[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

File: Ab_food_06.jpg (632KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Ab_food_06.jpg
632KB, 2048x1536px
why is the OS that uses the Linux kernel so often called Linux, when Linux is only the kernel and not the OS?
>>
>>55836534
Because "Linux" sounds cool
>>
>>55836578
i see
>>
>>55836534
Linux sounds cool, and is the most relevant part of the OS
>>
I'd like to interject etc. etc.
>>
>>55836609
why is it the most relevant part?
>>
>>55836632
cause no one gives a shit about the rest, they don't sound cool
>>
>>55836632
Because that's what all distros 100% share in common
>>
>>55836660
oh
>>
>>55836668
tfw 4chan encounters lagspike and i dont see your post
>>
>>55836668
That's not even true though
>>
>>55836691
tfw only 2 off from quads
>>
>>55836534
what else you're gonna call it? Not GNU because it's even less relevant part
>>
>>55836727
tru
>>
>>55836712
Alright enlighten me. My logic is that they have a version of the kernel (maybe with slight modifications) and core utils, but come with other tools and environments
>>
>>55836534
To instantiate flamewars.
>>
>>55836768
>flamewars
i have never such blatant truth in the history of /g/
>>
>>55836761
Besides different versions of the kernel, distros even might come with their own patches on top of different configurations.
>>
>>55836798
>blatant
They don’t call me “Captain Obvious” for nothing.
>>
OP here, tfw computer randomly shuts down and you almost lose the thread
>>
>>55836534
that's why I call it by the OS's actual name, GNU
>>
OP here, tfw computer crashes and you almost lose the thread
>>
OP here, tfw faggot
>>
>>55836911
What would you call Alpine Linux then? Or Stali?
>>
>>55837076
you would actually call those Linux since it uses no GNU whatsoever, but Alpine and Stali are unusable flaming piles of shit anyway.
>>
>>55836948
my comp crashed 2 times stfu
>>
>>55837142
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>55836534
Sorry, but I use GNU/Linux/systemd/GNOME/PulseAudio/X11/Firefox/Minecraft.
>>
>>55836534
Linux is the name of the kernel, yes
>>
>>55836534
Firstly because there's not really a name for the entire GNU/Linux/Systemd/... phenomenon, just for the distros. And those either have just their own name (Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora) or call it something with Linux (Archlinux, Linux Mint). There are a few that refer to GNU/Linux but those are a minority as well as the less popular ones and even there it isn't that obvious (there is Trisquel GNU/Linux and Parabola GNU/Linux for example but even those are mostly just called Trisquel and Parabola, even by their own devs).

To just add to it, GNU is important because it provides a lot, but not a single really impressive thing. (that's not to say that the GNU project as a whole is unimpressive though) Linux however, is this big important application that you end up building your system around.

Last but not least: calling it GNU/Linux is confusing to normies and makes you sound kinda goofy.
>>
>>55836534
I have a question too. Why did GNU never make their own kernel? I mean it started before Linux was popular, right? Possibly related question: What exactly was OSF/1?
>>
File: 1427237744.png (256KB, 500x414px) Image search: [Google]
1427237744.png
256KB, 500x414px
>>55836534
Because god emperor Linus said so.
>>
>>55836534
"Linux distribution" was a bit of a shorthand for an OS distribution with a (usually) mostly-GNU userland and a Linux kernel.

>>55839484
They did, or rather, are. It's called the Hurd. It runs on the Mach microkernel.

It has not been a rip-roaring success, to put it kindly.
>>
>>55836534
Because when I mention it to normies they only just understand what linux is never mind what the random off shoot I use is and I don't want to explain either.
>>
>>55839484
They never finished it, it was too complex and they just don't have enough people working on it.
>>
Because it's the relevant part. And nobody will ever call it gnu.

I swear you autistic fucks make me want to ditch Linux and install Windows simply to have less associations with you douchebags
>>
>>55836534
I'm using GNU/Linux/Arch/Pacman/*Insert list of all my installed packages*
>>
>this thread is still going on
>>
>What's a Linux distro?
>>
Because a Kernel is essentially an operating system; it manages memory and hardware components with with process and thread task scheduling.
>>
>>55840724
Essentially Linux distributions are just software layered on the Linux Kernel and the software shouldn't be defined as an operating system as it has nothing to do with hardware management. You wouldn't call your OS GNOME just because of it's GUI.
>>
>>55837124
No, Alpine is BusyBox / Linux whereas something like Ubuntu is GNU / Linux.
>>
>>55839484
The GNU kernel is called HURD, and I think it's been in development hell (though minimally usable now) for like a decade. The Linux kernel simply became available first and fit the needs of the GNU project, so the HURD became less of a priority.
>>
>>55840782
GUI is just a particular interface to the user, you still need the FUNCTIONALITY of userland applications to do anything useful with your computer.
>>
Because it's the common thread between any two distros. A Linux distro may have any number of different components, but the thing it will have in common is the Linux kernel.
>>
>>55836534
Pre-Script: I like linux, but following is generally true.

Linux distributions are basically just kernel + software that make it act like an OS. To call something an OS you need a base development like BSD. Linux distributions are usually a group of independent projects bundled together that can act like an OS in general understanding.

Post-Script: I neither favor BSD, but it is mostly true that BSDs are more OS than Linux distros.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.