[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Windows or Linux?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: tom2.jpg (105KB, 780x439px) Image search: [Google]
tom2.jpg
105KB, 780x439px
I need a second opinion, /g/.

I'm cleaning a laptop and will use it as both a personal (programming) laptop and for administering a 20-computer Windows network at work. It currently has Windows 8, the standard edition, installed with a hopefully legit license.

Basically, I could do one of three things:
1) Do a clean install of Windows 8 with this license
2) Do a clean install of Windows 10 with this license
3) Ask management for a new Windows 8 or 10 Pro license
3) Install Fedora or something and maybe put Windows in a VM for when I need it

I can't decide. What would you do?
>>
Well if you like not having any good software use lincucks but you will get burned out on it after a week when you realize you have to enter a dozen commands to do simple tasks.
>>
Install Windows 10 alongside your Distro of choice with dual boot.
>>
>>55796559

Don't listen to >>55796743, he's a FUSS spreading faggot. Lubuntu is an excellent distro for a beginner, and you never need to use commands. Even if you run into trouble, that's what the Ubuntu Forums are for.
>>
>>55796743
But I like CLIs.

>>55796798
Why suggest dual-boot and not a VM?
>>
>>55796837
It's just my personal preference to have the full experience for both OSes which is nice to have when programming. I suggest you try both VM and full-booting to get a feel of what advantages of each method is.

That being said if you don't have the disk space then a VM would be more comfy.
>>
>>55796559
3rd option but with OpenSUSE leap. It's built off of Suse enterprise Linux so it's stable plus it comes with network and server tools right out of the box
>>
>>55796559
>Install Fedora or something and maybe put Windows in a VM for when I need it
That's the ONLY sane option in 2016
Fuck this botnet shit, I switched to Linux last year and don't regret a single bit
>>
VM only if you have the hardware. Otherwise an hero.
>>
>>55796928
Why not Tumbleweed? Also, what tools? Isn't YaST strictly a local control panel thing?
>>
>>55796939
Eh. I used to use Linux full-time but moved back around the time Arch switched to systemd. Also, I haven't seen a Linux distro without major issues out of the box since Debian in the KDE3 days.
>>
>>55797000
>I haven't seen a Linux distro without major issues
Le epic maymay there dude XD
>>
>>55797030
Depends on your definition of "major", I suppose. I find stuff like bits of KDE crashing on startup, SMB not working and package conflicts pretty major.
>>
>>55796559
Any *buntu would be fine for you. Look at the different desktop environments and choose what suits you better. You can always switch inbetween different DE when you feel like it.
>>
>>55797440
Have you seen problems on Debian or Red Hat?
>>
>>55796952
Tumbleweed is unstable and it has some makeshift servers tool in it
>>
>>55796559
Install Gentoo.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.