[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TV as a monitor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

Hello,
what is your opinion on using 4k TV as a monitor?
Has anyone tried it?
It looks to me, that you can get a really great deal considering the price per area per pixels. Maybe there are some nuances?
>>
>>55937032

TVs generally have lower refresh rates, which is why they tend to be cheaper despite having bigger screens.

Which for general computing may be good enough.
>>
you have to sit far away depending on how big tv is
most tvs have significantly worse input latency than monitors
you'll probably be stuck to 4k at 60hz
everything will look tiny unless the tv is huge but then you're back to problem 1
if the tv is huge your pixel density will be no better than a 1080p monitor
you wont be able to mount it on a traditional desk arm and there could be issues with getting the viewing angle right

you will have tons of screen real estate and a lot of tvs use va panels which imo look way better than tn or ips
>>
File: 1459667272182.jpg (125KB, 962x642px) Image search: [Google]
1459667272182.jpg
125KB, 962x642px
>>55937054
Don't forget that some places has Television licensing and you have to pay a fee to own a TV.
But there is also the "If you're seen with a TV" act.
So you could just skip that fee by hiding that TV like a farmer hiding his moonshine.
>>
>>55937054
look at you, talking out of your ass again.
TVs pretty much all use 60Hz, just like any fucking monitor.

Main problem will be size. YMake sure not to get one huge. Second off, make sure it has the hookups. Your tv needs to have HDMI 2.0, and your graphics card needs to support HDMI 2.0.

lastly, you will likely have to configure some settings to get clean video (on my Samsung TV you have to change the name of the input to "PC" and it automatically bypasses all of the video enhancing bullshit and uses it like a regular monitor.

Don't cheap out here. Your tv should be able to do 4k at 60 Hz with 4:4:4.
>>
Cheap Seiki 4k TV has AWFUL input latency. Can't use an xbox with it so put it that way (the lag from controller input to what you see on screen makes it unplayable.)

So if you're going to do this, then do not go cheap with the 4k TV. If its too cheap to be true, it has issues.

I use mine as TV though an its OK.

Probably better off with a nice proper 1400p PC monitor.
>>
>>55937178
If you can reasonably prove you're not using it to view broadcast TV, then you can't really get got. Just don't plug the aerial in.
>>
>>55937032

My monitor is a Samsung 43" 4k

You might need to set the refresh rate to 59hz
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.