[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rx 480 4gb vs 8gb

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: RX480_678x452.jpg (29KB, 678x429px) Image search: [Google]
RX480_678x452.jpg
29KB, 678x429px
Why bother going for an 8gb rx 480 when the difference is only a few frames? Is the 480 really powerful enough to make use of 8gb when games actually need it?

British here, so I'm looking at a £50 price gap between the two.
>>
>>55821447
Not really when you can make up those few frames just by overclocking the memory on the 4GB card, given that being 1GHz slower is the main performance bottleneck. The chips themselves overclock just as well. If you're gay men at 1080p, 4GB is still acceptable. Above that, perhaps not.
>>
>>55821483
Forgot to mention this, I'm playing at 1080p
>>
Because you can do more with a PC than gaming
>>
>>55822558
Anything you can do on a PC without a video card can also be done on a PC with a video card. It's like the extra USB or SATA ports on the back of you motherboard. Do you need all of them? Probably not. Do they get in the way of functionality that doesn't need them? No.
>>
It becomes more than a few frames when games are using more than 4GB
>>
>>55821447
i would probably try to buy the 199 rx480 if i have the chance

i wont waste more than 200 bucks in a fucking card
>>
>>55824268
>GPU compute
>CAD tasks
>>
afaik all 4gb cards are actually 8gb with a 4gb bios since it was cheaper to produce only 8gb cards instead of 8 and 4. just flash the bios for the 8gb and you're set. Read this a couple of places.
>>
>>55824699
sort of
the reference 4GB are 8GB cards with some modules disabled in the BIOS.
The custom 4GB cards are using slower ram rated at 7 GHz compared to 8 GHz ram on the custom 8 GB cards.
>>
>>55824699
I think this was only for the cards sent to reviewers and some of the first run of cards due to short supply of 4GB models.
I wouldn't guarantee getting an 8GB card if you get a 4GB reference.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.