[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 355
Thread images: 16

Previously on: >>55795168

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928## - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097## - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://ghostbin.com/paste/b6gpb
>>
>>55805370
Yes, it is.
Logs don't tell me anything out of the ordinary. Executing i3bar --bar_id etc.

Running i3bar from terminal displays it though. Seems to me i3 doesn't want to start it for some reason, or it starts and finishes for some reason.
>>
ITT: Jealous hipster neckbeards wishing they could play games on their shitty toy OS
>>
>>55805570
>Toy OS
Linux is not windows, dumb /v/ tard
>>
>>thirty: third party
>>Really trying to save keystrokes there huh

>Are you aware there is a number named 'thirty'?

Sorry I've been on /g/ too much the last 2 days and it's fucking with my head.
>>
>>55805541
Actually, nevermind. There's an issue on github that is my exact case, and basically lightdm broke it.
>>
>>55805570
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_games
These games are better for your brain anyway.
tuxmath is pretty fun but you feel like an 8 year old especially on easy modes.
>>
>>55805639
at least you figured it out.
That's a score.
>>
>>55805643
Super tux racer, extreme tux racer and 0ad are genuinely fun games.
>>
I installed Kubuntu through the terminal, however the installation yielded some errors and, in the end, it took me nowhere so I thought that Kubuntu wasn't really installed or anything.

However, I restarted the PC a while ago and noticed that everything changed, from the longin screen to the desktop to the one of Kubuntu.

Question is, what happened to ''Ubuntu'' if that makes sense? Can I change it back?
>>
>>55805571
>Just searx "soundblaster whatever" chip linux and you will have results.
Nothing good actually.

>Why are you using a motherfucking soundcard in 2016 anyways?
What?

>Are you using Pulseaudio?
No, I'll try.

> Is your stuff plugged into the right outputs?
Nothing moved since it last worked.

> Troubleshooting sound is a major pain in the butt if the other person is not right next to you.
I know. But then just imagine how hard it is to find a solution to such a basic problem when you're all alone and know nothing. I can't even imagine how hard it was when people didn't have Internet. Well, I'll continue searching, still have a bit of hope left.
>>
>>55805665
I'll just go back to gnome until something breaks there.
>>
>>55805704
>What?
Literally every modern mobo has integrated sound and graphics. Only the most autistic of audiophiles would need a dedicated sound card.
>>
File: 2016-07-29 01.30.15.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-29 01.30.15.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
How do i fix this anons?
>>
>>55805726
What about musicians? People who work with sound?
Don't be ignorant.
>>
>>55805734
Press control c and skip it, it isnt a critical service.Then go in to your config and change it
>>
>>55805643
>>55805682
Wow, it's like nothing evolved for years. That's it, I really wanted to try switching OS but I'm out after reading such hypocritical comments.

And it works for everything. Everything is always "yes, but".
On paper I'll admit Linux is way better, but when you use it there's way too many problems and limitations. It saddens me to say I still have no choice to go back on Windows, but yeah...
>>
>>55805740
Musicians are autistic by definition.
>>
>>55805734
i had that too. You should have dhcpcd.service enabled, you don't need this one. Go into your /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ directory and just move [email protected] to your home folder (or rm it)
>>
>>55805726
Yeah sorry I didn't really think, most people actually don't need it. But like >>55805740
said...
>>
>>55805704
Installing Pulseaudio would make it harder, I asked because traces of Pulseaudio can make it impossible for you to get it to work.
You didn't tell us before that it worked before. Can you tell us what happened in between?
I remember well how it was when I first had to troubleshoot sound without any experience. I basically just tried any setting until it worked.
Are you sure alsa uses the right device?
What do you use to test if your sound works?
>>
>>55805759
>Then go in to your config and change it
change what? i already tried some shit from archwiki but it is not working
>>
>>55805740
>implying there's a single professional audio engineer that doesn't use a macbook
>>
>>55805761
Children and children's games don't benefit the community so if you'd kindly fuck off, thanks.
>>
>>55805740
Why would musicians need one? They have amps and dacs.
>>
>>55805761
If you really need to play GTA5 or whatever keep a dualboot windows7 OS on a cheap HDD. I haven't touched mine in months. These games really aren't something to satisfy you in the long run.
>>
>>55805761
>too many problems and limitations
Only the problems you cause by not reading verbaitem or you're too retarded to think on your own for what is happening
>>
>>55805786
see
>>55805772
it just automatically tries to start everything in that dir
just rm it. you can always re-enable
>>
>>55805786
Your dhcp is not setup properly(as noted in your screen shot...)
Go in and configure it properly
journalctl -xe
>>
>>55805778
Thanks for still trying to help.
So :
- Yes, Alsa uses the right device
- I use vids I have on my HDs to test, and Youtube vids

>ou didn't tell us before that it worked before. Can you tell us what happened in between?
Nah I was actually talking about sound working on Windows.
Sorry I may not be very claer, I'm a bit drunk and english is not my first language
>>
>>55805778
>makes it harder
Maybe 10 years ago.
It is just a layer upon alsa, if you dont configure alsa properly, of course nothing that is over it will function
>>
>>55805791
>Children and children's games
I'm really interested in persons like you with extreme viewpoints.
Please, please answer to this : what makes the difference between a childen game and an adult game?
>>
>>55805791
So hostile.
I assume you dont use opengl ever?
>>
>>55805838
Almost entirely whether they use the word 'shit' or not.
>>
>>55805838
One of them involves 360 MLG quickscopping your opponents
>>
>>55805772
Thanks anon, it is ok now.
>>
>>55805804
No, don't say I'm an idiot after I spent hours using my google-fu for simple problems, and it still doesn't work, sorry.
About thinking on my own, dude, I'm not asking for a fucking challenge for whatever small action I want to take. I was actuaklly planning on going deeper than the usual Windows user view but at least just let me have a basic system that fucking works without me having to try to figure out a language I don't know. I really can see how over the long run Linux can do things better.
But, fuck, it's really harder than Windows to use right now. And it's not about habits. It's about logic. You can't guess a command line, you can guess that x setting is in x part and just click on it.
>>
>>55805893
>quickscope
>noscope
pleb
>>
>>55805893
>quickscoping
When did the bar fall so low?
>>
>>55805825
What is your first language?
Okay, did you still try to replug things? Because sometimes windows switches outputs on some mobos, I had the same problem once.
What is the exact name of your sound device?
I will find out which driver it needs.
What distro and DE are you on?
May be obvious but did you try turning it off and on again?
Can you post Alsamixer again? The whole default view if possible.
I am pretty sure it is just something minor you overlooked. Is it a laptop with a button for mute?
>>55805830
No, if you remove pulseaudio incorrectly it can still leave traces that will destroy your efforts.
>>
>>55805893
Games are not only FPS, you know.
>>
>>55805799
Sometimes I reinstall windows thinking "Man I'd love to play some games". But in the end it always turns out, that I don't really like playing games that much anymore anyway. GNU/Linux can play a lot of games and I don't play those either.
>>
>>55805897
I didn't do it for your benefit. Now that you've left a hole in your systemd folder I can gain root access and steal all your bitcoins.
So thank YOU, anon.
>not sure if I should say "just kidding"
>>
>>55805903
>No, don't say I'm an idiot after I spent hours using my google-fu for simple problems, and it still doesn't work, sorry.
If you spent hours and couldn't find solutions to simple problems, then your google-fu is not what you think it is. You may in fact be an idiot as he claims.
>>
Why texlive so fucking huge.
>>
>>55805938
Yeah it just feels like a waste of time, whereas messing with config for a few minutes/hours a day is genuinely fun and somewhat educational.
>>
>>55805903
>fucking challenge
windows is a huge fucking challenge, i cannot stand being in it, it is the biggest clusterfuck i have ever seen. Its "defaults" are fucking retarded. I cant fathom using it for daily use, shit is just fucked up
>cli
So when i go in to windows, i have to click 20 windows to try and find one setting that shouldnt be hidden away but is for some reason
>cli
one command.

You dont have to use fucking gentoo, use buntu for all i care,
You're making it a challenge.

I change to linux when vista came out, the only "issues" i have are not RTFM and changing my configs when shit gets updated.
So again

Its not a challenge.
>>
>>55805963
It IS a challenge for people who refuse to learn anything that is even slightly different from what they already know.
>>
>>55805934
>destroy
Are you this retarded?
The only thing that would be "left behind" that you could have configured, would be ~/.asoundrc

Removing pulse, takes its self away.
>>
>>55805934
>incorrectly
>packagemanger <remove> pulseaudio
Done.
>>
>>55805981
Get a fucking mac then, and suck steve's job
No choices there, just bend over and let them configure it for you
>>
>>55805981
It's not that I refuse. Why do you think I'm asking questions here after having searched for myself?
It's just that, face it, it's harder to figure out Linux, it's not as intuitive as Windows is in the beginning.
>>
>>55805981
>>55805963
>>55805952
>>55805903
You honestly pick it up pretty quickly if you just try.
Learn to use systemctl/service and it's like a one-size-fits-all debugging tool. Mostly.
>try to start a service
>check the service status
>comes back with big red error
>either error is written in english (great! I speak that!) or it is google-able.
>>
>>55805987
Yes, and this is exactly why some new users have issues with it. I lurk this thread since before it was fglt and it occured often that people had pulse, removed it but didn't purge it and had no clue what to do.
>>
>>55806046
>install ubuntu
>press yes till it reboots
>gui boots
>>
>>55806046
I started with it at 14 years old in 2004 and never had any major issues. Google was always enough to figure things out.

Maybe it's just you.
>>
>>55805940
take m all, i dont care
>>
>>55806046
No, windows is harder, I would know, I grew up on mac os and then switched to windows before going GNU/Linux. The reason why you think it is harder is because you started with windows.
>>
>>55806051
>You honestly pick it up pretty quickly if you just try.

Try working IT; people don't try.
>>
>>55806056
haha
How do you not notice leftover config files?
It's like when you uninstall something in Windows and it leaves that empty folder in your program files. That shit always bugged me, and leftover config files are way more concerning in Linux.
>>
>>55806001
Thet doesn't remove config files.
>>
>>55806056
There is nothing to purge you fucking nigger.

>/usr/bin/pulse
>/etc/pulse

This is all you need to remove for pulse to be nullified

>/usr/share/pulseaudio*
Wont matter at all if it is left over.

That is all there is, unless your retarded and are installing out side of your package manager, there is nothing to "purge"
>>
>>55805934
>What is your first language?
French.

See pic for other infos I guess.

No it's not a laptop, I'll try checking basic plugs and stuff again but I feel like this is a specific problem, I can't figure out why tho
>>
I want to distribute some options to multiple commands and make an alias of it

so for example
alias --version

would execute
foo --version
&
foo2 ---version
&
foo3 --version

how?
>>
>>55806130
Someone in the old thread just posted that your sound card has horrible drivers and might actually be the issue.
>>
File: 1469491850383.gif (78KB, 182x250px) Image search: [Google]
1469491850383.gif
78KB, 182x250px
>>55806119
Then your package manager is SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT

If i uninstall pulse right now, it will be removed from my system, it removes ALL OF ITS SELF. Because pulse has been removed :^)

The ONLY "config' would be asoundrc
>>
>>55806144
put a script that runs foo --version; foo2 --version; etc in your path, or if you insist on using an alias
alias bar="foo --version; foo2 --version; etc;"
>>
>>55806144
alias version='$1 --version'

version foo
>>
>>55805934
>What is your first language?
French.

See pic for other infos I guess.

>>55806153
Yeah just seen that. I plugged into my mobo for sound and it works now.
So yeah it was my soundcard that was specifically problematic. Meh.
>>
File: bbb.png (2MB, 3200x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bbb.png
2MB, 3200x1080px
>>55806215
>>
installed xubuntu and can't get my wifi adapter to work, got the drivers installed using the ndwrapper on the .inf but i am dumb and have no idea what i'm doing

help

plz
>>
>>55806239
sudo wifi-menu
>>
>>55806239
i should mention i have no wired connection also
>>
>>55806283
wifi-menu is an arch only tool m8
>>
>>55806293
fuck :D
>>
>>55806239
Do you have network manager installed? Run nmtui
>>
Hey guys.
How do you handle power management?

>systemctl suspend
>wakes on keyboard strokes
This also seems to eat up a seriously concerning amount of battery on the laptop (like 0.5% per hr) but its fine for desktop.

Is there anything better out there or do I just have to cope?
>>
>>55806339
no network manager
i guess what im looking for is a general overview of what i should be doing.

i have the driver installed, i have the adapter plugged in, how would i go about configuring it and what would i need to do so?
>>
>>55806345
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management
>>
>>55806345

I haven't got around to handling it yet but I will say it's far more awkward as it's typically less efficient out of the box and far less user friendly

if you don't want to end up reading a lot of man pages and googling to figure out where to look next, powertop might be a somewhat quick and simple solution but I've never had much success with it
>>
I think I want to try xfce. I have a question though, is there a dark theme for it?
>>
>>55806239
I just did this for my brother.
Pretty simple and google-able.
Involves unloading and/or loading the correct kernel module.
It's funny to me that Ubuntu doesn't come with working WiFi for so many cards. Might as well go with Arch if you're having to mess with kernel mods, haha. Not really though....
>>
>>55806309
People make fun of arch for being "hard to install" but it actually includes a lot of tools that make it wicked easy compared to other distros. I honestly think that arch is easier to install than debian for a minimal wifi-based install because of it. Actually, debian has no way to connect to wifi from a minimal install at all, because it's missing any network manager.
>>
>>55806390
i've tried on a couple different occasions for about an hour each time with no progress. every time i google it i get a list of help pages all with different backwards-ass ways of getting it up and running. the most progress i've made so far is getting the driver for my belkin n600 actually installed
>>
>>55806397
Yeah, I still prefer hooking into ethernet if I'm doing an install, but it's pretty easy to get wifi working soon after chroot.
>>
>>55806426
Wait, is this an external adapter?
>>
>>55806426

Oh my god the first link is hilarious.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/394159/belkin-n600-usb-wireless-adapter-on-ubuntu-12-04

>I have an old Compaq desktop that my children use to access the internet. The kids have repeatedly managed to severely infect the computer with viruses, and this latest round has been a doozy. A friend recently sold me on Ubuntu as a great windows replacement since it is not prone to viruses, so I decided to to give it a go.

>I completely overwrote windows with Ubuntu 12.04 to get rid of the viruses, but I can not figure out how to make the wireless network dongle work. I have Googled the topic and tried to go through some of the solutions, but I don't know what I'm doing and I think I may be making things worse. Can someone help me with this? I know NOTHING about Linux and most of the instructions aren't written for someone like me.
>>
Can someone tell me eazyest way to install .deb in Arch. I just installed it and im confused
>>
>>55806510
yeah a USB dongle
>>
File: 1469661644729.jpg (198KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1469661644729.jpg
198KB, 600x600px
How do you guys manage your dotfiles? Some people say that you should let them in your home folder, others say that you need to create a .dotfiles folder and dump everything there, etc.
>>
Babby's first linux here. Installed Lubuntu on my old laptop. I have a few questions.

How can I set command keys? Like I figured out Ctrl+Alt+T opens up the terminal. But I can't find the program to edit/add more of these. Like I want Ctrl+Alt+C to open Chromium, Ctrl+Alt+S to open the software center, Ctrl+Alt+F to open file manager, etc.

Is there a way that I can change the task bar applications to just show the name of the program? Like the HexChat just says "HexChat", Chromium just says "Chromium", etc.
>>
>>55806560
you make a pkgbuild of it your self
or you get a converter from the aur to do it for you
>>
Does anyone have experience with installing GNU/Linux on Chromebooks? I'm curious what flavor people have used with moderate to high success in hardware support.
>>
File: urmomisagimp.png (183KB, 1270x1008px) Image search: [Google]
urmomisagimp.png
183KB, 1270x1008px
>>55806567
Look at my home folder and take a guess.
It's fucking disgusting.
>>
Thinking about installing xubuntu or Lubuntu on my laptop (t420) beside windows 7. Xubuntu seems a little more stable and polished so that's what I'm thinking so far. I'm the past I mostly used mint
>>
>>55806567
I just keep them in my home folder, unless they have to be in .config/, then i keep them there.
>>
>>55806690

Try Xubuntu. No reason to run Lubuntu on a T420.
>>
what options to add in fstab for ssd?
>>
What's the best Firefox fork on Ubuntu? Any other exclusive browser to Ubuntu that are interesting? Preferably something with a decent amount of plugin/addons options.
>>
>>55806628
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Keyboard
>>
>>55806743
iceweasle? idk whats ur gripe with the std version?
>>
>>55806757
Nothing wrong with the standard version desu. I'm just used to have a fuckton of tabs opened all the time and had been told Cyber manages that better that std. Thanks for iceweasle suggestion I'll try.
>>
>>55806737
rw,relatime,data=ordered
nothing really
>>
>>55806794
iceweasel is plug and play with burpsuite, that's the only reason I'd have to use it.
>>
>>55806737
I do "noatime" and disable journaling completely
# tune2fs -O ^has_journal [device]
>>
>>55806796
no discard?
>>
is atom working good on Arch?
>>
>>55806829
Don't need it and it has potential performance impact as per the man page.
I usually keep anything bigger than a gig on the ol' HDD.
>>
>>55806567
I dont want to spend hours symlinking or changing programs to use this new dotfile folder
There is a reason they are dotfiles
hide hidden files/folder.Its not like it prevents you from editing them
>>
>>55806737
defaults,noatime,commit=60,barrier=0 0 1
use fstrim once a week and you're golden
>>
>>55806881
let's see that homefolder ls -al
>>
>>55806881
>>55806700
>>55806675
>>55806567
>should I config my config?
Now it's really getting abstract
Yeah I think about this a lot actually
>>
>>55806978
>>55806567
It's sort of like that show "Hoarders"
Once it gets to a certain point, there's no way you have time to clean it all up yourself. Just too much to deal with, so you let it stack up and eventually your house is full of feces and mice droppings like this guy >>55806675
>>
>>55805570
I don't have time for games, I study and learn new things everyday. Gaming is fun but a totally waste of time in the end. It brings joy but not productivity. If I want to have fun, I use YouTube.
>>
>>55807232
But fun is important anon.
>>
>>55807232
>i use youtube
>i watch OTHER PEOPLE having fun instead of actually going out and having fun first hand
Yeah
Totally productive and fun
>>
>>55807267
Search for game of the year and play it. It's fun as hell
>>
>>55806194
>>55806204
I used --version as an example

I want to enter 'alias' whatever-ever-paremater
>>
>>55807267
And learning new skills is, for him, and me, fun, and satisfying. And he said youtube. And I cringed a little. But to each their own.
>sentence fragments to the rescue
>>
>>55807288
And i told you how to do it, AND did it for you
>>
>>55807281
So you think I watch videos all day?
>>
>>55807304
Anything good on youtube? or is it still all pokemonGo videos
>>
>>55807304
>i go to youtube to have fun
>im productive, but i go to youtube to have fun

So you're a salary man that hates him self, and drinks when he gets home and watches what he can never accomplish on youtube
>>
>>55807322
Like this guy doesn't watch porn 4 hrs a day
>>
>>55807322
I'm 19 fucker
>>
>>55807319
Music and install Gentoo song.
>>
>>55807293
Yeah I know but I'm too old and missed too many things in my life to pretend learning something useful desu. I'll just keep drinking and playijng games. Everyone has a role to play.
>>
>>55807303
oh

Positional-Parameters

thanks
>>
>>55807344
>been an adult for >365 days
>still not an alcoholic
Get on my level. This is a linux thread after all.
>>
>>55807344
>I'm 19 fucker
even worse
>>
>>55807319
Dude.
I'm subscribed to a hundred+ channels on Youtube. Whatever you like, there's a channel for it. You just have to dig a bit for the good ones.
>>
>>55807281
Meanwhile manchildren watch twitch stream to stay "productive"
>>
>>55807387
I know man :) so much content, I don't really need games when I have YouTube.
>>
>Fucking ubuntu. Laughing my ass off.
It is not on you OP, ubuntu is just a steaming pile of shit.

What think?
>>
>>55807357
That gentoo song was pretty funny but the audio quality on youtube really is bad, and young people overuse youtube for music.

>Download a full album
>Listen to it
>?????
>No profit but still
>>
>>55807405
?
>>
>>55807378
I was never a gamer, although I played some good games and liked them. Instead of playing, I started to learn Linux and things about security. I never thought I will learn so many things. If I played games instead, I was left with some memories about then and that's all.
>>
>>55807423
Someone posted the first 2 sentences in answer to a question I had abount something failing in Ubuntu.

His opinion is that Ubuntu is a joke tho. Is he right?
>>
>>55807405
I don't see where OP mentioned ubuntu, but yeah it's pretty windows
>>
>>55807415
Yeah... It depends. I like the audio quality on Monster cat. I usually hunt new songs, YouTube is fucking useful for this. Sometimes I download albums from xmuzica.com .
>>
>>55807433
What security do you know?
I've been reversing with IDA pro for like 2 years, but just recently got into aircrack-ng.
>>
Can you really not change wallpapers in KDE 5?
>>
>>55807440
What went wrong?
>>
>>55807467
And you work for a security firm?
Oh right
>>
>>55807467
You are better than me. Right now I am hardening my system. Aircrack-ng is still a bit complicated for me, wifite seems easier for now.
>>
>>55807468
I seriously doubt that you can't change a wallpaper. KDE is garbage though.
Get a WM and hook it straight into your xinitrc. So reactive. So little animation/GUI garbage.
>>
>>55807444
Oh. Then is there a general opinion on another good beginner Linux OS?

>>55807433
Retard Windows-san here.
Where do you start learning "security"? That looks like a pretty huge topic. Interested in seeing what the basics are tho.
>>
>>55807469
Ubuntu software manager not showing anything.
"No application data found".
Can't use it at all. I downloaded Synaptic until I find a solution.
>>
>>55807478
No I never wanted to do security consulting.
I just like to know what not to do as a developer.
Also recently I've been wanting to fuck with my neighbors.
Not really sure what you're getting at.
>>
>>55807508
That software manager was always a pain in the ass. When I used Ubuntu, I got rid of Ubuntu Software Manager and Gnome software manager. All I needed was apt and Synaptic.
>>
>>55807512
>for 2 years
So you're not productive. You just want to be a moutain dew skiddy
>>
>>55807493
No, don't get me wrong, it's great for beginners to dip their toes in. I set my brother up with an Ubuntu install because he said he was going to use Mint and had no excuse other than some idiot told him it was the best.
>>
>>55807533
FUCK OFF BUTHURT. I'm not that guy but please fuck off
>>
how do i install this on ubuntu?
https://github.com/bibanon/BASC-Archiver
>>
>>55807491
Yeah, I can't find the setting. I don't think you can do it on this version.
>>
>>55807533
No, I don't like mtn dew or soda for that matter.
Beer is good though.
A little too good.
Like I said I just want to know how not to introduce security vulnerabilities into my code and maintain systems without Chinese ssh'ers cracking my password in 10 attempts.
>>
>>55807551
Seems you're not being very productive right now. You're causing unessecary blood pressure levels that will effect your productivity
:^)
>>
>>55807548
Mint is so shit these days. The software is ass old, security is worse because they muh stability and Cinnamon is a bit slow. Ubuntu is okay
>>
>>55807573
>china

>fail2ban
>pgp keys
>>
>>55807562
okay, i managed to do it. thank you guys anyway.
>>
>>55807595
Yeah I would never leave an SSH port open with plaintext auth anyway. I'm not an asshole and I've seen idiots lose their EC2 instances due to passwords like "123456"
>>
Where's that ssl pasta?
>>
>>55807488
It's not that hard at all.
What's hard is resisting the urge to kick people off a wifi network called "Yorealdaddy7"
Plus I'm hoping it's the guy downstairs who always blasts shitty bass rhythms up through my floor into my skeleton while I'm trying to interview.
>>
I'm a Windows refugee and want to move over to Linux but vidya is a big hobby of mine, so I'm thinking of dual booting - using Windows just for vidya and Linux for everything else.

I have an SSD and an HDD. Is it possible to install both OSes on just the SSD while having both OSes use the HDD for space?

I'd just need to fuck around with partitions to get this working the way I want it, right?
>>
>>55807690
But then again he's probably not smart enough to even name his network. He's probably one of the several "NETGEAR##" networks.
>>
i want to fully replace shitty win10 but i cant fucking figure it out.

>restore laptop completely
>get unetbootin
>select debian
>net install x64
>type: hard disk
>reboot
>pick unetbootin
>"failed to load windows insert windows installation disk"
>switch from uefi to legacy boot
>"insert bootable device" on boot
>reboot and hold f12 & f2 to get back in uefi settings
>turn uefi setting back to uefi from legacy
>boot
>pick OS unetbootin or win10
>pick win 10
>boots fine
>uninstall and re run unetbootin
>same shit

i wanna fucking die. can someone please help me?
>>
>>55807698
You need to fuck around with partitions pretty much regardless of dual boot.
Yeah it is possible, one small ext4 partition on SSD and you can access NTFS partitions from Linux NO PROB. Plenty of tools out there.
>>
I used to use vnstat for local bandwidth tracking.Is there something more pretty and with better graphs?
vnstat liked to shit its self and lose the db every few weeks
>>
>>55807709
Unetbootin is fucking trash. Use Rufus on Windows. Also don't pick Debian, IT'S FUCKING OLD. Pick Ubuntu or a derivate
>>
>>55807750
but i want debian. so should i install ubuntu then from there install debian?
>>
>>55807767
Make a bootable USB with Rufus. If you want UEFI, choose a GPT partition in Rufus. Better stay with Legacy. I have a bug in my Bios, GRUB made me unable to access it, I'm stuck with UEFI forever, can't reset or reflash the bios, it's the latest. :(
>>
>>55807709
>restore laptop
Okay not sure why, but okay.
>select debian
You selected the device (USB?) that holds your Linux image? Right, you want to boot that up to start the install.
>net install x64
Oh now I'm hearing you. Interesting. I would never do anything but USB, but okay let's continue.
>type hard disk
lolwut
>reboot
Now I'm afraid you've lost me.
>pick unetbootin
That's your usb device with a network downloader or something, okay. Cool.
>failed to load windows
Did you turn off fast-boot and all that fast startup shit by SHIFT+right clicking on restart from within Windows? It will enter you into BIOS settings which it sounds like you've already gotten into, so nvm.
>Switch from UEFI to legacy
You can boot Linux from UEFI, but okay.
>insert bootable device
Sounds like your USB device isn't working, you probably know this. Could be you didn't write it properly but it sounds like you already got into the install from "net install x64"
>back to UEFI
Okay.

Download an ISO and use rufus to mount it to USB. I've never had a problem.
Don't give up, you're almost free of windows.
>>
>>55807794
okay. but i dont have a usb (i know i know please dont fucking remind me) and want to do it on just my hard drive. can i do that?
>>
>>55807709
Don't use unetbootin. Use something that doesn't modify the ISO itself, and don't listen to the other guy. Debian is a perfectly fine distro with up to date packages if you upgrade to Testing aftet you install.
>>
>>55807767
lol no. that's not how that works.
Debian and Ubuntu have different kernels and require different installation images.
>>
>>55807826
I don't really know... It's possible but I don't know how. Can't you buy a CD or something like that?
>>
Gonna switch to Linux today my niggas. All the software I use is on Linux/has Linux alternatives so the only thing I'm not sure about are the video drivers.

I have a Radeon 7870; when I install the OS (gonna go with Xubuntu) will the video drivers already be in the kernel or do I need to get them myself?

Also I hear there's 2 different drivers for AMD on Linux, which one is best? I only plan to play Valve games so 3D performance isn't really an issue.
>>
>>55807849
I think that the best distribution for you is Arch or something with fresh packages and new updates. Xubuntu doesn't receive too many updates, especially for your video card and the kernel is LTS. Give Antergos a try, if you want my advice. Or Manjaro if something went wrong with Antergos.
>>
>>55807827
>choose Debian for reason other than reliability
>dont listen to the other guy
ehhhhh

>>55807826
interesting, no USB stick... Sounds like you're on the right track with unetbootin then.
You probably don't have a CD r/w either then (I haven't had an optical disc drive in like 8 years, thats okay)
Did you install a bootloader when you went through the distribution's installer?
It doesn't really sound like you installed grub.
>>
>>55807849
>>55807873
This and
The open source driver
>>
>>55807873
never used arch, how does the package system worked compared to *buntu? I like how easy it is to add repos and install programs in *buntu.

>>55807896
How do I install the open source driver? Does it come with the kernel?
>>
>>55807879
if its uefi only (like my laptop) then u dont need grub but a uefi loader
>>
>>55807805
unetbootin has you pick a distro and type of install and i dont have a usb so thats what
>get unetbootin
>select debian
>net install x64
>type: hard disk

i reboot cause thats what it told me to do. then when you reboot it says "pick OS" then it orrors with "failed to load" so i go into uefi settings and switch from uefi to legacy cause i thought that was my error. (i now realize that it may have been to turn off fast reboot) but when i switch to legacy boot instead of uefi when i boot it pulls up the logo, goes black, and says "no bootable device -- insert one and press any key" and the only way i can get back to it even booting is by holding f12 & f2 when i press the power button to get back to the boot settings and turn back on uefi.

downloading an ISO and rufus right now but again i dont have a USB and so i need to do it sans USB
>>
>>55807914
It's even easier with Arch. Antergos come with pamac, a GUI for installing apps. It's really nice :) you don't need PPAs because most of the important software is fresh and in the official repositories. If not try AUR.
>>
>>55807914
>*buntu
why? u is easier than * to press so why not just say ubuntu?
>>
>>55807964
There are several *buntus.
>>
>>55807940
as long as gcue2tracks, puddletag, cmus, deluge and steam can be installed on arch I will go for it.

What's the difference between antergos and manjaro? I will just choose whichever one is lighter.

>>55807964
catch-all
>>
>>55807829
i meant do ubuntu so its easier to install then from having an ubuntu system install debian cause thats maybe easier than debian from win10 with unetbootin
>>
>>55807977
Puddletag, cmus, deluge and steam are in the official repositories and updated to the last stable version. I don't know about gcue2tracks, search for it in AUR :)
>>
>>55807914
>how does the package system worked compared to *buntu?
Efficiently. It's easy to use. As an Ubuntu/Arch user apt is one of the things I am not fan of

However Xubuntu is a great place to start
>>
>>55807929
rufus is for usb mounts only (pretty sure).
so that won't help you.

Yeah, the thing about windows is that it really doesn't like that you're leaving and tries everything to annoy you into staying. Fastboot/fast strartups introduced with windows 8 and have been a real nightmare to completely get rid of. If you can get into the BIOS/firmware settings you're probably fine though.

Make sure the installation is successful and that you've installed a new boot loader (UEFI loader is probably what you want) but you might want to create a tiny little 1mb partition for it.
>>
>>55807973
>>55807977
They are all Ubuntu with a different DE.
>>
>>55807709 (me) (no flash drive avail)

can i make my hard drive "pretend" to be a usb?
>>
>>55807977
I just looked up, gcue2tracks is in AUR.
>>
>>55808005
>installed a new boot loader
how do? link to tut?
>>
>>55807996
sounds good. Finally time to say goodbye to wangblows.

>>55808028
so how to I install something from AUR if it's not in official repos?

Also for things in repos do I just type "pacman ___" to install?
>>
>>55807994
okay. I wouldn't say that that's neccessary but I'd be worried about uninstalling grub when you try to uninstall ubuntu unless you're sure your bootloader is on a different partition.
>>
>>55808036
Sudo pacman -S cmus. Just use Pamac if you want. You can install everything with it, it's easy.
>>
>>55808007
no
>>
>>55808036
For AUR, you can use Pamac too, you have to enable the option in it's settings. Or use : yaourt -S name
>>
when will xfce be updated?
>>
>>55808003
Yeah the whole arch motto is
>"Keep it simple, stupid"
Pacman autoresolves dependencies and it's super easy to use.
the only commands you really need are
pacman -S <package_name>
You can find the package name via a description or partial name via
pacman -Ss <search_hint>
Also, between pacman and yaourt (yet another user repository tool) you can install pretty much anything (yes there are probably some packages out there that there aren't pkgbuilds for but these aren't that rare and the arch repos are not of modest size)
>>
>>55808047
How does Canonical's marketing feel in your ass?

Posted from my Xebian desktop.
>>
>>55808072
I find pacaur to be much easier and secure. Pacaur asks you to inspect the pkgbuild one time, yaourt asks you after every package install.
>>
>>55808075
>implying this much
>>
>>55808030
The GRUB 2 bootloader is included on all currently-supported versions of the Ubuntu family. GRUB 2 can accomodate traditional computer firmware such as BIOS as well as the newer EFI/UEFI standards. It is compatible with MBR, GPT and other partitioning tables.

Here.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing

You should have had the option during installation unless you didn't choose "something else".
You are installing the Ubuntu x64 image from unetbootin right?
>>
>>55808087
there is a --noconfirm option if you really don't like looking at pkgbuilds. I know I don't bother unless something breaks.
>>
>>55808105
>You are installing the Ubuntu x64 image from unetbootin right?
no im installing
debian stable netinstall x64 that i got from debian.org/distrib
with unetbootin.
>>
anyone here have torrents seeding on secondary drives?

whenever I've used linux in the past, any torrents that aren't on main drive will lose their progress when restarting torrent client. Regardless of which torrent client used. No such problem in windwos.

just wondering if this is some age old linux problem or what/
>>
>>55808119
Take a look at the comparison table : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers .
>>
>>55807849
hd7000 should be well supported by the open sauce driver included in any recent distro

>>55808070
4.12 is still nice

>>55808138
there's no sane reason for that behavior
what filesystem?
>>
>>55808137
in that case you might want to install ubuntu first
It is seriously hard to do what you're trying with only one bootable device. You get me? If you had another hard drive it would be easy.
If you had a USB drive it would be SUPER easy.
If you had a CD drive it would be fairly easy as well.
>>
>>55808182
not sure, stock lubuntu install.

Probably ext4?

by the way I experienced same bejaviour on a single drive with multiple partitions too, not just separate physical drives.
>>
>>55808143
I've seen it. I have no problem with typing --noconfirm before a large install (and part of me likes hitting y/n) so I don't really see myself switching.
interesting though.
>>
>>55808244
If it works fine for you, that's what really matters. :)
>>
>>55808271
same to you, good sir.
It is a bit strange that I immediately went to 'yet another user repository tool' when I hadn't tried any of the others. heh
>>
>>55808217
well im still downloading the ISO of debian netinstall cause i have a sub 1mb/s connection righ now.
>>
>>55808302
If you want to try pacaur, just copy this script in a file called pacaur.sh : https://gist.github.com/rumpelsepp/d646750910be19332753 . Then sudo chmod +x pacaur.sh , then do : ./pacaur.sh . It will install. Believe me, it's so comfy. The commands are almost the same. pacaur -S for install, pacaur -s for searching.
>>
>>55808311
downloading it from unetbootin or within windows?
Yeah you might as well try. Always got that recovery partition if you fuck up and want to go back to windows.
>>
>>55808342
within windows cause unetbootin always returns "unable to load wendows insert installation disk"
>>
>>55808337
Yaourt also has commands identical to pacman, even --noconfirm.
>>
>>55808362
True. Well, use what you want :) I'm planning to maintain some packages in AUR when I'll know how, the wiki is waiting for me.
>>
>>55808356
Okay, I haven't used unetbootin since I was like 14 so I may have misunderstood.

Usually, when you install Linux on a partition, you want to let the installer do the formatting. Maybe you can assign a drive letter without formatting, and then select that partition/drive-letter from unetbootin. All of this to avoid getting a USB stick lol. Good luck, man.
>>
>>55808392
Yeah I've never written my own package build as I haven't had a need. There was one moment that I considered it (TinyOS & TOSSim) but it was such a bitch just getting them compiled (required ancient versions of the nes-c-compiler and java 5) that I had to get back to work by the time I was done.
>>
>>55806567
~/dotfiles contains a directory for each program. Those directories each contain the dotfiles for that program, structured as if it were the home folder.

The purpose of this, is I can, for example, cd to ~/dotfiles, then
stow mutt
, and mutts config files will be symlinked in the proper locations.

the ~/dotfiles is tracked by git so I can easily transfer it to new systems and keep track of changes in case something breaks. Spend a few minutes setting this up once and you never need to worry about it again.
>>
I'm running Ubuntu right now but I want to dual boot with Windows for vidya. I don't have Windows installed so I can't get that "free upgrade" to 10 though.

s-s-should I pirate windows 10, guys?
>>
>>55808492
If you just HAVE to use windows then of course you should pirate it.
>>
>>55805475
Neither f.lux nor redshift work on my ubuntu, and askubuntu hasn't managed to answered me after the diagnostics they told me to run.

Are there any alternative softwares?
>>
>copy big file to usb in terminal
>whole system hangs
This is one of the few things I hate about gnu/linux.
>>
>>55808567
This is not something that regularly happens in gnu/linux.
>>
>>55808492
Install windows 7, then activate it with daz loader. Then upgrade to windows 10. This is your last chance.
>>
>>55808581
It's always happened to me on multiple installs, with a file over 3GB. Maybe it's because I only 4GB of memory?
>>
>>55808582
I was actually thinking of doing that but setting up Win 7 can take some time.

How much time do I have left even before Win 10 closes its doors?
Do you happen to know in hours?
>>
>>55808593
>Maybe it's because I only 4GB of memory?
Yes.
>>
I want to make a symlink but I have a question: can I delete the original file/folder?
>>
>>55808492
>>55808582
>>55808595
WTF Why would you prefer windows 10 to 7? Honestly, 10 has major problems. There's nothing seriously wrong with 7 except the inherent windows problems which are magnified by 8/10

>>55808567
>whole system hangs
Are you sure it's not just the one terminal? i regularly copy large files via usb to external HDD and my video playback has never been disrupted. Not sure, man.
>>
>>55808613
lol no. it's a symbolic link.
it just points to the original folder as if it were right where you placed the symlink. It's not really there.
kek.
Why wouldn't we all just delete our entire systems and symlink everything. that would be great for disk space.
>>
>>55808613
If you link to google.com from your personal website, can you just delete everything on google's servers? It's just a link.
>>
>>55808613
topkek
>>
>>55808567
This happens literally in every OS need I remind you the
>Explorer has stopped responding
>>
I like xfce but xfwm is shit
What wm do I replace it with
>>
>>55808833
Mutter
>>
>>55808802
idk man, I've never heard of Mac OS X pinwheeling
>>
>>55808833
awesomeWM, literally the first wm to use the asynchronous version of X11.
so fucking reactive.
No reason to ever use mouse again.
totally extensible and configurable through lua scripts. Multicolor theme is legit.
>>
File: 1469652338647.jpg (206KB, 1045x516px) Image search: [Google]
1469652338647.jpg
206KB, 1045x516px
>>55808492
Yes
>>
>>55808849
>no reason to use mouse
>configurable through lua
B-but I like my mouse and my normie GUIs
>>
>>55808802
It's only happened to me on GNU/Linux when I accidentally tried compiling pypy in RAM.
>>
>>55808883
okie doke.
I'm not the guy to ask then
good luck
>>
>>55808883
No.
>>
>>55808887
in /tmp?
I tried to compile unity-editor in /tmp and just ran out of disk space so it started spitting out tar errors until I changed the config to my home directory. I don't see why this would hang everything.
>>
>>55808918
sorry RAM not disk space
>>
>>55808918
first google search this wasn't even a link
>A lot of programs use /tmp for storing temporary files, and they can be huge. For example Brasero defaults to that directory to store a CD/DVD's image file, which can be 4.7 GB of size. It's not worth risking a serious slowdown (or a system lockup) in an out of memory situation if your RAM and swap get full. Sep 25, 2011

I guess you're not the only one. I wonder why that didn't happen to me...
>>
>>55808937
Yes. RAM is better than disk.
>>
File: 1466046509016.gif (3MB, 800x352px) Image search: [Google]
1466046509016.gif
3MB, 800x352px
1. Are swap partitions volatile?
2. Can I save memes in swap temporarily?
>>
>>55809012
You want a tmpfs:

mount /mount/point -t tmpfs -o size=n
>>
>>55809047
Oops:

mount -t tmpfs -o size=n tmpfs /mount/point
>>
>>55809012
well let's see:
>touch somefile.c
>vim somefile.c
>i hellohellohello:wq
>mv somefile.c /tmp/
>reboot
>somefile.c is gone.
I'd say it worked?
>>
>>55809077
shit I was focused on /tmp i didn't notice you said swap... shitposting feels bad...
>>
>>55808849
awesome is pretty much the best tiling WM.
>>
>>55809093
tmpfs may swap, so you're not wrong
>>
>>55809061
hey what's the trick to the code formatter here?
obviously not <code></code>
>>
>>55809115
quality post
what theme? or did you write your own
>>
Is there a linux equivalent of virtual audio cable?
>>
Currently have antergos installed on my pc, and I want to dual boot windows 10 with it, but I'm not sure how to go about this since most guides are written for installing linux alongside windows 10.

Is there a way for me to partition my ssd from antergos, and then when I install windows only install it to that partition?
>>
File: rtfm.png (68KB, 1009x611px) Image search: [Google]
rtfm.png
68KB, 1009x611px
>>55809124
<

>>55809154
typical strategy is to install windows first, since it is dumber about bootloader and partitions
>>
Is there a way to view notes on connection status in Mint? I don't like getting no explanation after waiting a minute for a wi-fi connection to try and fail.
>>
>>55809165
so you think I should install windows on the ssd over antergos, then create a partition, and install antergos on that?
>>
>>55809165
seconded.
I did install windows 7 after arch for muh gaems but its not nearly as intrusive as 8&10 (fastboot meme)
>>
>>55809134
made my own by taking bits and pieces from other themes. mostly black, nothing special.
>>
File: img.png (29KB, 650x491px) Image search: [Google]
img.png
29KB, 650x491px
>>55809190
usually yes, but since you have an existing install it would be a major inconvenience
make some free space and install windows, but you'll need to unfuck grub afterward
>>
>>55809239
>unfuck grub afterwards
Could you point me in the right direction for accomplishing that?
>>
Is anyone here using GNU/Linux in China? I'm moving to Beijing soon and need some advice.
>>
File: Red_Star_OS_bootsplash_cut.png (243KB, 800x300px) Image search: [Google]
Red_Star_OS_bootsplash_cut.png
243KB, 800x300px
What distro is best distro and why is it Red Star?
>>
>>55809334
Advice for what? Why does it matter if other people use it in China?
They have mirrors in China.
Only like 20 people in my city use the Linux kernel and it hasn't affected me.
>>
>>55809378
Which VPN service do you use?
>>
>>55809389
Tor
>>
>>55809389
I don't download CP
>>
>>55809415
You're utterly retarded if you think that's what a VPN/Tor is for.
>>
>>55809278
http://www.howtogeek.com/114884/how-to-repair-grub2-when-ubuntu-wont-boot/
tl;dr:
>on a live cd/usb/potato:
>mount the /boot partition somewhere, or / if that's where /boot is. whatever.
># grub-install --boot-directory=[/mnt/boot] [target disk]
example:
the boot device was sdf, windows installer overwrote it so it boots straight to windows
# identify the boot parition, suppose it's #3
mount /dev/sdf3 /mnt/booot
grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/booot /dev/sdf

This would install grub to sdf. It will always look in sdf3(/boot) for configuration.
>>
>>55809437
Thanks anon. Really appreciate the help :^)
>>
>>55809429
We all know you're downloading CP, we've seen Mr. Robot s01e01.

Plus I'm in control of the exit nodes.
>>
What's the Linux equivalent of this?

for /r %x in (*.opus) do ren "%x" *.ogg
>>
>>55809580
 for file in *.opus; do mv "$file" "${file::-4}.ogg";
>>55809580
>>
So I tested Ubuntu and I don't see how it's better than Windows _for my everyday use_ .
I guess some people would say security but I guess there are ways to be relatively safe on Windows too? I never had any real trouble to be honest.

I'm interested in hearing opinions but to be honest I think I'll uninstall Ubuntu soon.
One question about that : do I need to make something specific to get rid or grub I installed Ubuntu on another hard drive than my Windows one.
>>
>>55809603
>I guess there are ways to be relatively safe on Windows too?
Not really.
>>
Which is better, an Ubunto variant or Mint?
>>
>>55809580
http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/dosbatch.html
>>
>>55809618
Suicide.
>>
>>55809603
Unplug the drive.
If windows still boots, just wipe it.
If for some reason there is no boot loader on the windows drive (that would be weird) then you're fucked anyway. Or you might use grub to boot into windows and recover. Or you could change the grub config so that there is no timeout and it defaults to the windows option
>>
>>55809610
How? Keep in mind that I'm just a regular user. I already use a VIP, multiple passwords, and basic stuff on Windows, what could happen to me?
>>
>>55809645
>multiple passwords
>123456
>123abc
>124abd
>>
>>55809603
Depends on what kind of person you are and what you want to do. Linux works well for me because I like having a high degree of control over how my interface looks. In Windows, to just change the start icon I had to download a third party software to do registry edit mumbo jumbo.
>>
File: 1463598562369.gif (46KB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
1463598562369.gif
46KB, 384x288px
still on symlinks
if I make a dotfiles folder and move my config there (and make a symlink), when I want to change something I edit the files on the dotfiles folder or the original?

if I edit the original files do I need to make a symlink again?
>>
>>55809749
Symlinks point to the original file. If I linked to google.com, then anytime google changed their webpage, would I need to update the link here?
>>
Point me to the most straightforward guide on SSL /fglt/. Don't have the time to read through the wiki, been studying all day, occasionally shitposting here and there.
>>
>>55809661
No but seriously, what can happen, I'm not a fucking hacker, if I use a VPN + different 15-character passwords for every site, I don't see how I could have problems. I never had.
>>
>>55810019
Windows snoops on users, shackles users and, on mobiles, censors apps; it also has a universal back door that allows Microsoft to remotely impose software changes. Microsoft sabotages Windows users by showing security holes to the NSA before fixing them.
>>
>>55810071
So, it's mostly about privacy? To be honest, I don't care that much, it's not like we'll end up in an extreme dystopia either. I mean not worse that what's already here.
I know that's a huge debate and I can be called irresponsible, but yeah.

As for security, I read that somewhere else, I agree with it :

>A determined attacker coming after you, will come after you and get you, no matter what you're using.
>>
>>55810220
"security is hard so I won't even try" is not a good attitude.
>>
If I Like to stream movies and shit to sites like livestream and whatever, is there any alternative in ubuntu?
>>
>>55805475
So, how feasible would it be to run Musicbee in a VM on top of a Linux desktop?

I gotta admit - I'm not a fan of Windows and the direction it's going lately. But I'll be damned, if one of the only things I like about Windows is that Musicbee is exclusive to it. I haven't ever had the most luck getting it going on WINE though.

So, how feasible would it be to run it in something like Windows 7 in a VM, strip it as bare as I can, share my music folder on my external with it, and use it like that? I hate most linux music players, but Musicbee holds a special place in my heart
>>
>>55810569
I know that's not the answer you're looking for but did you try Clementine? It's my second favorite right after Bee.
>>
>>55810595
Yeah. Clementine seems alright, and a lot of players are honestly "just alright," but nothing really impresses me. I've used Anorak a bunch and enjoyed it, and since Clementine is inspired from it, guess you can't go wrong with it.

I'm gonna dick with it in VMWare right now actually and see how it turns out.
>>
>>55810630
Just 'git gud' and install mpd. There are dozens of frontends available so you can find one that looks nice or whatever.
>>
File: Real or VM? Makes you think.png (205KB, 1278x1053px) Image search: [Google]
Real or VM? Makes you think.png
205KB, 1278x1053px
Quick update - on my windows machine, I tried just sharing it with a VMware box and then putting it into Unity. It's a little resource heavy, but honestly it works out pretty well. I bet I could use a minimal windows install and just run it next to me all the time, and everything would be pretty chill. Guess I could shove another stick of RAM in there if I really was that committed.

>>55810659
I might dick with MPD one of these days. I've never heard of it until then. I only run linux on my laptop which I use only for work and shit. (My phone handles music on the go) Either way, I'm not planning on an OS switch until my W7 bites the dust. Way too much effort to go through migrating to a new OS and then dual booting when everything just werks.
Cheers, anons
>>
File: snapshot30.png (319KB, 820x920px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot30.png
319KB, 820x920px
>>55810739
You might want to try out Deadbeef. It's really customizable.
>>
>>55810569
>>55810739

You're an idiot. If a simple music player is what's keeping you from switching to a Linux distribution, then stick to Windows.
Why are you asking these stupid questions when you won't switch any way? Is there a way to unsubscribe from your blog?
>>
>>55810739
Cmus is nice for large collections.
>>
>>55810853
Chill out faggot, christ

Just because I'm not switching tomorrow doesn't mean I'm not going to ever switch.

Linux does everything I like better except music players which is kind of weird, but I was just curious as to how other anons deal with it.

But I guess you'd rather answer another 500 million posts about Mint (^:

>>55810855
Oh fuck I love Cmus, I completely forgot about it. I'm kind of used to GUI because I love having all my album art in front of me, but that's actually not a bad idea.
>>
Is there any way to make the windows key active in Mate?
>>
>>55810895
What do you mean? It is called super key.
>>
>>55810887

There are dozens of music players which most likely offer the same features as Musicbee. It's a program that plays music from the background. I don't know what features you demand, but it's most likely something retarded and something covered by other software.
>>
>>55810895
It depends what you mean by 'active'

In linux, the windows key is what is referred to "the mod key." So, rather than opening a start menu, it + something else usually is a function. Some people do Win + T for terminal, for example. (I prefer ctrl alt T. Sue me)

If you're looking to open the mint menu I assume you are referring to, I don't think the windows key can be bound to that alone. I'm too lazy to dig up my computer with MATE on it, but you should be able to modify a shortcut for win + ctrl (ez enough ) in either keyboard shortcuts, or by right clicking on the menu and looking for a shortcut.

It used to REALLY bother me but believe me, letting it be the mod key is much more useful.
>>
>>55810342
What do you mean? For streaming youtube-dl (don't let yourself be fooled by the name, it works for basically everything) and mpv are nice.
>>
>>55809334
The chinese gov even has a distro
>>
>>55810952

I think he wants to stream HIS films/desktop to to those websites. Not watch existing streams.
>>
>>55810342
OBS
>>
What are the flavor of the month distros right now?
>>
>>55809153
If you tell us what that does maybe someone will help you.
>>55808070
When the new version is done. You can make this faster by helping.
>>
>>55811025
The what?
>>
>>55811038
Distributions of gnu/linux that are currently enjoying a short-lived burst in popularity.
>>
>>55811025
windows 10
>>
>>55811059
For stuff like that distrowatch is popular. But seriously, why would you want a distro that has short popularity right now? Why not just one that is tried and tested and has been popular for ages?
>>
These threads are crazy fast right now, what is happening? Does it have to do with Windows 10 not staying free and generally being shitty?
>>
>>55811080
Because I know how Gentoo and Arch and Ubuntu work well enough. If someone has a new approach to something significant, it might be fun to try in a dual-boot scenario.
>>
>>55811096
>new approach
Check out guixSD, it is still in alpha though.
>>
>>55811080
Seriously, the only distros that matter are:

Slackware
Debian
Ubuntu (inb4 debian spinoff)
Arch
Gentoo
OpenSUSE
RHEL/CentOS
Fedora

Everything else is a shitty spinoff (eg. *buntus) or just unnecessary, with a few notable exceptions like Void & Alpine.
>>
>>55811093
>Summer
>Newfags
>Refugees (see above)
>"I listen to everything /g/ says I should do and complain that it isn't what I wanted"
>>
>>55811096
>new approach
try solaris
>>
Was there a change to touchpad functionality in a recent update to Mint? I'm finding that I'm accidentally scrolling the page while trying to two-finger right click a lot more than I used to.
>>
>>55811120
>>55811106
>>55811102
Thanks for the input.
>>
Can someone make a new thread? I am
>phoneposting
>>
New thread >>55811573
>>
>>55811583
Fuck off Linus.
>>
>>55811583
>removing GNU
kill yourself
>>
>>55811601
The fuck are you on about?
>>
>>55811583
>look mom, I'm le ebin trolle
Thanks for killing our thread again with useless flamewars, asshole.
>>
>>55811612
100% of Linux based operating systems use Linux. The same cannot be said for GNU coreutils. Why exactly should we use GNU/Linux as a blanket term again? And why should the arbitrary line be drawn at just GNU? There's much more to a distro than the coreutils and Linux kernel.

>>55811630
Hey I just made a proper thread, you guys are the ones sperging out about it.
>>
Troll free thread: >>55811665
>>
>>55811677
There are two troll free new threads though. The real one >>55811573 and the one you started because you're a stubborn sack of shit >>55811665
>>
>>55811583
go fuck yourself, there is no reason to use an exclusive term for these threads.
>>
>>55811824
What're you whining about?
>>
>>55811829
GNU/Linux is an inclusive term, it allows questions about GNU, Linux and the combinations thereof.
Linux is an exclusive term, it allows questions about Linux and how it is used.
but i already know there is no point in explaining that to you.
>>
>>55811948
GNU/Linux is exclusive, it allows questions only about GNU/Linux. Linux is not, it's about all operating systems based on the Linux kernel. The only way it could be less exclusive is to have a *nix general.

And that's not even getting into the argument of whether or not GNU/Linux should be an actual term
Protip: It shouldn't.
>>
>>55811974
so you want questions about android but not about minix3 with GNU? which do you think would be more interesting?
>>
>>55812091
I don't see the problem with discussing both in /flt/. I mean sure it's labeled the Linux thread, but GNU coreutils are regularly used with quite a few distros /flt/ users are familiar with. Sounds like a neat discussion. Are you so autistic that everything needs explicit labeling?
>>
>>55812114
the problem is that choosing either just Linux or just GNU as a name are both very political choices. making a compromise is the sensible thing to do.
and yes, imo labeling is important if you want to unify a group of people and make them talk to each other in a friendly and productive way.
>>
>>55812182
Not really, it's been known as Linux for years and the majority still know it as Linux, and it'll probably stay known as Linux. Linux is the better name.
>let's compromise and call it GNU/Linux
That's not compromising, that's getting your way.
>>
>>55812195
>Not really, it's been known as Linux for years and the majority still know it as Linux, and it'll probably stay known as Linux. Linux is the better name.
and the majority of people still claim that feminism is the same as humanism and still call it feminism, doesn't make it any more right.
getting my way would be calling it GNU, the fsf would also call it GNU if it wouldn't be unfriendly to a lot of people.
GNU/Linux is a compromise.
>>
>>55812225
>getting my way would be calling it GNU
Oh I see, you're just retarded.
>GNU/Linux is a compromise
Yeah, nah.
>>
>>55812240
>ignoring arguments left and right
>calling people that try to argue with you in a reasonable manner names
I'll stop trying, just kill yourself already.
>>
>>55812272
no u
>>
apt-cache search "name packages"
Some tips for Debian please
>>
>>55812303
how new is your install? i recommend aptitude if it is completely fresh and sticking to it.
aptitude search <name>
there is also purge, remove, reinstall, install
install apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges just in case, consider adding deb-multimedia, download the debian administrators handbook, install ufw...
>>
>>55805795
They have amps and dacs that they still may need to record with low latency.
Also
>implying a soundcard ISN'T an amp and dac/adc
Thread posts: 355
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.