[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux wtf?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1462913190781.jpg (17KB, 500x336px) Image search: [Google]
1462913190781.jpg
17KB, 500x336px
> Install Debian + LXDE
> Switch to testing, apt-get update && dist-upgrade
> Upgrade breaks dpkg, apt, system

> Download Mint Cinnamon
> Would download, since for some reason all servers stuck at 800mb, and the official tracker is shit
> Finally download it, install
> Update pops up, "configure updates"
> Can't see how I could get through that fucking screen
> Use ALT+Mouse... the button was just down OUTSIDE of screen. 10/10 UI.
> Update packages, "ONLY STABLE BEST PACKAGES"...
> Reboot
> SSD RAID now does something at 140MB/s constantly for 10 minutes before I kill it

Fuck me but how comes that 5-8 years ago "it just worked"?
You could install Ubuntu, it fucking worked.
You had Debian sid, and it was OK, no issues.
Even Mint was not so shitty a few versions back.

What the fuck is happening?
I thought the entire Linux ecosystem will get better since Valve picked it up, got a bit more popular, and so on. But so far I only seen a degradation in quality.
>>
Werks on my machineā„¢
>>
>>55896107
Mint is less of a Ubuntu clone than it was few years back and that's the problem because mint devs are incompetent as fuck. Debian testing and unstable were always hacks that could work or could break at any time, nothing new really.
Ubuntu went to shit due to the fact that they keep clear deadlines. Now they push new versions out regardless of whether everything is ready or not. That's why we get stuck with LTS versions that are fucking broken day 1.
Install Arch or Gentoo and call it a day.
>>
>>55896163
I used Debian sid for two years, mixed with experimental and that shit never broke. Same for Testing.

(I think Debian quality went down after Jessie's beta release or something like that. I remember the install getting fucked, testing becoming a mess and such back then.)

Mint? Well, years ago it just werked.
I can't even imagine what the fuck they did, what can cause two SSDs to work for minutes straight at ~140+ MB/s?
On a fresh install, nevertheless.
>>
>>55896163
Btw I don't know how Arch is today, when I actively used it (it had it's own KDE3 version, it was fucking neato), updates broke my system around 4-5 times.

The updates rendered it unusable, one time they somehow managed to push out an update that literally replaced half my system with amd64 libs instead of i386 (that I had). It was a major fuckup.

Gentoo, yeah, not that bad, but I am on a laptop. Are you using Overlays probably, or is there a good way to binary install things (like pkg on BSD)?
>>
>>55896223
I used testing for a good few years too myself and had no problems as well. But I know for a fact that some people had problems with sid breaking and it's not really all that uncommon.
Either way it doesn't change a fact that testing and unstable were never really supported and meant to be used by end user. Similarly majority of Arch users hardly ever experience any breakages, yet Arch is not considered a stable distro and breakages are expected.

Anyway the biggest culprit are release cycles. The fact that open sores community is forced by it's users to meet deadlines instead of getting product ready for use is what fucked up majority of distros. This is also why I only use rolling release now.
>>
sounds like some profiling shit

anyway stick with oldstable for an uneventful experience
>>
>>55896247
Nah, I don't use Gentoo myself for same reason. I tried switching to Funtoo once, compile times were killing me. Nope. Good for people with hardware that can handle it though.
Arch is pretty stable at the moment but there is always possibility of it breaking at any time due to fuck up, so yeah. Backups or/and avoid using on production machine.
>>
>>55896145
>Werks on my machineā„¢
Seconded.

Don't care about OP's machine.
>>
>>55896107
Debian testing is not for people who can't fix their shit
mint is a joke you should not be using because there is literally no reason except joining the hivemind
Stick with ubuntu, it works out of the box and it's a perfectly fine distro
>>
>>55896107
>> Switch to testing, apt-get update && dist-upgrade
and thats where you've fucked up. why didn't you just install from the fucking testing image ? upgrading from stable to testing or unstable can always break something because API, ABI and software changes.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.