[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'd just like to interject for a moment..

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (72KB, 800x530px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 800x530px
>previously running windows 7
>windows 10 released
>windows 7 gets telemetry updates and assorted cuckoldry
>be principled oldfag, not a gamer, dont want to support that or deal with disabling updates etc
>decide to ditch windows across the board all together
>worth noting this included the ultimate test of patience for any neckbeard; teaching non-tech savvy wife/gf linux, which she now loves
>now running various linux distros on all machines (laptops, desktop, media server)
>yesterday ancient home network printer that worked fine finally breaks beyond repair after 8 years of service
>start shopping for new one
>no 'new' printers have linux drivers or support, anywhere in [current year]

why is there a conspiracy against linux when it comes to hardware, especially printers and drivers? my shopping selection of supported printers is limited to used 5+ year old printers on ebay or refurbished garbage selling for ten times what theyre worth

i like running linux but writing my own drivers for everything is not what i had in mind. i feel like the only answer is to install windows 10 on at least one machine

for once, installing gentoo is not the answer. have ""they"" beat me /g/entoomen? anyone else know this feel and how do you deal with it?
>>
>>55878417
look at canon all in one printer
or google which current printers ubuntu supports
>>
>wife/gf
>hurr I can't google

Fuck off m8
>>
>>55878474
i have, they're all old

>>55878492
was g/f, now wife
see above
no u
>>
>>55878492
Maybe look into cups and or guten printer drivers then you fucking kek
>>
>>55878417
thinkpenguin.com/catalog/printer-all-one-gnulinux
>>
>>55878417
>virtual box
>win xp
>print through that
Could work, totally bullshit waste of time though
>>
>>55878417
I think HP have good support for Linux
>>
>>55878621
ive seen that, it looks to me like they're refurbished and not actually new considering the printers are discontinued models. i'll have to contact them and see

>>55878638
i thought of a solution like that too but i wont know how well it works until after ive already bought the printer, possibly wasting money/time

>>55878645
non ive the new models ive seen. only discontinued/old models
>>
>>55878683
HP Officejet Pro 8600 works on linux
>>
I had an Epson all-in-one that worked fine on Linux (Arch). I think it was a WP-45xx model.
>>
>>55878683

The VM solution absolutely works.

What i also tried out with sucess is simply installing the wrong driver. Don't know if it was just dumb luck but it worked, would guess most don't reinvent the weel. There is no benefit to incure more costs after all in paying someone to constantly write new drivers.
>>
>>55878759
>over $300

>>55878811
I finally found a new in box, reasonably priced all-in-one printer that will work with Linux as a result of you mentioning that (Epson WorkForce WF-2650). Thanks

>>55878868
I figured it would I just didn't want to have to do it that way. Especially being a multi-user setup I would have a lot of teaching to do which I'd rather not if possible.
>>
many printers which use wireless or ethernet and have their own firmware don't care which OS you are using

remember people need to print from Mac OS, android, their iPad, their Chromebook, etc., this isn't 1995 where you need to connect your printer to the parallel port on your 486
>>
HP has good linux support, and almost any printer with WiFi will support linux because standards.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.