[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/ builds a cheap ass Linux machine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: gnu plus linux.jpg (33KB, 432x324px) Image search: [Google]
gnu plus linux.jpg
33KB, 432x324px
What is a good setup for a cheap ass dedicated linux machine that I just use for basic bitch functions plus as a media centre?
List the parts you would use (with cost ideally for pure autism).
>>
>>55966367

1. raspberry pi
>>
>>55966367
any pc from the junkyard + a gt610 for 20 bucks
>>
>>55966385
I guess it wouldn't look too bad with an external hard drive attatched to store terrabytes of downloaded media..
>>
>>55966396
>gt210
I'm now stuck between going the rapberry pi meme route or the old junker route. The old junker appeals to my autism more but it would take longer to source all the parts.
>>
>>55966448
not sure if the rpi 3 finally makes a decent media center, but the other versions were horrible mediacenters.
also you can even find core2quads on the junkyard now, so you can could use if for ps2 emulation too
>>
>>55966367
A cheap ass Thinkpad seems to be what you're looking for. My initial thought was the X60 but the price for those seems to have gone up for some reason.

I'd ask /tpg/.
>>
>>55966547
>Thinkpad
I'd hook up to a monitor/HDTV for a comfy living room media centre.
>>55966514
I've heard the ri1 was shit, I'm hoping by the time I get round to it (late 2016 perhaps) there will be something ri related thats good enough
>>
>>55966629
>I've heard the ri1 was shit
nah the rpi 1 is awesome. it's just /g/ thats full of retards and thought it would be a great htpc..
>>
File: absolutely problematic.jpg (58KB, 402x552px) Image search: [Google]
absolutely problematic.jpg
58KB, 402x552px
>>55966690
I'd just use to play downloaded media, learn some programming languages now and then, and normie shit like watch youtube etc. I have a high end machine for anything that requires any power. Would a ri be good enough for that? I have no experience with these machines personally.
>>
>>55966690
No it was pretty shit for what they marketed it as.
>>
>>55966367
Any old Optilplex.
>>
>>55966793
they marketed it as an embedded computer for diy projects and for kids to learn basic programming. and it was fine for both of it.

>>55966740
>I'd just use to play downloaded media
it's just 1 usb2 controller shared between the network card (which is just 100 mbit) and the hdd.. so, depends on your internet connection i guess.

> learn some programming languages now and then,
thats what it was intended for . it's fine for that

> and normie shit like watch youtube etc
maybe the rpi3 .. rpi 1 and 2 not
>>
>>55966412
>Fast Ethernet
>High Speed USB
>shared bus for both

yeah that's a bad idea.
>>
>>55966937
Youtube should be doable on all Pis, as long as you skip playing shit in a web browser.
>>
>>55967018
i've only tried it in the browser a few years ago. currently all my rpi1s are in use and all without X, so can't test it.
but they sucked at playing anything thats not h256 ..
>>
>>55966448
Old junker for sure. Harddrives can only be connected to the pi over USB 2 and the USB bus is shared with ethernet.
>>
>>55967053
I get h264 from pretty much any video.

Grabbing the video with youtube-dl and telling mplayer or mpv (or whoever manages the hardware decode better) shaves off a pretty thick layer of poor coding.

Ideally you'd play straight on the framebuffer and skip X entirely, but I haven't done that.
>>
>>55967053
>h256
meant h264.. not sure how it became 256
>>
>>55967148
256 is a rather common number.
>>
I have rPi 3, was about 50€ with PSU, box, and 16GB Sdcard. Works well enough. Soon you don't even need an sdcard but can boot straight from USB. Also, any decent old phone charger can be used as PSU. If you want x86 then some Intel NUC..
>>
>>55966385
Gross. Get an odroid instead, much more powerful, still cheap, and has open-source hardware.
>>
I use something like this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/4Kj8M8

The bang for buck is about as good as it gets. The whole system burns less than 20W, too.
>>
>>55967248
Both chromium and ff are really slow but I guess sometimes acceptable. Pi 1/2/3.
Mediacenter on 2 is okay imo (fine 1080 mkv playback, smb speed and no input lag on wifi remote.)
Odroid-XU, or $300/400 i3 mini itx is great
>>
>>55967248
>64gb SSD
SSD seems uneccessary. You could build a junker for that price.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.