[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Programming old

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 13

File: Cranky-Old-Man.jpg (87KB, 960x722px) Image search: [Google]
Cranky-Old-Man.jpg
87KB, 960x722px
Is it ever too late to start programming? I'm 25 and keep hearing about 9 year olds coding and it makes me feel like there's no hope.
>>
Nope. Stop shitposting and start learning. learn-c.org or codeacademy is a good start
>>
>falling for the "learning is more difficult the older you are" meme
>>
python for total beginners?
>>
Not OP.
Asking for something a bit more advanced, as I know python basic, javascript basic, c# basic, but my code looks very different (and under-engineered) from the useful things i browse on github.
>>
>>55846949
>49▶
>CODEACADEMY

xD NICE MEME FRIENDO
>>
>>55846949
what if you're 53? is that too late, or should one one of that age just keep shit-posting?
>>
If I go for a software engineering degree now at 25, i'll be 29 when I graduate. Why would people employ a 29 year old when 22 year olds are available?
>>
>>55847154
They wouldn't, at 29 you're supposed to have at least 10 years of experience. Nobody is going to hire a 30 year old for a junior position.

Pick some other field like burger flipping or floor cleaning, friendo.
>>
>>55847154
>Why would people employ a 29 year old when 22 year olds are available?
22 year olds are idiots.
I should know, I used to be one.
>>
>>55846987
This. It usually only applies to basic shit such as language
>>
>>55847079
>but my code looks very different (and under-engineered) from the useful things i browse on github.
Obviously. The techniques you need to use change as the order of magnitude of lines of code increases. Eg
20 lines: all in ine function is ok
200 lines: need to have multiple functions
2000 lines: need multiple files
Etc. it breaks down into depending on the language and environment here.

>>55847111
It's not too late but it will be much harder for you. Imagine learning abstract algebra at 40 instead of 20, after having been out of the game of 20 years.

>>55847353
Funny. I've seen people double that age hired for junior positions at several companies I've worked for.
>>
>>55846839
Is it ever too late to start French? I'm 25 and keep hearing about 3 year olds speaking French and it makes me feel like there's no hope.
>>
I could come over to your house and give you a full course lesson about programming everyday. All I want in return is a blowjob
>>
>>55847420
>I've seen people double that age hired for junior positions at several companies I've worked for.
>shit that I pulled out of my ass: the post
>>
>>55847420
It's not that hard. You must first start with the pre-requisites to abstract algebra then work your way up to abstract algebra.
>>
>>55847429
Believe what you want. There's little reason not to if the salary is the same and the ability is there.
>>
>>55847429
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>55847154

why wouldnt they? most people switch companies every 2-4 years, so why would they care about your age?

when i started i got a job offer which included a clause to not be able to fuck off after 2 years in the contract.
>>
>>55847434
I'm not saying its hard. I'm saying its harder at 40 after having been out of school for such a long time relative to being 20 and fresh off a lower div lin algebra course.
>>
>>55847439
The reason not to is to hire much younger personnel who would work for much less and who also don't have a family, unless the 30 yo in question is an autistic virgin.
>>
>>55847445
That's actually not legal in the US. Better yet, that one clause would render the entire contract void.
>>
>>55847456
Why does it matter if the salary and expectations are the same? Also FYI it's illegal to discriminate on things like age/family. It definitely happens but if you get laid off and replaced by a younger employee you often have a good case.
>>
>>55847468

I'm not murrican, so there's that.

But my point still stands, Companies invest a lot of money in Training new Employees, so they dont want to be a part of a hit & run.
>>
>>55847482
Expectations for a 30 yo are not the same as the ones for the fresh out of college 20 year olds.
>it's illegal to discriminate on things like age/family
Nobody really cares if it's illegal, they don't have to justify their rejecting of your applications.
>>
>>55847455
So do linear algebra first. Problem solved.
>>
>>55847096
What do you mean? Us CA bad?
>>
You are not too old; you are a big fat baby.

Pinhead.
>>
>>55847544
The expectations are what the paygrade is.
>>
>>55846839
programming is pretty easy and doesn't take very long to learn. programmers are mostly just average intelligence people who think they are smart for having a learned skill most people don't. if you are intelligent you will pick it up fast and actually stand out as well in no time
>>
>>55847111
>what if you're 53? is that too late, or should one one of that age just keep shit-posting?
At the birth of any field, there are plenty of people from diverse ages and backgrounds coming in to contribute.

At the birth of digital computing, there were probably people that old taking it up.

It's only too late if you're dead, and maybe medical science will even break down that barrier one day. #NoLivesMatter #Deathversity #BreakGlassTombstones
>>
>>55847604
The expectations for a 20 year old are to work full time, not having to support a family and completely concentrate on the job. The expectations for a 30 year old are to have 10 years of experience, a family and other responsibilities, family can be offset with experience. A 30 year old has neither, so he's on the losing side of it. Personally I would never hire a 30 year old for a junior position, that simply means the person has no idea what they want by trying different things until their turn 30 just to realize they've never had a steady career. Such people are irresponsible and don't belong in any respectable company, I'm sorry if the truth hurts your feelings.
>>
>>55847679
What a sad world we live in.
>>
>>55847679
your post is a huge exaggeration of reality
>>
>>55847733
If you don't want to get PTSD, never leave your mommy's basement and stick to watching anime and MLP.
>>
>>55847679
>the expectations of 30 year old are...

Stopped reading. Kill yourself.
>>
>>55847761
>buttblasted 30-yo
top kek
>>
>>55847583
Some courses are premium only. They have a cheeky way of putting unacessable lessons into the free courses so you're limmited to what you can learn.
>>
>>55847772
You have a shitty personality and outlook on a world. Keep projecting though.
>>
>>55847797
>You have a shitty personality and outlook on a world
That's not shitty, it's called being real. The real world is harsh, again I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings, but nobody cares about them.
>>
>>55847679

You're indoctrinated from the whole corporate and compartmentalized thought process, I used to think like this but got fortunately into retirement grade cash before the age of 30 and it blew my mind because of how meaningless everything was, only experience counts.

>>55846839

As long as you do whatever you're doing with dedication and not just for the pay, it's worth doing; as for coding, it's the language of a new industrial revolution, industry 4.0; it's fair to say, it's a per-requisite of our generation.

This is going to sound cliché, but try doing what you love and success will follow in someway. Work hard, have faith in yourself and don't get distracted. God helps those who help themselves.
>>
>>55847884
Best post.
>>
>>55846839
Is 25 too old to advance as a person and learn new things?
>>
>>55847154
Demand, a great interview , better qualifications.
>>
>>55847353
Youre an idiot.
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 200x200px
>>55847429
>>
>>55847455
It's still relative to the person. Not everyone that's not in school sits in their ass watching TV. Some self teach to a lesser or further extent.
>>
I started seriously programming at 23. I'm 25 now. During rankings for layoffs, I was ranked #1 most valuable employee.
>>
>>55847679
Wow, are you really this stupid? You really think it's a bad thing to try different paths? That's the best way to find what you are a best fit for. Many people who are in the same careers since early twenties are miserable and want to do something else but can't because of family and mortgage.
>>
>>55847772
>>55847679
>>55847353

I noticed young guys like you who wear their youth on their sleeves are usually losers with youth being their only benefit.
>>
>>55847822
You keep saying its "real " but it's not. I speak from experience. It's called changing career paths idiot. People do it all the time. Then you keep saying sorry if it hurts like you actually know what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
>>55847412
>basic shit such as language
I.e. programming language
>>
>>55848402
Nice arguments, dumbass.
>>
>>55848528
Top kek, nobody is going to care about your 10+ years of experience as a burger flipping monkey or a welder even if you're applying to a tech job where experience is everything, this might work for a web dev monkey, but no the systems stuff, not even usual desktop development.
>>
>>55846839
he looks like snoke
>>
>>55846839
it's not too late. I know several people that started around that age and they are better than several people that started when they were like 12, even after only 1 year of programming.
>>
>>55847791
Still a good starting point though.
>>
>>55847154
you only list when you started degree and ended
they would never know your age

you can't tell a 22 year old or 29 year old apart anyway
>>
File: 1467140019821.gif (1001KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1467140019821.gif
1001KB, 640x480px
>>55849008
keep projecting pal, i'm sure it feels very gud
>>
>>55846839
If you have not mastered machine code by the time you are 12 weeks in the womb, there is no hope for you.
>>
>>55848854
false
most programming languages have a handful of keywords
>>
Nobody is going to hire a 30-year old junior developer in any capacity.

Developers are forcefully aged out of the industry by age 40 because middle management just assumes that nobody enjoys programming and everyone aspires to join management.
If you're 35+ and you haven't become a project lead dev or a manager, you're the first to go when layoffs come around.
>>
>>55849498
somewhat true, especially evident in Switzerland where most job ads literally outline "the expected age of an applicant for this position is 20-45"
>>
>>55847679
Will it hurt your feelings to say you are truly retarded?
>>
>>55849460
>projecting
You keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.
>>55849533
If you provide arguments as to why I am retarded.
>>
>>55849479
>12 weeks in the womb

only if you are a looser :^)
normal people do it in 6 weeks
>>
>>55849571
Pros learn programming while their daddies are still inside their granddaddies.
>>
>G.W. Leibniz is generally considered, along with Isaac Newton, as a cofounder of the differential and integral Calculus. For this reason Leibniz's achievements are often compared to that of his subsequent rival from England. It can be said with almost complete certainty that he did not have the raw mathematical skill that Newton possessed. Furthermore, Leibniz, who was a few years younger than Newton, had very little formal education or experience in the subject. In fact he had virtually no background in Algebra or Geometry when he arrived in Paris on a diplomatic post at the relatively developed age of 24.
>In fact he had virtually no background in Algebra or Geometry when he arrived in Paris on a diplomatic post at the relatively developed age of 24.

If he can co-invent Calculus after being ignorant of Algebra for 24 years of his life, you can learn how to write a few "IF DIS.... DO DIS..." statements with slight jargon.
>>
>>55846839
yea if you start later than 12 years old there is no way you'll ever fill the gap. There are 21 year olds right now finishing college that have 10 years of experience under their belt. What are you gonna do gramps?
>>
>>55849570
Previous anons have already done so. You outed yourself as being a shut-in autist claiming to know how the world works when people make career changes constantly, even in coding. Whether it be a startup, a company in transition, or just being short up on programmers, there are always reasons to hire more programmers, especially in this kind of industry where results and the code speak for everythjng, regardless of the programmer's age etc
>>
>>55849607
>21 year olds right now finishing college that have 10 years of experience
l m a o
where? what experience? making geocities pages or designing their tumblrs with premade css?
>>
>>55849609
>career changes constantly, even in coding
I never said anything about career changes in the IT industry, that's logical and acceptable to have experience in IT and transition into some other IT position, but that's still within the industry, nobody is going to hire a 30 yo Joe off the street with no programming experience for a junior position, there are of course exceptions, but they can only happen if the company is heavily understaffed and doesn't have a shitload of job applications with every 20-yo knowing all mainstream languages and frameworks with maybe even internship somewhere competing for the job.

Do you really think an employer would rather hire a 30-yo nobody with 0 experience in IT rather than a 20-yo with 2 years of experience, having a shitload of personal projects and who has exhibited the same and even better programming ability as the 30-yo nobody by solving all the interview tests?
>>
>>55847583
it's terrible.
>>
>>55849609
This. There is no bias if an individual's output speaks for itself. Anybody who believes otherwise probably has been sold on going to school and it guaranteeing a job. It doesn't at all, as we see in countless shitposts. And honestly, if your softskills that you display in the interview process don't work with the company then move on.
>>
>>55849643
>Geocities
Lol, nah man MySpace themes.
>>
>>55849718
>do you really think

Not him but often my super will go along on the interviews for older guys to see if they get along/learn more about their previous careers to see if they will bring something different to whatever team they are hiring for.

There are advantages to not just hiring assembly-lined 20 year olds who are all more or less the same.

But all of this is likely to fall in deaf ears because you have shown that you do not change your opinions, nor even entertain foreign ones when presented with rational discourse. Sorry if it hurts your feelings but you are the exact type of person that does not make it here
>>
>>55846839

I'll let you in on a secret: most programmers suck.

I'm a sysadmin, but I have to support code/services written by our programming department - they're mostly terrible. I even have to write my own software to check that they're working and restart them until they do.
>>
>>55849718
im not sure where you live that either there are so little companys hiring for these positions or so many qualified graduates freely available that the market would overflow with them.

and this is not meant as a snide remark, cause where I'm based the opposite is true. I hold two masters degrees, one in a non technical field, which I completed first, and one in a technical field and I didn't have any issue picking a job around where I live finishing school at 28.
>>
>>55849596
yeah but he was literally like 200 iq
>>
>>55849718
This is shit thinking. If you believe that any benefits given to you by being young will last you forever then you're as bad as a typical Stacey turn roastie. There will be a day when you're no longer young and in demand and your experience will be shit. Just like actionscript in 2016.
>>
>>55849865
>There are advantages to not just hiring assembly-lined 20 year olds
Only if the 30-yo in question knows the domain and can provide insight into particular non-programming issues, the obvious advantage to hiring a 20-yo is because he's younger and can thus work much longer, because by the time the younger one retires, the older one will be long dead.
>>
>>55849935
>Stacey turn roastie
What?
>>
>>55849963
are we talking a 30 year age difference or a 5 year age difference at this point? Cause I feel you can't just claim it's all the same.
>>
>>55849977
We're talking 7-10 year difference.
>>
Once you're 30, nobody will hire you because they think your knowledge is obsolete.
>>
>>55849963
>>55849993
They don't ever stay longer than 10 years anyway. Besides the initial cost to get the employee working productively is offset by the employees effectiveness within a month so who cares. Keep the system well documented and there is no problem

My point is that we have hired 50 year olds with 5 years experience and regularly hire 30 year olds over high school grads
>>
>>55849972
A hot girl who ages like milk.
>>
I was an unemployed, 27 years old fatass with no CS degree, and now I am a Senior Dynamics Ax programmer. I know is not 'real haxxor programming', but I thought I would never know how to even work with objects, and now I am better than many engineers in my company. Shit now I'm a project leader.

Instead of failing to learn again and again, search a motivation. Ideas, money... Whatever.
>>
>>55849747
>>55847096
What alternatives are there? For example, wheres a good place to learn web development?
>>
>>55850195
coding bootcamp
>>
Stop asking questions tgat make you procrastinate. Just do it. If you want to become a code monkey at 50, just do it. If you want to become an MD, just do it. If you want to learn how to tie your shoelaces, start learning. Do it.
>>
>>55850195
I know its a terrible meme, but with everything coding related the best advice I ever got was to find something you want to build and then try to dig up how to. I know this is the cookie cutter shit tier advice everyone and their mother hands out, but there is some truth to it, cause it gives you direction beyond the absolute basics and those are easy to come by.

I started out with some really basic stuff on how to program, writing the usual hello world and basic loops and what not. My biggest step afterwards was actually going through algorithm books and online courseware / videos to learn how shit gets done and how you think algorithmically.

From there on got a good idea of what I wanna try out and just went right into trying something I wanted to build and digging through tutorials for specific libraries in the language of my choice to help me along the way.

I started in October last year and I'm honest to god amazed at how much progress I made in a short amount of time.
>>
>>55846839
yes. it is too late for you. go kill yourself.
>>
>>55846839

Never too late, but being a pure programmer nowadays is getting harder -- you'll need another skill you can leverage along with your programming knowledge.
>>
>>55846839
Look up Derek Banas on you tube.

He has decent tutorials on various languages and software development.

Well either you watch him or guys from Mumbai.
>>
>>55850576
How would you define that other skill alongside? Being a pure code monkey is indeed shit, but I'm curious how you'd define that extra skill.

I got into programming coming from a Linguistics background and work in natural language processing and information retrieval now. I'd say I got super lucky getting into a narrower field from the start, cause it helped me get some direction on what to work on.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1469984308385.jpg (28KB, 479x421px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1469984308385.jpg
28KB, 479x421px
>>55850631
I think he meant something like being able to manage a decent size project by yourself.

So if you start a database manager program which manages multiple databases inside its database, so an item of the program's database is actually an off site database where you can run different operations, you won't just finish but making serious design plans for it.

Or just be very hyped about studying new things.
>>
>>55847353
I work at a large company and we hire a ton of new college graduates in their late 20's through mid 30's for software dev positions. Typically starting 60-65k (Phoenix, AZ).
>>
>>55850923
Not everyone lives in America, famalam.
>>
>>55848854
Programming is far more like math than a real language since it's all just variables and functions.
>>
>>55850948
I work for a local office of Nokia and I just got hired during my internship. They hire a lot of ppl.
(Junior: $1200/month) [Szeged, Hungary]
>>
>>55847679
>recruiter thinking he is in a position of power

good thing your hypothetical company is just one out of trillions of options for people with a degree in IT.
>>
>>55847679
>t. 18 year old shit head who thinks he is the shit and on the fasttrack of life
Here is a news flash, kiddo: life isnt as easy or predictable as you make it or wish it to be. Most people dont know shot what they want in life until they hit early twenties or early thirties.
>>
>>55850997
I work for a local office of ayyLmao INC and I just got hired during my internship. They hire a lot of ppl. (Junior: $1200/month) [Mars, Solar system]
>>
>>55851011
That works if you have money to move out of your ghetto area and pay rent in some other place. Nobody has equal opportunities to get a good job.
>>
>>55846839

I started at 25. I'm 27 and am one of the best devs in my company of ~100.
>>
>>55850216
literal soccer mom autist conferences
>>
File: 1468499237399.jpg (59KB, 675x450px) Image search: [Google]
1468499237399.jpg
59KB, 675x450px
>>55847679
kys
>>
>>55849008
If you have to force yourself to believe this then go right ahead, have fun. Im done.
>>
>>55851029
This.
>>
>>55846839
Programming is literally a trivial skill.
>>
>>55852374
Agreed, people make it seem like it's this skill you need the IQ of Einstein to full understand, it's easy. The advantage of maturity is also going to come in handy in terms of buckling down and learning as much as possible.
>>
>>55847679
What is this HR drone doing on my /g/?
>>
>>55849718
> 30-yo nobody with 0 experience in IT rather than a 20-yo with 2 years of experience
Where did you get the 2 years of experience from? You realize the 30 year old can also have experience and the 20 year old can have jack shit.
>>
>>55851058
> 100 gardeners
>>
>>55852443
He pretends to be a HR drone in his off time, no HR drone worth his peanuts would speak like that.
>>
>>55852490
The amount of companies that need programmers is starting to exceed the programmers themselves soo
>>
File: 1458232885600.jpg (6KB, 227x225px) Image search: [Google]
1458232885600.jpg
6KB, 227x225px
>>55847679
>I'm sorry if the truth hurts your feelings.

What a crazy world you live in anon. I am jealous that things are so clear cut for everyone in it. Interesting ideas though, I would have never considered that everyone would have a family by 30.

You must be a joy to work with/at parties.
>>
>>55847679
You are from Europe, right? Here in Europe work is not a commodity that you trade. Work is a charity.
>>
>>55846839

Wrote my first lines of code when I was 22. Working on my PhD now.
>>
File: 1467313800491.jpg (70KB, 992x661px) Image search: [Google]
1467313800491.jpg
70KB, 992x661px
>>55852498
faith in humanity restored
>>
>>55852672
You started when you were 22 which means you'd have 8 years of experience by 30, the back and forth here is about 30 year olds with 0 experience.
>>
Notch didn't make Minecraft until he was how old again? Also he's a notoriously bad programmer
>>
>>55852788

I'm 27 and started at uni at 23 with no relevant experience. Funny how I got better than all the natural born coders
>>
>>55852451
That experience most likely is irrelevant unless it's domain relevant as I've already said, retard.

It's just like someone who's been a pizza delivery boy for the pas 30 years suddenly decides to become an architecture, so his experience being a pizza delivery boy would not be relevant in the line of work of an architecture. If it was a taxi driver trying to get a job as a long haul truck driver, or a pizza delivery boy trying to get a job as a taxi driver then his experience would be at least semi relevant.
>>
25 is too late to start, you'really never going to catch up to your peers who started 10 years ago.
>>
>>55854246
>catching up
literally what does that mean in this context you retard
you don't "catch up" to a job
>>
>>55854246
You're* autocorrect
>>
>>55854275
If you want a good job as a senior developmer your not going to stand a chance against a younger and more experienced coder, simple as that.
>>
ITT: people with no experience shit on each other for having no experience
>>
>>55854346
I'm amazed you could tell peoples programming experiencell by an anonymous post they made on a Imageboard.
>>
>>55853293
If you don't mind me asking what tips would you have for a beginner programmer? How did you get better?
>>
>>55848854
the only real difference with children and language learning is that they do better at the phonology aspect. besides that they are not better.
>>
>>55846839
Do you have any other skills? Programming is piss-easy to pick up at an age, but it's only a tiny part of an engineer's skill set, and pretty useless by itself.
>>
>>55854826
I'm good at abstract thinking in terms of art, very creative. I hope that can translate over to out of the box thinking for coding but I'm not too sure of that, they're accessing completely different parts of the brain.
>>
>>55855277
> TL;DR artfag wants to be programmer
LOL
>>
Is 19 too old? I wanted to learn programming when I was younger but got bored. I'm more disciplined now and am a half-NEET (only go outside to study in college a few days a week). Programming seems interesting but I'm worried by the time I'm finished it'll be too hard to get a job over Pajeet who works for $5/hr. I'd be putting ~4 hours a day into learning.
>>
>>55855656
Don't listen to the people who say you're too old, just do it
>>
>>55849596
>using if statement, ever
>>
>>55847353

Sadly there's someone who's listened to advice like this in their life before.
>>
>>55848385

No once you hit 25, you're in the twilight of your life. Might as well already be collecting a pension by then.
>>
>>55855656
too old, all those wiz kids would already have 10 years of experience
>>
>>55854296

This is by far the dumbest mentality anyone could ever have. There will always be someone out there better than you, choosing not to start because of this stupid mentality is why most people never progress in life.

>Why should I bother learning piano? There's a 5 year old Asian kid who can play Mozart's 1st with his eyes closed ;_;

Literal idiot.
>>
>>55846839
Nah, it's not. I think the biggest reason why it's "harder" for older people to learn new things is because older people tend to have responsibilities (full time job, family to take care of, household to manage) and less energy since most people let their bodies go to shit after their teen years, in addition to being tired from all the things I previously mentioned. On the other hand, children and teenagers tend to have lots of free time since in most cases, their only pressing responsibility is to not fuck up in middle/high school, which lets be honest is a complete joke, at least in the US.

As long as you are good at time management and disciplined enough to keep at it, I think you can still do it.
>>
>>55855656

>Already blaming imaginary Indians for your inept laziness

Amazing
>>
>>55846839
You'll be absolutely fine. Either you can start by jumping into a low level programming language but considering you don't seem dedicated you'll burn out. If you do, C Primer Plus is good at teaching the basics as well as the lower level stuff early on. Otherwise you could start with a higher level language like Python or even Java, I recommend eventually going to C though because it's really good to learn memory management, allocation, etc.
>>
>>55846839
I didn't read the thread, but I can give my personal experience. I started learning how to program at 26 and now (28) I have a somewhat stable job at a medium sized company
>>
>>55850923
What's it called? I'm a new grad in the area looking for a job.
>>
>>55855914
>hurr ur dum bro
>durr ur an idiot
Just fuck off please.
>>
>>55846839
It really matters how familiar you are with computers beforehand. Loops, 1's and 0's, etc. If you already think well with computers then it shouldn't be too hard to pick up..

But if you have no clue what an if or while loop is and struggle with learning them then you're fucked.
>>
>>55851031
fuck you
>>
>>55855277
Being creative at art is probably a hindrance rather than a good thing since your brain is wired differently
>>
>>55854296
Companies don't higher software devs based on age. Your experience and skill is what matters. Do you think every single job will have a stunning 19 year old boy who's fresh out of early college scholarships and graduated in CS? Of course not. He can just continue to apply and work his way up to the software dev title. It doesn't matter if there are people ahead of them, there are always people ahead of you.
>>
>>55855970
Took you 6 hours to write that, dipshit.
>lol
>>
>>55855950

Nice retort. Didn't expect anything less from a katana wielding edge lord.
>>
>>55856002
I'm not him, clown.
>>
File: 1468974545527.jpg (34KB, 493x533px) Image search: [Google]
1468974545527.jpg
34KB, 493x533px
>>55847679
good job frustrating so many asshurts
i love posts like this
>>
>>55856017

So why are you even replying you idiot?
>>
>>55855954
This, probs best advice itt this thread. If you're a gaymer that helps his mom out with their computer viruses at 25 you're probably not going to be able to "think computer", as cringeworthy as that sounds. But if you can actually begin grasp concepts of compilers, bytecode, memory and CPU relationships, and why we actually use binary, you'd have potential.
>>
>>55856032
Because I can.
>>
>>55856024
Thanks, senpai. Have a (You).
>>
>>55855954
I know that loops continue to function until a certain criteria is met, and I get the basics of counting in binary. Do I have a chance?
>>
>>55846839
the 9 year olds usually suck ass. so no, it's not to late from that perspective.
>>
>>55856056
you're welcome
>>
>>55855989
Is anyone here good at both art and programming here? whats your opinion on this?
>>
>>55855277
Sorry desu but that's probably not gonna happen. Thinking outside of the box doesn't mean what it means in programming. Overcoming problems in your code means sticking to logic, structure, algorithms and resource management. Something art is not burdened by. Not saying you'll never learn, but imo there are two kinds of brains, and one of them has art while the other has programming.
>>
File: 2Q==.jpg (12KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
2Q==.jpg
12KB, 275x183px
>>55856168

>You can't be an engineer and also an artist

LOVE this meme.
>>
>>55855930
Thanks for the honest response. Obviously I haven't experienced anything like that but I've read programmers on /g/ talking about it. Is it not a problem for those who avoid laziness and put themselves out there by meeting others and working hard?
>>
>>55856244
Did you even read my post lmao

>Not saying you'll never learn

No need to be insecure anon, enough practise and you can get anywhere. But I believe everyone is naturally advantaged, sometimes gifted, at either one or the other.
>>
>>55856244
>>55856306
Michaelangelo is a rare case and I haven't seen any programmers who are good at art. Neither have I seen an artist who's good at programming.
>>
>>55847679
t. HR recruiter

Not even joking.
>>
>>55854600
>phonology
This. Adult learners are faster and vocabulary and grammar.
>>
>>55847679
I have a friend who's a CHRO in a ~200 person company. He's expressed this opinion to me before.
>>
>>55849895
It's more than simply programmers. It's about design, management, crunch time and a million other factors. The better thing to say here is not everyone is a *genius* programmer with unlimited resources and time.

Some times I wonder about these threads, does anyone here even work in the industry. I've seen people get into it at 40.

>>55854246
To be quite honest with you, it only takes 10 years to get as far as you can go. From there you have to make your own business or just stand on the ceiling. Unless you're completely inept and stay a code monkey your whole life, or stay with shitty companies.
>>
>>55848854
>comparing a very simple, designed language where the semantics of the APIs are mostly obvious with a natural, endlessly big, organically growing language spoken by illogical human garbage where the semantic of each word must be known ahead
>>
>>55847154
If you're good, I don't care about your age. In fact, older you are, the more mature you are.

Just don't ask for a senior position just because you have been doing _some other_ job for x number of years.
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 480x270px
>>55854826
>engineer
>>
>>55847679
This is just bait. There's no other way to describe this post.
>>
>>55856491
Are you saying it takes 10 years to cap your programming knowledge?
>>
>>55847679
valid point but not the rule
>>
>>55857078
No. I was talking more position/pay wise.

Your knowledge will always be growing, but after 10 years that isn't really the most relevant part of the job. It's more like, perfecting something you can already do well. It's just not relevant to the entire conversation here.
>>
>>55855656
The US is full of software engineering jobs. You barely graduated high school at 19, you are where most kids start college and where most people dedicate themselves to shit like this.

Please tell me this is a troll post I'm losing my mind. I never even used GNU/Linux until I was in college.
>>
It is really hard to tell apart the people trolling and being sincere in this thread. It looks like there's a good mix of "go for it" or "you're doomed".
>>
>>55857313
You're as doomed as you think you will be, you're asking for advice on this shithole.
>>
File: 1469666022802.gif (407KB, 535x480px) Image search: [Google]
1469666022802.gif
407KB, 535x480px
>>55846839
Get off /g/ and devote yourself to it. You know the answer to this question, but you are here procrastinating and fishing for validation.
>>
>>55849747
It's a very nice warmup and provides decent documentation

But I guess you're too cool for that shit
>>
Learning to program and getting a successful career in programming are two different things, the job market is ageist.
>>
>>55858008
Not against 25 or even 30 year olds it isn't.

t. employee of a company you've heard of
>>
>>55858111

give us a hint, microsoft?
>>
>>55858327
It isn't Microsoft, but the median age at companies such as that will skew towards 30 or a bit older.
>>
>>55858359
Apple
Google
Mozilla
Facebook
Blizzard
>>
>>55847679
You know why this comment got so many replies? Because everyone knows its true, even if it hurts.
>>
File: pan.jpg (62KB, 640x741px) Image search: [Google]
pan.jpg
62KB, 640x741px
>>55857291
Not a troll, just lost/uninformed/trying to figure out what I want to do. Thanks for the response, much appreciated.
>>
>>55856244
Seriously is there anyone on this board that is both artistically creative and a good programmer? It seems like it's a one or the other thing.
>>
Protip: Being good at programming or even a good employee doesn't guarantee you will be promoted into a good position.

Chad the corporate ass licker who takes credit for other people's work will make it to manager before you, even though he barely understands what a pointer is.
>>
>>55859368
Seems like any other corporate field to me, nothing exclusive to being a programmer.
>>
>>55846839
no, i've had friends who went back to school for comp sci at the age of 50

Sounds like youre just making excuses to not do shit like a lazy faggot
>>
>>55846839
>I'm 25 and keep hearing about 9 year olds coding and it makes me feel like there's no hope.
You're 25. You're still a child.

>>55847353
>10 years of experience. Nobody is going to hire a 30 year old for a junior position.
Spoken like a child.

I decided to upend my life at 28 and pursue electrical engineering. I finished at 32, got an entry level position waiting for me after I graduated. A few promotions and company changes later, I became department lead of a very large consulting company, and made considerably over 100k, in about three years.

Still have that job now.

There's a myth in STEM that companies like hiring young people. That's false. Companies like hiring people that can deliver and are reliable.
>>
>>55859619
Your story's pretty inspiring. I needed that, thanks. Not OP btw
>>
I felt the same way when I started at 17 (25 now). It only takes 1 year to "get it" and actually understand the basics. Then another 1-2 years of hacking together dogshit until you realise just how fucking bad you are at programming. Then another 2-3 years to reach a decent competency level. Then about another year after that and you should be able to complete any task in any language (time-dependent on your familiarlty with the particular language)
>>
>>55859777

btw STEM companies like hiring people that are RELIABLE and easy to work with over all else (for the most part). It is easier to teach a novice than deal with an autistic.
>>
>>55847679
Why are you so butt hurt
>>
>>55855914
Hur dürr not that dumb bro
>>
>>55860174
It really isn't that dumb, it makes quite a lot of sense actually.
>>
>>55860098
He's not the one that's butthurt, it's the people replying to him that are. lol.
>>
>>55859569
it's amazing they still found the drive to do CS at 50. How did they do?
>>
>>55850576
Seems to me that if you know programming along with some other skill it can help you out. Coding is useful for automating tasks and solving problems, at least sometimes. Even if coding's not your primary job.
>>
>>55859619
This is 4chan. People don't make posts like this here, but I'm glad you did. Thanks man. I just started something similar at 27. Not a day goes by I don't worry about the negativity that I'll face as an older entry-level hire.
>>
>>55860782
I'd say his case is rare but It doesn't hurt to give it your best shot anyway!
>>
>>55849596
these stories are usually oversimplified
>>
>>55846839
Yes go do something else
>>
>>55861377
not sure if serious
Thread posts: 212
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.