is any application launcher that interfaces with i3bar/whatever-else-is-compatible-with-i3 well, and has a customizable icon

Any suggestions? I'm still relatively new to loonix, and was drawn to it by it's modulability
>>
In Slackware, what's the command to list all currently installed packages in terminal like other distributions can?
>>
File: mpv-shot0033.jpg (126KB, 1280x716px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0033.jpg
126KB, 1280x716px
Cinnamon and gnome 3 use less resources than Windows 10 correct?
>>
>>55997781
overblown the amount of resources gnome 3 uses.

but yeah, should work better than win10
>>
>>55997886
Well I prefer cinnamon desu. Windows 10 runs just fune on my t420. was thinking of doing a dual boot. haven't used linux in awhile and i am sort of used to certain hotkeys and styles with it.

I read Windows is better for battery life. But I rarely use battery anyway
>>
>>55988125

>and the dev is a /g/ regular.
How is that relevant at all?
>>
So I've succsessfully installed Debian in a VM and I like it. Can /fglt/ tell me how to set up Debian as dualboot with Win 7? Please assuma I'm 5 year old. I'm very new to this.
>>
>>55998136
You need to find extensive installation guides in the internet (there are guides) and follow them.
>>
>>55998136
Oh my god, where are your parents?
>>
>>55998136
got some candy in a car, let's go get it and then i'll help you install gnu/linux
>>
>>55998179
I there a site you can recommend?
>>
Hi /fglt/, made a thread for gamers, get in >>55998232
>>
>>55998323
Why are you trying so hard?
>>
>>55998179
If debian has any sort of wiki, use it. Other than that, just search for the one that is written seriously and plausibly. And don't hesitate to read about unfamiliar terminology, it's the only way to begin understanding.
>>
File: linux-desktop-i-want-to-believe.jpg (21KB, 300x375px) Image search: [Google]
linux-desktop-i-want-to-believe.jpg
21KB, 300x375px
>>55998345
>>
>>55998367
Linux does not need to go mainstream. Larger community means more retards, more retards means more pandering to retards (widespread adoption of systemd being one example) and more people wanting to make money on retards (hence linux malware, open programs going proprietary and all the shit)
>>
>>55997428
>source code 2.5 KB
>executable 25.5 KB
how
>>
>>55998414
include shit from library
>>
>>55998404
Linux already is semi mainstream with distros like Linux mint existing plus steam on Linux.
>>
>>55998444
>with distros like Linux mint

bullshit
>>
>>55998444
There's a big difference between 1% of desktops and 10% of desktops. The latter will be the end of linux as it is now, mark my word.
>>
>>55998467
Your can't get more pandering and landholding than with Linux mint. Face it, Linux is somewhat mainstream since everyone is aware of it.
>>
>>55998404
Linux is a kernel, developed by an open source team which actually aims for market share.
>>
>>55998476
>muh sekrit klub
>>
>>55998528
He's probably talking about how Neo-Loonix will be far too streamlined and won't have any similarities to the Linux we have now, basically becoming a shittier OS X
>>
>>55998490
That's not what mainstream means. People would have to actually use it, and Mint isn't even the biggest distro inside this tiny piece of Linux desktop market share.
>>
File: Aspire 5560G.jpg (177KB, 816x639px) Image search: [Google]
Aspire 5560G.jpg
177KB, 816x639px
I've been trying out different distros for my old Acer Aspire 5560g.
>Ubuntu
slow and crap
>Lubuntu
Faster, kind feels like it's missing some things though and the every other desktop environment I try feels bloated and slow
>Mint
Love the experience but it feels really slow. Also the graphics are clunky and don't feel smooth at all compared to Lubuntu. There are no recommended drivers for my GPU. Even Winblows seems faster.

Is there a middle-ground?
>>
>>55998558
With Poetteringware
>>
>>55998578
Yep, they just need to add DE to the systemd, and Linux market share will skyrocket. It will be called Linux/Systemd
>>
>>55998558
You mean like what is happening with systemd?

Admit it, isn't going get worse than that.
>>
>>55998592
Why was there such a wide and swift adoption of systemd? Why not runit like what Void uses?
>>
>>55998593
Use OpenRC so I wouldn't know
>>
>>55998606
Because Redhat/NSA lobbyism. That, and pandering to retards, whose critical mass among the userbase of the most popular distributions have been reached.
>>
>>55998404
> muh secret club OS

there woll always be autist distributions for people who want to have to work on their systems.

Linix being widespread would push people at large to think more freely and encourage them to to think more about how their computers work and what programs are doing. Malware is an inevitability, and it'll be dealt with swiftly like all exploits and security holes are.

> open source programs going proprietary
When has this ever happened? Why would this ever happen?
>>
>>55998606
Red Hat devs pushed big time for their adoption even knowing it was buggy big time, like with pulseaudio
>>
>>55907440
>>
>>55998627
>When has this ever happened? Why would this ever happen?
Don't you remember paid skyrim mods shitstorm? You should. It would happen because developers want monies, as long as there are people who are ready to pay monies and the framework for it.
>Linix being widespread would push people at large to think more freely and encourage them to to think more about how their computers work and what programs are doing.
Okay, I am using autist distributions and most people use linux+systemd, which has a lot of soft and games, but almost all of these require systemd to work. So I win nothing from the widespread adoption of linux.
>>
File: 1462238349202.jpg (179KB, 1188x670px) Image search: [Google]
1462238349202.jpg
179KB, 1188x670px
>>55998661
>>
>>55998629
Why?

And why does everyone who uses a distro that adopted systemd so quick to defend it? Again, why is runit not being talked about a lot more?
>>
File: 1450347081363.jpg (102KB, 800x789px) Image search: [Google]
1450347081363.jpg
102KB, 800x789px
>>55984997
Why the fuck is Linus so cute???
>>
>>55998716
Because runit is an obscure init system written by a literally who distribution for itself. The biggest alternative for systemd currently is Gentoo's OpenRC.
>>
>>55998716
Don't take online opinions like being neutral, because a lot of us migrated away from systemd and the poettering fanboyism is totally artificial imho
>>
> le systemd a shit meme

I'm truly confused as to why people are so opposed to trying to standardize the low-level Linux system. One of the biggest obstacles to widespread Linix adoption is the differences between distributions and needing to configure a buncch of different programs in order to change the system in a meaningful way (you know, one of the main draws of Linux).

I'm fairly confident that anyone opposed to widespread Linux adoption is just a jackass who doesnt want his secret club OS violated. Widespread Linux adoption means a greater foothold for FOSS, better hardware support, better software support, and greater software selection. There will always be minimal distributions that require work to set up and maintain of that's your sticking point.
>>
>>55997189
I only quickly browsed through it. But I usually get vnstat, bmon, and htop for my servers
>>
New thread: >>55998768
>>
>>55998716
>Why?
>muh market share

also
>muh NSA
if you believe the memes
>>
>>55998765
>Linix
>le poettering dindu nuffin meme
>>
>>55998790
> no arguments
> point out a typo, call his argument a meme, call it a day.
>>
>>55998570
Try Xubuntu or Ubuntu Mate.
If you don't mind getting your hands a bit dirty, Debian netinstall will be way lighter than all of those while maintaining a "complete" environment.

As for Lubuntu/LXDE, you can also try LXQt, which should be more modern and it'll hit Lubuntu in 16.10(Although there should be a PPA if you want to use it on 16.04)
>>
File: 550_firefox2v.jpg (89KB, 550x761px) Image search: [Google]
550_firefox2v.jpg
89KB, 550x761px
Used Mint 17.2 with Cinnamon for the past year (used MATE a little but there was a bit of screen tearing on videos)

Upgrade to 18 because some shit broke and I couldn't fix it, so I said fuck it.

Mint is great, but everyone seems to recommend it only as a beginner distro.

Why should I move on to something like fedora or debian?
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.