[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long was the time between you first starting to get into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: 201965780_225faccf43.jpg (52KB, 380x302px) Image search: [Google]
201965780_225faccf43.jpg
52KB, 380x302px
How long was the time between you first starting to get into programming and the time when you started to feel somewhat competent?
>>
>>55856233
Nobody on /g/ makes decent money doing it, and most of them make no money at all.
>>
>>55856247
>OP asks about being competent at programming
>Retard replies about making money with programming
>>
>>55856233
About 15 years
>>
Started Programming in 2010

I'm now in my senior year of Computer Science, and working an internship and I kinda sorta feel like I know a little programming
>>
>>55856274
Why be competent in programming, if you aren't making it a source of income?

NEETs, please say away from serious discussions.
>>
>>55856360
Because writing good software is partly an art form
>>
>>55856247
I make money... I have a job
>>
>>55856336
I;m this guy >>55856292

>I kinda sorta feel like I know a little programming

Don't worry, you will get a kick again. You never really become competent at programming - there is always more to learn, always someone who is much better than you that makes you feel like you have a long way to go.

i.e. if you're fortunate enough
>>
if you don't have a MVP after a month of learning programming you're a failure in life.
>>
>>55856514
this guy is just joking btw
>>
miss me yet?
>>
There will always be someone better than you. That said, that's not an excuse to not start.
>>
>>55856233
A few hours. I made a nested for loop and plotted that a fractal pattern based on sin(x*y) which looks something like this:
@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@
>>
>>55856554
no, I'm not lmao
A month after learning python I had a functioning clipboard program for windows and a functioning clone of gnome-pie for windows. You can pick up python basics in a week, do a week more to learn about GUIs and that's that. Make something out of it.

I didn't sell these, but still it's something. I see all these failures on /g/ fellate themselves on how hard programming is, or how you need to study for 14 years to get a job blah blah. That's all bullshit. You can literally start learning now and in 6 months you can be hired in a junior position at a software company, unless you're mentally retarded that is (like most of /g/).
>>
>>55856473
>there is always more to learn, always someone who is much better than you that makes you feel like you have a long way to go

Thanks, I'm starting to realize how much there really is to programming, and how many things there are to specialize in. I'm really lucky to work with some absolutely incredible grey-beard programmers who have forgotten more about programming than most will ever know, and who are happy to share that information with bright-eyed interns like myself.
>>
>>55856233
I've been programming since the 90's.

...I'll let you know.
>>
>>55856376
> Because writing good software is partly an art form
>>
>>55856735
I'm not the guy that posted that, but it definitely is an art form. Good software has to:

>Do what you need it to do
>be efficient
>be readable
>be maintainable

Most programmers can write code to get the job done. Poorly written code is slow, or goes obsolete very shortly because even if you understand what it does, it might be very difficult to add functionality or repair it when it breaks. Being able to write code that fulfills all of the qualities above takes time, practice and dedication
>>
>>55856735
t. Pajeet who hacks code
>>
>>55856233
Oh, I felt like hot shit pretty quickly. It took me about eight years to realize I barely knew anything.
>>
>>55856247
Jesus Christ, you're retarded if you actually believe that. Yes, a lot of /g/ is retarded. There's also a lot of successful/talented people lurking here.
>>
2 years. And that was with all the required courses and some extra reading. Why? Because they teach it like computer science and not real programming.

Where and how did I learn it? SICP helped a lot, learning linux helped, playing lots of my old favorite gems, always looking for ways to emulate a process using what I knew and then when I found a hole in my knowledge, I'd fill it on the spot or think on it for days at a time.
>>
>>55858267
>successful/talented people lurking here

Ha.

Haha!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
>>
nobody is really competent and every codebase has tons of bugs. many coders get shit done and that's the most important metric.
>>
File: 1440031171929.jpg (59KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1440031171929.jpg
59KB, 633x758px
started in 2001, I still haven't made any money or feel like i can make anything useful, i just want to end my life because i feel like i wasted 15 years coding

>>55856376
when you find out the secret to coding its pretty underwhelming, you finally understand why pajeets get hired instead of domestic programmers. 90% of the writing code is grunt work, and its basic form hasn't changed since programmers tediously punched holes into cards. All thats really changed is we're able to do things faster in a shorter amount of time but the work load remains the same.
>>
Still waiting
>>
>>55856233
Every time I think I've become competent, a month later I look back and realize I didn't know shit. Repeat for 16 years.

If you become complacent with your knowledge and skill level, you stop growing as a programmer. When that happens, whatever job you presently have will be your last.
>>
Can someone explain to me: You have all these different programming languages, are they all readable by any kernel? Or is there one main parent language that they all feed into and are compatible with? Like, is any language compatible with bash?
>>
>>55856233
I started when I was 13 or so, so I'd say .. about 7-8 years?
>>
>>55856233
5 years, 4 in school, 1.5 outside of work.
You learn so fast while working
>>
>>55856617
teach me master, how do i start?
>>
I'm not a programmer Only my alter ego codes. It takes over when I got to sleep.
>>
>>55863962
bonsoir reddit
>>
I don't want to get into programming because the constant rush for new releases means that you'll always be forced to update with the latest trends and versions. There's no pause moment. It's a constant struggle. The effort is colossal compared to most of other fields if you're just starting out compared to someone who was doing it since the 90s. If you take this path, you'll exhaust your eyes and brain very fast. Technology changes too fast for me to keep up with it. The moment I feel somewhat comfortable with something, I'll have to learn something new all over again and I'll never be safe and accomplished in my zone, in order to say that 'Yes, now it's finally over, I've reached the finish line, I'm not a student anymore, I can apply what I know without having to stay late at night to study a new thing.'
>>
>>55856233
I'm very curious as to what kind of problems experienced programmers run into.
>>
>>55856233
I started programming in high-school, mainly doing edgy programs like a pic box moving across the screen copying a specific file everywhere, so 1960's virus wannabes.

Now I am doing large projects for my entertainment and for school with OOP, making plans and shit. I love it.

I got lucky also, the people I work with in a group are also on my level so it is fun.
>>
>>55856233
3 years.
>>
>>55856233
Competent???? Idk, about 5 years I guess. It gets alot easier to feel competent when you work with the same code base for a while. This question is almost always asked by people who just got their first job or are still looking.
>>
I started messing around with code in high school. Mostly making Morrowind mods using Bethesda's weird proprietary scripting language. Got out if it for a couple of years after that, then I decided about 2 years ago that I really wanted to be a programmer. I jumped into learning python and built a bunch of shitty Django and Flask web applications. I started learning c and spent some time with javascript. Got a job with a shitty "web development" agency building sites with wordpress. That allowed me to get pretty competent with html and css. After work I studied actual programming and server administration with a bit of general linux stuff. Did that for about 8 months. Went to a couple of python and javascript meet ups as well. About 4 months ago I got hired on as the sole developer for a start up. I'm building a large scale web application with django and postgresql set up in a server cluster with some scraping microservices running along the side. I make about 5000 usd a month and work from home. I'm not gonna kid myself, there's still a lot I don't know, but it's always been easy for me to pick up technical stuff. My previous jobs were being a mechanic and designing industrial fluid control systems. I have no college degree. My best advice is to just study consistently.
>>
>>55865717
cool. how old are you?
>>
>>55865739
>>
>>55856233
-2 years. I regret it of course
>>
>>55864361
what are you talking about?
C hasn't substantially changed in the last decade.
And once learning something like C++ or java you practically already know every OOP language in existence.
>>
>>55856360
Because it's fun, for fuck sake.
You can't be compentent in programming if the only reason you're doing it is as a source of income.
>>
5 years
>>
>>55862900
Learn how compilers work. The kernels you are used to are generally x86 kernels, which can all run the same binaries. When you compile a C, Rust, Fortran or whatever binary, it creates a bunch of instructions for the target architecture. This is, for virtually all desktop systems, x86 (or the 64-bit extension x86-64, aka AMD64). Other architectures do exist for mobile or specialized systems.

In practice, executables are made for a particular operating system, but this is due to the specific layout, hooks, and system calls used for that executable. While an x86 Linux machine can theoretically run an x86 Windows executable, it won't actually be able to do so without some assistance (such as Wine).
>>
>>55866537
You seem like the right person to ask. Got any suggestions where to learn more about ARM processors?
>>
>>55866604
Google. And the documentation of whatever your compiler is. If it doesn't have an ARM target and access to ARM intrinsic functions (especially the extensive NEON SIMD instructions), then you need to switch to one that does, like GCC.
>>
I guess I've only felt competent when I've seen my code run in production and it does its job.

I don't see myself as a great programmer, I'm average at beat. For me logically working out a solution is part of the art that I feel I am stronger at.

I work on one of the UKs largest print resellers internal and web applications. It's fun and challenging.
>>
>>55866674
Thanks.
>>
I'd say after ~6 years when I wrote my first kinda-successful game using Pascal and SDL.
>successful as in "I posted it to a forum and people generally liked it"
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.