[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did this become the standard?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 12

File: RGBvsRYB.png (8KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
RGBvsRYB.png
8KB, 540x720px
I'm sure everyone learned that Red Yellow and Blue were the 3 "master colors" that were said to make any color imagineable. At least that was the case in middle school art class. So, how did we end up replacing Yellow with Green and completely changing the universal standard?
>>
>>55891038
Blame Doom.
>>
>>55891038
Search "additive vs subtractive color mixing"
>>
>>55891120
Just about to post this; paint is different to light
>>
It largely has to do with how we perceive color. There's two ways "color" can exist
1) It's emitted (like an LED). These are "additive" colors
2) It's reflected (pigments) "Subtractive colors"

>Traditionally, it have been used additive colors (RGB) because the canon for computer graphics was the computer monitor, and since it's a emiting element, it makes sense to use the same structure at the graphic card (the colors are showed without conversions),

From
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6531536/why-rgb-and-not-ryb
>>
red, green, blue are the primary additive colors
magenta (red), yellow and cyan (blue) are the primary subtractive colors
red yellow and blue is some dumb simplifcation they tell you in primary school art class
>>
Huh, learn something new everyday.
>>
>>55891038
>Red Yellow Blue
I am a hobbyist color science and this is literally the first time in my life that I've heard somebody say “red yellow blue”.

Normal color systems are red green blue = RGB or cyan magenta yellow (black) = CMY(K).

I have no idea where you got into your head that Red Yellow blue was any sort of standard that anybody ever used in the history of ever
>>
>>55891176
they used to use it centries ago before we knew any better, but it's still taught in schools today
>>
>>55891176
Pokemon
>>
>>55891176
Shove your colors up your ass and drink bleach faggot
>>
>>55891153
>>55891194
>red yellow and blue is some dumb simplifcation they tell you in primary school art class
Is this some americunt thing? I don't go to burgerland so I don't know what kind of shit they are feeding you there, but here in Germany it's always been RGB and/or CMYK
>>
>>55891176
I learned in art class that red, yellow and blue were the primary colors and you could get any other one by mixing them.
>>
>>55891206
Why dont you take your knowledge about colors and educate some muslim migrants that are fucking your girlfriend every night and shoving kebab up her ass.
>>
>>55891219
joke's on you, I don't have a girlfriend

but go vote trump and remove those illegal mexicans from your country, /pol/tard
>>
>>55891206
Chilean here, can confirm I was also taught Red Yellow Blue, so it's not a burger-only thing
>>
>>55891243
Just because you are oblivious to the decaying state of Europe, doesn't mean he's a /pol/tard.
>>
>>55891243
At least mexicans are far more civilized people than hijabi's.
>>
>>55891268
>Decaying state of Europe
Have you fucking looked around you lately? The entire world is falling apart, America being one of the big driving factors.

SJWs and feminists are infesting everything, every month you hear about some new “free trade”, “IP protection” or “anti-terrorist” bill, obesity skyrocketing as people stopped giving a shit about food regulations etc. and all this is being exported straight from the arse of the american society to the rest of the world.

Granted, europe has it extra bad because we're importing shit from the west and shit from the east, but that doesn't make the situation in the rest of the world much better.
>>
>>55891330
Mexicans are more civilized, they'll just murder you instead of raping your wife. Saves you the emotional pain.
>>
File: StankyLeg.gif (1MB, 451x476px) Image search: [Google]
StankyLeg.gif
1MB, 451x476px
This is easily the most hostile color-related thread I've seen in a while
>>
>>55891176
I'm Aussie and i was taught red yellow blue as well.

No one really appreciates it when you throw around insults then call us idiots for liking Trump.
Germans and Swedes are the worst when it comes to politics. So you should just go fuck off some time, yeah?
And take your "I'm a hobbyist" back to llleddit, as it does not prove anything about how educated you are.
>>
File: cmy-primaries[1].gif (7KB, 421x236px)
cmy-primaries[1].gif
7KB, 421x236px
>>55891578
You should have learnt about additive and subtractive colours in early high school
>>
>>55891739
lol no. Only ever learned about colours in Year 3, and 6.
>>
>>55891446
quality post
>>
>>55891964
You didn't learn about the nature of light in science class?
>>
>>55891981
Nope - only thing i remember from science in high school is testing the pH of water
>>
>>55891219
openly spamming memes from the lowest iq board on this website.
>>55891268
there is a difference between knowing the complex dilemma Europe has brought upon itself and being a fucking idiot full of groupthink cancer
>>
>>55891446
I take it you don't go on /pol/ or /b/?
>>
>>55892454
I mean... I go once in a blue moon... But how could color create such hostile reactions I will never know
>>
>>55891268
>decaying state of Europe
europe hasn't seen this level of peace, prosperity and stability in its entire history
>>
>>55891446
Blame the triggered amerilard.
>>
>>55891038
Pokémon Red, Green, Blue and Yellow.
>>
>>55892534
I was about to joke about the military coup in turkey but then I realized the rate of military coups per year is at an all-time low in turkey as we speak
>>
>>55892534
This. What is it about peace and prosperity that causes the alt right to rise and ruin everything? Does humanity really need to struggle with major problems to not turn on itself over minor differences?
>>
>>55891038
Pigment vs light , or subtractive vs additive.

In art class you use paint, a pigment. You can make any color pigment out of red (actually magenta), yellow, and blue (actually cyan) pigments. This is why everyone learned these as primary colors in art class.

Mixing light (think of pointing multiple beams at the same point), works differently. Instead of mixing different-colored substances you're actually dealing with the waylight waves add and cancel each other out. In this system, any color can be made using red, green, and blue. So these are the primary light colors. Because the pixels in your monitor work by combining light, this is the standard used in computers.

Both are valid sets of primary colors, depending on the situation.
>>
>>55892644
>tfw i didn't actually know this because it was never taught where i live
What the fuck, it seems like important knowledge
>>
>>55891038
>At least that was the case in middle school art class.
I learned the same. But you expand your horizons when you get older. Remember when you could not subtract 5 from 4? Then you learned about negative numbers later. Same for colour systems.
>>
>>55892784
WTF, are you telling me there are negative colors?
>>
>>55891578
Germans are at half-cuck and swedes are at full-cuck safety off.

That said, the Australian political scene is so hilariously retarded you really don't have any room to speak. I think part of it is that all your politicians know that, at the end of the day, cmon it's just Australia.
>>
File: Untitled.png (649KB, 1779x740px)
Untitled.png
649KB, 1779x740px
>>55892813
>>
>>55892900
I was just messing with you. Besides, negative colors are a thing

In software they're used to represent out-of-gamut colors

But your eye can also see a type of negative color (by overstimulating the cones and then looking at an opposite color): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossible_color
>>
File: Untitled.png (391KB, 1779x740px)
Untitled.png
391KB, 1779x740px
>>55892929
I learned something new today. Thanks!
>>
>>55891038
Anyone know a good movie website?
>>
File: trimmed.png (366KB, 1778x643px) Image search: [Google]
trimmed.png
366KB, 1778x643px
>>55892960
learn to crap faggot

convert https://i.4cdn.org/g/1470199968333.png -trim trimmed.png
>>
>>55891176
>I am a hobbyist color science and this is literally the first time in my life that I've heard somebody say “red yellow blue”.

Not much of a hobbyist then, are you?
Not
>>
File: 1000px-Cones_SMJ2_E.svg.png (72KB, 1000x756px) Image search: [Google]
1000px-Cones_SMJ2_E.svg.png
72KB, 1000x756px
Just in case anyone actually wants to learn something about colour perception.
http://www.huevaluechroma.com/index.php
http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/
>>
>>55893052
>L M S are colored red, green and blue
misleading representation
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 2233x811px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 2233x811px
>>55892996
Is this better?
>>
File: color wheel labeled.gif (8KB, 279x280px) Image search: [Google]
color wheel labeled.gif
8KB, 279x280px
>>55891176
Literally look at any color wheel ever.

Red, Yellow, Blue would be the primaries, and when you mix them you get secondaries (Orange, Green, and Purple, by mixing Red & Yellow, Yellow & Blue, and Blue & Red respectively)
Tertiary by mixing primaries and secondaries, and so on.
>>
>>55893089
yes, much better

p.s. I find it sort of questionable that wikipedia asks you for full personal information when making a donation. I have a feeling it's less of a donation drive and more of an information harvesting gig

I actually tried donating (anonymously, via bitcoin) but there was no option for it and wikipedia tech support didn't understand my question
>>
>>55893076
The links are there for a reason mate. Don't make me fall for you bait again sonny.
>>
>>55893223
But our cones don't see in “red, green and blue” as the lines would suggest

M and L both see pretty much the same spectrum of color, and our idea of red and green arises from the relative difference between them (opponent color process)
>>
>>55893260
And reading through the first link will tell you this.
Yes, yes. With some subtle differences. All the same, the idea of a set of primary colours is entirely context sensitive. With some perceptual models primary colours don't even exist the way they most people think of them. Eg: Lab colour and spectrum based systems.
>>
>>55893330
Yes I know all of this. What I'm telling you is that the idea of coloring them red, green and blue is misleading

I say this because it that coloring in particular misled me for a long time when I was new to this stuff.
>>
>>55892680
This literally is only important if

A) its your job, as in you work in printing,
B) you are an artist.

There are far more important practical things you need to learn then this, so a once over when you are in grade school and then a physical science class is enough
>>
>>55893492
C) you are a programmer who has ever developed anything graphical
>>
>>55892784
always fucking hated this way of teaching, its what lead to school teaching me the same fucking shit for 10 years in history. 3 times they blatantly lie to me only deciding 'they are old enough to know the truth' in highschool.
>>
>>55891256
hows the weather?
I bet its Chile
>>
>>55893506
kind of... if i knew more about programing i would have a more yes or no answer to this.
>>
>>55891176
dude what
RYB are your 3 primaries that anyone whos ever mixed paint and painted a picture will know
RGB refers to your monitor/display colour space and nothing more
>>
>>55893557
RGB is based on physics, the human perception of color, the wavelengths of light, etc.

RYB is based on some paint-sniffing guys centuries-old pre-physics ideas of how color worked

you're free to believe whatever the hell you want, but I believe in science
>>
>>55891981
light bends when entering a slower medium
and some stuff about bleu and red shift
>>
>>55893585
>RYB is based on some paint-sniffing guys centuries-old pre-physics ideas of how color worked
and thats exaclty how it does work, there is no Green primary, its made by mixing Y and B
>>
>>55893641
How fucking retarded can you get?

Spectral green is made by mixing yellow and cyan. Your “muddy” green primary will never be as bright as a spectral green would. You also can't mix cyan or magenta at all

enjoy your shitty paintings. I'm sure the entire printing industry has less of an idea what they're doing than some arts and crafts major
>>
>>55893530
>if i knew more about programing i would have

I can assure you it's important in GUI programming, game dev, web design, graphic design, and basically anything that involves a computer screen.

This entire thread. I've never even met someone who was ignorant about the differences of light and pigment coloring.

I mean don't you, inhabit a world governed by physical laws, with effects you can observe and internalize? There are people with working vision who never notice this stuff?
>>
>>55893146
>p.s. I find it sort of questionable that wikipedia asks you for full personal information when making a donation

Some countries have strict laws about donations and they can't just be anonymous.
>>
>>55893705
But I'm not making a donation, I'm not even communicating with wikipedia at all.

Really, I'm just sending a few bytes of harmless information to a few friends I'm connected to in a p2p network :)
>>
File: 1300044776986.jpg (17KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1300044776986.jpg
17KB, 250x250px
>>55893693
>yellow and cyan
cyan is blue m8
>>
>>55893736
>cyan is blue
no, blue is cyan + yellow
>>
>>55893745
cyan + magenta*
>>
>>55891176
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_color#History
>>
>>55893100
that's a shit color wheel mate
>>
>>55891206
Canada here, was taught red yellow blue
>>
>>55893693
like i said, no idea about programing side of things, i don't know how much of the legwork is already done and its all people piggy backing off of what's already made.

I mean look at it this way, the people who programed unreal engine, i have no doubt they need to know that shit to get the engine functioning, but the people who use the engine afterwords?

If i knew more about the entire process and how much is piggybacking, i would say more but i don't.
>>
>>55893804
>It predates modern scientific color theory.
>This theory became dogma, despite abundant evidence that red, yellow and blue primaries cannot mix all other colors
>Using red, yellow, and blue as primaries yields a relatively small gamut, in which, among other problems, colorful greens, cyans, purples and magentas are impossible to mix, because red, yellow and blue do not correspond to the subtractive primaries dictated by human color vision.

tl;dr people who believe RYB is a valid color model are fucking retarded
>>
>>55893829
If you're programming in ANY field and you don't know how to red a color hex code, you aren't a real programmer

sorry to break it to you
>>
>>55893839
I think we are thinking of something completely different.

you are talking about picking a color
i'm thinking of creating the code to define what that color even is.
>>
>>55893861
my point is that if you understand hex color codes you understand it's #RRGGBB and therefore understand it's not yellow in the middle
>>
>>55891038
Think that's weird?
Take printed media

Who would think of cyan and magenta as "standard" colors.
>>
>>55893876
humans because that's how our eyes work
>>
>>55893715
That's the same thing the banks do when you pay wikipedia in a regular way.
>>
>>55891038
RYB is a painting thing that is old as fuck and keeps being used in plastic arts because of tradition, RGB and CMYK are primary standards based on how our eyes perceive light and paint (reflected light) aka additive and substractive colors, hence why screens of any electronic device are all on RGB but when you print, lets say, a poster, you're suggested to do so on CMYK so you don't have any issues with wrong colors (K being key or black).

Don't try to mix red, green and blue paints in real life, you will only get a shitty brown color and disappointment. Try doing the same with spotlights or lightsources and you will get white, though.
>>
>>55892872
Oh i know out politics suck. But i was talking about politics in General - especially American Politics.

I focus more into American than Australian, some Australian politics are real great. But we are better at judging them - where swedes and Germans vote whatever lets more refugees in.

And they will always feel guilty about themselves because they think the holocaust was the worst thing to ever happen in the world - just like how most Americans think 9/11 was bad.
>>
>>55891038
Because schools teach it wrong. Learn up color science, color gamut, sRGB and the likes.
>>
I'm surprised I can't find a scanned version of this. Anybody? This is pretty old but it's considered as a good base literature about colors.

https://www.amazon.com/Color-Science-Concepts-Quantitative-Formulae/dp/0471399183/ref=mt_paperback
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.