[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much math do you need to be a competent webdev?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: 1469576302317.png (5KB, 262x292px) Image search: [Google]
1469576302317.png
5KB, 262x292px
How much math do you need to be a competent webdev?
>>
1+1=2
>>
High School math
>>
>>55851174
None.
>>
>>55851174
>muh math
>implying math has much to do with general programming

Unless you are doing scientific shit or working with big data you rarely ever use more than basic math.
>>
File: 4L_gDKbBf4r.png (311KB, 652x669px)
4L_gDKbBf4r.png
311KB, 652x669px
>>55851174
None. Even less is needed if you have a vagina.
>>
>>55851174
literally none

nowadays there's packages for everything you can think of

you don't have to do any of the low level work anymore
>>
basic arithmetic and maybe some geometry if you intend to draw circles.

3D graphics requires a decent grasp of linear algebra
>>
web dev here, wanting to go into something further. is 22 too late to begin a computer/electrical engineering major? I would have to brush up on algebra which i was decent at, but i have never taken an advance math/physics/chemistry course. think i could do it?
>>
I got accepted into college to study to be a librarian

Turns out it's database, more database and statistics
>>
>>55851174

You should know (at the very least) stuff like Lebesgue integration, Lie groups and complex analysis..

Yesterday I added some radio buttons on a user interface and I asked my coworked why he didn't added them before.. Turns out he could't even integrate on manifolds! We immediately fired this guy.
>>
>>55851345
you can study whatever you want at any age ya dingus
>>
>>55851174
High school.
>>
>>55851265

why would you EVER need to write a function that only multiplies
>>
>>55851174
>math
>webdev
>competent
only "math" and "competent" go together here
>>
>>55851431
>cause i'm so random XD!!! Gurls rule!!
>>
>>55851266
I dont think it is true. It is so easy to fall into pitfalls without knowing some basic math, especially, when you need to write code that is scalable.
>>
>>55851345
no dude, your life is over, no undergrad engineering program would ever accept a 22 year old with industry experience
>>
>>55851431
To be fair, it's an interesting thought exercise for someone learning
I think there was a more modular function that did that in SICP
>>
>>55851265

>an interesting thought exercise

If you think this is interesting..

public int Product(int a, int b) {
int result = 0;
while (a > 0) {
result += b;
a--;
}
return result;
}
>>
>>55851265
This looks like something any dumbass first year student would submit.
>>
>>55851265
so...
int product(int a, int b)
{
int result = 0;
while (b--)
result += a;
return result;
}

???
>>
>>55851673
Pretty much. It could be a joke, but I remember a question write an algorithm to move a block to all corners of a square grid in a logic class being answered with

>move forward
>move forward
>more forward
>move forward
>turn right
>move forward
>move forward
>more forward
>move forward
>turn right
>move forward
>move forward
>more forward
>move forward

So you never know.
>>
>>55851345
Do you have a degree in CS already? If so just go to graduate school for something CS related, like computer vision, machine learning, etc.

The job market for EE and CpEs is shit compared to CS jobs; the pay difference much at all from what I hear though. I just switched from CpE to Math + CS since what you really get out of CpE is just embedded hardware development and I wanted to focus on algorithms and applied math.
>>
>>55851462
Reminded me of this
>>
>>55851174
the more you unlearn math the better webdev you are.
>>
>>55852543
what the fuck
>>
>>55852271
EE job market is shit if you have no willingness to move away from your city or region. Also all those boomer EE areretiring now.
>>
>>55852712
The point is that you have more freedom when it comes to choosing where you live. Not to mention, CS jobs typically pay more.
>>
>>55852543
( a > b && b < a)
just why
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.