[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux Distro for newfags?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 12

File: variation of a JUST 2.jpg (58KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
variation of a JUST 2.jpg
58KB, 600x600px
What's a good linux distro for a newfag? I tried ubuntu and it looked like some orangey rip-off of Microshaft. I hear good things about Mint?
>>
>>55969335
Fedora
>>
>>55969335
You heard correct. Go with Mint. Do not listen to anyone trying to push you into a distro more advanced than mint or *buntu.

I repeat: DO NOT LISTEN.
>>
Ubuntu. Mint is a meme, run by amateurs.
>>
>>55969335
>>>/v/
>>
>>55969709
>linux distro
>/v/
KEK
>>55969551
I was going to get Mint but /g/ said it was worse then ubuntu..
>>
Slackware or Gentoo
>but i am le babby man i can't use hard OS
you aren't going to learn how to use Linux with Ubuntu or Mint, you're just going to use the GUI all the time like on Windows.
>>
KDE Neon if u want KDE ( the most featured )
Linux Mint if you want Cinnamon ( the most Windows-like)
Ubuntu Mate if you want Mate ( the simplest )

Xubuntu for (very) slow computer
>>
>>55969797

Mint is a fucking mess under the hood. You would be more secure with almost any other distro.
>>
>>55969888
/thread
>>
>>55969797
yes but you used your /v/ image folder vaggot
>>
>>55969888
>KDE Neon if u want KDE ( the most featured )
You tried KDE Neon? It is the first time I hear about it. You recommend it really?
>>
>>55969860
But what if that's all OP wants
>>
>>55969968
Some month ago i would recommend Kubuntu but Canonical doesn't give a shit anymore of KDE and the version of the 16.04 is shitty and buggy
With KDE Neon you have an Ubuntu-based with the last stable version of KDE (if you take the user edition ) wich is currently very stable
>>
Debian > Ubuntu
>>
>>55970023
Debian don't have PPA and all package are too old.
And don't even talk about testing or unstable for a daily use
>>
>>55970054
+100
>>
Debian = Ubuntu
>>
>>55969968
Oh god, no.

I tried KDE neon really wanting to like it, as KDE looked amazing, and neon seemed like the slimmest, newest, most appealing version.

On e5450:
countless multi-monitor issues
docking multi monitor issues
cannot shutdown via GUI, appears as though it will but never does (!!!!!)
hibernate doesn't work
once closed and left in briefcase, discovered it minutes later scalding hot.

so uh nah. went from this to kubuntu, before I realized that despite my best wishes, in its current state KDE a shit.

currently using mint cinnamon and fedora with success
>>
>>55969335
Debian stable, start there.

Mint is an absolute disaster. Anyone advocating that you use it is a newbie themselves. It's basically Ubuntu but maintained by one guy with a different desktop environment, crippled updating system and an annoying 'search enhancement' botnetted into firefox.

Debian > Ubuntu > Mint

Just go to the source and learn it.
>>
>>55969335
mx-15 for older computers, looks really nice

or lxle for even older computers, has everything out of box

Im not sure if there is any distros for newer computers, anyone know?
>>
>>55970707
oh ya, mints just like ubuntu, but looks nicer, got me hooked on linux and all the free wares, but didnt stick with it
>>
If you have a desktop use fedora. laptop? use your stock OS.
>>
>>55969335
xubuntu
>>
>>55970011
>this confuses the autist
>>
Manjaro
>>
>>55970737
same here.
>>
>>55969573
This. Ubuntu is the only polished distro.
>>
http://rbt.asia/g/thread/S55488184#p55502261
http://rbt.asia/g/thread/S55472222#p55477683
http://rbt.asia/g/thread/S55899614#p55899943
>>
>>55969335

They sell starbucks in a can now ?
>>
>>55970363
> Larry Wall is a newbie

Mint is the same as Ubuntu. Period. It's just Ubuntu with Cinnamon (the best Cinnamon integration you can get). Default settings, packages and whatever you don't like in Mint as it comes by default can be changed... just like you would change them on Ubuntu.
>>
>>55969335
Gentoo.
>>
Should I go with Ubuntu or Xubuntu? Or does it matter?

I kind of like Xfce over Unity.
>>
>>55969335
Tbh, antegros with gnome
easy install
everything just werks
>>
>>55969335

holy shit is this Falco?
>>
I'm planning on trying out Ubuntu with an live cd.

What are some things I can do to make sure everything is working properly?
>>
>>55969551
>>55973120

One reason not to use mint.

Go with Ubuntu instead
>>
Stock ubuntu is legit just as easy to use as windows 8 with the exception of installing stuff takes more effort
>>
>>55974298
Ubuntu was legit easier for me to pickup than windows vista was, all the software I needed was on the software center
>>
>>55969335
Gentoo. Use the extremely thorough documentation.

Ubuntu is closer to Windows privacy wise, than Unix.

If you don't think you're competent to do so, just know that I successfully installed it after not eating for 3 days, while in severe pain (type 2 trigeminal neuralga), suffering from malnutrition otherwise, with my brain full of histamine, and with SIBO, ie, bacteria in my gut generating toxins that are readily transported across the intestinal wall. I won't lie, the kernel configuration step was difficult because I kept forgetting what sections I'd already done and internally refused to move in serial order. But I did it just fine. If you can't do it, you're intrinsically inferior to me. Yes, intrinsic inferiority. Meaning on your best day, you're net inferior to me, possibly even on my worst. In such a case, get fucked lazy braindead degenerate. :^)
>>
>>55969335
linux mint bro.
>>
File: 1460420822784.jpg (25KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1460420822784.jpg
25KB, 500x375px
>>55969335
>starbucks in a can
NEVER AGAIN
>>
If I could restart my journey Id probably start with arch.
Shit will teach you to read the docs carefully real quick.
>>
>>55969335
>>55969860
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>55973959
Yep it's him.
>>
File: Samsung_n150.jpg (643KB, 1785x1556px) Image search: [Google]
Samsung_n150.jpg
643KB, 1785x1556px
Got given a Samsung N150+ to fuck around with, the specs are garbage so what distro should I use and do I have to do anything specific to get WiFi working?
>>
>>55970054
>Debian don't have PPA and all package are too old.
Never heard of sid?
>>
>>55969860
>>55969903
>>55970023
>>55970363
>>55972920

If you wanna learn linux go Slackware or gentoo. If you want "just werks" go for Debian although you will have an orientation period.
>>
>>55974938
thanks onii chan
>>
Negatory. Mint is greeny rip-off of Microshaft with shitty code (shittier than Ubuntu). Literally any distro is better.
>>
>>55976590
This desu senpai
>>55969860
Slackware can't be a serious advice, can it?
>>
>>55976590
If you wanna learn Gentoo, get Gentoo. If you wanna learn Linux, get Slackware. This is coming from a Gentoo desktop user. Although Gentoo does definitely teach you more about Linux internals than most other distros (and definitely more than Arch, which does essentially everything for you except for the cool kid ricing xDdddd)
>>
>>55977837
>Slackware can't be serious advice
I see you started your Linux adventure in the past few months. Welcome.
>>
>>55977908
Tell me about it, then. From what I've heard, Slackware is rather bareboned, stable to the point of getting old at release and lacks a package manager.
>>
>>55969335
You need to install gentoo!
>>
linux isnt for you OP
stick to your gaymen OS
>>
File: 1470431046633.jpg (11KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1470431046633.jpg
11KB, 320x320px
>>55977938
>>
File: Majestic Norwegian Forest Cat.jpg (132KB, 564x1002px) Image search: [Google]
Majestic Norwegian Forest Cat.jpg
132KB, 564x1002px
In Mint you can trust.

For Chromebooks: GalliumOS
>>
>>55969335
Debian and Fedora are great if you want a good OS that works.

Gentoo and Arch if you want to learn more about it and waste your time on something just for the sake of it (ex interested in coding or just a NEET).

People here on /g/ usually say shit about mint but it fills it's purpose, it's a great starting distro and it does work great, some people just want something easy that just runs and have no prior linux knowledge, mint is great for them.
>>
File: terry.jpg (321KB, 1971x1971px) Image search: [Google]
terry.jpg
321KB, 1971x1971px
>>55978294
>interested in coding
welp i think im gonna take this advice
>>
>>55977929
Not that guy, but:
>Bareboned
If, by this, you mean that it is completely open and is configured very easily through completely plaintext configuration files, then yes. If you mean that it uses vanilla packages with no patches, making everything work exactly as upstream wanted it and making troubleshooting easy, then also yes.
>Stable to the point of getting old at release
It is incredibly stable, but it has relatively new versions of packages at release. Obviously they get older as you wait for a new release, just like with any other non-rolling-release distro, but there is a rolling release, Slackware-current. It isn't Arch/Gentoo-tier hemorrhaging edge, because it's just the current set of packages being successively updated for the new release, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
>Lacks a package manager
It has a package manager, slackpkg. I don't think anybody says it doesn't have a package manager. It lacks automatic dependency management, but that isn't a problem because it clearly tells you what you need. The package selection is fairly small, however. The reason for this is that you can supplement it with stuff from elsewhere. It is ridiculously easy to turn any source code into a package that is installable and removable with slackpkg, but a site called slackbuilds.org provides most everything you'll ever need so that doesn't really become necessary. You can use a widely used package manager provided by slackbuilds.org called "sbopkg" to automatically install stuff from the site, making it easy to install literally anything.

I have never had anything break using Slackware, and its use of vanilla packages makes it easy to follow the instructions of the developer of the program when you dont know how to use it or need help, because it works exactly as it was designed. The plaintext config makes it easy to get things working exactly as you want them, without needing to use some systemd meme config program that modifies secret binary files.
>>
>>55969860
Be advised op these two are dropout distros, you only get into these if you WANT a timesink because you're unemployable
>>
>>55978294
Debian is nice. Fedora is a meme with a literal app store.

Arch is an almost-good distro, Gentoo is a great distro.

Debian is good enough for a beginner with no knowledge, and it works great for a long time user too. No need to complicate things with broken shittily coded green themed memes like Mint. (That means don't use the shittily coded green themed meme distro named Manjaro either. It takes a mediocre distro and turns it into a shit distro, in much the same way Mint does with Ubuntu.)
>>
>>55978359
Neither of these is a timesink.

Slackware justwerks and Gentoo justwerks if you can take ten seconds a day to type "emerge --sync && emerge -uDvN && emerge --depclean", and if you cron that, it justwerks.

Slackware has an automatic installer though, so it's better for new folks than Gentoo, which has an Arch-tier manual installation thing from a live shell environment. There are also Gentoo Live CDs though, which are nice and easy. The only hard or long thing about Gentoo is the installation, and these cut down on that.

I use Gentoo on desktop and Slackware on a server. Slackware takes 0 seconds a day to manage. Gentoo takes 5 seconds a day to manage. Easy as pie. Installation of Slackware took about 5 minutes. Installation of Gentoo took like 3-4 hours, but almost all of that was just rebuilding world, which you don't actually need to do and which you don't even need to be at the computer for. (I wasn't even at the computer for more than 15 minutes of the installation process for Gentoo.)
>>
>>55978343
Thank you! Sounds sweet, clarity is what most distributions really lack. So it's like something between a "regular" DIY distribution like, say, Arch, and LFS?
>>
>>55978343
>bareboned
Byword for no software

>stable
Yeah right because your average slack turd sticks to the "software" on the CD so you have 700 megs of nothing as we are approaching plan9 and bsd tier autism in which they don't have any software and just say the whole internet post 1999 is "bad" so you don't really NEED a web browser with CSS support

>I've never had anything break with slack
Probably true but the saying goes that if you cut off a dog's legs he will never break them. Slack is more like an anti version of osx where there's a universe of nothing and then being claimed it's some sort of by design "ecosystem"

If it's stable why are there 0 slack servers as hosts? No important site runs slack, it's a timesink dropout distro.

The reason why we have so many legit "omg I tried Linux and it's loser neet shit" threads is because every time some new person shows up asking about it, all the employed redhat and Debian people can't post from their jobs and you sink under a sea of ironic dropout timesink loser "recommendations" where they're using it as a drug to get high off of and waste all their free time.

Take a step back and really ask yourself if a newbie is going to get 4 lines through your obscure gay installation process before coming back and saying LINUX SUCKS.
>>
>>55978441
>Gentoo justwerks if you can take ten seconds a day to type "emerge --sync && emerge -uDvN && emerge --depclean", and if you cron that, it justwerks
At every given update there's a chance, albeit small, to break something. Which isn't a problem in itself, but I prefer to make updates when I have free time, just in case.
>>
File: 1470492835442.png (63KB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
1470492835442.png
63KB, 400x320px
Pretty much any of the major one shilled on here are good for anybody. Ubuntu, Arch, Fedora, Debian, etc. They all have their own repositories that contain 99% of the applications you need. Some are more tedious than others to get setup with the proper drivers, but I wouldn't call it hard.

I would suggest a flavor of Manjaro. It's Arch based but more friendly to people coming from Windows OS. Manjaro has their own repository than Arch's, but you still get access to AUR.

Debian is the most stable, and most popular. If any software/application supports linux, they will likely have a .deb package that you can install with Gdebi or something.

Ubuntu is based off of Debian, and is the most popular for beginners. I personally can't stand all the bloat. Lubuntu idled consuming ~900mb of memory, while Manjaro with the same DE idled at around 275mb.

Fedora is for virgin autists hence the name, but I don't judge so I included it anyways. It's controlled by a publicly traded corporation.

My ratings
>1: Arch/Manjaro
>2: Debian
>3: Ubuntu
>4: Fedora
>Honorable Mentions: Slackware
>>
>>55978528
>Manjaro
Isn't this an ubuntulike all-included system built on Arch, but even more unstable than Ubuntu? Why would you use that.
>>
File: 1454634218064.jpg (34KB, 400x446px) Image search: [Google]
1454634218064.jpg
34KB, 400x446px
>>55969551
>>
>>55978501
You could also go for Ubuntu, Debian, redhat, mint which have all eliminated this problem because they aren't stuck in the past, soon you'll see the arch/gentooslack loser defence force say shit like "it won't break if you read 4 hours of mailing lists" which is not only not inconvinent for them but they fucking NEED it to fill up their time.

Linux distros post 2010 are about running or making your app, it should self maintain itself and be as transparent as the kernel is to programs to your business.
>>
>>55978608
>implying Ubuntu, Debian or whatever don't break on update, or out of the blue
You see, the problem is, they do. Which is why I stick to Gentoo which generally breaks _less_
>>
>>55973136
>I kind of like Xfce over Unity.
You answered your own question.
>>
File: 1469833879240.png (30KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
1469833879240.png
30KB, 270x270px
>installed mint next to windows today to start messing around with Linux and get familiar with it
>this thread happens
Time to wipe that partition and download Debian haha [spoiler]fuck[/spoiler]
>>
>>55978791
kill yourself
>>
>>55978645
Whatever you want to pretend is fine to fit in on irc, bottom line is these timesink distros don't run anything important. Server world is redhat, Debian, Ubuntu, HP and dell and major OEMS have installation docs and drivers for them on their servers because there is actual interest from business, you don't see gentoo mentioned much.
>>
>>55978463
It really is pretty comfy desu senpai
>>55978489
Ah. You can install anything you fucking like, thanks
>Install
>Open up Firefox
>Get sbopkg
>Install whatever you want
>Months later
>Find one of the two or three packages not in official repos or in sbo
>Download source
>Make a package with like one command
>Installpkg package.tgz

That answers all of the other REEing except for one.
>obscure gay installation process
Literally a graphical installer that asks simple questions about what you want and does it for you
>>
>>55978501
Yeah, I guess there is a miniscule chance of something requiring a use change or maybe just failing to build, but those problems take moments to fix. Still, I get your point.

>>55978608
It won't break, period, with Gentoo. Sometimes you just have to make a small config file change, but it tells you what to change and even has tools to do it automatically if you like.
>>
>>55978806
Gentoo and slack are both pretty big on servers, slack more so though.
>>
>>55978806
>>55978895
I'm not going to pretend they're Debian-big.
>>
>>55978929
>>55978895
>>55978806
Me again. And I'm just gonna say that they (and bsds) are rising in popularity after a long period of slump (Gentoo somewhat more than Slack) because of systemd. Gentoo is the distro known most widely to be non-default-systemd. It forked udev for God's sake.
>>
>>55969335
Mint is just Ubuntu with a skin made by jihadis.
Install xubuntu or ubuntu gnome.
Don't fall for the mint shills.
>>
>>55969335
>>55969551
>that strong babby duck syndrome
GNU/Linux is not for you, idiot.
>>
>>55978816
>apt-get install Firefox
>weeks later no work required as it will update itself daily
Problem is apt and Ubuntu are too easy/mainstream/good and we muat pretend to use an "exotic" distro

>>55978895
Which servers
>nothing important
>oh but this one cherry picked company in a red and orange sea of Debian and Ubuntu

I just came up with a new idea for a distro, its called slackbuntu. Basically, install Ubuntu but remove all the repo lines except for the CD, you aren't allowed to download anything else. Will never break. Thankfully it has a web browser included so you can get online and tell everyone how superior you are, but don't because the web is cancer anyway.
>>
>>55969335
>ubuntu looked like some orangey rip-off of Microshaft.
Uhh, what? Ubuntu Unity is clearly trying to appear like Mac OS
>>
>>55979017
>Linux is Muh secret club
>go shitdistro or go home cause I'm a dropout
>>
File: 1467074648149.gif (3MB, 200x161px) Image search: [Google]
1467074648149.gif
3MB, 200x161px
>>55979017
agreed sir
>>
>>55979036
>I didn't read any of the previous replies and am still meming about there being no software for Slackware
Ok
>>
>>55979155
>Slackware got its package manager 3 years ago and Ubuntu/deb et al have had them since 2003
Fine
>>
>>55979036
Also,
>if I can't post a list of 4000 companies that use Gentoo and 10000 that use Slackware then they're shit distros

Again, Debian is more widely used in servers. That doesn't mean every other distro on Earth is suddenly invalid and a meme. I don't need to argue here. If you were willing to be converted, you would be willing to Google reasons to use it yourself.
>>
>>55979188
>3 years ago
Well done making a new meme lie. Slackware was among the first to have package managers, if not the first.
>>
>>55979201
I'm not being converted, this is for newbies which is why the thread was started. You are doing the Linux community a disservice when you ironically "recommend" gentoo, slack, or arch. There is no defence for this, you are doing this because secretly you WANT them to flip out in 5 hours and come back and make a "Linux is for losers!!!!!!" thread.

You spend most of your time hating on "normies"... there is NO way that a "normie" is going to make it 5 minutes into gentoo/slack.
>>
>>55969335
>What's a good linux distro for a newfag
Install ubuntu then spin up some VMs w/ kvm and have fun learning centos and debian.
>>
>>55979314
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting
>>
>>55979314
And I should note that I don't use Slack and Gentoo because I want to be a special snowflake. I used Slack for a while years ago, and moved to Gentoo when it became widely used in the early-mid 2000s. Meanwhile I've continued using Slackware on my server because it requires no work to maintain. When I started using these distros, they WERE the normal distros.
inb4 Hur dur lie nobody on 4chan is older than 20
>>
>>55979017
*tips*
>>
File: absolutely problematic.jpg (58KB, 402x552px) Image search: [Google]
absolutely problematic.jpg
58KB, 402x552px
>>55979314
But anon otherwise Linux will become to mainstream and then
>Muh sekret club
Won't exist
>>
I just installed mint on the computer I'm posting from as my first linux experience.

What exactly will happen next? Will it get taken over by 1337 haxors or set fire to my computer?
>>
>>55980178
Nothing, that's the point
You'll wake up tomorrow and everything will be fine because mint respects your time

Converted tons of my friends on mint, Ubuntu and they figured out how to install Skype on their own. My entire family is on it and I haven't gotten a call in over 5 years. How much luck have the gentoo and slack anti-users had with their friend conversions? Does it end with an invitation to your one man irc circlejerk?
>>
>>55980272
From the sound of /g/, it would seem mint is more dangerous than browsing for porn on a windows xp with no virus protection. Should I just get ubuntu instead?
>>
>>55980362
Yes, get Ubuntu. It's Mint without the gay green meme theme and it has better quality code. Better yet, get Debian. It's Ubuntu without the willingness to incorporate literal Amazon botnet into the OS.
>>
>>55980396
If the amazon "botnet" wasn't a factor, ubuntu would be preferable for a complete newbie?

I mean, you can just remove the amazon thingy, right?
>>
>>55980586
It's been out for two releases now, let's just have fun for a moment and prwrwnd it wasn't

/g/'s autism goes like this:
>spending weeks if not months to rice up an obscure distro and get it to atop exploding every 6 hours
A worthy task

>apt-get remove amazon
Suddenly this is too much work.

Amazon plugin only ever worked in unity anyway which /g/ wouldn't be caught dead using. Just goes to show you how none of this is about Linux, they're just using it to jerk off and pretend to be some elite hacker society.
>>
>>55969335
> Ctrl + F
> not one mention of openSUSE
seriously, try openSUSE Leap 42.1 it rocks with plasma
>>
>>55976399
"unstable"
>>
>>55969335
I asked the same question 1 week ago OP

I fiddled around with Fedora \ Ubuntu \ Gnome, finally settled on Ubuntu Gnome

Get Ubuntu Gnome, normal Ubuntu has the amazon crap on it.

Also if you have AMD dont use 16.04.1 its shit for you, run 14.04.4 instead.

Here's a vid showcasing the installation and how you get aptitude which is an alternative way to install apps without the software center.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpn1dnDO5Os

Also, if you hate the looks, thats why you have Gnome enabled, just tweak and modify it to your liking.
>>
The hardest thing about using a distro is hardware support. It's the main reason why people distro hop for so long until they settle, because shit don't work.
Considering it's basically all handled by the kernel devs themselves, you would think it would be simple, but it isn't. Mostly because so many distros choose ""stability"" and smaller update sizes over new software. Namely Debian and derivatives. And Fedora.
If it works, fine. If it doesn't, all non-rolling-release distros will likely cause you pain. The problem is, rolling release distros are a pain in the ass to set up, much more so than others. This leaves a gap in the consumer experience, leaving people who can't into linux out in the cold if they have newer hardware.
>>
So I have an X220 and I want to install Debian, but I don't know how to get around the non-free wireless driver issue.
>>
>asks for simple advice
>many contradictory replies with ambiguous levels of irony
nice one /g/
>>
how do u feel about memes g
http://www.strawpoll.me/10945502
>>
>>55975224
You are an useless idiot
>>
>>55969551
>falling for the 'easy distro' meme
No joke, you will just have a worse experience and wind up not liking GNU/Linux. You letting your baby duck syndrome get the best of you will just make you compare it to Windows more instead of seeing it as something completely different.

CrunchBang was the first distro that really opened my eyes and changed me, due to coming with openbox+tint2 instead of the generic bloat on most of the debian-based distros everyone recommends.
>>
>>55969860
You're 100% correct but I still wouldn't recommend either of those two desu

Arch is a solid rec, and I've heard a lot of good things about GuixSD and NixOS, although I haven't tried them yet.
>>
>>55969888
>choosing distro based on DE instead of trying different DEs/WMs after choosing your distro for a better reason
stop

>>55970054
Testing and Unstable are fine for daily use if you're just talking about stability, however both of them as well as Ubuntu STILL have really old packages when compared to Fedora, OpenSUSE, and Arch.
>>
>>55975202
Same. People recommending Ubuntu and Mint all the time really just fucks you up and delays the inevitable.
>>
>>55978556
people recommending manjaro or antergos just arne't in-the-know, or they'd probably be recommending architect
>>
>>55981957
>The hardest thing about using a distro is hardware support. It's the main reason why people distro hop for so long until they settle, because shit don't work.
I've literally never had hardware problems on any distro. Hardware is handled by the kernel so it shouldn't matter unless certain distros are just ancient.

Distro-hoppers just don't know what they're doing and are basing things off the out-of-the-box experience. (they don't know how to install a different DE)
>>
>>55969335
Ubuntu or Mint if you're replacing your windows computer.

Gentoo or Slackware if it's a separate computer you want to tinker with.
>>
>>55983570
>I've literally never had hardware problems on any distro.
Well there's no other reason for a distro to work on one machine but not on another. Installers, updates, settings, DEs. They all fuck up on one one machine but not my other one.
>>
>>55969335
>Asks for a good linux distro for a beginner
>tried the best linux distro for a beginner
>posts a single complaint
>it's about the way the UI looks

OP, you're missing the point. Go home.
>>
File: fedora_logo.png (15KB, 180x269px) Image search: [Google]
fedora_logo.png
15KB, 180x269px
>>55969519
First post best post.
Thread posts: 121
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.