[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone ever written a GUI in Hasklel? Is it even possible?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: haskell.png (12KB, 225x321px) Image search: [Google]
haskell.png
12KB, 225x321px
Has anyone ever written a GUI in Hasklel? Is it even possible?
>>
>>55917449
Yes
Yes

If you're interested in learning about Haskell, there are better places to do that than /g/

Start with https://www.seas.upenn.edu/%7Ecis194/spring13/lectures.html
>>
Isn't there an entire window manager that runs on haskell?
>>
>>55917449
yes
https://wiki.haskell.org/Haskell_in_practice
>>
>>55917476
Yes. XMonad.
And it's awesome (not Awesome).
>>
>>55917449
https://hackage.haskell.org/packages/#cat:GUI
>>
Haskell is a complete joke when it comes to practicality. The developer tool stack sucks, the defacto standard compiler is grindingly slow and horribly badly written and virtually impossible to build much less develop, the REPL is a toy, the libraries are atrocious and the community consists almost entirely of smug weenies.

In contrast, the OCaml community are quieter because they spend their time solving real problems and shipping production code rather than publishing research papers about The Sieve of Eratosthenes (see Page on hmc.edu). Oh, and they're honest.

OCaml has had very solid support for concurrency for over 15 years now. In fact, 15 years ago the heavily concurrent MLDonkey peer-to-peer file sharing client had hundreds of thousands of users (that's probably more users than all Haskell programs ever written combined). No similar success story exists for Haskell.

Haskell has a huge number of very poor quality libraries. OCaml has far fewer but much higher quality libraries. If you want linear algebra then OCaml has lacaml. If you want fourier transforms then OCaml has FFTW. Incidentally, FFTW provides the fourier transform routines used in MATLAB which has millions of users and it is written in OCaml. No similar success story exists for Haskell. OCaml is vastly superior when it comes to parsing, with many extremely high quality parser generators available mostly along the lines of standard industrial tools like lex and yacc (ocamllex, ocamlyacc, menhir, dypgen, camlp4). I'm not sure Haskell has any such tools and most developers use a quirky parser combinator library called Parsec that is quite simply shit. To give you some idea, I wrote a Mathematica parser using lex and yacc in OCaml and Wolfram Research bought it. I tried to write the same parser using Parsec and found it to be a nightmare in comparison and nobody is going to pay for that.
>>
>>55917569
>ocamlyacc
One things is for sure, OCaml faggots suck at naming things
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.