[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /g/ I just started a new job and need to learn python fast.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Python-logo.png (76KB, 1890x800px) Image search: [Google]
Python-logo.png
76KB, 1890x800px
Sup /g/
I just started a new job and need to learn python fast. I have lots of industry experience with C++/Java/MySQL. I also know OCaml.

Can /g/ recommend some good resources for an experienced programmer to pickup python?
>>
python.org
>>
>>>/hm/
>>
>>55891454
Just curious but did you lie about knowing python? Or were you honest, but they were willing to give you a chance to learn?
>>
>>55891544
rtfm
seriously, aren't you experienced? shouldn't you be able to read the documentation and get enough information from that? if you can't then idk what to tell you. maybe you are in the wrong profession.
>>
Pretty sure you could just read the syntax of python online somewhere
>>
All my m8 from Reddit have read learn python the hard way you should really check it out!
>>
>>55891454
learn x in y minutes .com or whatever it is (google it) it a life saver. Winged Objective-C this way, great for getting the syntax quickly if you already know the concepts
>>
>>55891454
Didn't lie. Python is a pretty easy language from what I've heard and they know I can pick it up quickly. Interviews are never language specific.

>>55891579
Of course I could read the documentation and learn the language that way. However, in my experience, simply reading the documentation is rarely the most efficient way to go about learning a new language. Why sit there and try to do something inefficiently when there exist thousands of other resources that have the potential to be more effective tools? Given the existence of the countless other python learning resources, the statistical likelihood of the official python documentation being the best and most efficient way to learn python is woefully low. I would have to be a complete idiot to not at least explore other options.
>>
a.desu.sh/oxejdd.pdf
>>
>>55892258
Thanks anon. This looks neat
>>
>>55891454
Depends on the job, OP. What are you using Python for?
>>
Learnpythonthehardway.org/book

That's how I learnt
>>
>>55892258
>>55893008
gtfo
>>
Actual help here.

Since you didn't say what kind of job you're getting (web dev is different from data science), I'll give you some general advice for experienced devs in other languages.

https://learnxinyminutes.com/docs/python/ (look for the link to Python 3 if you need that one)

Above site will get you jump started on syntax and grammar pretty easily.

Then go to this old, but good site on writing idiomatic code:

http://ivory.idyll.org/articles/advanced-swc/

It also has some tips on project structure, setting up disttools, etc.

Find out what unit testing framework your new job is using and learn that. If you don't have one, I recommend pytest.

Google virtualenv and pyvenv, pyenv for setting up virtual environments. It helps you (a) not pollute your system-wide installation so python and (b) test against multiple python versions.

Google pip, which is python's package manager (opam, npm, nuget, etc in other langauges)

http://www.diveintopython3.net/

This book will give you a great intermediate-to-advanced coverage on topics. At least skip relevant portions.

Finally, go read up on some good projects written in Python. I personally like boto and aws-cli from AWS on github. Well written.

At this point, you're going to have to rely on official docs of whatever framework or specific toolset you're using on the job. Good luck, and welcome to programming in Python.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.