[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old iMacs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 31FXQFIPzeL.jpg (15KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
31FXQFIPzeL.jpg
15KB, 500x300px
G5 and Core 2 duo iMacs are dirt cheap where I live, should I get one for college work and shitposting? any recommendations [spoiler]aside from killing myself and installing gentoo[/spoiler]?
>>
How much do they cost?
>>
>>55851250
they cost around $130-$180 (core2duo 2007-08)
>>
>>55851163
Either would be good enough for shitposting and running Office, G5s will actually probably have better support than early Core 2 boxes due to the hobbyist community still developing software for them.

I wouldn't pay more than $70-$80 for one, though. They've got life in them, but they're still ancient.
>>
Old macs are useless since you cant upgrade anything besides ram and no games. Might as well just buy a chromebook.
>>
>>55852809
You should try only posting when you know what you're talking about. My iMac's got upgrade RAM and upgraded from an HDD to an SSD, I can also upgrade the GPU, CPU, etc.
>>
>>55851163
don't go with the latest OS. stick to the earlier version or it will run like shit
>>
>>55851163
shit gets hot like fire, screen goes bad with all the extra heat.

>>55852873
capitan works better for older hardware.
>>
>>55852809
>games
>mac
Come on, he said he wanted to shitpost and work
>>
File: IMacG5guts.png (1MB, 1054x831px)
IMacG5guts.png
1MB, 1054x831px
>>55852809
Are you one of those mouth-breathers that think chipping up the CPU on your ancient, shitty mainboard is actually a useful upgrade?

Besides, the MBA isn't the only thing they make.
>>
Can i use photoshop on one of those?
>>
>>55855265
Nope. No CAD either.
>>
>>55855265
Yes

>>55855304
But that's wrong, you fucking moron.
>>
>>55851318
i got my dad an early 08 imac and put in an ssd. its pretty damn fast with 3gb ram. my dad only plays flash video (HBO go), reads news and writes in a word processor so it exceeds what he needs. they'll be supported for another couple of years with security updates (10 years of software support) so you're good on that front. just make sure you get an ssd. ram isn't the most important thing if you do simple shit.
>>
>>55852809
vintage macs represent the pinnacle of design at the time of their production. there's more to a computer than what's inside. you could argue vintage macs take into account things that other manufacturers don't even pay attention to today. for example, trackpads from portable macs in the early 2000s still beat windows trackpads today. it's about the philosophy behind the hardware and software package. if you can't appreciate them, i feel sorry for you, but don't comment on things you don't understand.
>>
>>55851250
>>55851318
>>55855382
I'm using a 2008 iMac right now. It's an awesome machine, will probably be my dd for another few years. Keep in mind Apple just dropped support for it though, El Capitan's the last OS X version to officially support it.
>>
>>55855327
>But that's wrong
No photoshop, no games. My bad.
>>
>>55855539
That's even more wrong. How retarded are you?
>>
>>55855547
>How retarded are you?
Persistant trolling is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.