[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mesh networking, anyone?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: mesh-texture.jpg (565KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
mesh-texture.jpg
565KB, 1920x1280px
OK /g/ what's your take on mesh networking? Does it work at a large scale?
>>
Specifically, I saw this thing: meshmarble.blogspot.com/2016/07/its-coming.html and wondered if that would actually work.
>>
>>55861698
>what is the internet?
>>
>>55861767
More hierarchically than mesh, I'd say
>>
>>55861698
IMO: It doesn't scale well with our current technology, but with something like RLNC it easily could.

Latency's still a bitch, though.
>>
I know that there are mesh networks around, but afaict it seems hard to give any QoS.
>>
>>55861698
It's shit.

People love to circlejerk on meshed, anonymous, decentralized, yada yada buzzword networks, but they're all shit compared with the real internet.

Rely on anonymity, and there's no integrity nor reliability. Rely on security, and there's no flexibility, decentralization nor anonymity. Rely on decentralization, and you suddenly realize it doesn't technologically exist today and only "distributed" networks can, and they're not all people think they are, plus unreliable, insecure, hardly anonymous, and they end up converging to a single strong node, the most reliable and secure one usually, which as soon as it breaks shatters everything to pieces.

Mesh networking works, but it's pretty much shit. You really have to be desperate to ask for this, meaning, having no actual internet. It's widely used in some countries without internet, and very efficient over large scales, people even host pirate WoW servers on those and provide streaming services, albeit with a very random stability. But there's no reason to do this if you have the real internet at your disposal.

Plus there's hardly any reason for it to be meshed. Unless you plan on moving or modifying your infrastructure regularly, better just pull some cables. Actual meshed networks work mostly because they gather around a couple key nodes, which are wired to each other, fiber sometimes.

Now it's better than it sounds, as long as you're not one of those fags jerking to freenet, zeronet, acting like it's about "freedom of speech", but who only want to pirate movies, and then the pedos exchanging CP. You won't pirate movies with this, and CP would kill it, but clearly you can make a reliable network that supports "freedom of speech", and provides email, newsgroups, IRC, XMPP and hosting services, as long as you stick to text. But no one really wants that, it's all about "muh movies".
>>
consider an infinite grid of resistors
>>
>>55861698
>Does it work at a large scale?
I doubt. Doesn't the average number of hops between two nodes scale with sqrt(n) instead of log(n)? It's much worse latencywise.
>>
The number of hops can be optimized by the routing protocol. Like by not forwarding routing requests twice.
>>
>>55862949
Interesting thought. I decided to run some numbers:

There are maybe 50 million homes or so in the U.S. with an internet connection. I think a worst case traceroute within the U.S. has maybe 10 hops or so, that gives us a branching factor of 10-100 or so. (5 hops up the tree, 5 hops down the tree. 35^5 ≈ 50 million)

If we compare this with an optimal routing in a uniform mesh network, the number of hops would be on the order of 10,000 or so until you reach your destination.

That's a computational latency factor which is 1,000 times worse, and presumably all of those peers will also suffer from packet loss, congestion, etc. - not to mention it being a security nightmare.

Point to point communication in a mesh net is really, really fucking bad. Mesh nets excel for broadcasting though (e.g. file sharing, CDN, torrent, video streaming)
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.