[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I learn Java or is it useless?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: java.jpg (211KB, 1200x1485px) Image search: [Google]
java.jpg
211KB, 1200x1485px
Should I learn Java or is it useless?
>>
>>55804812
bump for interest
>>
It's being depreciated so it's not worth the time
>>
Only if you're interested in android development.
>>
>>55805788
I thought they were going to switch to something else.
>>
>>55804812
if what you want to do requires it.
>>
As a first programming language I would not recomend it. However if you know antohter language, expecially C like, then the syntax would be trivial and the only worry would be dealing with the JVM for optimization stuff. Do not fall for the Pajeet meme, java is worth the time it takes to learn, keep in mind the difference between you and a random pajeet is that you actually know OOP (You know it should not be used for everything).
>>
>>55805763

Java is never going to be deprecated even after the last computer finally shuts off for good. Do you have any idea how important java is?

Java must always be supported

The legacy must live on
>>
>>55804812
Learn it.

>>55805788
Java is used heavily in business. Most new applications built are using Java due to portability.
>>
>>55805763
Java for Web is deprecated, not Java core. The deprecation is completely justified, it's like building a website in a simpler version of C++: you're going to forget things and there are going to be tons of security holes.
>>
I've had 4 recruiters contact me for Java Developer positions since Monday. Already had some phone interviews. It's definitely in-demand.

Not to mention it's incredibly intuitive and well-structured. As a language itself, it is good.
>>
>>55807739
>As a language itself, it is good.
How to start a /g/ pissing match: the quote.
>>
Java is and for the foreseeable future will be in demand. Nearly all back ends for companies are built on Java. Not counting start ups using hipster languages that realize they done goofed and need to rewrite in a proper language
>>
>>55805824
They are but Java will remain supported for a long time.
>>
>>55804812
It's shit but popular, learn it if you want to make money.
>>
>>55804812
Learn it. Does not matter to much what language you learn, they are all quite similar and you have to learn new languages and tech all the time anyway. But the core is the same so once you know one it is easier to learn the next. Also Java will have jobs for a long time. Learn this or Python IMO.
>>
>>55808320
> Java
> Python

These are the most braindead Pajeet languages in existence.
>>
>>55804812
wow, a Java thread that is ~90% positive? That's rare on /g/.

Anyways OP, I concur with most of the comments here. Learn it, it will probably get you a job eventually.
>>
>>55804812
>Should I learn Java?
You can make some money with it. A lot of Java "programmers" are required
>is it useless?
It's not a good language. Once you learn programming you'll see.
>>
I actually enjoy Java quite a lot. It isn't the "best" language but it is decent. I really like JavaFX as you can do some complex things so fucking easy. There isn't really anything else that works quite as well, not even C#/.NET is quite as feature-full

Also IntelliJ IDEA is fucking amazing. It is easily the best IDE I have worked in.

Sure Oracle are cunts and there are some things you don't want to use in the Java world but overall I think the pros outweigh the cons by an order of magnitude.

Plus the pay is very good if you want a job out of it.
>>
>>55810309
>It's not a good language.
How so? Not that anon but I've just started learning it, so is there something I should watch out for?
>>
>>55804812
It's useless.
>>
>>55804812
The JVM is massively popular industry, so It's worth learning if you're interested in that. If you're learning for personal interest I'd start with the basics then more onto something a bit more fun like Clojure / Scala
>>
Most interviews I have done have been using Java since that's the language most recruiters know.
>>
>>55807701
>>>55805763 (You)
>Java for Web is deprecated, not Java core. The deprecation is completely justified, it's like building a website in a simpler version of C++: you're going to forget things and there are going to be tons of security holes.
Thank you for the clarification
>>
>>55810309
love how you put programming in quotes, as if Java isn't a legitimate language

I swear, the snobbery of you functional programmers...
>>
>>55804812
If you want to write large desktop applications and don't really care about performance
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.