[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain why the fuck you still don't know how to use vim.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 13

File: editor learning curves.jpg (26KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
editor learning curves.jpg
26KB, 600x400px
Explain why the fuck you still don't know how to use vim.
>>
>>55947170

I'm trying OP.

I've done the vimtutor like 5 times, but it's hard to git gud..
>>
>>55947200

Vimtutor means nothing if you don't actually use vim to edit things.
>>
Why should I use it instead of notepad++?
inb4: implying hjkl faster than mouse
>>
>>55947206

How do I start?

I've heard of nerdtree, is there anything else I need to actually get productive with vim?
>>
>>55947170
because I know Emacs
>>
>>55947230
>Why should I use it instead of notepad++?

If you don't work on linux I guess there is little point.

Unless you edit text A LOT and want to be as comfy as possible.

>hjkl faster than mouse
It is but not in a vacuum. Keyboard is always better than mouse, but only if you really utilize it. hjkl will not make you faster by itself, especially considering it's one of the least powerful normal mode commands.

>>55947235

>nerdtree
Eh, if that's what you are into, I guess. But what's much better are fuzzy searchers like Ctrl-P, FZF, or Unite.

>actually productive
Depend on what the fuck you are doing.

If you use git you need git plugins - fugitive and maybe Gitv.

If you write latex you might want something like LaTeX-Box or many others.

if you want completion you should go for something like neocomplete or deoplete or whatever youcompleteme.

If you write code you should just search for what will add what you need.
>>
>>55947170
I'm fairly happy with gedit.
>>
File: 7ef.jpg (29KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
7ef.jpg
29KB, 600x600px
>>55947230
Vim's power isn't hjkl, it's text objects.

Deleting Inside Braces: di}
Change Around Parenthesis:
ci)newtexthere

Change Surrounding Parenthesis to Quotes:
cs)"

Add Surrounding Braces to Until the character A: ysta}
Delete until the next matching pattern:
d/faggot<return>

And many more you can add with plugins.
>>
if nvi had visual mode it would be my favorite vi clone

that sounds like a good project to take on
>>
File: 1463001590338.jpg (26KB, 354x500px) Image search: [Google]
1463001590338.jpg
26KB, 354x500px
Just learned shift a is append yesterday.
>>
Is visual studio any good? especially if it's free?
>>
File: just right linux.png (28KB, 557x605px) Image search: [Google]
just right linux.png
28KB, 557x605px
>doing our daily agile meeting
>people are talking about how hard a ticket is to do because they have to scrounge the entire code
>while they're talking
:vimgrep /pattern/ our/project/**/*.js
:QFGrep constraint
qq:%s/pattern/newPattern/g
]qq999@q
>hey guys I'm done
>our member who doesn't even know how to use sublime properly is constantly butthurt about text editors
>he's getting let go after the end of this month and I'm getting a promotion, he doesn't know
>>
>>55948614

Oh god this hits too close to home.

So many times during groomings I've had to argue with people that consider "searching a lot of text files" incredibly complex.

Yes, fucking running ag with the right pattern is fucking complex you fucking retards.

Jesus christ I hate grooming with incompetent engineers.

Okay... deep breaths... this is my weekend....
>>
I don't want to use a Esc simulator
>>
>>55948858

What?
>>
Because it's [currentYear]

if i wanted to be a fat NEET who is a basement dweller at MIT I would use emacs over vim. vim is good for nothing except a last resort on a machine or vm without anything else
>>
>>55948804
I went with a simple example, but even decent to good engineers on my team have made the same mistake, only with something that can be done with macros instead of search and replace.
>>
>>55947170

I use vim at work, and nothing else. It's wonderful.
>>
>>55949167

Brofist.

When I watch other people edit code it's like I've put world on 0.25 speed or something. It's infuriating.

I'm also working on releasing a neovim distribution in our internal company packaging system to spread the goodness.
>>
>>55948897
Does emacs have vim's list system? I don't think I could live without that.
>>
>>55949183
neomake makes my editing a fucking dream
>>
I learned Emacs and never bothered learning Vi because it seemes stupid
>>
Because VS work out of the box.
>>
>>55947235
start by installing a plugin manager.
>>
>>55949437
It would be stupid for you to learn both, but that doesn't make it stupid to learn one instead of the other.
>>
>>55947235
Don't use nerdtree, use neovim-vifm and Ctrl-P
>>
>>55949497
Not really, I prefer Emacs but Vi's the one that shows up on pretty much every *nix system
>>
File: ffffff.png (1MB, 699x699px) Image search: [Google]
ffffff.png
1MB, 699x699px
>>55948804
>Jesus christ I hate grooming with incompetent engineers.
You tell me.
>on meeting for new project
>>and now, in this new project, everyone is gonna use git, I know most of you've never used it, but it's not that hard
>>so everyone please install smartgit
>not even a week and everyone is fucking mad because smartgit's magic breaks and they have no idea what they are doing
>>
>>55949591

Then setep up motherfucker.

Organize a git lecture/workshop for your coworkers. Lessen your rage at their incompetence and shine in the eyes of the managers.
>>
>>55949643

*step

I may be only slightly drunk.
>>
bc i use nano instead
>>
>>55947170
This picture implies that pico and notepad are tge hardest ones, and that when you turn on vim, you magically learn everything in an instant.
>>
File: renge_miyauchi_54361.jpg (32KB, 350x501px) Image search: [Google]
renge_miyauchi_54361.jpg
32KB, 350x501px
I just want a simple autocomplete that works ou of the box like in Sublime and Atom.
Is there something like this for vim?
>>
>>55949591
>everyone at my work uses gitkraken
>WHO WROTE THIS CODE? THIS MERGE IS HARD! WHAT BROKE THIS? WHAT'S RELATED TO THIS?
>show them how fugitive and gitv deal with that
>I-I don't have the time to learn all that!
>spend the rest of the day solving their easy problem
>>
>>55948614
don't use vi but now this is damn good reason to learn. thanks anon I'm still in school but had similar editing/grooming in group projects where i find the thing while they're talking about the difficulty of finding it
>>
>>55949643
Like any developer who doesn't have a strong enough interest to actually learn tools does anything but glaze over when someone competent shares an idea.

Maybe you could do one of those streamlined presentations that trendy circle jerk conferences have that are extremely shallow and make shitty developers feel good about themselves. The one with a terminal colorscheme and a text editor embedded right in the presentation. You could wear your company's official t-shirt and spend longer hyping up your ideas and telling stories than actually covering your material. They'd pick up maybe one command and never bother to actually dig deeper and use it properly.
>>
File: so_comfy.png (94KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
so_comfy.png
94KB, 1920x1080px
>>55949683

>me UK, me use stone to smash bug

I use the snuggly, warm, and overall comfy feeling that vim gives me to find and fix bugs.
>>
>>55949744
No problem. The plugins used were fugitive, qfgrep, and vim-unimpaired.
>>55949710
And half the time they don't even actually solve their problem.
>>
>>55949835
That's very true. My regular approach is to take problems to my lead developer so he can share things with the team. He's an incredibly liked people person who is good at teaching. They still don't bother to listen to him.
Being good at teaching things is not part of my job description.
Being able to teach yourself things is essential for any good developer.
>>
>>55947170

Too busy using spacemacs tb.h

>>55947235

:tabe to make tabs. bind a key to :tabnext and :tabprev, for instance leader + g/h
>>
>>55948858

>I'm incapable of rebinding a key.

Wow anon, I'm sad to hear that.
>>
>>55949908
HAH, no. Tabs are only for when you want to preserve a view. Using buffers properly is much more efficient.
>>55947235
http://vimcasts.org/
>>
>>55949707
Yes. Vim has ctrl+N for auto complete out of the box.
>>
>>55949707
neovim + deoplete
also vim has line completion (C-x, l)
>>
>>55949990

I dunno, I use buffers with spacemacs now, but I still feel the urge to go back to tabs. tabs become a clusterfuck with large source trees, but for when you have a few files I find the very useful
>>
>>55947170
cause I'm not a contrarian hipster faggot
>le I remember 100 shortcuts to do the most trivial tasks I'm such a skilled computer guy xD
>>
>>55950357
Don't feed the troll
>>
>>55950357

>I have le memorized 100 asinine buttons in eclips xD
>>
because I use nano
>>
>git checkout apparently has more than 4 uses
>use git checkout --force
>wipe out the entire commit history
>>
because I use Xcode
>>
>>55947170
>he actually has to fucking LEARN his editor
>LEARN HIS EDITOR
>LEARN
>EDITOR
do you know how absurd you sound?

If you grandfathered in your vi knowledge just use Sublime.
>terminal master race
Kill yourself faggot. Any significant edits that require vim can be done in a guide more efficiently and then transferred over.
>>
>>55950512
That have corresponding gui drop down menus
>>
>>55951867
Oh no, LEARNING?
>>
>>55951867
>Sublime
top kek
>>
>>55951896
And the key commands have corresponding mnemonics.
>>
>>55951899
Learning is only an argument when the knowledge is fucking useful.

You probably advocate medieval female studies too
>>
>>55951867
Confirmed for subhuman mouse-pleb. Enjoy being fired at age 40 and blaming "ageism," when in reality it's your total lack of competency at getting things done in a timely fashion because you spend over half your day hunting and pecking with your optical appendage.
>>
>>55951901
>top kek
>plebeian
>lololol

Jesus. There's a reason why people like you are unemployed.

>aktchually I work at Google inb4
>>
>>55951923
I'm a developer. I'll be editing text for 8 hours a day for the rest of my life. Learning an editor that is fucking build for refactoring and with incredibly git integration is useful.
>>
File: 1447978044712.jpg (26KB, 233x188px) Image search: [Google]
1447978044712.jpg
26KB, 233x188px
>>55951952
>he disagrees with me, clearly he's unemployed
>>
>>55948614
>unfit plebe ejected
>vim master promoted
Kek is a just god. May his blessings follow you all of your days anonkun.
>>
>>55947170
I don't "edit" fucking "text" daily so I won't benefit from it. No, a programmer doesn't need to spew a lot of text, fast. Maybe Indians do. Or if your language is a boilerplate hell, but you're better using an IDE in that case. Thinking is always the longest part.
>>
>>55951952
>le unemployment accusation
>defending sublime plebs
JUST
>>
>>55952000
>I have never worked in a team or on a deadline
>>
>>55947170
because emacs is better
>>
>>55951989
t. anon
>>
>>55947170
>2016
>still using a keyboard

Tragic, m'goodsir. I inform you that i edit my files phisically on the hard drive with the edgyness of my katana
*tip*
>>
>>55947170
I don't feel limited by my current editors and I go through *nix boxes pretty frequently (but inconsistently) so it doesn't feel justifiable to spend any time getting used to something I might not be using again for another month or two when what I have now is just fine and worked into muscle memory.
>>
I know how to use vim, but it is so inefficient compared to my previous editor, so I didn't switch it out as my primary.
I edit a lot of text files, so I don't want to use something that slows me down.
>>
>being mentally challenged
OP, you don't know how graphs work do you?
>>
>>55952450
Do you know how jokes work?
>>
Just keep using it. Hell yes, it's awkward as fuck at first, having to switch between modes, and getting used to navigating with hjkl and such, but after a while you start to get faster and faster...
>>
When I'm not using Emacs, I'm using mg. When I'm on a dumb terminal, I'm using ed. Fuck vim.
>>
I've started actually using vim at work and it's slowly sinking in. I'm finding myself using motion keys more and more as opposed to the arrow keys.
>>
File: image.jpg (233KB, 1536x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
233KB, 1536x1536px
>>55952463
>do you know how autism works?
>>
>>55952591

Duuuude.

Just w/W and b/B is enough to make you more comfy with just moving.

But really, what truly makes a difference in vim is always going back to normal mode.

Also, vim-hardtime were invented to limit your overuse of hjkl which is also a bit part of the battle.
>>
>>55947170
>Notepad: No learning needed
>Pico: A bit learning needed, get's a little harder at the end
>VS: Starts easy, gets hard a shit, then gets easier again.
>vi: hard as shit forever. you never learn it
>emacs: fuck this

Notepad wins

/trhread
>>
>>55952834
Don't blame the software for your incompetence.
>>
What about the benefits?

Everyones talking about whats easiest but why actually bother to learn some of the harder ones?
>>
>>55947170
>vim suddenly just jumps and stays there
that chart is retarded, the tweaking fucking never ever ends
>>
>>55947170
I'd rather learn a new language than learn how to use an ancient text editor. Vim's shortcuts also seem really stupid to me. 'w' to move forward a word makes sense, but why the fuck would 'b' go backward? Why not spread the keys out as much as possible?
>>
>>55950121
>auto complete
>Yes, just press a button
>auto
>>
Because I use vi instead.
>>
>>55952523
Why not just use nvi?
>>
>>55948309
I use it for work. It peaked in 2008. Versions 2012 and later were offshored and are unsalvageable buggy messes. It is better than eclipse but worse than idea.
>>
>>55947235
Fuck base vim for anything other than quick editing of config files, hop over to Emacs and install Spacemacs.
>>
>>55954168
>spreading the semacs cancer
Richard pls go.
>>
>>55949643
>Organize a git lecture/workshop for your coworkers
doesn't git have an online tutorial, fucktons of tutorials on how to do X in the internet and is actually easy to use ?
>>
>>55948614
This can easily be done in linux command line without vim? Your point is kinda moot b/c grep and sed
>>
>>55951442
/thread
>>
>>55954558
>is actually easy to use
git is only easy to use if you learn how it works, which is much too hard for the average web dev who doesn't even know about pointers.
>>
>>55947170
long time vim user here

Emacs is better. Make the switch. Don't be scared.
>>
>>55947170
because nano is better
>>
>>55949333
Look into Spacemacs, it's essentially Emacs made to act like Vim, but you still get to write your own plugins in a language that's not braindamaged
>>
>>55955829
Enjoying your slow as shit terminal emulator?
>>
File: DeviousYarn.png (316KB, 4817x2703px) Image search: [Google]
DeviousYarn.png
316KB, 4817x2703px
>>55947170
Because I'm not a retarded 13 year old who thinks text editors are a cool thing to argue about.

Learn to use a String Manipulation Oriented Language or a Line Editor, OP.

https://github.com/LandonPowell/DeviousYarn
>>
>>55949514
Sounds like bullshit. I know Emacs is default on basically everything. Even the locked down proprietary shitware that is MacOS.

Then again, they're both stupid and you should just learn Ed or Dy.
>>
>>55951867
>Sublime.
Vim is shitty and all, but are you really so dumb that you need a GUI to edit text? Just use a few devious yarn scripts for that, or load up Ed and get to work.
>>
>>55947170
Explain why I need this piece of shit in the first place.
>>
>>55957207
I personally need it to edit text 5 times faster than I did before. I don't give a fuck what you need it for.
>>
>>55949643
>is fired for being a hacker
>>
>>55953303
Does the auto-complete in sublime and atom not require you to press any keys?

>be sublime pro
>open sublime
>enable auto-complete by pressing no keys
>auto-completes entire program
memes, memes, memes
>>
>>55947170
they taught me in college but i forgot

i use atom
>>
>>55955829
>long time vim user here
>Emacs is better
Said no long time vim user, ever.
>>
>>55957088
>I know Emacs is default on basically everything.
Is this a joke or are you actually retarded?
>>
>>55949693
You're using learning curve diagrams the wrong way, it's actually cumulative difficulty required as a function of the proficiency desired
>>
>>55947170
>why the fuck you still don't know how to use vim
because it's the 21st century

if i need to edit a config file in a terminal session i use nano

if i'm changing sudo permissions it's visudo obv

if i need to do actual text editing i'm running gedit or similar in a gui what are you going to do about it that's right fucking nothing you teary eyed onahole purchaser

> but muh do everything in a text editor it's so elegunt
i'd say get fucked but we both know that's not happening mate
>>
>>55958355
I'd love to see you try my job in gedit.
>>
>>55948614
> sublime
> atom

the only faggots worse than console text editor faggots

> I HAVE TO BE ABLE TO DO EVERYTHING FROM READ MY MAIL TO REGEX THE MEANING OF LOVE IN ONE PROGRAM OR I'LL DIE
>>
>>55949707
>a simple autocomplete that works ou of the box like in Sublime and Atom.
you mean, like shit?
dreamweaver's more of an IDE when it comes to autocomplete because it at least knows the language's syntax down to the point that it suggests the next keyword as soon as you type a delimiter

any faggot can write a lexer that first-letter matches like fucking google search
>>
I use emacs + evil
>>
>>55957047
lmao what's up xultra
ty for the email last week
>>
>>55958361
I'd love to see screencasts of whatever it is that requires you to type faster than God just to get your fucking job done
>>
>>55947170
I do know how to use Vim, but honestly if I'm not using a scripting language I rather just use an IDE and put vim controls on it.

Don't get me wrong there's some good vim plugins that also pretty much turn it into the equivalent of an IDE, however at that point it just slows down the experience and you lose the whole purpose of vim in the first place.
>>
>>55947170
I was forced into learning it because some things wouldn't let me run/install nano
>>
>>55948309
Best IDE to use and only seems to get better with each new version. With that said there are a few bugs you'll encounter however I've experience even worse bugs in other IDEs so I'll give it a pass. Good alternatives is Idea.
>>
>>55958515
> you have to use linux
> you're not allowed to install software

I hope you've gone back and forced hot steaming shit down those peoples' throats
>>
>>55953979
maybe he hates modal editing, hence why he would use mg

it's a weird choice though since finding a good portable version is so hard
>>
>>55958515
Is it wrong that I find nano harder to use than vim?
>>
TIKKATIKKATIKKATIKKATIKKATIKKATIKKATIKKATIKKATIKKATIKKATIKKATIKKATIKKATIKKATIKKATIKKATIKKATIKKATIKKATIKKATIKKA

MUH TIKKATIKKA > YOUR TIKKATIKKA
>>
File: brackets.gif (199KB, 1018x853px) Image search: [Google]
brackets.gif
199KB, 1018x853px
I know how to use it
but I never bother get accustom to it

I also see no reason why I should aim for mastering vim
why spend hundreds of hours rewiring how I write?
what tangible benefits does it bring over the likes of sublime text?

http://blog.andrewray.me/just-use-sublime-text/
>>
>>55958278
Are you retarded? Autocompletion starts up without you having to press a key. If you need to press a key to start it, it's called completion, like tab completion in bash.
>>
>>55958734
Don't worry; the fact that you use a variable-width font for programming is a clear sign that blood stopped flowing to your brain years ago.
>>
>>55959867
> MOMMY HE TRIGGERED MY AUTISM BY DOING THING I DON'T DO

I don't use variable-width fonts for coding either but grow the fuck up mate
>>
>>55949707
YouCompleteMe is nice.
>>
>>55947170
Because I have no need for a text editor with capabilities that go beyond what nano offers.
>>
File: autism.png (195KB, 985x485px) Image search: [Google]
autism.png
195KB, 985x485px
>>55947170
It's not the 80s anymore.
>>
>>55960441
>I install xorg and a graphical text editor on my server just to edit a config file because it's 2016!
>>
>>55960489
What do you need a server for anyway?
>>
Because fuck Uganda.
>>
>>55958734
>I also see no reason why I should aim for mastering vim

Well that's not surprising. If you don't really know how powerful a tool is you wouldn't see a benefit in learning it.

>why spend hundreds of hours rewiring how I write?

Well, you have to answer that question yourself. Do you want to learn a new thing betting on the chance that it will make your life easier or better or do you just get stuck in your old ways and will use ST till the end of time?

I've used vim, I've used emacs, I've used ST for a while, I've used Visual Studio and many others. And so far I've always come back to Vim(NeoVim specifically).

>what tangible benefits does it bring over the likes of sublime text?

Depends on what you do and how much effort you want to put into learning it and customizing it to your needs.

The main thing that anyone using vim heavily will tell you if you ask them why they use it is that they are comfy as fuck.

Once you get your setup to a certain level of comfiness you really don't think about editing text anymore. There is no layer between you and the code, you are just there in the moment, changing the logic of whatever you are editing.

But like any powerful and customizable tool it requires up-front investment, and if that is not for you then please do go ahead and stick to ST.
>>
>>55960551

Then use NeoVim.
>>
>>55960524
HYUK, I don't know, maybe anything that involves web access?
>>
>>55947170
because its 30 years old, horrible & puts your fingers in a knot .. and it's the real of the real offensive neckbeards (people who also speak klingon, for some unknown reason)
>>
>>55962157
>tips baseball cap
hell yeah bro!
>>
>>55962157
>puts your fingers in a knot

You are thinking about emacs which overuses modifier keys like ctrl or alt.

The only modifier used a lot in vim is shift, and not that much too. Most important normal mode commands I use are lower case or a combination of two lower case characters.

For example most of my custom bindings use <space> as a leader so I do <space> + <some_letter>. Sometimes two letters.

Example:
nnoremap <space>ga :Git add -- "%:p"<CR><CR>
nnoremap <space>gs :Gstatus<CR>
nnoremap <space>gc :Gcommit -v -q<CR>
nnoremap <space>gt :Gcommit -v -q -- "%:p"<CR>
nnoremap <space>gC :Gcommit -v -q --amend<CR>
nnoremap <space>gT :Gcommit -v -q --amend -- "%:p"<CR>
nnoremap <space>gd :Gvdiff<CR>
nnoremap <space>ge :Gedit<CR>
nnoremap <space>gr :Gread<CR>
nnoremap <space>gu :Git reset "%:p"<CR><CR>
nnoremap <space>gw :Gwrite<CR><CR>
nnoremap <space>gl :silent! Glog<CR>:bot copen<CR>
nnoremap <space>gp :Ggrep<Space>
nnoremap <space>gm :Gmove<Space>
nnoremap <space>gB :Gblame<CR>
nnoremap <space>go :Git checkout<Space>
nnoremap <space>gf :Dispatch! git fetch --all<CR>
nnoremap <space>gps :Dispatch! git push<CR>
nnoremap <space>gpl :Dispatch! git pull<CR>
>>
>>55947170
because i dont care, and i dont care about emacs either, i think nedit is a good text editor, and for text mode (commandline) nano is plenty good
>>
Ask a sysadmin that has been using vim as his main tool of trade for almost 10 years anything.
>>
>>55962982
What did you do once you were pretty much done your set up and could no longer enjoy the pleasures of customization?
>>
>>55963012

It never stops man.

I do have a pretty much perfect setup, but then I change jobs and the customization starts all over again because my new employers uses - for example - predominantly python and ansible while my previous one used mostly ruby and chef.

My current employer for example is pretty darn big and has their own system for testing, building, and deploying any and all code in the company. And there is no way to develop directly on your laptop/desktop. Your dev machines are always VMs/containers and you have to ssh into them. This setup alone required a fair bit of customization from me.

Also, I still meet people that know tricks that I've never heard about and I incorporate new things into my setup from time to time.

Also, the final stage of comfiness is when you start developing your own plugins. I'm almost there, through I do find VimScript painful and have a lot of hope for what NeoVim is doing with it's interfaces for lua and such using msgpack.
>>
>>55958676
I wonder why. Modal editing is better for my hands: regardless of the position of the control button, modeless editing physically hurts my hands.
>>
>>55963179

Agreed. I can see my friends stretching their hands like mad from time to time when coding while I just get into The Zone and type for 4 hours straight without stopping till it's lunch time and I notice I'm hungry.

Though on the other hand using a mouse with very high sensitivity makes my wrists sore and require stretching.

I should just stop playing CS:GO...
>>
>>55963145
I do actually have my own plugins, just need to learn vimscript a little better.
>>
>>55947170
nano does everything I need a cli text editor to do, that is, few changes here to there to config files. I don't don't really do much text editing besides that.
>>
>>55963319

Fair enough.

Vim and other Vi clones are not for people who do not edit text as part of their daily life.
>>
>>55947170
Because I learned emacs first.

Why the fuck don't you know how to use emacs vitard?
>>
>>55963372

I actually do.

One of the best programmers I've ever met was an emacs user and while I worked with him I tried using emacs for a while and I learned a fair but.

In the end I still came back to vim, but I didn't hate it.

Maybe if I was a developer and not a sysadmin I would use emacs.
>>
>>55963396
I use a sort of Emacs clone when I program in Scheme, it's interesting. I definitely prefer vi for C, though.
>>
>>55963533
>I definitely prefer vi for C, though.
why?
>>
>>55963545
Modal editing.
>>
I'm also a sysadmin and think vi(1) is usually a better choice for the situations we may find ourselves in. It's a reliable common denominator across many operating systems and has a very small footprint.

In fact, it's better still to know ed(1) in SHTF situations where terminfo/termcap is broken.

Of course, system administration varies as an organizational role; some guys do a lot more development, others quite a bit less in exchange for network administration, DBA, storage administration, etc.
Thread posts: 153
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.