[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RAMdisk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: RamDISK_Front[1].jpg (94KB, 417x275px) Image search: [Google]
RamDISK_Front[1].jpg
94KB, 417x275px
Hey /g/ I was curious if anyone here has ever made a RAM disk with their system memory. Was thinking about doing it for temp files and browser cache and the like but keep reading things for and against about it. Also have a Sammy 840 120GB SSD for my OS and thought it would help with writes etc.
>>
What kind of file access do you need that a ssd/hdd don't suffice?
>>
>>55928551
Modern SSDs are so fast that there are hardly any programs on the consumer or even prosumer front that can make use of that speed, never mind RAM-level speeds.
It's a much better use of money to just get a bigger/faster SSD than what you have, or even an NVME m.2 based one.
>>
>>55928592
Sorry I should have clarified more that I was thinking about making one out of the system memory (have 16GB) with a software utility or something, not buying an actual PCIe one or anything.
>>
>>55928551
Yes I compile everything in ram so that my ssd doesn't get all the write cycles.
You can put browser cache there too
>>
>>55928551
I have do it sometimes in wangblows for gaymez. symbolic links can be useful if you want to move programs to a ramdrive without installing. Imdisk is good for doing it in windows (open source too).

You can do it in linux without any additional programs though I have done it only once. IIRC, you can make a ramdisk persist after reboots by editing fstab.
>>
>>55928551
yes.
I use about 3GB of my ram as a ramdisk. I put windows tmp/temp directory on it. basically any program that uses cache(which doesn't exceed 3gb) is put on my ramdisk.
>>
>>55928904
Ah that's a good idea, thanks!

>>55928935
Thanks for your input, would you recommend any other programs other then Imdisk (looking into it now). I would probably need to make it a persistent drive with certain folders so the programs know where to go I guess, and then just have it reset back to empty folders (or load a snap shot image) every reboot. Currently using Wangblows as you said lol.

>>55928961
What sort of programs do you use that would do that? Photoshop? What utilities/processes would you recommend?

Thanks for your info everyone really appreciate it!
>>
Oh might seem a dopey question I guess but what about Windows pagefile? Should I leave that as is, move it onto a RAMdisk or turn it off completely?
>>
>>55929126
No problem. I haven't heard of any other ramdrive program for wangblows but imdisk can save the contents as an image file while removing a ramdrive so that you can mount the said file to another ramdisk. Imdisk also has a command line interface so I guess you could set it up to automatically save the contents of present ramdrives upon a shutdown/reboot.

>>55929149
Just disable the pagefile altogether if you want your system to utizile as much as ram as possible. AFAIK wangblows moves data, which is stored in the ram and hasn't been accessed for a while and saves it into a disk. You would just cause the system to inefficiently move data from ram to ram by moving the pagefle to a ramdrive.
>>
>>55929246
Ah yep that is true and a fair point about the page file.

I'll have a look around for a few tutorials for Imdisk and some more info.

Thanks!
>>
>>55929717
you're welcome
>>
>>55928551
I have one. Just put cache of all your programs there, windows temp folders and the page file.

Reduces strain on the SSD and it cleans up everything after a restart, so you don't have to worry about temp file bloat ever again.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.