[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mkg/ - Mechanical Keyboard General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

File: snapshot29.png (34KB, 633x164px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot29.png
34KB, 633x164px
Waiting for ES-87 edition.

>Buyer's template:
http://pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Where to Buy:
http://pastebin.com/8Yku80VL
>FAQs:
http://pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
>Use buyers template
http://pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Keyset wiki
keypuller.com
>>
>>55809741
>tfw typing on my ES-87 with clear switches right now

it's worth the weight senpai. I love mine to death (even if there are a ton of crumbs and hair in mine because I'm fucking gross)
>>
>Budget
100-150

>Location (continent at least)
canada

>Preferred switch type
kalih/gateron/outemu

>Layout
qwerty us
>Form factor
%75

>Backlight
white LED

>Previous/current keyboards
some kinda chicklet traveling keyboard by elephant
>>
>>55807315
the extended numpad looks pretty amazing, but they really should have dropped one of the keys on the right side of the spacebar and and made the ones on the left 1.25u. the spacebar is terribly off center
>>
File: 20160629_141227.jpg (697KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160629_141227.jpg
697KB, 2048x1152px
>>55809741
>>
File: image.jpg (394KB, 1972x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
394KB, 1972x2048px
>>55809741
First for lulz
>>
>>55811447
Why the fuck are words like "fuck" and "shit" blacked out?

That's the worst part by far.
>>
File: IMG_20160716_003543.jpg (4MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160716_003543.jpg
4MB, 2560x1920px
Looking for a keyboard to do justice to the fagbox.

>Budget
$100 or less

>Location
US/FL

>Preferred switch type
Cherry MX Blue/Green or equivalent
(A Brown/Clear or equivalent is fine, too)

>Layout
US/ANSI

>Form factor
104 Key/100% (I need my numpad for Blender)

>Backlight
Programmable RGB

Rosewill RK-9000

Is it attainable, /mkg/? I was looking at the Havit HV-KB378L but I'm wary about the build and switch quality and the aesthetics aren't that great. You'd think no-frills would be cheaper but... nope.
I was gonna just get a custom rainbow keycap set but I kinda want something I can tinker with.

Pic related, is the fagbox.
>>
>>55812301
Ducky Shine RGB.
>>
>>55812351
Looks great, but where are you seeing it for $100 or less? I'm finding it at $165
>>
>>55812396
Build and switch quality comes at a price, friend. Spend the extra sixty bucks.
>>
>>55812396
You're asking the impossible with your budget.
>>
>>55812301
when will the cancer rgb led meme die
>>
How does linear switches feel compared to tactile? Are Cherry Green really hard to press? Gonna buy my first mech board and most probably I'll roll with Cherry Blue, but I'm thinking about either Red or Green.
>>
Is there a 60% ISO-layout with Cherry MX Browns/Blacks that's white with RGB leds?

Can't seem to find one.
>>
>>55812490
>when will the cancer rgb led meme die

when will the cancer mechanical keyboard meme die
>>
>>55812509
Buy a switch tester.
>>
>>55812523
After fifty million keystrokes.
>>
>>55812301

If you up your budget 115, you can get a ducky one with MX blues here:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1526

Otherwise otemu/gateron clone boards off aliexpress are probably your best bet
>>
>>55812674
Yeah it's seeming that way.

It's kind of ridiculous considering I spent $65 on the RK-9000 which has a metal base plate, full 104 key layout, good build quality, and genuine cherry MX switches.
A cheap micro-controller and some LEDs really shouldn't warrant a $100 bump from that price. They're gouging hardcore.
>>
>>55812527
Yeah good luck finding that in my country
>>
>>55809741
anyone here use an ergodox? can i use a maltron 90 layout on it?
>>
Should I get browns or clears as my first switch? Can't find a switch tester for a non outrageous price, I was gonna go browns but people say they feel like crap reds... are clears sort of a cross between browns and blues?
>>
>>55814289
Clears are browns with higher actuation force
Blues are basically like browns but slightly more tactile and with an actual click that comes from the switch itself (not from bottoming out).
>>
>>55814313

So is the sort of tactile feel the same for both browns and clears? The main complaint I hear is that browns are basically just not smooth reds, would clears be better than this?
>>
>>55814408
clears are actually tactile
>>
File: 1378265944214.gif (638KB, 1600x2220px) Image search: [Google]
1378265944214.gif
638KB, 1600x2220px
>>55814408
The tactile feel should be about the same, yes.

Pic related explains about the switches. People saying Browns are not-smooth reds are mostly right, since they have the same actuation force. Clears as you can see have a 10g higher actuation force, so they require a bit more force to push down. It basically comes down to:

-Do you want a tactile bump to indicate the switch activated?
-Do you like your keys to be firm or soft to press?
>>
>>55814458
>The tactile feel should be about the same, yes
it's not
>>
>>55814471
I said "About" the same. All you have to do is look at the diagram to see that they both work the same way (the clear has a slightly sharper bump, whoop-de-doo, SUCH a difference). It's different from Blues/Greens due to the difference in how the switch works and not linear, so if you were to classify them you'd classify Blues/Greens as "high tactility", Browns/Clears as "medium tactility" and Reds/Blacks as "no tactility" or "linear"
>>
>>55814426
>>55814458

I'm assuming my fingers wouldn't get tired on a board with clears, as it says the force required is the same as a rubber dome, and I can go on them for a while, same with a laptop keyboards, although I guess you could stop at the first bump which is where it actuates.
>>
>>55814524
Probably not, I don't think any modern switch is super hard to press, even the stiffest ones. It's just a matter of if you like the increased resistance or not.
>>
>>55814524
Just buy a switch tester.
>>
>>55814509
They don't feel "about the same" at all, clears have a far stronger tactile bump, which the increasing weight after the keypress also heavily plays into.
>>
>>55814567
Thank you for your input Mr. Keyboard Snob. You have proven yourself a true connoisseur. Now if you don't mind we were helping an anon differentiate between switch types so he can decide what's best for him.
>>
File: U9mo5sf.jpg (171KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
U9mo5sf.jpg
171KB, 1000x666px
>>55813736
>maltron 90 layout

80 keys is the max you can get on an ergodox.
>>
File: fig9.gif (33KB, 800x368px) Image search: [Google]
fig9.gif
33KB, 800x368px
>>55814669
the number is not related to the amount of keys, i just want the sides of the maltron 2d on an ergodox.
basically pic related without the F1-F12 row and numpad.
how hard would that be?
>>
>>55814694

The layout is fully customizable, so you can make it whatever you want it to be.

From a quick glance it seems the thumb cluster is shapped a little differemt, but the rest seems doable.
>>
>>55814599
You're welcome anon, now please don't spread any more misinformation.
>>
How are matias switches in terms of reliability?
And does the quiet clicks are comparable to mx clears?
>>
>>55814708
thanks, what would i use to modify the layout? do i need to do it with a text editor or is there some kind of gui or helper for it?
also what does it usually cost? less or more than 200 bucks?
>>
Welp, just ordered a KUL ES-87 with clears, hopefully I haven't dun goofed
>>
>>55814946

It is usually done through simple text files complied with tmk_keyboard. It is a royal pain in the ass.

Massdrop has a GUI configurator, a google search will find it. Last I heard it was broken though.

The new version of the ergodox, the infinity ergodox (i.e.-an ergodox with a shitty LED screen that has 0 support anywhere and LED holes for every key), has a GUI, you can find it on their site.

A normal ergodox can be had for ~$150 if you scrimp. Around $200 for a good one.

Infinity is over $200.

Check this site, EU based but free shipping:
>http://falbatech.pl/prestashop/index.php
>>
>>55815172
>Massdrop has a GUI configurator, a google search will find it. Last I heard it was broken though.
still broken from the looks of it. it also can't read links/configs from other people.
well, for 200$ it would be cheaper the get the ergodox-ez and save the time. i will check it out, thanks.
>>
>>55815211
I just looked it up. Unassembled you are looking at around $140. Simple clear acrylic case, no keycaps.

The EZ is just way too much if yoou ask me, but their tenting case is kinda cool.

Firmware works the same on both. If you want something custom you have to use the configurator or dick with compliling it yourself.
>>
>>55815211

Oh and I just checked the configurator. It still works.
>>
When your mass drop order finally ships

>Don't have the image because im on my phone, but imagine Robin Williams with the beard in jumanji looking stressed out
>>
>>55815172
>It is a royal pain in the ass
it's certainly not the most simple or comfortable thing ever, but it's really quite straightforward business if you know what your matrix looks like.
>>
>>55815363

It is definately easier on linux.

I had a hell of a time just getting it to compile properly on windows.

I am considering putting linux on an extra laptop just to compile a new layout for my planck I ordered.
>>
>>55815405
>>I had a hell of a time just getting it to compile properly on windows
I did it the first time on OS X, now I switched to windows 10

Guess I'll be replacing that unused os x install with some flavor of linux. I've got a bunch of builds that I want to do coming up, and from all that I've heard wangblows is the biggest pain of all to use.
>>
>>55815434

Once I got it set up it was a breeze. But there was very little documentation for it. I ended up digging up an old blog article and asking questions on the geekhack tmk thread.
>>
>>55815275
well compilation wouldn't be a problem, it's probably not much harder than typing 2-5 commands and adding info in checkinstall (thanks debian) , making a layout in a text-editor seems boring though.
the site you sent seems to be really good, it's way cheaper than i imagined, especially because i want to build the case myself from wood, and their assembly service is cheaper than wasting time on it.
the tenting thinkgy for the EZ is really cool yes.
as soon as i am sue that i want to get that one i will post here again.
>>55815314
well, more or less, i can't use quite a few keys in it.

oh, which gateron switch is the closest to cherry clears?
>>
>>55815483
>well compilation wouldn't be a problem, it's probably not much harder than typing 2-5 commands and adding info in checkinstall (thanks debian)

If I remember correctly it was only two. But getting the compiler working on Windows was a chore. But if you are in using debian it should be a breeze.

I spent weeks trying to get a multi-key macro set up and the LEDs to function as layer notifications, but I couldn't get it working properly. The TMK thread wasn't much help either.

In the end I just threw together a rather normal keymap. I was lucky enough that I could find labeled keycaps for all of it in my favorite colors.

>well, more or less, i can't use quite a few keys in it.

For awhile it wasn't compiling anything at all. Everything I tested worked without issue.
>>
>>55815471
>Once I got it set up it was a breeze
Are you talking about windows or os x/linux?
>>
>>55815483
>which gateron switch is the closest to cherry clears?
tactile clears (they're identical to zealios), is the closest you'll get.

There's not really any direct clones of cherry clear since it's a fairly unpopular switch.
>>
>>55815602

Windows.

Getting a working compiler sucked. But the actual compiling was simple. Just modifying a text file and two commands.
>>
>>55815630
I see, thanks for the info, guess I'll give it a go once the time comes around.
>>
>>55815483
>the site you sent seems to be really good, it's way cheaper than i imagined

Make suer to source your switches from elsewhere. Theirs are pretty expensive. You can get a bunch of gaterons for around $30.
>>
>>55815720
yeah i think i would rather order some clears from https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/ or find something similar.
>>
muh ganss gs87 comes in today woopwoop
>>
>>55809741
Is the CMStorm QuickFire XT with Cherry MX Blue/Brown switches a good, not so expensive mechanical keyboard, or would you recommend something else?
>>
>Budget
80-100

>Location (continent at least)
usa

>Preferred switch type
mx blue and their kalih/gateron equivalent

>Layout
ANSI

>Form factor
100%

>Backlight
not a deal breaker but would be nice to have

A logitech k120
>>
>>55815889
it's good, but don't get browns, they feel like reds with dirt in the middle
>>
I have a Poker 3 in Brown and I want a Poker 3 in Red. I cannot find one anywhere. I live in New Zealand. All the online sites I've come across, even the ones located in Australia, want close to US$40 in shipping. Any advice?
>>
>>55816219
buy gateron reds and some soldering equipment.
>>
>>55816219
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/IKBC-POKERII-60-compact-poker2-mini-mechanical-keyboard-poker-II-cherry-mx-switch-gaming-keyboard-PBT/2043845811.html
>>
>>55816268
Is this also known as the V60 or is that something different yet again?
>>
>>55816307
I'm not sure if he's selling a Poker II or Pok3r, the description says 2016 model so I would ask the seller. It's definitely a Poker and not a KBP, though.
>>
>>55815275
do you by any chance have an idea where i could find a backup of the website ergodox.org?
>>
space bar on my CM quickfire rapid has gone, fucks sake

I don't think they're in production any more

I just want my MX blacks

hate to ask but does anyone know of a tenkeyless MX black keyboard?
>>
>>55817803
No anon, there's absolutely no TKLs with black switches.

Ducky One TKL should be right up your alley.
>>
>>55817803
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?keyword=&brand=&switch=4&size=Tenkeyless&led=either&capmat=&capprint=&model=&in_stock=off&in_stock=on&preorder=off&preorder=on
knock urself out
>>
how long did it take you to git gud at typing?
i can touch type ~45 wpm and i would really love to be not so fucking terrible
>>
>>55817895
maybe 1-2 years to go from 50 to 100+
depending on how lazy I am I can get up to 130 but normally I'm around 100-110
>>
>>55817855
>>55817874
ta lads, heroes
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.