[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BSD thread. Go.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 24

File: 1447930530790.png (194KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1447930530790.png
194KB, 800x600px
BSD thread.

Go.
>>
>>55807168
Just switch to Linux already
>>
>>55807178
linux is trash
>>
>>55807168
Linux virtualisation >> FreeBSD virtualisation
>>
File: puff.jpg (120KB, 227x343px) Image search: [Google]
puff.jpg
120KB, 227x343px
this painting is badass

>>55807178
is this a bot?
>>
kek I don't get this, OP. If you are fighting with Linux not even /g/ will take your browser OS seriously
>>
>>55807248
pretty sure he made this thread to trigger you

or maybe you're actually OP too
>>
>>55807268
OP here, I'm just here to troll Linux users.
>>
>>55807456
You do realise everytime you try your whole thread gets rekt and you convince no one to install BSD
>>
>>55807546
all you do is convince people that you're insane though, that's why these threads exist
>>
>>55807556
I made a few BSD threads myself. Either they got derailed or went dead within 20 posts
>>
>>55807575
we used to have somewhat ok threads until that fucker came along and spent his days derailing them, scaring everyone away
>>
>>55807596
Maybe because you want to fight Linux in a Linux/windows board?
>>
>>55807168
Is anyone able to download the source code for 11-CURRENT in the installation phase?
>>
>>55807613
don't justify shitposting

>>55807615
install from the CD instead, hell you should probably use CVS instead to get the latest and greatest
>>
Why should i use bsd over linux?
>>
>>55807630
No, You are shitposting. I make both Linux and BSD threads. Making a thread to "troll Linux users" won't convince people at all.

You are the part of the problem
>>
>>55807630
When are they going to switch to git?

fucking cvs is gay
>>
>>55807645
1. actually useful manpages
2. well separated base and third party programs
3. overall simplicity, upgrading it and accidentally breaking it is hard since everything is neatly bundled together
4. openbsd has great programs that all use a very similar configuration syntax that's sane and understandable
5. generally sane defaults
6. they don't answer to the guy who wrote this
http://forum.quartertothree.com/t/richard-stallman-su-and-the-wheel-group/10448

>>55807650
what? im not that guy

>>55807674
pretty sure freebsd has done it, but yeah i fucking CAN'T stand CVS, openbsd devs are probably less willing since they've been developing their own CVS tools
>>
>>55807645
For FreeBSD, it has really easy-to-follow wiki. It does lack contents but the system is actually simpler than Linux.

FreeBSD is a better and simpler DIY OS than Linux. That being said, I'm not sure it replaces Linux completely.
>>
>>55807693
can confirm freeBSD has NOT switched to Git
>>
>>55807762
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd
what's this then
>>
freeBSD for server
Linux distro for desktop

That being said, I wouldn't mind if Linux was more like bsd.
>>
>>55807809
Hardcore Arch fan here. I agree specially to >>55807693
>2. well separated base and third party programs
>>
>>55807841
Just because Arch is shit doesn't mean every GNU/Linux distro is.
>>
:^)
>>
>>55807945
freebsd stopped being good after version 7
>>
>>55807972
fuck you bitch
>>
File: 1399751139124.jpg (30KB, 374x411px) Image search: [Google]
1399751139124.jpg
30KB, 374x411px
>>55807178
>implying that most of us BSD users don't use Linux too, or that we never have.

The only BSD users (if most of them can rightfully be considered that) you'll find who aren't very likely to be very familiar with Linux are OSX users, and PS4 owners. Most of us who haven't been around since the 386BSD days or earlier, came to the BSDs from Linux, and a lot of us, perhaps even the majority of us, use both regularly. So this is not the either/or situation Linux fanboys like to present it as. Furthermore, contrary to what you may misguidedly believe, we use what we use because we find it useful for whatever reason, and not merely to spite people like you.
>>
>>55807916
Arch easily is one of the best distros. ABS and pkgbuild is heavily inspired by the ports system
>>
>>55809033
Alpine is definitely my favorite linux distro, it's the most BSD out of all of them in my opinion. The installer is even lifted from OpenBSD.

Shame about the complete lack of support.
>>
>>55807168

Serious question:

I was never able to successfully install *BSD OS because my graphics card is not supported. So what should I do to make it work?
>>
What is compatibility like on BSDs? No compatibility with Linux based packages? I swear I see them bundled together sometimes. Pretty sure I can just google about the ports system here.

How is *BSD for software development? I don't need IDEs or anything but good documentation built in would be nice I guess, most Linux man pages are like a map of the cells of a human body when all I wanted was a first name
>>
>>55809325
Depends, what do you have and which BSD?
>>
I heard SPARC64 gained full disk encryption support in OpenBSD. Is it just SPARC64 and x86(_64) now? Or have any other platforms gotten support?
>tfw no full disk encrypted PowerBook
>>
>>55809444
If it's open source, it'll likely run on BSD unless the programmer was completely retarded.

>How is *BSD for software development?
Pretty good. They all ship with dev tools out of the box. No need to get the headers from the package manager or anything. I like how some of the OpenBSD manpages have examples for C functions, really helped me to understand getopt.
>>
>>55809033
nah man. arch is a headache. can't use it as your default os that you can count on everyday for work. if arch is your only os, you are most likely severely unemployed and/or masochistic.
>>
>>55809485
Sweet. I installed BSD when I was young once on a shitbox but never touched it. Think I'll install again after work tomorrow
>>
>>55807723
>For FreeBSD, it has really easy-to-follow wiki. It does lack contents but the system is actually simpler than Linux.
this is the result of BSD being designed by educated people who want to make something great. Linux is the result of semi-educated people who have a chip on their shoulder and want to think they are outsmarting other people. really, they are like problem children compared to the BSD community
>>
>>55809465

Currently AMD HD 8570D. I have dedicated Nvidia graphics cards (like the 640) but my motherboard has a custom BIOS so I can't change the fraphics card from the motherboard one to the dedicated one.

Either OpenBSD and FreeBSD will be fine. I tried installing both but it had a same result. I assume there must an option where you can install something incase your graphics card isn't supported, but I wasn't able to find such alternative.
>>
>>55809643
Try PC-BSD
>>
>>55809643
http://man.openbsd.org/radeon.4
According to this, it supports it, but I don't trust the X manpages.

The OBSD devs should really get around to trying to fix them.
>>
>>55809684
>>55809654

Alright, thanks
>>
>>55809708
Also keep in mind that on the first boot, OpenBSD downloads firmwares.

This confused the shit out of me the first time when I installed it on this PC, since that meant I didn't have any video until I rebooted the machine, then it worked perfectly.
>>
Which fibre channel HBA works best in freebsd? qla24xx or qla25xx?
Is NPIV supported?
>>
>>55810869
I don't know what you're asking, but chances are your answer is in the pci manpage or even usb manpage if it's USB based
>>
How to dual boot freebsd with win10?
>>
>>55811124
you stop talking about it and just do it
>>
>>55811124
don't know about freebsd or even win10 since i used 7, but for openbsd it was literally as simple as dd'ing the first 512 mb's of the boot partition to a file and adding it to the windows bootmgr
>>
>>55811140
???
I can't do it if I don't know how. That's the whole point of my post.
>>
>>55811124
rEFInd
>>
>>55807781
my God ur dumb
>>
>>55811152
it's not much different than dual booting any other OS.
>>
so how good is the ixsystems stuff?

i want to throw money at a BSD and what better way to do that than actually buying hardware?
>>
>>55812252
By donating directly to OpenBSD
>>
>>55812263
you're not wrong to be honest
>>
File: theostallman.jpg (824KB, 1600x1200px)
theostallman.jpg
824KB, 1600x1200px
what is theo looking at
>>
We have lost sight of the tenets of UNIX. Yes, I realize we are in the modern era, and UNIX is over 40 years old, but the tenets that made UNIX great are still valid to this day.

The tenet I wanted to touch on is the tenet of UNIX that suggests we "keep it simple". Complexity is not only the enemy of this tenet, it's also the enemy of security and common sense.

I have, in the last year, begun a move of my critical machines to BSD variants, namely FreeBSD and OpenBSD. OpenBSD in particular, exemplifies the tenets of UNIX better than any other OS that is in use. Theo and team correctly understand the issues of complexity and security and their product reflects the care they take. I liken their work to that of a gardener and his bonsai trees.

FreeBSD is rapidly becoming the "go to" OS for those who are disillusioned with what Linux as become -- namely bloated, complicated, and difficult to deal with. Linux, while intentionally what it is in terms of choices, has become fractured internally what with respected long-standing developers leaving for this or that reasons. Some of this is because of systemd, some of it for other reasons.

Let's be honest for a minute. Linux is not a bad ecosystem. It's has become a difficult maze of kernel, weird and varied frameworks, too many user land utilities and DE/WMs, and the legacy stuff that Windows and Apple were accused of is there for all who have eyes to see. Nothing is perfect, obviously, but the creep is evident and obvious. I'm severely disappointed with the notion of binary blobs, something OpenBSD correctly rejects out of hand.

For me and my IT shop, we are headed towards the BSD camp because of the above and because I value stability and engineering above all else. BSD has always cared more about being "correct" than cool. BSD is engineered, while Linux seems haphazard. My .02.
>>
>>55812381
this slashdot post is right, you know
>>
>>55812404
I hadn't touched the BSDs (with the exception of Mac) in nearly a decade but recently had reason to dig into FreeBSD and OpenBSD. I installed both, played around and dug into some work related to my goals. This will sound funny, but I almost wept. They were both so straight forward and HELPFUL!! The errors suggested paths for getting it right the next time. The documentation was up to date and made perfect sense. Everything was where and what the documentation said it would be and where I intuitively wanted to look for it. The config files had nice big comments and helpful examples you could uncomment and use. There was just no noise.

I started out with Linux a little late. In 1996 I bought that Gray Box with the Red Hat on it when it started selling at Fry's. That box came with a book. I was a Windows admin at the time and the mix of dlls, config files and registry entries was just getting annoying. I was playing the the pre-release of NT 4.0 and worrying about all the shit they moved out of userland and into the kernel. I remember going through the Red Hat book that came with that box, reading man pages and falling in love. It made sense. I got excited about knowing where to look and having pretty much ONE set of things to know for all the configuration files and shell work. I felt like if I did my homework and took an action, it wouldn't betray me.

FreeBSD made me feel that way again but MORE. It's an operating system you can master with the necessary services to do anything.

As the opportunities arise I'll be switching to one of the BSDs. I'm already running some of my cloud services on FreeBSD 10.1. There are more services in the cloud for Linux but it's worth the extra bits of work to me. And I'm constantly pleasantly surprised that the work I prepare for has already been done somewhere or is easier than I thought it would be.

If you feel like Linux is getting too complex. There's and alternative *NIX out there worth a good hard look.
>>
I switched to BSD because I've never tried a good Linux distro before: distro makers should be shot.
And every time I think "let me try Linux again" I find the distros still come half-baked with the oddest assemblage of packages.
They don't even come with the compilers pre-installed.
>>
>>55812870
yeah, can't believe i used them for so long

the only good one was debian and they fucked that up, gentoo is alright too i guess but its still kind of a mess

>inb4 this is a slashdot post
>>
How good is PC-BSD? Will it run well in virtualbox?
>>
>>55812883
My post wasn't slashdot. One day I decided to learn Unix, having only used Windows before, and tried multiple GNU/Linuxes before trying FreeBSD.
>>
>>55812894
BSDs are made for bare metal, so they're slow in VMs. To be fair Linux in a VM is slow as balls too.

But yeah, it'll run.
>>
>>55812894
I have regular FreeBSD in Virtualbox on Windows right now, since while I normally use OpenBSD on metal, I have to be on Windows for a couple weeks right now.
FreeBSD seems to be working fine so far, but I haven't and won't be installing X on it.
>>
>>55812896
>>55812905
Is it true OpenBSD is as stable and secure out of the box as they say it is?
>>
>>55812913
I've not had it crash, and I've not had security issues, but I just use it as a desktop. It only also serves one website that not many people visit.
But I'd say yes.
>>
>>55812913
The defaults are pretty sane and secure, yeah.

You'll find that most services are turned off by default. Definitely requires less tinkering than FreeBSD.

I actually think people overrate OpenBSD's security quite a bit in comparison to the other positive things about it.
>>
Bsd doesn't replace linux.
>>
>>55813025
Cool, provide details.
>>
>>55813100
They don't do the same things, they have different uses.
>>
>>55813128
Details please.
By the way, in Debian/kFreeBSD the FreeBSD kernel replaces Linux.
>>
>>55813182
Linux has larger support from hardware vendors, is better suited for desktop and has more software. Bsd isnt bad either but i wouldnt uae it as a desktop os.
>>
>>55813226
OpenBSD is my daily desktop OS though.
>>
>>55813281
Yeag its not bad but needing to run everything through a compatibility layer is a pain. Bsd also depend on porting their drivers from the linux kernel because driver sypport is just that bad. Bsd as a system is great, i liked the documentation, helpful community etc but it just isn't ready for desktops.
>>
>>55807645
1. Because you want to run non-free BIOS software. (You can't run BSD on Libreboot)
>>
>>55813342
>Yeag its not bad but needing to run everything through a compatibility layer is a pain.
I can count the software I need to run on a compatibility on one hand and one finger even.

That would be Steam for Linux, which is awful so I don't want to run it.

I think you're doing something incredibly wrong if you REALLY need it, but that's just my opinion. It's really a last resort solution.
>>
>>55813377
Whose fault could that possibly be?
>>
>>55813478
I didn't assign any blame because I don't care who is to blame
>>
File: 1422612827014.jpg (99KB, 1280x720px)
1422612827014.jpg
99KB, 1280x720px
What difference is there between BSD and Linux when it comes to daily use and general system admin? I'm guessing BSD is more old school with plaintext logs and cron jobs?
>>
>>55809512
>arch is a headache.
Nah, you can use a LTS Kernel and avoid all problems. I do this on a laptop of mine because of spotty hardware support which can lead to some shitty suprises using the regular kernel.
>>
>>55809518
Support probably hasn't increased any since the last time you tried BSD, prepare to be under-whelmed.
>>
>>55815554
the only cuck license is the GPL
>>
>>55815559
>he wants to have his work stolen and used in non-free software
You are the definition of a cuck.
>>
>>55815559
GPL
>You want to release my software and take away the user's freedoms? I won't stand for it! I'm going to fight you to give my users the freedom they deserve!
vs. BSD/MIT
>Y-you want to release my software and t-take away the user's freedoms? O-okay, I won't stop you...
How is BSD not a cuck license?
>>
>>55807224
Linux > BSD
>>
>>55807168
>BSD
You mean the plagerized works of OS X/Linux?
>>
File: shame cat.jpg (80KB, 400x587px)
shame cat.jpg
80KB, 400x587px
>>55807546
I fell for the meme.
BSD is the worst shit there is.
Never again.
>>
>>55815881
>gives no reasons
>>
>>55815656
Because you can't make money off communism
>>
>>55812446
Thank you for the actually useful writeup.
>>
>>55815656
BSD is the license for the white man, GPL is communism jewry.
>>
>>55807168
Noob here. I wanna try BSD. I have three important questions though.

1) What's the difference between FreeBSD and OpenBSD?

2) Can I dual boot with GNU/Linux using GRUB bootloader? I currently have Kubuntu installed. If I make a FreeBSD live USB will I have to manually update GRUB or does the installer give me an option to install GRUB?

3) Can I used the KDE desktop environment with it? What are the limitations/restrictions on using the DEs commonly used with GNU/Linux distributions?
>>
>>55818127
trust me when i say it's a waste of time. It's fun for wasting time and checking out a slightly different system but eventually you won't use it and will go back to linux

it's not worth the hassle, just get better at linux. that will pay off more.
>>
>>55818185
If you know so much could you answer my questions?
>>
>>55813342
>Yeag its not bad but needing to run everything through a compatibility layer is a pain
OpenBSD doesn't even have a Linux compat layer anymore. The only thing that I ever used it for anyway was Opera 12.
>>
>>55818212
openbsd is worse than freebsd because of its demented view on security

bsd's do not use grub in a basic install. you can manually go into your grub config and change it to boot a bsd.

you can use kde, albeit not the latest version. DEs i wouldn't really recommend for a bsd either. I'd use a WM or just the terminal. at least that's what i was most comfortable.
>>
>>55807546

Actually I started using BSD because of these threads. BSD is actually pretty great, better than Linux generally.
>>
You don't realize that BSD has been out long before those two and that they've included code from BSD right? And plagerized isn't really a thing in open source. Its the beauty of open source.
>>
>>55818269
I like how ultra clean the OpenBSD base is and software made by them have fewer bugs. Compare libreSSL to OpenSSL and libre will have much fewer bugs and most will be minor.
>>
>>55815656
that implies the software creator gave a fuck about FSF talking points in the first place

if the purpose of the software being open is to make it easier to audit and help people learn from it and integrate pieces of it in their own software, licensed or not, who gives a fuck if it ends up in some pajeetware, the end user only stands to benefit from good code being used wherever possible instead of being limited to obscure forks and FSF garbage nobody gives a fuck about because the developer is worried more about his ego and political drama than actually writing a good program
>>
I'm running 10 release in virtualbox on windows 7. Some of the operations seem to take a long time. Anyone seen this?

inb4 just run it on it's own box
>>
>>55818610
>if the purpose of the software being open is to make it easier to audit and help people learn from it
no, that's not the purpose
>>
>>55817831
GPL is the only free software license you can make money of precisely becauae proprietary vendors are reluctant to wanna use it which means you can negotiate a dual license deal and sell them a proprietary license. And if they are willing to take the copyleft hit, at least you get some code back.
With BSD style licenses they can just grab the code and do whatever without you seeing a dime.
>>
>>55818663
>no, that's not the purpose
so the purpose of opening up your source code according to /g/NUtards is ego stroking and tumblr-tier political dick waving? got it
>>
>>55818705
>With BSD style licenses they can just grab the code and do whatever without you seeing a dime.
Which is how it should be. Your software is there for the bettering of technology as a whole, not to put a little dosh in your pocket.
>>
>>55818718
>so the purpose of BSD is to get cucked and raped in the ass
why would you say this?
>>
>>55818763
>they can just grab the code and do whatever
>Which is how it should be
you seem to believe everyone enjoys being a cuck; that's not true tho, not everyone is mentally ill; stop trying to justify your handicap as normal
>>
>>55815417
aren't you the guy who pretended that he wasn't the same shitposter that posts every day and when someone posted an archive link that proves otherwise you stopped posting
>>
>>55818971
nope
>>
>>55818763
>Your software is there for the bettering of technology as a whole,
Then you should use GPL so you ensure it keeps bettering technology as a whole.
>>
>>55819102
no because then people who might want to use it have to walk through legal minefields

then again, almost everyone who uses GPL is some self-important douchebag
>>
>>55819102
No, that's what BSD is for.
>>
>>55818763
>The software you worked hard to benefit mankind gets used in proprietary software that only benefits the corporation
Ah yes, permissive licenses like BSD doing it's job.
>>
>>55819119
>who might want to steal it
ftfy
>>
>>55819134
benefits everybody, actually

but im sure you'd love if it apple and ms wrote their own ssh that was buggy with completely shit security that's also not standardized
>>
>>55819167
How does proprietary software benefit anyone but the corporation that made it?
>>
>>55819165
it's not stealing if you're giving it away, retard
>>
>>55819176
that's the point im making

apple integrates pf in their own operating system

did free pf disappear? no
>>
>>55819176
By being software the corporation releases for the general public to use. Please tell me you're not seriously this retarded.
>>
Guys, corporations always give back to BSD code. You're allowing corporations to make profit with BSD, you cannot make profit off GPL
>>
>>55819360
reason for that being that code becomes too hard to maintain after a while, so you better make sure your improvements get into the tree

and if they don't some of them even funnel money to them instead, which is just as good
>>
>>55807972

Actually, I wholeheartedly agree. One of my machines that's awaiting a new power supply has FreeBSD 7.3 installed. I fuckin love it.
>>
>>55819536
i dont know what the fuck happened after that version, it just got really bloated all of a sudden
>>
>>55809325
Buy a new (or used) graphics card. Like for less than $20 you can get a FreeBSD compatible card and stop bitching about it.
>>
>>55819751
>2016
>muh VESA support
lads...
>>
>>55812357
stallmans bank account
>>
>>55819898
>we could have made money from software if we weren't cucks? SHIT!
seems legit
>>
>>55819550

I've been using FreeBSD since 4.0. and I loved every version up to 7.x. I really tried to like 8 and 9 but no.
>>
>>55819945
that's why stallman lives like a hobo right
>>
>>55819967
can you even say with a straight face theo is not a crack whore?
>>
>>55819990
he's almost 50 though
>>
>shitposters posts deleted
thank you, janitors or mods

this should at least prove to him that he's not welcome here
>>
File: 1446661167678.jpg (342KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
1446661167678.jpg
342KB, 640x800px
>>55815341
So is this true?
>>
>>55821323
yes. BSD is real UNIX, and Linux is not.

you will find that BSD is designed a lot more carefully as a cohesive system, and that Linux is a bunch of poorly-fitting parts mashed together into something that runs.

https://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/03
>>
>>55821323
Oh yeah, it's definitely true and all the better for it.
>>
bsd is for fags
>>
>>55821683
Ok kid
>>
https://www.freebsdmall.com/cgi-bin/fm

anyone buy any of this stuff?
>>
>>55821800
The books by Lucas tend to be pretty good. I don't regret buying Absolute OpenBSD.

I don't understand why you'd need an entire book about ZFS, though.
>>
>>55815341
It has its pros and cons (more pros than cons).
I'll start with the cons:
In my experience, browsing the web is a downgrade in FreeBSD. Might just be my RAM, or fucking something. Truth is, webkitgtk based browsers just crash and dump a core. All the time. Firefox has behaved like shit a couple times, it does so mostly when I go to jewtube, and the whole program starts running at a snail's pace.
With that out of the way, I should say I tried a bunch of different linux distributions, including Arch, Gentoo, and Void, which turned out to be my favorites.
The problem with linux is that it's not just Linux, it's Systemd/GNU/Linux/Your distribution's package manager. And it's a case of patchwork where different software is put together precariously and you just wish that either of the mantainters changes something that breaks the whole system. More often than not, the system breaks and you have to dig into the low level or look for some arcane hack to fix a problem that shouldn't have happened in the first place. With FreeBSD, all the aforementioned components (kernel, userspace, init system, package manager) are integrated by the same vendor and thus fit into the whole system consistently.
Then there are the SystemD wars in linux, which are dividing the community and soon enough some component you might use will probably decide it's time to embrace the Substance D and leave you fucked. Or you might need a persistent session over ssh using your reliable tmux only to find out systemd killed it when you logged out.
Much can be said about systemd, but one thing is sure: It's dividing the linux community and the devs don't give a shit about their users.
>>
>>55821966
to keep with the systemd rant, were this a linux thread, a flame war would be taking place with just the mention of it.
But this is a *BSD thread. And we don't have to withstand that shit. SystemD is a no-no in the BSDs
>>
>>55812357
shellshock
>>
>>55822037
underrated
>>
BSD is trash

Eat my ass
>>
>>55822037
>>55822085
same person
>>
>>55822100
you're just mad because the janitor deleted your shitposts

>>55822106
>implying
>>
>>55822100
fuck linux and fuck you
>>
Comparison between BSDs? aka Which BSD should I start with? I've used Arch, Debian, Ubuntu, etc before.
>>
>>55822183
freebsd is a good start

for a desktop environment i hear pc-bsd is okay, but bsd really shines as a server or in text mode
>>
>>55822183
openbsd
>>
i try to install BSD on my laptop and it fry mobo wtf!
>>
File: trollface.jpg (37KB, 469x428px) Image search: [Google]
trollface.jpg
37KB, 469x428px
>>55822261
>>
>>55807168
How to install *bsd distro on smartphone?
I have android smartphone.
>>
>>55822343
Get an iPhone
>>
lame
>>
>>55822183
Either of FreeBSD or OpenBSD
FreeBSD is easier on newcomers and has more driver support (by which I mean OpenBSD accepts no blobs, case you might need one), and has far more literature if you're a bookworm like me.
OpenBSD does have better manpages tho, and whichever system you choose, there's Absolute OpenBSD/FreeBSD, which should teach you all you need to know to start using it.
NetBSD is for expert BSDies, DragonFly doesn't seem to have a lot of activity, and PC-BSD is just the ubuntu of BSDs, based on FreeBSD, and I personally didn't like it, at all.
>>
>>55822352
get out
>>
Can I get a global menu bar in OpenBSD?
>>
>>55822477
Shut up jerk
>>
>>55807235
I was wondering when they were going to do the wall's poster
>>
>>55822651
Huh? You mean in X?
>>
>>55822691
Of course.
>>
>>55822678
blow me
>>
>>55821435
You got that the other way around: Linux is true UNIX, BSD is not.
>>
>>55822704
So what exactly do you mean by global menu bar?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with those.
>>
>>55822724
he's going all out
>>
>>55822749
>I don't know what UNIX means
figures
>>
>>55822734
This. Instead of each window having it it's at the top for controlling the active window/program

>>55822724
>>55822765
0/10 bait
>>
>>55822777
Oh, I think there were some plugins for either GNOME or XFCE that made the panel behave that way, but finding a clone is pretty hard.

GNOME3 even does it out of the box, I think, except GNOME3 is a turd.
>>
>>55822777
>0/10 bait
How are you going to backpedal when you are proven BSD is not UNIX?
>>
>>55822822
>says the word backpedaling even when its completely out of context again
oh its you, i thought you got banned but looks like your posts only got deleted
>>
>>55822810
I want to avoid GNOME because of its dependency on systemd but I'll look into Xfce, thanks.

>>55822822
>backpedaling
The fuck are you on about? You posted shitty bait and I called you out on it. I couldn't've backpedaled if I wanted to.
>>
>>55822873
>I want to avoid GNOME because of its dependency on systemd but I'll look into Xfce, thanks.
If you're using OpenBSD, the devs have actually tried to patch it so it doesn't depend on systemd as much.

No idea how well it actually works.
>>
>>55822885
>If you're using OpenBSD, the devs have actually tried to patch it so it doesn't depend on systemd as much
I know. OpenBSD of course doesn't have systemd but I've heard GNOME's a hacked together piece of shit because of it. I just don't want to bother, not a big fan of post-GNOME2 GNOME anyway.
>>
>>55822841
>completely out of context again
Are you too retarded to understand the question? Try reading it again.
>>55822873
>I called you out on it.
Do you know what UNIX is? Not BSD. OSX and Solaris are UNIX, BSD is not. Do you know why? Just how retarded are you?
>>
>>55822930
i can't wait for the mods to rangeban your dumb ass

maybe some day
>>
>>55822930
>Do you know what UNIX is?
Of course I do. You probably do too, but you love shitting up these threads so you're just going to pretend you don't.
>Not BSD
But that's wrong, you fucking troll.
>OSX and Solaris are UNIX, BSD is not.
All three are.
>Do you know why?
Because you're pretending lineage doesn't mean shit and that the UNIX certification is the only form of UNIX to exist. There's UNIX the marketing stunt and Unix the operating system family. BSD is a member of the latter.
>Just how retarded are you?
Not nearly as retarded as you are.
>>
>>55822944
Why are you upset that BSD is not UNIX?
>>
>>55822975
so what software did you write again?
>>
>>55822979
kek
>>
>>55822966
>pretending
>UNIX certification is the only form of UNIX
Yes. Everyone agrees on that. The FreeBSD documentation even makes it clear: "BSD is very definitely not UNIX"
>UNIX
>and Unix
We're talking about UNIX, not Unix, try to pay attention, you massive shit.
Just how fucking dumb can a cunt like you be?
Here, you fucking apeshit:
>>55821435
>BSD is real UNIX
No, you fucking shit, BSD is not UNIX! It might be Unix, but we're not talking about that. Anything can claim to be Unix, you worthless fag.
REKT!
>>
>>55823055
Enjoy being retarded
>>
>>55823055
>REKT!
i like how every time you post you always pat yourself on back like this
>>
File: stallsmans.jpg (950KB, 955x1358px) Image search: [Google]
stallsmans.jpg
950KB, 955x1358px
>>55812357
>>
>>55823095
>>55823100
>we got told hard
>lalalalalalalal we can't hear you over the sound of innovashun
How does it feel to get schooled on UNIX? How does it feel to know Linux is UNIX but BSD is not?
You must be so mad right now. :^)
>>
I love both BSD and GNU/Linux but I don't understand how BSD fanboys can honestly believe they're superior to GNU/Linux when there is Gentoo. Besides the kernel, corelibs, drivers and license all of the shell utilities are very similar.
>>
>>55823130
>Linux is UNIX
There's one Linux distro to have been UNIX certified, and even then it's just a $15k piece of paper and not real Unix.
>>
>>55823130
oh my god you actually may have evaded a ban just to come in here and shitpost

good god you're a joke
>>
File: shitposter.jpg (727KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
shitposter.jpg
727KB, 1600x1200px
>>55823128
i found the culprit
>>
>>55823220
Are you new? He does this every thread
>shitposts
>shitposts get deleted
>disappears for a few hours
>comes back and shitposts even harder
>repeat till thread 404s
I swear to god, shitting up these threads is his sole purpose to live.
>>
>>55823263
it's sad because he doesn't even deny it's him

there was at least another shitposter who denied it at least, but he's almost proud of it

no one else says "innovashun"
>>
>>55823203
>one Linux distro to have been UNIX certified
Quick! Which one of FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD is UNIX certified? None? You don't say!
How does it feel to get told this hard?
>>55823220
>mad he can't into UNIX
Stay salty, retard!
>>
>>55823203
>Linux distro to have been UNIX certified
>not real Unix
holy shit, this backpedaling was called with great skill
>>
>>55823295
>Quick! Which one of FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD is UNIX certified? None? You don't say
I never said otherwise, and they don't need to be. It's just an expensive piece of paper. Unix lineage is what really matters. Nobody cares about the SUS, it's just marketing circlejerk. The fact that the OS is actually derived from Unix is what makes it real Unix.

>>55823321
>UNIX certification makes something real Unix
1/10, you got me to reply
>>
>>55823321
what do you gain out of doing this

also what software did you write
>>
>>55823203
>There's one Linux distro to have been UNIX certified
you're saying >>55821435 is retarded and anon called it right?
>>
>>55823333
>Unix lineage is what really matters
Wasn't the discussion about UNIX? Starting here >>55821435
Why are you trying so hard to damage control?
>>
>>55823333
>the OS is actually derived from Unix
it isn't tho
>>
>>55823351
No, >>55821435 is spot on. I'm just saying that there is one Linux distro that has an expensive piece of paper that says it can call it UNIX.

>>55823368
>>55821435 is talking about lineage, dumbass.

>>55823386
It is tho
>>
>>55823386
yes it is
>>
Do versions past FreeBSD 6.4 have any extra features?

I am looking to install FreeBSD on an older computer
>>
>>55823422
I would say ZFS, but that's worthless on an old computer.

Maybe for older computers it would be best to look into OpenBSD or even NetBSD.
>>
>>55823422
bsd is timeless
>>
>>55823389
>is talking about lineage
Are you saying that braindead retard is right and the people that wrote the FreeBSD documentation saying "BSD is very definitely not UNIX" are wrong? Just how far are you going with this damage control after getting destroyed?
>>
>>55807193
It's a great kernel. Just avoid GNU for core userland shit when possible.

Example: Don't use bash as /bin/sh, even if retards give bash scripts #!/bin/sh headers. Or use ksh for /bin/sh, it'll normally work since bash is an inferior ksh ripoff. Seriously, using bash as sh is what made shellshock a big deal. Don't use the coreutils. Don't use glibc. Don't use gnutls. Don't use gcc or gdb. Don't use emacs. Don't use info. It's all garbage.

What kind of literal retard thinks long options are easier to use anyways?

>more typing
>more complex info to remember
>=more chances to fuck up a command
>>
>>55823447
>and in a copyright sense BSD is very definitely not UNIX®
actual quote from the documentation

notice how they have to add the copyright symbol every time they mention it too, since they'd get sued otherwise
>>
>>55823389
>It is tho
sounds like you don't know what the fuck you're talking about
>>
>>55823453
>tfw info comes with openbsd
for what fucking purpose man, it's so bad
>>
>>55823459
>notice how they have to add the copyright symbol every time they mention it too, since they'd get sued otherwise
Of course, because UNIX is a trademark. That's what shits like you don't understand. That's why this worthless braindead shitstain >>55821435 got raped into the ground for making retarded statements. That's why BSD is not UNIX. Linux is tho. Stay mad, dumbfucks!
>>
>>55823477
It doesn't make sense to have it without GNU's tools. Its primary purpose is reading info pages because GNU refused to write good man pages.

>GNU
"man ed" tells you to run info, which gives you an ed tutorial and a lengthy, kind of vague, spaced out reference for ed's functions. It's almost like they thought normies would be interested in using anything that needed a manual. What a bunch of fucking autists.
>BSD
"man ed" gives you a concise, compact reference for all of ed's functions. These guys understand their audience.
>>
>>55823497
i don't know what it is about your posts, but they're really fucking obnoxious to read

but keep trying to misrepresent the situation by removing a few words from a quote
>>
>>55823447
>Are you saying that braindead retard is right
Yes
>the people that wrote the FreeBSD documentation saying "BSD is very definitely not UNIX" are wrong?
No, they're also right. But the "braindead retard" was talking about Unix lineage while FreeBSD was saying that their OS is not SUSv3 certified. Both are right, both mean different things.

>>55823467
Says the piece of shit troll
>>
>>55823508
i love how all the info pages have a lot of words and chapters that actually don't say anything at all

it's the Bad Unix Documentation Syndrome all over again, just try reading the emacs info pages and prepare to give up early
>>
behold, the majesty of LINUX:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/255161/comments/28
>>
>>55823497
>Of course, because UNIX is a trademark. That's what shits like you don't understand
I understand it perfectly. What you don't understand is that he wasn't talking about the trademark, he was talking about the operating system family. The OS family is real Unix, the trademark is just an expensive piece of paper.
>Linux is tho
Quit saying that. Linux is a kernel. Out of a plethora of Linux distros, only K-UX is UNIX certified (but it's still not Unix).
>>
>>55823542
im a bsd user but that's clearly not the kernel's fault
>>
>>55823559
it's gnu garbage, same thing
>>
>>55823386
From Wikipedia:

Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) is a Unix operating system derivative developed and distributed by the Computer Systems Research Group (CSRG) of the University of California, Berkeley, from 1977 to 1995. Today the term "BSD" is often used non-specifically to refer to any of the BSD descendants which together form a branch of the family of Unix-like operating systems. Operating systems derived from the original BSD code remain actively developed and widely used.

Then there is a BSD Then and Now.
>>
what's bsd? bullshit distro?
>>
>>55823510
>really fucking obnoxious to read
I think you take it too personally when your arguments are destroyed by superior logic and you start raging like a 12 year old.
Just be happy I schooled you on what UNIX really is.
>>55823511
>the "braindead retard" was talking about Unix lineage
You must be as blind as you're stupid. He wasn't talking about "Unix", he was actually talking about "UNIX". But we all know at this point you're just in damage control mode. It's ok, everyone knows! :^)
>>55823558
>he wasn't talking about the trademark, he was talking about the operating system family
More backpedaling and damage control? No, UNIX has a well established meaning and you can't make shit up to damage control for getting told. Just how fucking retarded are you to not understand?
>only K-UX is UNIX certified
Which makes Linux a proper UNIX. Too bad you can't say the same about BSDs.
>>
>>55823530
Fuck, Emacs. It's so nice at first compared to its bloated friend Vim, but the manual is a less-than-informative mess. If you want to do anything advanced regarding emacs' functionality you should expect to figure it out through reading the source of its millions of tiny extensions, the built in debugger, and trial and error. Vim's documentation, while still for a bloated editor that does too much, is a lot more useful.

.>>55823542
The glory of GNU's coreutils
>>
>>55823605
i can't believe you're actually making the distinction between Unix and UNIX

how fucking autistic do you have to be to do that
>>
>>55823605
enjoy your linux
>>
>>55823589
>Unix-like
yeah, just like linux
>>
>>55823605
>He wasn't talking about "Unix", he was actually talking about "UNIX"
You know damned well that the two are used interchangeably all the time. You can't assume he meant one or the other just based on character case.
>More backpedaling and damage control?
I've yet to do either.
>Which makes Linux a proper UNIX
No, it makes K-UX Linux a UNIX certified operating system.
>>
>>55823613
>I can't believe I'm getting told for using words I don't understand
>>
>>55823611
that's pretty much what i had to do to understand how to configure one of the modes

mine didn't even come with the gzipped elisp files so i had to look them up on github, it was a pain in the ass

fuck whoever wrote the emacs documentation, i don't understand why most of the modes don't have configuration variables listed in the info pages
>>
>>55823643
You can understand but not care

Nobody cares about the certification except autists who use it to measure their e-peen, and nobody cares about their opinions

get fucked
>>
Alright Give me real reasons to choose BSD over GNU/Linux. How can it replace my daily OS?
>>
>>55823667
/usr/ports
>>
>>55823675
separation of the base from additional software is nice but old-style ports systems are fucking garbage

if you have a vendor-defiend base system, just use nextstep bundles since the major deps will always be there. it's 2016, we have the technology. 1tb+ drives, and the maturity required to not waste them on coalgirls animes.
>>
>>55823640
>You can't assume he meant one or the other just based on character case.
Then why do you make the same assumption about my post? Why did you assume I'm not talking about the variant which matches the case? I'm not expecting any rational answer, I know you're in damage control mode after getting destroyed like this.
>yet to do either
You're doing it right now! :^)
>it makes K-UX Linux a UNIX certified operating system
Yes, that's what I said: it makes Linux a proper UNIX. Are you assuming I'm not talking about the trademark? Why? Are you too fucking mentally ill to keep a coherent argument?
>>
>>55823675
>ports
You mean the things that are already in PPA or the repo?
>>
>>55823667
well what do you do with it

also don't switch unless you really want to, if you're fine with linux, that's good

>>55823611
"After using info, you will really appreciate our man pages!" -OpenBSD FAQ

>>55823703
i just use the binary packages, ports are intended for devs
>>
>>55823653
>Nobody cares
>but I'm mad that linux is UNIX while bsd is not
>>
>>55823704
>Are you too fucking mentally ill to keep a coherent argument?
says the guy who searches this board for BSD threads to shitpost in them for hours
>>
>>55823430
NetBSD's ath driver doesnt work here
OpenBSD crashes after install

ironic that the ramdisk kernel works but not the regular kernel
>>
>>55823704
>Then why do you make the same assumption about my post? Why did you assume I'm not talking about the variant which matches the case?
Context made it quite obvious you meant the certification.
>Yes, that's what I said: it makes Linux a proper UNIX.
No, it makes K-UX UNIX. It means nothing for the other gazillion Linux distros.
>Are you assuming I'm not talking about the trademark?
Of course not. But what you're trying to say is that K-UX got certification so all Linux distros are UNIX. This doesn't even apply even if K-UX was ported to a different architecture, it'd need to be recertified. For example, Mac OS X 10.5 on Intel is UNIX certified but Apple never had the PowerPC version certified, so even though Leopard was certified as UNIX, the PowerPC version still isn't.
>>
>>55823721
>well what do you do with it
Browsing/researching, Writing reports, Media/file share and visualization, virtualization servers. I use KTechlab for most of my work as well.
>>
>>55823767
And I also set up my pulseaudio server last week. Works like charm
>>
>>55823767
>Browsing/researching
yup
>Writing reports
latex and openoffice are available
>Media/file share and visualization
you mean with NFS? all BSDs have that, they also have samba
>virtualization servers
not familiar with virtualization in general but freebsd has bhyve
>KTechlab
no port in sight, but it's open source so maybe it compiles
>pulseaudio
available in openbsd and freebsd
>>
>>55823817
oh and also by openoffice i mean libreoffice, obviously

i still get them confused
>>
>>55823762
>ironic that the ramdisk kernel works but not the regular kernel
sounds like a bug to me

but yeah you should probably use freebsd then
>>
>>55823817
For CAD testing I actually passthrough GPU. Can behyve work with remote virtual servers like VMWare? Also, doesn't pulse audio depend on systemd? Is that avialable in Free or OpenBSD?
>>
>>55823867
There is no systemd in either operating systems. I assume they patched it appropriately or else there wouldn't be a port.

>Can behyve work with remote virtual servers like VMWare?
Bhyve itself is the virtualization software, so I don't think we're on the same page here.
>>
>>55823867
also i think you'll be happy to know that i looked through the ktechlab tarball, and it seems like it has support for openbsd compilation as there's an option for that in the configure file

i can't actually compile it as i don't have the KDE libraries and i dont feel like installing them
>>
>>55823764
>you were right all along
But you had to backpedal and damage control for tens of posts. You are the absolute shit of /g/. Enjoy your echo chamber, dumb fucks.
TOLD, REKT & FINISHED
/thread
>>
>>55823918
edgy
>>
File: jew.jpg (191KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
jew.jpg
191KB, 1600x900px
>>
>>55823885
And the PCIe Passthrough?

>>55823909
Nice

But I still can't find a real reason to install BSD over Linux. Give me a set of nice reasons.

I tried BSD in KVM/QEMU but couldn't find simple screen recorder in ports
>>
>>55823918
I never backpedaled though you fucking moron.
>You are the absolute shit of /g/
Says the guy who does literally nothing but shitpost in BSD threads
>>
>>55823958
>And the PCIe Passthrough?
Apparently exists.
https://wiki.freebsd.org/bhyve/pci_passthru

>But I still can't find a real reason to install BSD over Linux. Give me a set of nice reasons.
it's really up to preference

>I tried BSD in KVM/QEMU but couldn't find simple screen recorder in ports
freebsd has recordmydesktop, i don't know if ffmpeg on it's own can actually grab X11 if all else fails

i don't think recordmydesktop would be too hard to port, so i don't know why it's not in the openbsd ports tree now (it used to be)
>>
Ugh. Why is installing packages so convoluted..
>>
>>55824287
doas pkg_add package

What's so difficult?
>>
>>55824299
how did u make that lower dash??
>>
>>55824299
>package not found
>>
>>55823723
No, I'm not that guy. I'm mad that you think it matters.

It's the computer equivalent of some kid that talks up his turbo inline four slowmobile because it's called "ford mustang". It has a famous name, but that doesn't mean it's good, or that it's a fucking racecar and not a shitty commuter (ie: that your OS is for big iron mainframes simulating black holes and not running a measly five-user mail server).

And the famous name isn't related to being good either - like the mustang brand is complete shit to other ford accomplishments, UNIX is complete shit compared to later OSes made by bell labs, such as plan 9. And, like the modern mustang, it's an overcomplicated clusterfuck compared to your dad's easy to work on and easy to work with dinosaur OS, not a paragon of simplicity. In fact, it's so bloated that other bloat is trivial in comparison, so you might as well abandon the inferior bloat and go drive a GNU/Niissan.

Disclaimer: I used a car analogy because I think you re fucking dumb.
>>
File: free_bsd.jpg (164KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
free_bsd.jpg
164KB, 1280x1024px
>>
File: BSD1.jpg (414KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
BSD1.jpg
414KB, 1600x1200px
>>
>>55824879
What's up with this whores stomach
>>
>>55824903
>>55824893
>>55824879
>Linux user: secure in his masculinity and sexuality, had sex twice in college and dates girls at furry and anime conventions on the regular, may even be in a successful marriage with his dream girl.
>BSD user: Desperate to hide his secret gay transexual desires, constantly posts scantily clad women doing computer things, unknowingly enjoying them because he wishes he was the women. May be in a failing, loveless marriage he only started to deny his gayness.
>>
>>55824989
>dates girls at furry and anime conventions on the regular
that's not a good thing
>>
>>55824879
>>55824893
Are you literally retarded?
>>
>>55825011
>He's had so little sex that he still enjoys the missionary position
>Not going where the kinky bitches are
>not going where there's a minute chance of finding a girl under 200lbs who knows who rms is

Get a load of this choir boy
>>
>>55825011
>that's not a good thing?

FTFY
>>
>>55825058
>anime and furry conventions
>girl under 200lbs
lol
>>
>>55825055
Ironically
>>
>>55825077
I don't think you know how fat, uh, i mean, HIGH TEST, a weight like 160lbs actually is for most women
>>
>>55825077
>>
>>55817943
>gpl is jewish
>adopted by finnish programmer
>>
>>55819967
stallman is rich af. macarthur grant dumbfuck. hes just not materialistic.
>>
are there any patches out there to prevent mg from switching to the compile buffer every time i execute the compile function?
>>
>BSD thread is made
>GNU shills keep coming in and say Linux is better without giving any reasons
autism is real
I bet they try to be conformist despite their autism, too.
>>
Didn't Moot choose FreeBSD to host 4chan simply because it said it was free?
>>
File: freebsdgirl.jpg (36KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
freebsdgirl.jpg
36KB, 624x351px
>>55807168
>>55807168

Posting BSD waifu
>>
>>55827800
i think it says a lot about her if even san francisco based developers didn't like her and kicked her out
>>
File: arch.jpg (8KB, 220x229px)
arch.jpg
8KB, 220x229px
I liked pc-bsd when I had it on my R60 frankenpad, but suspend/resume was broken and then moused took a shit for some reason.......
>>
>>55827872
i just tried pc-bsd recently and honestly you're better off just using freebsd

the installer doesn't even let you use UFS instead of ZFS, come the fuck on
>>
>>55827891

Huh. I also tried freebsd, everything seemed to work, x was kinda finicky, but suspend was still broken. I'm back to debian on the R60, but I might put freebsd on my desktop
>>
>>55819967
he got 1million dollar check from linux foundation alone
btw do you really think he does all these talks for free? every venue he is at has to pay for his transport, meals and a fee to give an hour lecture is more than you make working for half a year
>>
>>55827955
did he insult your precious god
>>
File: 7lpRrX2.png (134KB, 299x321px) Image search: [Google]
7lpRrX2.png
134KB, 299x321px
>>55807168
Call me when installation, ease of use and application library reaches anywhere that of Ubuntu/Fedora.
>>
>>55827982
no but calling him a bum is wrong since 99.999% of the time he is the most wealthy person in the room, even though it does not look like it
>>
>>55828009
Nobody gives a shit if it's too hard for you to use, anon. BSD exists simply for the people who want to use it. If you don't want to use it, then don't.
>>
>>55828032
Shit argument for a shit OS. If I have to waste 60 minutes on an OS when I can do the same in 15 minutes in another, your OS is shit.
BSD is for fags that would rather waste their time installing and building their applications rather than actually using them.
Next you're going to tell me you cook to get pictures on your Instagram.
Did I hit a nerve?
>>
>>55828157
what is it about these threads that attract autists like you
>>
>>55828169
Self-proclaimed psychiatrists that like to project their developmental and social disorders on to others when they're proven wrong.
>>
>>55828223
what did you even prove wrong
>>
>>55828032
This. Some people just never get it.
>>
File: 20160521150642481333305.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
20160521150642481333305.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>>55828237
The 5 stages of grief are denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. I think I know in which you fall under.
>>
>>55828292
oh, are you the "lol ur in a denial" faggot?
>>
>>55828319
Acceptance is the only way you can get over the fact you're objectively wrong. The faster you arrive there, the faster you can move on with your life and free yourself from the trash that are BSDs.
>>
>>55828348
just eat your tendies, fucktard
>>
>>55828381
More were at the anger phase. Next up is bargaining.
>>
>>55812381
you are inflating a lot of different things and pretending using gnu/linux is accepting all this shit

linux is a kernel, arguably the best kernel available right now (until hurd is ready), bsd ones sucks in comparisons, sorry

binary blobs are shit, agree, but if you want to use some hardware you have to use this cancer until someone reverse-engineer it and make a free implementation, just a question of time anyway, you can always compile linux without including blobs and you can refrain to download proprietary firmware, just buy compatible hardware and you are golden

de/wm are literally the same you can find on bsd, so what's the problem exactly? Having more choice scare you?

about systemd I don't have an informed opinion sadly, it somewhat works, unit files are a little more readable than shell scripts and enable/disabling services is finally easy and use a consistent syntax in every distro. however there are some unacceptable things like binary logs, growing complexity and centralization of too much functionality onto one single component
the upside is that distros are becoming essentially the same, so systemd is effectively killing linux fragmentation, its #1 problem

however any of these problems is easily resolved installing gentoo instead of an operating system designed for and by pretentious hipsters
>>
>>55829101
he probably uses OS X as a desktop *BSD, and it only has one officially supported UI framework so there is no gtk2 vs gtk3 vs qt4 vs qt5 and haphazard individualism vs gnome HIG vs ubuntu HIG shit going on.
>>
>>55807168
And there is a giant windows logo in the back of the picture looking down on two faggot ant sized dickhoppers fighting
>>
want to try a bsd in a vm, which variant do you suggest? I'm not scared of cli and can read a manual

>>55822156
>>55823542
>>55823575
why do you hate gnu and linux though? just because is more successful?
I'm sure half of you self proclaimed BSD fags are really microshills in disguise

>>55829279 is on spot sadly
>>
>>55829392
openbsd

best used on bare metal though
>>
>>55829392
Sadly? No
>>
>>55829724
fuck off bill
>>
>>55828157
>implying
It takes 10 minutes to get a BSD running. It's not hard.
>>
Sorry about the other BSD thread, I thought we were past bump limit and made a new one.
>>
>>55828157
Stop spreading FUD asshole.
>>
I don't see why GNU/Linux and BSD can't co-exist peacefully together.
>>
>>55819898
Stallman doesn't do online banking.
>>
>>55824989
kek you are right though. All BSD users are closet mactards

They pretend to use BSD so they can fit in, they don't want to be called mactoddlers anymore
>>
>>55825058
>Not going where the kinky bitches are
No way in hell do females go to furfag conventions, but I bet tomoko tier girls who have some really masochist fetishes would be at some of the anime conventions.
>>
>>55830815
Because OP thinks his browser OS is better. Ask him for some real reasons to use BSD over Linux (being a hipster doesn't count) , he'll fail miserably.
>>
If you're STILL not using a BSD in 2016. fucking kill yourself
>>
>>55831328
Give it some time. BSD is in the same position linux was before steam for linux was released.
>>
>>55830864
i guess you're right, that would require prop software
>>
File: chicken hug.webm (157KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
chicken hug.webm
157KB, 360x360px
>>55831328
>>
I wish I wasn't such a gaming faggot so that I could be happy with using older hardware and OpenBSD as a desktop.
>>
File: scr-20160730163903.png (60KB, 1368x768px) Image search: [Google]
scr-20160730163903.png
60KB, 1368x768px
I've been using OpenBSD since the early 2000's, but only because everything else is a lot worse.
I'd rather have my old Amiga 500 and be back in the good old days of dialup BBS.
Quite frankly modern hardware is shit and so are the OS. I guess TempleOS is interesting, but it seems like a step backwards from Amiga 500. Sure, it runs on more powerful hardware, but that hardware is overcomplicated botnet shit, and it's not as simple/fun to code as M68000 and the Amiga's custom chips.
So anyway, fuck all this lame, boring modern shit.
>>
>>55807693
I'm glad CVS keeps some plebs away from OpenBSD. Keeps the code quality higher.
>>
>>55821323
The old saying is true:
Linux is for people who hate Windows.
BSD is for people who love Unix.
Ironically Linux becomes more like Windows every passing year.
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.