[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Left for 2 years, checked back in, /g/ is full of kids

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 6

File: Linux-Wallpaper-34.jpg (450KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Linux-Wallpaper-34.jpg
450KB, 1920x1080px
Literally how did this happen
Also:
>Pic related triggers /g/

>inb4 INSTALL GENTOO

Cringe thread I suppose
>>
>>55843527
That doesnt trigger me, I'm using it right now.

Trying to figure out why my HDD stopped mounting in samba.
>>
File: 7UWAgij.jpg (43KB, 600x478px) Image search: [Google]
7UWAgij.jpg
43KB, 600x478px
Shills took over the board.
Said shills started arguing with the whiny children, and the board slowed down.
Leave, there isn't much left.
>>
>>55843539
can your hdd go in spindown
>>55843560
is the IRC still ok at least?
>>
>>55843571
not sure, I haven't been there in a while
>>
Been here way longer than 2 years, people always shit on debian and say Ubuntu is better, and they always have.

Because its true.
>>
>>55843595
eh, I feel calling one distro shit is unfair

different distros serve different functions
>>
>>55843638
are you using a workstation?
is your software going to break without frozen packages?

no? then you dont need debian
>>
Nothing changed.
Even 4 years ago, /g/ was filled with /v/ and other consumerist retards.
I've noticed that the brand warring retards have gotten extremely rabid as of late, and the quality of posts have dropped significantly in favor of more memespouting.

I blame reddit.
>>
>>55843690
Wow, it's almost as if different distros serve different functions
>>
>>55843715
if you want to discuss your workstation you should
1. use your company slack channel
2. get a life

debian has no function for consumers
>>
>>55843527
I keep telling myself it's just the summerfags but

this summer has gone on too long I want off the ride please help
>>
>>55843690
Ya but sid and testing jus werk
>>
>>55843728
Debatable. For people who have no idea what they're doing and just need a solid web browsing machine, setting them up with debian is great. Turn on unattended upgrades and it'll never break and will stay secure forever.
>>
>>55843571
Figured it out, was a dead SATA cable, replaced it and it works.
>>
>>55843728
>slack
why does this even exist? irc has existed for nearly 30 years
>>
>>55843728
Okay
>>
>>55843728
>debian has no function for consumers
I literally use it for just about everything on my home server, why would you want anything but the most stable distro you can get?
>>
>>55843745
>just werks
>has restrictive freetard doctrine
>need to download wifi drivers

>>55843757
maybe but you could just use ubuntu LTS and have modern packages

>>55843773
UX and customer support
IRC needed a reboot

>>55843800
because RHEL is better for security and is the industry standard
>>
File: nevermemedriceisforkids.png (102KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
nevermemedriceisforkids.png
102KB, 1280x800px
>>55843757
This. That's exactly what I use it for on my laptop. Plus my hardware is ancient so it's more stable and less bloated.
>>
>>55843921
>maybe but you could just use ubuntu LTS and have modern packages
fairly certain people using debian as a rubber cell who don't know how to computer won't care about modern packages.
>>
>>55843921
>>has restrictive freetard doctrine

add the non-free repo? it takes two seconds
>>
>>55843921
are you seriously expecting someone to get a RHEL license for a home server
>>
>>55843971
how do you connect to your repo to download the wifi driver without wifi?

>>55843959
they will when outdated packages conflict with something else
I had firefox plugins no longer working on debian

>>55843985
www.centos.org
>>
>>55843991
>download the wifi driver without wifi
ethernet
>>
>>55844007
some new generations of laptops dont have ethernet
easier just to download the wifi driver onto a usb
or even easier just download ubuntu
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-27_22-49-05.png (132KB, 796x489px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-27_22-49-05.png
132KB, 796x489px
>>55843935
get on any level.
>>
>>55843707
>Nothing changed.
are you sure? there's definitely a much stronger memer presence now
every fucking thread has meme garbage, and there seems to be more and more people who post with absolutely no tech knowledge whatsoever
>>
>>55843991
>www.centos.org
And what about this is worth me completely moving my entire server over onto it?
>>
>>55844071
Unless you're making a test server prior to moving it to production on grown up red hat, there's absolutely no reason to use it.
>>
>>55844027
>plugging in usb stick
>too much effort

then id say youve got problems that go beyond your tech handicap

>>55844041
ha youtube even work on that thing?
>>
>>55844124
Right, so Debian it is then.
>>
>>55844127
>jumping through hoops for freetard puritans
>just werks
wew lad

>>55844071
its not worth it now but you should have installed centos when you set it up
>>
>>55844127
play everything in vlc.
this is a workstation, nothing but containers and shell.
>>
>>55844159
If it's not worth switching to from Debian then it isn't worth installing the first place. It doesn't sound like the learning curve is justifiable.
>>
Are you proud of your ignorance?

>>55843921
>need to download wifi drivers
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
>>
>>55844185
centos is RHEL without Red Hat.

if you're doing server shit with any interest of learning RHEL you should use CentOS.

http://community.redhat.com/centos-faq/
>>
>>55844185
If Hillary used Centos and followed the NSA RHEL hardening guide she probably wouldn't have been hacked. Debian is much more insecure

>>55844196
>implying i didn't know about that version
you have to click several obscure links to get to that
i guarantee you 99% of downloads are of the free edition
>>
>>55843527
Debian: linux for dummies
>>
>>55844240
My server isn't public facing, so I don't really care.
>>
>>55844240
Maybe Windows 10. would be more up your alley if you love non-free software so much.
>>
>>55844250
Is it connected to your router? If its not airgapped then its vulnerable from the internet

>>55844253
Nah ubuntu is fine for me, im just not a communist hippie
>>
File: 1320206771956.jpg (47KB, 429x381px) Image search: [Google]
1320206771956.jpg
47KB, 429x381px
>>55844275
Don't be stupid, if I was that worried about being hacked I wouldn't even connect my windows PC to the internet. And besides, I'm not Hillary Clinton, I'm just some random fuck with a home server.
All my LAN traffic is routed through a sonicwall, considering the amount of 30 dollar linksys shitters out there I'm sure I'm not gonna be the first to get buttfucked by 12 year old 'hackers'.
>>
this is probably for the stupid/newb questions but i was hoping you guys could help me, and i'll explain in as much detail i can even if most of it is obvious just for the sake of not leaving out information on the chance someone cares

to ssh using keys instead of login credentials onto my simple linux server on a raspberry pi, i created a ssh-2 RSA encrypted key that has a public and private key and put the public key on /theuser/.ssh/authorized_keys, which i had to create and gave the correct permissions to and used the private key for my client connecting to that server (which in this case is just putty)

now assuming i did everything correctly, that would mean it should work right? What would give an error "Server refused our key"? I've reset the service, the computer itself, done multiple reattempts, looked at /etc/ssh/sshd_config for anything that would intervene, im kind of just confused
>>
>>55844368
well did you copy the key to that server?

also putty requires some weird ass format, don't use it, install msys or cygwin and openssh on top of it
>>
>>55844383
yes, in the format that it should expect, and i've even seen if it was some encoding thing and dos2unix'ed it, tried without newline at the end, tried with a space at the end, etc etc
>>
>>55844368
make sure that ~/.ssh/authorized_keys is on the server then do this on the server:
chmod 700 ~/.ssh
chmod 600 ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
chown <user>:<user> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
should work after that
>>
>>55844421
if he had openssh i think there's even a command that automates it all

i think it's ssh-copy-id
>>
>>55844438
yeah it is but he said putty so i assumed he is on win
>>
>>55844455
there is a linux version for extreme masochists
>>
>>55844421
yeah, i've seen this finagling with permissions (and tried it again just now) but still no success, i also made sure to restart the service with

sudo service ssh restart

i read somewhere that even the permission of the user folder might need to be changed? do i need to do something like that too
>>
>>55844516
only matters for .ssh folder afaik
>>
>>55844159
>jumping through hoops
>wew lad
coming from someone running a distro that requires you to jump through hoops to run make

its like neutered linux

and yes the bait is tasty you non-free software using heathen
>>
>>55844516
what does your authorized_keys look like?
It should be one line with something like
ssh-rsa <key>
>>
>>55844242
Sure thing familia. Debian is a much comfier Arch that doesn't break itself and has a good installer.
>>
>>55844563
yep, just like that, "ssh-rsa AAAAB3..." all on one line, the key following all of that has no spaces in it
>>
File: Kuyashii.jpg (96KB, 525x295px) Image search: [Google]
Kuyashii.jpg
96KB, 525x295px
>>55843527
>Left for 2 years
You should have stayed out. /g/ is not even a carcass of its former self. I hate myself for not letting go. There are maybe one or two threads that are decent every two weeks and I hate it.
>>
>>55844200
>home server
>centos
Why don't we just use Windows xp too and windows 2000 servers? Who the fuck uses centos in 2016? What kind of shit breed millennial are you?
> I run a home server but I'm afraid of doing any work post installing a distro
Just kill yourself lmao. An operating system is not less valuable for requiring work post installation you fucking dips. It never has been. Momentary convenience doesn't beat long term convenience. There is no learning curve between rhel and debian. Anyone that thinks there is, isn't familiar with either. Why do you people talk like learning 10 shell commands is the equivant to learning polymorphic metamorphic design in asm? And furthermore are you aware centos is so fucking outdated and full of bugs that most large corporations do all of their testing as well as store their databases on debian? Oh and if you think the whole point of this post was to shit on rhel and centos just add 4chan to your firewall rules you underage shit.
>>
>>55844619
>There are maybe one or two threads that are decent every two weeks and I hate it.

If even that, these fucking millennials are such a cancer of a generation. Thankfully all the males are beta as fuck, so it's open season on their females.
>>
>>55843773
>it allows for more permanent record. History doesn't disappear because you turned off irc.
>Allows for better broadcasting.
>administration is easier
>easier to setup on multiple platforms. To my knowledge there isn't a single mobile/windows/linux/web interface to irc offering. You have to use different clients.

Also, I hate slack. Constant spam to my email because some dick "Good morning @channel"
>>
If you are over 25 and on 4chan you are a loser tbqh
>>
>>55844650
> underage shit
Read: has more chance to breed than you
>>
>>55844584
>debian
>arch
choose one
>>
>>55844868
b-but i was here first
>>
>>55844868
I-I'm a loser? I thought being here made me cool.
>>
>>55844650
Now I haven't used Debian Stable or CentOS/RHEL, so what are the advantages/disadvantages of each? Both are not bleeding edge and hence susceptible to security holes, but obviously you wouldn't want a bleeding edge server. Nonetheless I'm sure you can't go wrong with either, but please do elaborate. Also as another server option, how does openSUSE compare?
>>
why would the best OS in the world trigger me?
>>
>>55844868
If you are under 18 and on 4chan you should get out tbqh
>>
/g/ has ALWAYS been shit. Well, except when it was /g/uro.
>>
>>55843527
>Pretends /g/ was better 2 years ago

There are sightly more gpu threads now, and people freak the fuck out about it like this is the end. I've been here for 7 years, it was always shit. Literally every thread was OSX vs Windows vs GNU/Linux back in the day
>>
>>55844650
>Who the fuck uses centos in 2016?

My workplace does. All our computers are CentOS
>>
>>55843527
>Pic related triggers /g/
>the bistro that packages an alpha version of 0.AD and the broken, abandoned gnome-paint as stable software
If they don't even get this right, how can you trust them not to fail on more important packages?
>>
>>55848147
>CentOS
This, the actually stable bistro.
>>
/g/ never changes
>>
>>55848938
This, it already was shit-tier 2 years ago and became slightly better when OP left.
>>
>>55843527
It's summer you tard.
>>
>>55848953
>>55848938
I found /g/ via LinusTechTips forum.

I'm what you call super normie and "gaymer" but unlike you I go by the saying to each their own rather than hate on other peoples choices.
>>
>>55848971
>>55848962
>>55848953
Maybe this is my personal bias, but years ago, /g/ used to get worse when the Americans and Australians started coming online. Specifically around 3-4pm American time. Not sure if it was the Aussy NEETs or the American school kids shitposting, but the quality of the board would deprecate in an hour or two, and then pick back up as it got quieter.
>>
>>55848971
>but unlike you
>implying
>>
>>55849005
>says the tripfag
Gig (short for giggle)
>>
>>55849037
At least I wear my shitposting on my sleeve.
>>
>>55849044
What ever value that has (hint: not much)
Atleast you give people the option to filter you, will do that right now actually.
>>
>>55846239
Debian has a massive repository and to date probably the biggest. It's used by many people and has a ton of guides to get it doing exactly what you want. CentOS is stable. It's as stable as an OS can get. But it's also old. Really old and extremely lacking in drivers for new hardware, and shares many software comparability issues because of its age.
>>
>>55843527
with the QUALITY of your posting, you appear to just be one of them too
/g/ just gets consistently worse, even in 2009 it wasn't great but it was a lot more bearable
>>
>>55843527
>Literally how did this happen
peak traffic
you're 2 years older
>>
>>55843595
>everyone has my desktop special snowflake needs so everyone should use ubanto
>>
It's sitewide, not just /g/, now that 4chan is mainstream it's full of low attention span, meme spouting faggots including actual fucking kids. unfortunately none of the other chans (that I know of) are worth using
>>
>>55843527
Thank the increase in phoneposters. Summer. Children who feel the need to respond to threads even though they have nothing to say. I'm going to start grooming these kids and then extort them to install Windows 10 on their mother's microwave oven.

But generally, I guarantee it's the phones. And a 1337 haxxor TV show and girls can code and Indians. Especially Indians and chill runs on phones.
>>
>>55844868
This is called projection. Your kiddie conception of 4chan is not the same as the greybeard conception of the same. You could also apply your childish projections to practically anything you do. You'll understand when you mature, many years from now.
>>
>>55851108
>Thank the increase in phoneposters.
at least they're banning mobile IP ranges now
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.