[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pic related = Waste of time.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: logo_blue_dark.png (41KB, 3705x779px) Image search: [Google]
logo_blue_dark.png
41KB, 3705x779px
Pic related = Waste of time.
>>
Well obviously... It's called http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

I read all of those multiple times back when I actually thought coding was worth my time.
>>
>Heres the solution to a problem.
>here's all the pieces to the solution.
>Not the other way around

Checks out.
>>
>>55980351
if you don't cheat and and actually do the problems its pretty good for learning the basic concepts of programming. Like all classes on the internet its about self responsibility. people that bash code academy are probably at a place where they don't need to refresh themselves on the basics and forgot what it was like to be a total noob.
>>
File: 1460083680596.gif (2MB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1460083680596.gif
2MB, 400x400px
>>55980351
>tfw started learning web dev on codecademy
>tfw went from customer service to junior dev a few months ago
>tfw salary tripled
>tfw genuinely owe it all to codecademy for getting my feet wet
>>
File: pepe cpu.png (386KB, 699x523px) Image search: [Google]
pepe cpu.png
386KB, 699x523px
>>55980351
>back when I actually thought coding was worth my time
>was worth my time

I didn't realize this til I saw entire online communities dedicated to solving "coding problems". They treat coding exercises like sudoku as some sort of abstract mental challenge. THIS is how people spend their time... solving imaginary problems.

It's almost as much of a waste of time as trying to get imaginary "achievements" in video games.
>>
>>55980868
if you don't like solving puzzles then find an new line of work or hobby. That is all programming is some of us just like solving problems.
>>
>>55980631
Good job man, keep it up!
>>
>>55980631
How did code academy get you a job? Did you show them your portfolio of hello world and number guessing games?
>>
>>55982507
not this guy but you really need to learn to fucking read
>tfw genuinely owe it all to codecademy for getting my feet wet
>>
read books , learning python fundamentals by Fabrizio Romano
>>
I want to learn coding. I almost started codecademy.

Does someone know where I should look for learning to code?
>>
>>55980351
I have basically the same experience as : >>55980631
>tfw started doing the python course because I'm bored and want to automate my work, tired of excel macros
> tfw codecademy for three months
> tfw I made a software solving my problems using directed graphs, bayesian statistics, that put out a map of GPS coordinates on an Open Street Maps and generate a .xls file, also scan a huge database of encrypted logs
> tfw I made a GUI for it and ~15 people accross the country are using it
> tfw I got offered a job in embedded development on the fucking High Speed Train
> tfw they offer to pay me some weeks of tutoring to learn ANSI C before I start the job
> tfw free rides across the country and 1.5x the pay
I still consider myself a total "junior" dev, but fuck I love my job, learn stuffs every days, work on big project, all thanks to codecademy, and so far I didn't fucked up and delivered on time, so I have to disagree with you OP.
>>
>>55982507
I had no idea how anything worked (aside from html and CSS) before I did a few codecademy courses. They showed me syntax and gave me a tiny bit of confidence to proceed.

Then I read a few books, did learn ruby the hard way, did about half of freecodecamp. Then I did CS50X with live lectures from LaunchCode, and LaunchCode helped me get a job. I worked as an underpaid "apprentice" for three months, then they offered me a full-on position.

So no, I didn't get a job solely because of Codecademy
>>
>>55983275
Fair enough. You seem like a smart highly motivated individual. Congratulations on your new career.
>>
>>55980631
Yea codecademy is where everything started for me. Understanding the gist helped when googling when working on bigger projects. Idk it just werked.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.