[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Time/Tax Dilemma

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (1MB, 2704x2089px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2704x2089px
So here is a legitimate question, and I know it irks everyone when GPU/PC build shit pops up but I just want to pick your brains with this conflict I'm dealing with.

I'm finally upgrading after years of 15-20 FPS purgatory on a shitty rig. I do a lot, image and video processing to intensive gaming (Heavily modded Arma 3 and hopefully soon meme VR). It can't be done on this current build.

I've allocated about 1.5 to 2k GBP for this new build as I spend a lot of my personal and business time at the desk.

Anyway I've got a deadline to order the parts by and it's before the end of August so I can get my VAT back.

I've been sitting on my hands waiting for the new Nvidia 10XX line to plod along to maturity, eventually until reaching similar Ti status.

I've looked at the selection of 1080s now and it's in the stage of 'going full retard' if purchased. They are already overpriced and that's before supply and demand also adds on top.

I'm also of the opinion that throwing that kind of money at what the 1080 is providing now is unacceptable. I've no intentions of ever SLI'ing again so more reason to wait for the final stages of the series to produce the result we expect it to, a Ti.

So having considered that I need something by the end of the month I don't have any time left to wait. That's where my current dilemma is.

Am I better of getting a 980 Ti, which is by now reasonably priced, or something from the infant stages of the 10XX series?

It seems the 1060 GTX handles less performance wise than the 980 Ti, I'm not concerned with power efficiency or temps, just how much I can get out of it application wise. As I said the 1080 GTX is something I can afford but on principle don't want to endorse, and when the new cards eventually come along it will sting me.
>Cont.
>>
I don't believe in 'pay the most = the best' but as someone who is guilty of wanting the most out of games with everything on max at 1440p, I'm always going to want the new card. Tactful purchasing has always been the best solution for me, I don't trade cards up or down, I buy the best of the series and stick with it for a few years until the next 'breakthrough'.

I was of that opinion and about to get a 980 Ti but as I waited for prices to dip the 10XX series came out and fucked my shit up.

I apologise for the wall of text, hopefully you can see where I am coming from. If not
>TL;DR
Need So here is a legitimate question, and I know it irks /g/eeks when GPU/PC build shit pops up but I just want to pick your brains with this conflict I'm dealing with.

Thanks in advance.
>>
File: image.jpg (270KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
270KB, 2048x1536px
Shameful Bump.
>>
File: image.jpg (903KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
903KB, 2592x1936px
And another one.
>>
Too long, didn't read lol
Install gentoo
>>
>>55916842
>I have money, I use my PC for a lot of things.
>1080 seems like too much for so little
>1060 seems UNDER PERFORMING
>can't wait forever because VAT thing?

If you are so indecisive yourself, why not 1070. At least in my country the price difference is HUGE compared to 1080 and it is good.
>>
>>55918389

Thanks for your input.
>>
Go to the dentist instead limeyfriendo.
>>
>>55919229

I know what you mean, it's just that once I have this card in a year or so the Ti or equivalent will come out.

I'd like to save money and get a card I won't be too upset over, hence the 980 Ti but is it going to give me everything I need?

I'm open to 1060 if it's cheaper but it doesn't appear so.

I may be answering my own question here, but I still value the input of everyone here. Even if it is 90% shit posting.
>>
>>55919313
You know what? Go watch some news. You may as well die tomorrow in car accident because some drunken idiot didn't manage to drive in straight line.

And it is well known that year after year companies will release stuff, which is "slightly" better than current one. THAT IS THEIR BUSINESS MODEL. Nvidia can't release card which will be 20x performance than last year if they don't have already models which will be able to compete in the next generation.

Buy your 1080 with 3 years warranty and forget about it. Just make yourself favor and don't buy old generation or weak cards when you can go full in.

Still the 1070 is for people who are reluctant to go full in (like you).
>>
>>55919460
This is good advice. Get the 1080.
>>
>>55919460

Thanks for the straight talk, you are right of course.

It's just a bitter pill to swallow knowing the 10XXs are still young and we all have the end of the line to look forward to.

If the 1080 GTX wasn't so overpriced due to multiple factors it would be easier to deal with.

Considering that when the Ti comes along it will probably cost the same as I paid for the 1080.
>>
>>55919492
Not him but any word on 1050?
>>
have fun with linux and your 10xx

>le I don't care faec
maybe you will in the future
>>
>>55916872
>>
Get a 1070, best card for the price I think.
As far as CPU I think you will be good with a i7 6700k or i5 6600k, depends on how much does 4 extra threads will benefit you.
>>
iirc the 980ti has 50% more ROPs and 50% more CUDA cores than the 1070. The 1080 has slightly more CUDA cores than the 980ti but still the 980ti has 50% more ROPs. In effect, an overclocked ti would probably outperform both the 1080 and 1070 in terms of video/image rendering/processing.
>>
And get a 5820k.

Power bill ain't gonna be pretty with an overclocked ti but it'll still be a <600W build p much. Get an 850W psu though.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.