[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I visited my parents a few days ago and they gave me some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 5

File: l.png (735KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
l.png
735KB, 800x600px
So I visited my parents a few days ago and they gave me some of the old desktops we used to have because they would throw them away otherwise. What I got was

>Dell Dimension 4300
>Dell Dimension 8300
>HP Pavilion a1657c

What the fuck should I do with these? I don't want them to go to waste and figure I can use them somehow.
>>
>>55948194
Retro-sleeper rigs
Plastidip the old components and use them as decoration
Use the empty shells to build a 1080p gaming rig
>>
>>55948228
Pretty much the first thing
If it has an AGP slot, slap a voodoo in that bitch and install Windows 98
>>
That HP was my first computer in my room.

I never knew what that big ass hole was for.
>>
>>55948258
Voodoo is a bit too old for that hardware, isn't it?
They're P4 era machines

He could toss in a Radeon 9800. That would fit much better.

I still want to get an older rig and try out Voodoo SLI though.
>>
>>55948194
>What the fuck should I do with these?
Throw them away since they're worthless and you apparently don't have any use for them
>>
>>55948271
iirc basically a hot-swap hard drive with a proprietary connector and probably proprietary software
>>
You could turn them into some super basic low end simple home file servers. Or at least one of them.
>>
>>55948271
>>55948687
its their "media bay" drives. basically it was an external hard drive as the other anon had said. but it could also be used to read magnetic media from their EDGE servers.
>>
>>55948680
They're not worthless
OP could sell them on eBay for $150 claiming they're perfect for DOS games
>>
>take all the best parts
>slap en in one box
>install linux
>install kodi
>install all the emulators you can find
>???
>profit
>>
>>55948228
>retro sleeper rig

Who?
>>
>>55949005
A powerful build in a modest case ("sleeper rig") that uses parts from the era that these computers were released ("retro").
>>
>>55949070
Wow I outed myself as a non techie and didn't get destroyed on g. My mind is blown. Thanks for the legit response anon.
>>
>>55948194
>Dell Dimension 8300
I have this. Running great still, it does what I need. Windows support is down so now I am transitioning to Kubuntu. Strangely Kubuntu 16.04 will not boot, will try an earlier version.
>>
>>55949070
Why does that make me think of twinking in wow?
>>
File: 1447430656141.jpg (10KB, 567x405px) Image search: [Google]
1447430656141.jpg
10KB, 567x405px
>>55949203
Have a nice day anon!
>>
>>55948680
i used to have things like this
no more -- I have raspberry pi 3s
>>
>>55948194
that dell dimension was my mainstay for something like 7 years .. 7-8 years .. hammered it case was somewhat wrecked .. never used the zip drive, ever, used the floppy, it had different floppy/cds in it , and also had replaced the PSU @ least once .. the thing I slung some months ago, no funeral. It did a job.
>>
>>55949215

>Strangely Kubuntu 16.04 will not boot

Not being a smartass here, but if you have a Gallatin or early Prescott, you can't do 64-bit, so unless the 8300 is from a batch towards the end of the production run, you'll need to stick with x86.
>>
>>55948194
don't matter what peopel say about dells -- that dimension 8300 was tactile, solid, heavy -- not a cheap pc -- just a bit cheaper than HP workstations, which I was getting subsequently & running -- v heavy machines

they're also gone or lying about -- replaced by raspberry pi3s (matchboxes .. it's the future now)
>>
>>55948194
I use a dimension as a footrest. It is just right.
>>
>>55949370
Why do you have to type like this -- are periods and question marks too hard to type out?
>>
>>55949321
This. /thread
>>
Bump for interest.
>>
>>55949370

I prefer OptiPlexes, and Precisions, of course, but a handful of Dimensions weren't steaming piles of shit.
>>
>>55948194
/me had drilled the back of the case a bit to fit any old PSU.. had replaced the fuse on 1 PSU .. not sure why it blew a PSU .. some PSUs had glass fuses you could slot in, replace. l8r had a radeion 5350 or whatever in it £20, the cheapest radeon -- it was crap really - depressed thinking about it .. crap in comparison to raspberry pi 3s running mate (for everything)
>>
Salvage and throw out. Don't be a hoarder anon, those are nigh useless.
>>
>>55949415
why do you have to question me

grammar nazi
>>
>>55948194
install linux on all of them and look up apache hadoop yarn

learn that if you want a job

otherwise if youi're just going to dick around i dont know.... NTP server? I don imagine they are up for any heavy listing. useful as nodes in a hardware lab..

maybe donate them to a charity after cleaning the disks
>>
>>55949448
Its not grammar, its proper punctuation.
>>
>>55949415
it's my style :) just something I ended up doing ..
never think about it. YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH IT???? why
>>
>>55949459
Punctuation is indubitably grammar.
>>
>>55949454
way I see it -- a raspberry pi 3 sucks down < 1.5watt -- 1.5watt under load (max) .. those things will require 10x that .. power is an issue. people say that raspberry pi 3s aren't viable -- you would use a decent laptop and PCS like that as desktops-- always underpowered .. pi3s are far faster. they are for media/serving -- people say they don't "run the browser" .. they run efficient software browsers are kludgy, horrible .. raspberry pi3s are for everything except the browser... need youtube on them? use youtube-dl etc/ crontab. they're always on - perfect torrent playback & also HD (which is something that a dell dimension did not have). a pi3 is 40x faster than a dell dimension 8300

why do people even condider/look at those things - they're junk .. PCS older than 7 years old are junk
>>
>>55949415
Not him, but "--" is an informal way of writing an em dash or en dash, like "—" or "–". Dashes are shorter than hyphens, "-". Some illiterates use hyphens as dashes on their own. Dashes are used for interjections (similar to a comment put in parentheses), or used similarly to semicolons when attaching a short comment to the end of a complete sentence which does not merit its own sentence, or attaching a single term to the end of a sentence for stylistic purposes (e.g. "/g/ was the place—a bad place.").
>>
>>55949503
Punctuation is indubitably grammar.

^ YOU CAN'T SPELL!
>>
>>55949524
wut
>>
>>55949510
do they have PXE?
>>
>>55948194
auto ban these "I just got a load of trash what should I do with it /g/" threads
>>
>>55949524
ok ... adjective in·du·bi·ta·ble \(ˌ)in-ˈdü-bə-tə-bəl, -ˈdyü-\. Simple Definition of indubitable. : certainly true : not able to be doubted. Source: Merriam-Webster's ...

ok ok it just looked wrong
>>
>>55948194
Oh man the nostalgia hit me so hard.

My friend had one just like this and I remeber browsing the web and playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Max Payne on on of these

Ahhhh memories

But yeah as other anons will tell you make a retro sleeper.....that would be fun
>>
>>55949510
>dell dimension 8300
P4 - 728 MFLOPs
Pi 3 - 462 MFLOPs

play again next time

that said holy shit getting close
>>
>>55949547
i'm not sure -- first time i've seen the reference
remote install etc? well its fairly new .. they have bluetooth now .. integrated wirelss .. lemme check

is probably there now

https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/comments/48af52/raspberry_pi_3_usb_and_pxe_network_boot_boot/
>>
>>55949607
i think a pi3 is far far faster than a 9 year old dimension 8300
>>
>>55949624
>i think
Nice proof
https://bryanquigley.com/uncategorized/rasberry-pi-vs-old-dell-p4

t. different guy
>>
>>55949592
they're JUNK
why run them
power sucking overheating crud
better recycled

use raspberry pi 3s

they're excellent and earth-friendly (sucking 1.5watt MAX)
>>
>>55949624
you think wrong i think

besides, no one could tell me if the pi has PXE so im guessing not?

that'd make it useless. Im going to run around with an sd card writer and a pile of SD? yea, rite
>>
>>55949640
>stop liking what I don't like
M8 some people like old machines, get over it, also see>>55949639
>>
>>55949640
pi anything is not meant for daily work environment use, if your work is too poor OK, but otherwise real equipment is better. there are lots of arm based SBCs that are a lot better then high school clownspec pi
>>
>>55949639
article shows the debian (pi -- may not even be a pi3 (pi2), is on a different scale) .. this is a decade of advance in chip -- pi3 = 4core ARM .. they are far far faster than a pentium 4 (~ 12x faster) why old PCS are junk -- you have the fact that they don't have things like HD built in .. the wirless, bluetooth is built in on the pi3. why go there
>>
>>55949684
Like what? Ones that don't cost an arm and a leg
>>
>>55949684
i disagree, totally - I am using pi3s as development/ entertainment -- have you even t ried the the pi3 with mate? they're excellent
>>
>>55949666
you aspire to a crappy 9 year old dell dimension?
as a 'classic'? its JUNK
>>
>>55949719
>pi3s as development/ entertainment
and there they will stay

keep that shit out of production they are not going to sit there for 5 years happily im telling you
>>
>>55949754
ok I lost badly on the comparison p4 vs pi .. musta been the pi3 .. the pi3s are fast enough for anything I throw @ them .. made 1 headless .. they are spiffy. just a fan, that's all
mate > xubuntu -- first thing i've found
>>
>>55949358
>Dell Dimension 8300
That should have a northwood core
>>
>>55948194
was sort of disappointed never to have used the zip drive on it .. because when they came out, mid 90s zip drives seemed to be a very good thing .. drive was there -- never used it - never have seen a zip disk.. don't you find that there are whole things that you never used? zip disks -- missed that one. usb hub. musta used one of them for about 5 minutes
>>
File: image.jpg (130KB, 1178x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130KB, 1178x1000px
>>55948194
Similar question about this.

I know I can't make it HD, but I can upgrade to best 64bit cpu for it, ssd, maybe a cheapo-external gpu for minimal hd use. HTPC functionality perhaps.
>>
>>55949781
>Anonymous 08/06/16(Sat)13:16:49 No.55
then you literally dont use computers for anything other than trivial tasking, what do you want me to tell you? That they are great for something? no they are not, besides like industrial signage or an announcement player appliance ive seen no real world use, and those are not desktop tasks they were appliances built to show the same 12 images or 4 audio files all day

dont make it something its not. p4 is old garbage but the pi is just garbage. either are fine to learn on the pi is just around to be cheap for people who dont have family with expendable computers
>>
>>55948194
Turn one into a pfSense router/modem and turn one into a OwnCloud cloud server, and utilize the last one using Lubuntu.
>>
>>55950044
PF -yes
own -heh, ok
lubun - lol
>>
>>55948194
>figure I can use them somehow.

Yeah, you can use them to waste electricity.
>>
>>55949740
>waah stop liking what I don't like
>>
>>55949459
>its
It's
>>
File: image.png (324KB, 460x677px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
324KB, 460x677px
>>55950274
>its
>it
>if(
>if(
>if(
>>
>>55949703
You still haven't shown me any benchmarks or anything other than you saying that you think it's faster. Some people like messing with old compiters and not SBCs that can't even beat old netburst garbage in performance.

Post benchmarks or GTFO

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=raspberry-pi-burst&num=2
>>
>>55950324
>http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=raspberry-pi-burst&num=2

"The Pi 3 scores 525 points and the Pi 2 just 296, making the new version almost 1.8 times 'better'."

nearly twice as fast - which means that it will surpass the p4 on your published graph

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=raspberry-pi-burst&num=2

gtfo.
>>
>>55950551
forgot link:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/raspberry-pi-3-vs-pi-2
>>
>>55950551
The pi 3 was released in 2016 whereas the article that I posted was published in 2015. You still have no source.

GTFO
>>
>>55950600
the comparison is that the pi2 is marginally slower than the p4 , on your graphs

the pi3 = 1.8x faster than the pi2

ergo: pi3 far faster than p4 ..

gtfo. do you have to make me search for pi3 benchmarks .. it is faster than a p4 (the one in your article)

I am far too busy.
gtfo (get the f over it)
>>
>>55950565
I saw that link after the thread updated after posting. Look at these

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/2599374
https://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/2596704

It still can't beat a pentium 4, which is funny IMO considering netburst is shit. Still, some people like fucking around with old computers and you can get one of these for less than $60 or just for free. If you are getting an old p4 pc, it's probably for fucking around so just stop posting this "stop liking what I don't like bullshit".
>>
>>55950775
>https://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/2596704
they are almost the same, according to that test, on that specific processor

with the hardware advantage of the pi3, I think it is a win for the pi3 .. the video playback (HD) .. integrated wireless, bluetooth ..the size of the thing (matchbox) -- I know what I would chose over a junky old pc
>>
>>55949358
I went for a 32 bit version.

I get a few boot up lines, scrolling real fast, then it stops completely. Changing the boot parameters (apic, nolapic, etc) changes the result a little but still does not take me to the proper installation.

Anyways, for other uses you can add another networking card and install Smoothwall.
>>
>>55950837
Yes I'm not denying that they are similar but as I said: you are probably going doing it for "nostalgia" or just for fucking with it if you are getting an old PC and people usually get those from other people who are throwing them out. Their purposes are entirely different in this gear but the pi3 is probably more appropriate as a daily driver. A person would get a $60 pi3 for entirely different purposes so we have been comparing apples and oranges. Anyway, sorry for the semi shitposts.
>>
>>55950989
>going doing
Typing on a phone is pain
>>
>>55950989
pi3 board = $33 , last time I looked
is np.
>>
>>55949640
Chill senpai. I was just saying how I have fond memories of these old machines. Doesn't mean I'm gonna bend over backwards just to make one work these days. But if I had one I might retrofit it with modern parts just for giggles and retro aesthetic feels
>>
File: Screenshot_20160806-223018.png (190KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160806-223018.png
190KB, 1080x1920px
>>55951420
It seems like I saw the list price, I really shouln't post when I'm tired
>>
>>55949950
HHHNGGGGGGGGG MUH DICK
>>
>>55948194
Sleeper rig. Do it, faggot.
>>
>>55951584
>Dat ad
OK, so what is your browser history, anon? Cow tipping guides?

>>55951842
>Sleeper rig
I didn't know this term before but I have built one. It *had* to look like a wreck to make sure nobody would steal it. And it worked well. In our case the upgrades were just more RAM and more disks.
>>
>>55951614
I know I just can't throw it out tbqh
>>
Trade them for pc's with Athlon 64 x2s and don't kill yourself. Those cups can keep up with modern low end systems.
>>
>>55948194
Pentest lab man
>>
Download Artemis, get 3 more dells, then convert your room into a command bridge

All you need then is 5 friends who aren't retarded to run helm, comms, engineering, science, and weapons
>>
>>55950274
This is one thing that has always bothered me about English. All instances of "it's/its" should have an apostrophe. There is no reason to break syntax and remove the apostrophe from the possessive form of "it". There are no real instances where it would cause confusion, because the correct meaning is always apparent in the context.

But right now, if you use "it's" as possessive, people assume that you made a mistake.
>>
>>55948659
>They're P4 era machines
pentium 4 was introduced late 2000, PCI-E was introduced in 2004, there is indeed AGP pentium 4 machines
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.