[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can't decide which work laptop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 2001115811.jpg (2MB, 3300x2241px) Image search: [Google]
2001115811.jpg
2MB, 3300x2241px
Hi guys,

My current laptop for professional use can't keep up anymore and I've decided to get a new one.
Budget is around € 1.000 exclusive VAT.

My requirements are:

1) 15" or 17" screen, preferably 17" though (I also use a 27" external screen as second monitor)

2) Mobile i5 or i7 processor with multiple cores (HQ versions) of new generation

3) 8 GB or 16 GB RAM. I don't think it will matter now but 16 GB might increase lifespan as memory demand increases in the future

4) I know most professional laptops use built-in graphics but I've noticed that when you use dual HD screens and have a videoclip running on 1 screen and normal applications on the other screen the intel HD graphics get into trouble. So I would like to have a mid-range graphics card like a 950M or 960M

5) Has to have an SSD drive of at least 100gb. If m2 is really faster than the normal SSD's then of course preferably that version.

6) Has to have total capacity of at least 256gb but preferably twice that or more.

7) Needs to have HDMI, 3-4 USB ports etc all the regular stuff

I stumbled upon the HP pavillion 17 ab000nd as shown below (sorry for the dutch but the specs should be easy to understand)

https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/551635/hp-pavilion-17-ab000nd/specificaties/

and the Asus Vivobook Pro n752vx

https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/484669/asus-vivobook-pro-n752vx-gc084t-be/specificaties/

Would you consider these good choices or are there alternatives around the same price? Please do note that the shown price on this website is including 21% vat so they are within the budget of € 1.000

I have a light preference for the pavillion as it has a slightly better graphics card and a 7200 RPM HD + m2 SSD while the Asus only has a normal SSD and 5400 RPM HD. The issue is that Belgians normally use an AZERTY keyboard which isn't available on the pavillion. I type blindly and my current laptop is also QWERTY so perhaps I shouldn't let that decide.

What does /g/ say?
>>
>>55811505
750 US $
i7 4720HQ+8GB RAM+1TB 7200rpm+GTX950m
4lbs
>>
thinkpad + dock
>>
>>55811644
no SSD bro? and which laptop are you even talking about?
>>
Post both specs.
>>
>>55812119

ASUS:

17"
i7-6700HQ
950M graphics card
128 GB SSD + 5400 RPM 1TB HD
8 GB DDR4 RAM

980 Euro ex VAT

HP:

17"
i7-6700HQ
960M graphics card
128 GB SSD + 7200 RPM 1TB HD
8 GB DDR4 RAM

920 Euro ex VAT
>>
>>55812248
What's stopping you from getting the HP other than the keyboard?
>>
>>55812248
>>55812348
Also check MSI GL62 and GL72
>>
>>55811505
I use a Lenovo P70, I do a fair bit of CAD and rendering for work but its a great laptop for general use, only downside is that workstation GPU's aren't optimized for gaming, but then again, this is /g/ not /v/.
>>
>>55812348
Not much. I'm mostly here to check if any of you has better alternatives.

I've also heard HP isn't the most reliable brand but that's probably a subjective thing.
>>
>>55812372
Personal flavor of course but it doesn't really look "business" to me. More like a mid-range gaming laptop.

Thanks for the suggestions though!
>>
>>55812401
Disregarding /v/ I still want to be able to look at educational videoclips on fullscreen on my external screen and browse/work on the laptop screen at the same time.

The internal graphics of my current laptop can't seem to do that so I think going for a mid-range gfx card is a better choice regardless of gaming requirements.
>>
>>55811505
I called Dell earlier this week and got 15% off on a XPS 13.

I recommend you to do the same. Call Dell, HP and if you don't have problems with spyware call Lenovo as well.

In most cases they will give you a good discount if you work in a small business, or if you are a student and so on.

>Lenovo: http://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/news/lenovo-in-the-news-again-for-installing-spyware-on-its-machines-743952
>>
>>55813692
Good idea, thanks
>>
>>55813692
wow I will literally beg for xps 15 for my phd. would they do -30%?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.