[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not gonna lie, but this is a dope ass looking laptop yo.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 7

File: HP-Spectre-13-Laptop.jpg (137KB, 1087x725px) Image search: [Google]
HP-Spectre-13-Laptop.jpg
137KB, 1087x725px
Not gonna lie, but this is a dope ass looking laptop yo.
>>
I saw one in person.
Why the fuck would anyone need a laptop this fucking thin?

I felt like I was gonna snap it half just by lifting the lid.
>>
Also from a repair perspective it's a nightmare, no thanks
>>
>>55869462
ive had a few hp laptops now and don't have a bad word to say about them
>>
>>55869499
A E S T H E T I C S
>>
>>55869517
I have an HP laptop with a broken hinge, very loud fan noise when under load, and a lot of bloat.
>>
>>
There is no fucking reason for buying a laptop in 2016.
>>
>>55869607
What's the alternative for a portable computer?
>>
>>55869617
a tablet or a smartphone
>>
>>55869462
The hinges and floating display looks kinda stupid, 16:9 bezel is disgusting and gold lacks subtlety.

The idea with fatter base in the back is cute though. They new logo is decent too.

7/10 looks overall.

>>55869499
Because it looks better and takes a bit less space?

>I felt like I was gonna snap it half just by lifting the lid.
That's due shitty build quality, not related to thinness. Surface Pro and the new Macbook are fucking thin too and don't feel like cheap trash.
>>
>>55869617
Phones pretty much do anything you could possibly need if you know how to use them. Laptops are big, clunky, and hard to upgrade. A phone or a tablet which are both cheaper are easy solutions.
>>
There is no fucking reason for buying a desktop in 2016.
>>
>>55869646
Both lack professional software and have shitty keyboards while any ultrabook will easy replace a desktop unless you need maximum performance.
>>
>>55869607
there is, I bought mine to code stuff while I'm in public transport, and so far it's been super useful
>>
Where are the ports?
>>
>>55869669
>Both lack professional software
They don't
>and have shitty keyboards
also incorrect
>>
>>55869462
I didn't know HP had a new logo
>>
>>55869679
You thought you wanted that headphone jack? Well you don't.
>>
>>55869646
Not at all comparable unless all you do is browse facebook
>>
>>55869677
You would be better of with a tablet
>>
>>55869697
>muh surfacebook
tablets a shit. You wouldn't know a good keyboard even if you were knocked out with one.
>>
>>55869695
Except that's not true, anything that you need mobility you can do with a tablet.
No you're not rendering videos on your way to work on your laptop so stop lying.
>>
>>55869682
>They don't
Do you think that cloud office is even close to the real deal?
At best there is Surface and clones that run a real OS but then there is... the shitty keyboard. Even their last one is pretty much on "bad ultrabook" level; while the device lacks lap-ability.

Any other tablet is pure shit for productivity unless you're a Le Artist with a iPad Pro. Any phone is pure shit for everything but basic stuff due screen size alone, and then there is the crippled software again.
>>
>>55869724
But compared to a laptop desktop pair. I would rather have a tablet rather than shitty laptop.
>>
>>55869724
Oh so you're using a mechanical keyboard on your laptop in public transport?
>>
Is the keyboard chiclet? Yes? then fuck you.
>>
>>55869743
>Do you think that cloud office is even close to the real deal?
The office app on tablets run exactly the fucking same with all its functionality.
>>
File: hp-spectre-4.jpg (731KB, 1680x946px) Image search: [Google]
hp-spectre-4.jpg
731KB, 1680x946px
>>55869679
>>
>it's a /g/ pretends laptops have good keyboards to justify their dumb purchases episode
>>
>>55869579
autism
>>
>>55869654
>not related to thinness.
No, it's related to thinnes.
>>
>>55869767
>the fucking same with all its functionality.
Last time I checked it couldn't even display more than one page at the same time. Don't even want to imagine how bad the rest of customisazion is.

>>55869780
I like using my laptop keyboard more than the desktop one; maybe not everyone is an autist who fell for the mechanical meme?
>>
>>55869734
I can't bring a desktop to university, and tablets don't run Visual Studios, Atmel Studios, Quartus Prime, ModelSim, SAM-BA, LTSpice, KiCad, Matlab, LibreCad, and probably many other programs that I absolutely need for classes.
>>
>>55869800
It's clearly not if there are just as thin devices that don't have stability issues or cheap "it's going to fall apart" feelz. Just like there are much fatter devices that feel like shit too.
>>
>>55869802
>Last time I checked it couldn't even display more than one page at the same time.
Try using a non-shitty 720p tablet next time pajeet.

>I like using my laptop keyboard more than the desktop one
Nothing wrong with liking shitty keyboards, just stop pretending they are good.
>>
>>55869780
mine does.

N U M P A D
U
M
P
A
D
>>
>>55869775
Is that all? Seems very inconvenient
>>
>>55869824
Surface runs all of that.
What is your excuse?
>>
>>55869836
>numpad
There is literally no reason to have two of the same fucking keys on a keyboard. Learn to fucking type
>>
>>55869850
Surface Pro is a laptop.
>>
>>55869827
Why would 720p be an issue on a tablet if desktop word can easy display 2-3 pages on the same resolution?

>just stop pretending they are good
Given the amount of people who like them, they clearly are good.

>>55869850
You can't use it on your lap, so it's a half-assed laptop-tablet mix. Besides, since you do need a keyboard for everything relevant, why not just getting a device that has it right away?
>>
>>55869654
>gold lacks subtlety
As someone who works with design on a daily basis, what the ungodly fuck do you mean? It's a very reduced shade and doesn't grab your attention. It's used to highlight details, not as a detail itself. How could it possibly be more subtle? By being black, perhaps?

I do agree with you on the bezel though.
>>
>>55869895
>You can't use it on your lap
You're not supposed to use any laptop on your lap. Read the manual, it says to always use them on a hard, flat surface.
>>
>>55869878
Surface is a tablet.

>>55869895
>Why would 720p be an issue on a tablet
Because when you're running a 5 year old tablet with shitty res and outdated OS you can't expect it to perform like a modern tablet.
>Given the amount of people who like them, they clearly are good.
Argumentum ad populum

>You can't use it on your lap
Yes you fucking can, just put them on your fucking lap you autistic cunt.
>>
>>55869948
>Surface is a tablet.

I guess it can be called both, but when you have the keyboard attached, which you need to use all of those programs I listed, I don't see how it is not a laptop.
>>
>>55869897
By being less shiny at very least. Perhaps it's not as obvious on the picture OP provided but the shit is full of bling, which is nice to attract attention and fingerprints but just doesn't look professional.

It's basically Trump the laptop.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/hp-goes-for-bling-with-new-super-thin-copper-accented-spectre-notebook/

>By being black, perhaps?
That always works too, specially non shiny spacegrey variant. Not very exciting but at least it doesn't look as childish.
>>
>>55869966
Pretty sure you can remove the keyboard and use those programs, you're just gonna have to use the touch screen.
Also having a keyboard that can be attached to it doesn't turn a tablet into a laptop otherwise my nexus 7 is a laptop.
>>
>>55869966
>but when you have the keyboard attached, which you need to use all of those programs I listed, I don't see how it is not a laptop.
Not him but that is an incredibly arbitrary way of looking at it. Is a Galaxy Tab with a keyboard cover a laptop? If not, why not then, since it has a keyboard?
>>
>>55869897
>As someone who works with design on a daily basis
And you are obviously very bad at it.
>>
>>55869948
>Because when you're running a 5 year old tablet with shitty res and outdated OS you can't expect it to perform like a modern tablet.
Displaying two fucking pages of text is hardly expecting too much. Any netbook could do that.

>Argumentum ad populum
Works pretty well if money is involved. People wouldn't pay 1-2k bucks for something they dislike to use for years over and over again.
>>
>>55869870
mechanical keyboard autist detected. do you even taxes?
>>
>>55869646
Gimped, slow trash
>>
>>55870009
If you have so much typing to do to justify a num-pad, might as well save the time and hire mister Goldberg.
>>
>>55870002
Any tablet running android 5.0 can do that, even 4.0 can 3rd party apps
>Works pretty well if money is involved
No, people liking and spending money on things doesn't make them good.
>>
>>55869980
that is fucking hideous
>>
>>55869607
What if I work on CAD, 3D Rendering and live life on the go and have no stable housing situation now what?
>>
>>55870021
>I never used a nonchink smartphone or tablet after 2014
>>
>>55869462
I didn't ask for this
>>
>>55869980
>By being less shiny at very least
The shine is half the point of the detail, it follows current trends in interior design.
>It's basically Trump the laptop.
Hehe, absolutely not. There are quite a few differences between the styles but I wouldn't expect the average /g/entooman to be aware of the distinctions. All in all, it's not as bad as some rose gold travesties we've seen lately.
>Space grey
Totally acceptable if more than a little boring. It's the colour equivalent of
>I wouldn't want anyone to actually notice me.
>>
>>55869994
>>55869989
Let's not get stuck on semantics, what I am saying is that you need a device with 1) an x86 CPU, 2) a keyboard and 3) a minimum amount of performance and extensibility (ports etc) and that a device that doesn't have all of that is not a replacement.
>>
>>55870053
Get a mobile home and desktop.
Your laptop is going to be shitty anyway and you'll need a million batteries to swap to get anything done.
>>
>>55869999
2/10 troll made me use my numpad :^)
>>
>>55870077
>you need a device with 1) an x86 CPU, 2) a keyboard and 3) a minimum amount of performance and extensibility (ports etc) and that a device that doesn't have all of that is not a replacement.
But there are tablets with all that.
>>
>>55870078
What do you think a Hardware Mux and switchable graphics are for?
You can get workstation laptops for 1k that under load can still retain 4-8 hours of battery on the original stock battery.
>>
>>55870098
I don't give a shit what you want to call it
>>
>>55870077
>>55870112

>argues anything with keyboard attached to it is a laptop
>gets fucked by his own logic
>Let's not get stuck on semantics
>>
>>55870029
why are you so butthurt that i want extra buttons?
>>
>>55870098
>Minimum Performance and ports+keyboard

You don't mean those core M convertibles right?
Because those throttle like there is no tomorrow.
>>
>>55870108
Your performance will still be shit compared to a mid range desktop.
So again if we're playing the dumb hypothetical game just get a mobile home and a desktop
>>
>>55870077
>Let's not get stuck on semantics
You're discussing the definition of a device, it's all semantics. It is the very definition of semantics.
>1) an x86 CPU, 2) a keyboard and 3) a minimum amount of performance and extensibility (ports etc)
That is an incredibly useless definition. You'd be better off using the actual definition, in which case you end up with a clamshell computer, with a keyboard either permanently attached or attached with some sort of fastener mechanism as part of the device itself and not a separate cover. Processor architecture and number of ports has no say as by your definition Chromebooks are not laptops and neither is the one port MacBook.
>>
>>55870121
I still think that everything that has all the three elements I listed is a laptop, not a tablet, but again: that is entirely subjective and has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make.

If anything I would argue that you are the one backtracking, first claiming that there is no reason to own a laptop in 2016, and then extending the definition of tablet to include what is practically a laptop.
>>
File: IMG_20160801_133314849.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160801_133314849.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>55869543
Must be standard
>>
File: 1453121373375.png (1MB, 788x872px) Image search: [Google]
1453121373375.png
1MB, 788x872px
>>55870152
No you can get full power CPU's and GPU's on WORKSTATION laptop see the Lenovo Thinkpad P series that came out early this year.

You're the one so stuck up your own ass that you don't know jack shit about computers.
>>
>>55870168
>that is entirely subjective
Not him but a definition is not subjective.
>extending the definition of tablet to include what is practically a laptop.
If a touchscreen is the primary method of input, it is a tablet or possibly a "hybrid device"
>>
>>55870180
nice benchmarks you have there to back up your arguemnt.
>>
>>55870168
You're the one with a retarded definition for tablets.
>Must be ARM
>No keyboards
>No extra ports
>>
>>55870176
You have not been kind to that SleekBook. I have one just like it that I've been abusing for four years now. It's currently running absolutely fanlessy as the AMD APU in it doesn't need active cooling when I'm just shitposting. There may be an option in your BIOS to enable fanless mode.
>>
>>55870046
>No, people liking and spending money on things doesn't make them good.
Yeah, people just like to donate their cash to tech companies and don't spend it because they get good value back. That's an interesting take on capitalism for sure.

>>55870064
>All in all, it's not as bad as some rose gold travesties we've seen lately.
While the color itself is repulsive at least it's not shinny; although overall it looks kinda off indeed. If HP at least used mate finish while keeping the tone, it'd look a lot less annoying and a lot more serious.

>It's the colour equivalent of "I wouldn't want anyone to actually notice me."
Sure but this sounds preferable to "notice me" bling bling. It's nice that they moved from the "let's copy Air" design but the result isn't there yet, I'd say.
>>
>>55870002
Ah is that why iphones are awesome, truffles and caviar are delicious? Pffffff
>>
>>55869543
>not doing a clean install of Windows to get rid of the bloatware or installing Linux

Buddy this is standard practice when buying a new computer.
>>
>>55870200
Benchmarks are subjective but here you go.
Your generic ass reviews and benchmarks which translates nothing.

You basically get a full 3 ghz CPU+ the generic 64 gigs of ram over 2 dimms.
SSD m2 slots +spare hard drive slots.
With the new AMD or NVIDIA workstation GPU's that are great at OpenCL and CUDA respectively.
There's no gaymans benchmarks that can provide an accurate introduction of their performance you can only show it by using them on professional aplications.

So basically keep up the straw man argument ill be over here working my simulations.
>>
>>55870231
>Yeah, people just like to donate their cash to tech companies and don't spend it because they get good value back. That's an interesting take on capitalism for sure.
Are you honestly trying to defend your appeal to popularity as an actual argument?
Uneducated consumers buying a product does NOT make a product good.
>>
>>55870195
>Not him but a definition is not subjective.

Yes it is, you can have a different definition of something than I have. There is no such thing as an absolute definition, even dictionaries often disagree on how to define certain words.

>If a touchscreen is the primary method of input, it is a tablet or possibly a "hybrid device"
Whether the touchscreen is the primary method of input of not is also highly subjective. In the case of the Surface, I'm sure many people only use the touchscreen, but as for me I would only use the keyboard.

>>55870212
Now that's a strawman argument. I never told you my definition of tablet, I only told you my definition of laptop. You must not assume that I think the two are mutually exclusive.
>>
>>55869897
>As someone who works with design on a daily basis
As someone who spends way too much time on this site, I of course know that you are full of shit and just try to give your stupid opinion more weight. But in the end it's still just your opinion and I don't give a shit. To me the laptop looks tacky as hell and I don't even see how they are trying to be subtle about it.
>>
>>55870221
Want mine originally, my mom gave it to me broken as my siblings fucked it up.
>>
>>55870267
>stawmen
fuck you
Your entire point was that something with x86, keyboard and ports was a laptop and refused to accept that it could be a tablet, even though the fucking company that develops it calls it a tablet and markets it as a tablet.
>>
>>55870285
*Wasn't
>>
>>55870259
Nice benchmarks you have there champ.
>>
>>55870233
iPhones aren't luxury goods in the first world. Truffles are indeed pretty nice, can't comment on caviar since I hate any type of sea-related food; and luxury shit has the value of presenting you as wealthy and all the jazz, just like normal clothes has the value to present you better than shit from Walmart, even tho both do the job of keeping you warm and your dick covered.

Since laptops aren't luxury goods in the first world either way ... you're missing the point.

>>55870263
Any kind of consumer experiences the product, you don't need to understand shit to tell that you like keyboard A and don't like keyboard B. If enough people would hate keyboard B, nobody would buy it, hence nobody would make devices with it.

I specially mentioned 1-2k laptops, since the people buying these clearly got a vast number of choices; so don't buy simply the first thing that they can afford.
>>
>>55870289
That wasn't my entire point at all, as I've said many times I don't care what you want to call a tablet and what you want to call a laptop.
>>
>>55870313
http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-p70
>>
>>55870231
>If HP at least used mate finish while keeping the tone, it'd look a lot less annoying and a lot more serious.
If you followed interior trends you'd see that copper has been in for the past ~5 years or so, it looks like they've gotten a new designer who has worked in something other than product design or at least heavily been inspired from interior trends.
>Sure but this sounds preferable to "notice me" bling bling
It's not an either-or situation, there is a large middle ground and the glossy copper arguably falls nicely into it.
>It's nice that they moved from the "let's copy Air" design
HP have actually dodged that quite nicely with designs like >>55870176
>>55870270
>I of course know that you are full of shit and just try to give your stupid opinion more weight
Well, like, that's your opinion man. I can't really give you any proof without potentially getting my workplace in trouble because this is 4chan. I will, however, tell you that I'm a homestager in Scandinavia. I have no formal education in the field but I do have nearly four years of experience, having gone to trade exhibitions in Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen. Scandinavian design is very Scandinavian centric so it is very possible that the copper look has not become as commonplace in the rest of the world as it is here.
>>
Gaudy as fuck.
>>
>>55869462
NO PORTS
O

P
O
R
T
S
>>
>>55870336
So, still way below desktops for that price range with a batter than can only do 6 hours if you use it as a facebook machine.
Thanks for proving my point I guess familia
>>
>>55869656
this could not be any more wrong.
>>
>>55870327
you're still trying to defend an appeal to popularity as an actual argument
>>
>>55870371
>That can only do 6 hours
Generic benchmarks do not prove real life performance.
You're retarded to even think like that.
>>
>>55870267
>Yes it is, you can have a different definition of something than I have
That's not how a definition works you dunce. Go look it up.
>>55870333
>I don't care what the actual definition is, I'm going to keep calling a spade a car and you can't tell me otherwise!
Alright dude.
>>55870285
That's fair enough. I've dragged mine through a large part of Europe. I'm disappointed that it hasn't died yet, I want an upgrade but I can't justify it until this one kicks the bucket.
>>
>>55869462
yo mkbhd
>>
>>55870399
>generic benchmark
Yeah, because in real world scenarios heavy loads use less battery than web browsing.
Makes complete sense.
>>
>>55870406
>he'll go look up the definition of definition
>he'll think that the definition of definition is also subjective
it's a lost cause anon
>>
>>55870398
Nothing wrong with it if it's supported by the forces of the market, specially since the factor of price isn't included (which might skew the picture to cheap stuff)
>>
>>55870437
So the Top 10 music on iTunes is the best music?
And Beats are the best headphones too right?
>>
>>55870431
>>he'll think that the definition of definition is also subjective
Fuck, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe he really is a lost cause. I hope for his sake that English is not his first language.
>>
>>55869462
tl;dr

is that worth buying or is it scam for rich illiterate retards?
>>
>>55870416
Yes because lets assume you use max brightness and only connect to the internet using wireless to decode video and use Facebook clunky ass interface that drains any computer dry for resources.

I'm currently using a Lenovo y700 which has a battery rated for 6 hours max.
I can get , while web browsing (be it either wireless or cable) about 12 hours of constant browsing with Firefox with multiple tabs open on linux, on windows due to not being able to mess with the settings I get around 6-8 hours.

It's really fucking subjective.

While I'm actually running VM's and doing cad work at the same time I get about 3-4 hours of battery while doing web browsing.

You can't trust Benchmarks.
>>
>>55870406
>That's not how a definition works you dunce. Go look it up.

Yes it is, actually.

>>>I don't care what the actual definition is, I'm going to keep calling a spade a car and you can't tell me otherwise!
>Alright dude.

No such thing as "the actual definition".

If you want to use some dictionary's definition, then this whole debate actually falls apart as their definitions are so vague that literally any computer that is portable can be called laptop, and any computer with a touchscreen can be called a tablet.
>>
Looks like shit...too fucking thin. No optical drive and too few ports.

Reminds me of a netbook.
>>
>>55870455
>So the Top 10 music on iTunes is the best music?
It's the most popular music that appeals to many people and makes them happy or whatever. So it's clearly good for something. It doesn't need to be technically best to delight people, and other aspects of art are subjective yo.

>And Beats are the best headphones too right?
They offer the best balance of style-quality, and while their sound isn't as accurate, it's half of the point, since many people obviously like bass heavy stuff, therefore Beats are the best headphones for said people.

Given the most popular music these days, where bass is important, it's given that Beats are popular too due focusing on what people like.
>>
>>55870431
Wow, you were right, >>55870494 has shown himself to be knuckle dragging mouth breather incapable of understanding plain text.
>>
>>55870339
>everybody listen to me
>my opinions are so developed and sophisticated
>I'm even a professional at having these kinds of opinions
>guys listen
>>
>>55870536
Wow, you sure showed me!
>>
yeah it looks blingy as fuck
its like if rolex designed a luxury yacht, then used that as an inspiration to design a computer mouse, then built the laptop from there using only solid gold and usb-c ports
there is absolutely nothing subtle about that lux
>>
>>55870541
>I can't actually address anything of what he said so I'm going to shitpost instead
gg no re
>>
>>55870605

shitpost is a mith
>>
>>55870578
The word definition comes from the word define, if that doesn't give you an idea of how exact and specific something needs to be then I don't know what else to say to you.
>Hurr durr dictionaries are vague so I'm going to make up my own words!
Is really, really not an argument.
>>
>I can tell this laptop isn't gaudy because I've been going to trade exhibitions for 4 years. I'm kind of a professional design expert so please don't try to know things about aesthetics around me.
>>
>>55870682
See >>55870605
>>
File: this-is-highly[1].jpg (32KB, 600x452px) Image search: [Google]
this-is-highly[1].jpg
32KB, 600x452px
>>55870724
see >>55870644
>>
>>55870646
>Define: state or describe exactly the nature, scope, or meaning of.

Nowhere there does it say that said description need to be objective. Definitions are merely attempts at an objective description. But completely objective definitions are impossible. To realize why, consider the thought experiment of two factions disagreeing on a definition of which they both consider their own perfectly accurate. Who is right? Who has the authority to define something and overrule the equally accepted definition of others? The answer is of course no one. In fact, the mere act of perfectly describing something is impossible in itself because language isn't perfect. You can't describe something in language in such an absolute way as say math for example.
>>
File: MiTH-FIFA-Player-2016.jpg (206KB, 873x501px) Image search: [Google]
MiTH-FIFA-Player-2016.jpg
206KB, 873x501px
>>55870768
Shitpost is an Asian esports team? Cool.
>>
>>55870646
>>55870776
>/g/
>>
>>55870776
>exactly
That's a very important word.
>To realize why, consider the thought experiment of two factions disagreeing on a definition of which they both consider their own perfectly accurate. Who is right? Who has the authority to define something and overrule the equally accepted definition of others?
The answer is of course not you. You are disagree with every dictionary in the land and insisting on calling a spade a car.
>You can't describe something in language in such an absolute way as say math for example.
No but you can make a bloody good attempt. You're throwing it all out the window because
>It's not math lol, I can make up whatever shit I want!
>>
>No USB port

Why is this not a bigger issue? That alone puts me off the whole thing but it seems no one really gives a shit. It has USB-C, but that's hardly mainstream enough to drop full sized USB ports altogether
>>
>>55870880
Look at the price. People who consider buying one don't care about old standards and focus on the future.
>>
>>55870826
>The answer is of course not you. You are disagree with every dictionary in the land and insisting on calling a spade a car.

You are dodging the question. Explain to me the solution of the thought experiment if you want to convince me that definitions are not subjective.

But to entertain you, I already explain why that is false here: >>55870494
>If you want to use some dictionary's definition, then this whole debate actually falls apart as their definitions are so vague that literally any computer that is portable can be called laptop, and any computer with a touchscreen can be called a tablet.

My definition for tablet and for laptop certainly does fit most dictionaries' definition.
>>
>>55870880
I think bluetooth peripherals are common enough that many "cutting edge" computer users don't have to deal with dongles at all. and I think that usb multi-taps are more than capable enough for a desktop docking type situations.

I just think with a few accessories, its a non issue. it will certainly be somewhat inconvenient for a few years to come, until usb-c adapters become abundant
>>
>>55870176
>buying consumer grade shit
Get an EliteBook my man
>>
>>55869579
is he asleep
>>
>>55869462
How is it compared the the Dell XPS?
I'm thinking of getting a new laptop
>>
>>55870902
>Explain to me the solution of the thought experiment if you want to convince me that definitions are not subjective.
This is absolutely spurious and should not need addressing but I'll go ahead and give an intentionally vague explanation; definitions are usually provided to the dictionary by persons educated and experienced in their respective fields and coincide with agreed upon meanings.
>My definition for tablet and for laptop certainly does fit most dictionaries' definition.
Absolutely not. Your definition of laptop excludes an absolutely massive chunk of laptops and includes a swathe of tablets and hybrid devices. This is in direct conflict with virtually any dictionary.
>>
>>55870961
>>55870285
I dindu nuffin
>>
>>55871003
>This is absolutely spurious and should not need addressing but I'll go ahead and give an intentionally vague explanation; definitions are usually provided to the dictionary by persons educated and experienced in their respective fields and coincide with agreed upon meanings.

It is not spurious, it is essential to the concept of definitions and thus this discussion. If it is not, explain why you think so.
And that is not an answer to the thought experiment. Here two equally authoritative forces are contradicting each other. How dictionaries work in the real world is irrelevant. Of course it would be easy to pretend definitions are true if most everyone knowledgeable about the subject agrees on it, which is usually the case for dictionary entries (but not all).

>Absolutely not. Your definition of laptop excludes an absolutely massive chunk of laptops and includes a swathe of tablets and hybrid devices. This is in direct conflict with virtually any dictionary.

Right, I guess that is true. What I mostly meant was that my claim that every device that fulfills the criteria I posted here: >>55870077 , including the microsoft surface, is a laptop, is in agreement with dictionaries. Because it is, and what started this argument was that someone disagreed with me that the surface is a laptop.
>>
>>55871167
Now I understand your "thought experiment" more clearly. It's on the same level as asking what happens if you throw a ball forward while on a train travelling at the speed of light. It's a thought experiment as legitimate as yours is.
>the microsoft surface, is a laptop
But it isn't. It's a hybrid device. The surface book is a laptop.
>>
>>55871255
>But it isn't. It's a hybrid device. The surface book is a laptop.

Show me a definition for laptop which the surface pro in combination with its keyboard cover doesn't fall under. I can't find one. It fits under these for example:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/laptop
http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/laptop.html
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/laptop
>>
>>55869462
Not gonna lie, that hinge is fucking gaudy shit
Thread posts: 138
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.