[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Microsoft killed off MSN in favor of skype? A service

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: MSN-Messenger.jpg (36KB, 577x577px) Image search: [Google]
MSN-Messenger.jpg
36KB, 577x577px
Why did Microsoft killed off MSN in favor of skype? A service that is objectively worst when it comes to text based conversations, when MSN was already fully capable of doing voice and video chatting.

Where they porpusely trying to push people to voice chat? They've never bothered improving the shitty and basic text chat on Skype, and honestly there aren't many if any text services that come close to how good MSN was, or how many features and costumization it had, or how popular it was and still would be if it was possible to use it without patching, which still leaves it being a buggy as fuck piece of shit.
>>
i dunno either, msn could've been such a game changer for microsoft but they ditched it for some reason. maybe they just don't want to make more money?
>>
>>55905770
because of "muh material" shit. msn was much better but fuck wincucks. they never did anything right after 2005.
>>
http://readwrite.com/2012/05/28/why-microsoft-killed-windows-live/
>>
>>55905770
Because the number of daily users was tanking in comparison to Skype and social media. Since Facebook had its own text messenger and Skype could import Facebook friends as contacts, Microsoft had no further chance with MSN Messenger.
>>
Microsoft really hates money
>>
Hmm let's see here

>Equal quality text chat
>Far superior voice chat
>Far superior video chat
>Not associated with teens showing each other their little ding dongs

I wonder why?
>>
File: 1437778208212.jpg (24KB, 336x340px) Image search: [Google]
1437778208212.jpg
24KB, 336x340px
>>55909484
>Equal quality text chat
>>
>>55909484
>Equal quality text chat
This site requires you to at least be 18 years old or older. Please go to disney.com now.
>>
Facebook killed text messengers. ICQ/AIM/MSN/whatever succeeded in their time by having most of your friends use one or the others. For brief times they would overlap in popularity (in the order listed, in my experience), but eventually one would supplant the other.

Once everyone bought into facebook, whose core principle is to connect you with all your friends, it was a no brainer that people would rather chat within that same platform. Microsoft can't compete with that, and would be retarded to even try.

Why continue to devote resources to a dying messaging app whose brand, Windows Live, had become deprecated in favour of UWP bullshit?
>>
>>55907578
That article can be resumed as "we don't like the name" MSN already required you to create a Microsoft account, hell, my current main MS account was created back then specifically to use it.

And besides, that's all fine and good, I don't care if they needed to rebrand, I don't even really care that they made us switch service, but they never even bothered trying to improve Skype in the area of text based chat, it's basically the same now as it was 4 years ago, besides their voice chat, I haven't used it a lot, but the times I have it's been a very shitty experience and from what I know they are also lacking in this area.

>>55909968
I might be lacking the numbers to back my claims, and you are probably right, but idk man, back when Microft forced people out of MSN I still had a pretty big list of people using it daily, and even to this day, since you can chat with the same contacts trough the Microsoft site and it will show you as online for anyone who happens to be using the patched MSN program, and I still see 1 or 2 people connected here and there. Hell, MSN seems to work trough the same backbone Skype uses today, so if they already are keeping up the infraestructure to keep the program usable, why the fuck do they just not let us use it without jumping trough enough hoops to deter the casual user?
>>
>>55909484

>Equal quality text chat
>Far superior voice chat
>Far superior video chat
>Not associated with teens showing each other their little ding dongs

Wow you missed every single point you made.
>>
>>55910408
Skype actually was all those things before microsoft took over and ruined it
>>
>>55910419
Never used it until I was forced to, how did MS ruined Skype?
>>
>>55910437
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype#Security_and_privacy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype_security
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype_protocol

tl;dr microsoft changed a secure end-to-end messenger into a NSA friendly program.
>>
Can someone explain why msn still logs in with the reviver? its crazy shit i can even chat with someone else how did microsoft not shut down the servers after all these years?
>>
>>55911370
It did not occurred to me, but i'm not suprised...Just dissapointed really, the worst part is that it's hard to get (normie) friends to move from their comfort softwares into different services.

>>55911400
Probably sharing servers with Skype I imagine, skype messages reach MSN and viceversa, a bot I had in MSN for shits and giggles still sends messages to me when I log into Skype. If you send a message from the web browser the same happens. You'll see it in both clients.
>>
I miss the days when the internet was the wild west and you could do whatever the fuck you wanted without worrying about a goverment employee knowing about it.

This last couple of years have been hell in that regard.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.