[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the most important coding languages to learn?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

What are the most important coding languages to learn?
>>
>>55974069
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvWTnIoQZj4
>>
>>55974069
Whatever, just make sure you have one marketable language, one niche. And make sure they compliment each other.

Ruby, Elixir, Javascript. Holy grail.
>>
>>55974069
punjabi
mandarin
>>
C
Javascript
A language to make money
A language that won't make you want to kill yourself, for personal projects.
>>
>>55974069
>posting a markup language while asking for programming languages
Kek
>>
>>55974198
>A language to make money
So Java?
>A language that won't make you want to kill yourself for personal projects
That doesn't exist. Maybe Scala?
>>
>>55974401
Java, C#, C++, even more Javascript... really, anything you can use for your bread and butter.

>That doesn't exist.
Oh come on, everyone has a language that they actually like, even if most people don't use it.
>>
Plankalkül, PVS, The Matrix.
>>
>>55974069
C++, C# and Java.
>>
>>55974338
markup is kinda programming
>>55974069
JavaScript is the only one you need
>>
>>55974401
>>A language to make money
>So Java?
Java will die out at some point.
C/C++/C# is the real money maker language. Serious non-web programming uses C and friends mainly.
>>
>>55974069
Haskell.
>>
>>55974338
Coding != programming
>>
>>55974945
Most of the hadoop/big data stuff I've seen is in either Java or Scala, none of those you mentioned.
>>
>>55974952

since when? i've been coding since the mid-80's its always been called coding.

now gtfoml
>>
>>55974952
That is not true. They are the same thing. OK?
>>
>>55974945

>Java will die out at some point.
Are you under the mistaken belief that Android will die any time soon? Because Android is rather tied in to Java.
>>
Languages are just syntax. Learn a few specifics and then it all generalizes.
>>
>>55974069
haskell
>>
>>55974069
HTML
>>
>>55974069
English
>>
>>55975439
This. It all depends on what you want to do. Picking the right language will save you the trouble of reinventing the wheel
>>
Lisp so you can say that language X is shit because it doesn't have any macros
>>
>>55974069
Perl
Python
C
Visual Basic
Javascript
SQL
>>
HTML, BASIC, Cobol, and Erlang

in that order
>>
c++
vhdl
javascript
python
haskel

if you know 4/5 of these, you can do almost anything
>>
>>55974069
Three bit repetition code, Hamming code, etc...
>>
>>55976989
No, learn forth so you can outsmug the Lispers when they say that.
>>
>>55977507
I think VHDL is really only for electrical engineers.

That said, I wonder what kind of image processing/machine vision stuff military contractors have been able to get onto their FPGA boards.
>>
>>55974069
Doesn't matter which language exactly. Just get some variety.
a functional language like SML, Haskell or Lisp,
a scripting language like Python, Ruby or Lua,
an object oriented language like Java or C++,
and maybe one of the modern systems language like Rust or Go.
If you want to know about computer architecture, learn an assembly language and C.
>>
>>55974952
You're right
>>55975264
>>55975268
Scripting languages like Shell are not programming languages. They are scripting languages. Although you can program in them they do not have proper functions. Markup languages like HTML are not programming languages either. There for
Coding != Programming
>>
>>55974069
If you know C++, you know every imperative language. So C++.
>>
I just use Python and C but I have gotten used to other languages syntax easily. Lua is a good example of that.
>>
>> C
>> Go
>> JavaScript
>>
Master one language if you actually want a job. I'd rather know a single language and how to use 50-100 libraries of that language, than just know the basic syntax and what I can do without libraries of 10 languages.

Java, C#, scripting, .NET, etc. if you actually want an entry level job without college education or decades of experience, like C++.

Learn one language, and be good at that. Open a GitHub account or similar and upload all of your projects, whether it's a cli math game, a file manager, a screenshot tool that automatically uploads to ___.com, etc. Find a new library and try to create a project with it. Find an API and create a tool for it. etc. Don't just follow ___ 101 tutorials of 10 languages and say you know them all because you know how to define variables and write a main method.
>>
File: le lol over lisp.png (162KB, 571x307px) Image search: [Google]
le lol over lisp.png
162KB, 571x307px
>>55977693
>he hasn't read chapter 8 of LOL
>>
>>55974096
>Barney Starship

No thanks.
>>
>>55975277
Google is working on an automatic conversion tool to convert the Android APIs to Dart. The Dart team is almost as big as the Android team now.
>>
>>55977793
>Scripting languages like Shell are not programming languages. They are scripting languages.
Wrong
>>
>>55974069
more importantly, learn concepts. then you can learn any language. if you mean employ ability, java is a good place to be at.
>>
>new student walks in first day of class
>"is this the HTML programming class?"
>later I try to explain to him that HTML isn't a programming language
>he insists it is
>lelfrogface.jpg
>>
>>55974069

Python is a good user-friendly language to start with.

Java is great if you want to get into OOP and Graphics, and it holds your hand a lot less than Python.

C++ is essential to any programming education, and as far as I'm concerned, it's the most useful language out there.

Javascript is pretty essential to learn if you want a job in the industry, but I wouldn't pick it up just for fun.

x86 Assembly is a great introduction to low-level programming. It's easy to learn, hard to master.

Lisp is pretty cool, considering it's over half a century old. But it's probably not a very practical language to learn at this point. Stay away from Scheme, especially if you're a beginner.
>>
File: 12389037408.jpg (60KB, 480x411px) Image search: [Google]
12389037408.jpg
60KB, 480x411px
>>55974401
>won't make you want to kill yourself
>Scala
>>
File: 1468262801914.jpg (53KB, 1002x1199px) Image search: [Google]
1468262801914.jpg
53KB, 1002x1199px
>>55974069
Golang
>>
>>55974123
Punjabi it is.. *chak de*
>>
>>55977786
This. Variety is more important. Most applications or APIs these days are compatible with a variety of languages. Just learn a decent OO language, some scripting (Both web and system), and a low-level or fundamental language like C. Then there's room to dabble in other languages and find your favorite. After that, you've gotten the essential knowledge you need to work with most anything.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.