[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Multiboot formatting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (3KB, 166x90px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3KB, 166x90px
I just got a laptop with a 160GB SSD and 500GB HDD, and I'm planning to have a multiboot system like so:

Linux Mint as main OS
tuxtrans whenever I need to work
Windows 7 for vidya and for other people who might not be used to anything not Windows

How should I partition & format them? I've also heard about moving programs/disable paging/etc. to the HDD to prevent damaging the SSD. Should I do it or it's not worth the hassle?
>>
>>55939796
Google, you fucking retard
>>
>>55939849
I know how to fucking format, what I'm asking is how SHOULD I do it, as in what's the best partition scheme for such system.
>>
>>55939880
3 small physical partitions, one for windows bootloader, one for GRUB, the other for other shit that might come up, one last extended partition with logical partitions containing all the actual OSes plus a big partition for sharing files between OSes
>>
Install win 7 first then mint second you can change the booting order later to put mint as your main. If you have trouble get rescuetux(burn it or whatever) and boot and make the needed partitions.
>>
>>55939976
So my disks should look like this:

SSD:
100mb primary for bootloader
100mb primary for GRUB
100mb primary just in case
30GB logical each for OSes
8GB for /swap

HDD:
100GB for /home
The rest is for data

Is there any advantage to use different file systems on 1 disk (i.e ext4 for linux-only partitions, NTFS for the others) or should I just do everything in NTFS.

What I'm aiming for is to not burn out my SSD too quickly, as well as some efficiency in file systems and such.
>>
>>55940199
>100mb primary for bootloader
>100mb primary for GRUB
>100mb primary just in case
retarded
30mb primary for XOSL or whatever bootloader that can chainload other loaders
whatever the recommended minimum for system partitions; bootloader for each os on their own system partition
also win7 can shit itself after some time if you don't give it 35-40gb
and if you're formatting with gparted, align to Cylinder, not MiB. works better with windows that way
>>
>>55940199
no real reason to have a huge /home partition if you have a large, os agnostic partition dedicated to personal data storage anyway.

>>55940302
Why chainload a bootloader for each OS when you can just update-grub and have a bootloader for all your random oses and chainload a windows loader for all your random windoze versions? Seems simpler.

Also can you point me to some resources on XOSL? I've looked it up and can't really see a reason to use it over GRUB, especially given the ongoing development, community and support for GRUB. That and all the discussions about XOSL versus anything else seem to devolve into neckbeards insulting each other.
>>
>>55940675
>Why chainload a bootloader for each OS when you can just update-grub and have a bootloader for all your random oses and chainload a windows loader for all your random windoze versions? Seems simpler.
no dependencies between different OSes
more consistency in loading process (every OS is loaded in same steps: 1. 'main' loader, 2. os' own loader)
easier to move or replace an OS partition to another environment when everything related to it is on a single partition

you could probably use GRUB or plop instead of XOSL. I use XOSL on my secondary PC because it can boot to anything I've tried (DOS, Windblows [98se/2k/xp/7]- even on Logical Extended partitions, also Loonix); and is super easy and fast to set up, including hiding other partitions from each OS. only thing that's missing for me is a boot from USB option, but I've got a floppy with plop for that

also a pretty good source
http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/
>>
File: MultiTrackDrifting.jpg (60KB, 500x361px) Image search: [Google]
MultiTrackDrifting.jpg
60KB, 500x361px
Multiboot Formatting!
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.