[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was the new wave of VR a meme /g/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: htc_vive.jpg (475KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
htc_vive.jpg
475KB, 1920x1080px
Was the new wave of VR a meme /g/?
>>
>>55795940
Nope. You really cant tell what it feals like from watching youtube videos of it. Having used the Vive myself i can tell you it is really fuckin cool. All you have to do to make a good Vive game is give somone an excuse to put on the Vive, the rest does itself.
I think the next generation of VR whenether that is (8 years or so? console mode?) will be when it gets really good, hopefully the cable problem will be solved by then and the game devs will have had time to figure out how to make good VR games.
>>
>>55795940
I've yet to hear anyone who has actually tried VR say they think it's a meme, or a fad. It's not going to replace gaming on a monitor, but it will be another thing that exists alongside it. It also has a lot of nongaming applications, including travel and previewing architecture and the like.

>>55796060
The problem with getting rid of the cord is that wireless video sucks. Normally I would write that issue off, with the assumption that the tech will improve and solve that, but that gets complicated when you consider that the next obvious step for VR is improved resolution, and I think graphics processing tech will advance much faster than wireless video tech, which already can't keep up with low enough latency for VR to feel right. I don't like the cord either, but I'm fairly certain it will be a while before we can stop using cables.
>>
The current VR is just modern waggle sticks with an overly expensive headset. It would be fine if it were being marketed as a niche gaming device, which it is. Unfortunately, the money that companies are pumping into this thing in order to viral it like the next big thing makes me think it's going to fall very, very hard. The headsets are too expensive and require an even more expensive desktop just to run it properly. There's still no real games for it. And people on Steam are already starting to hate the thing before it's really out because Valve keeps shilling VR shit on the store with no way to filter it. I think VR is going to end up in the "woulda, shoulda, coulda" bin with the Dreamcast, the Ouya, and others.

VR is never going to really be a household product until we start getting holodecks or matrix plugs in our living rooms.
>>
>>55797697
I think self contained AR headsets could definitely be a household product and looking at the Gear VR and Hololens makes me think it's not that far off. The Vive is a high end piece of equipment, but not everybody needs that level of quality (even though the quality could still be a lot better). People get pretty blown away when I let them try my Gear VR and it's total shit compared to the Vive and Rift. Once someone designs a self contained unit that can have decent head tracking (which is being worked on already) the possibilities for games will really open up.
I know the Hololens has that awful letterbox problem right now, but once they figure that out I can definitely see it or something like it being a household product within like 8 years.
>>
Yes, it is. VR means shit when there's no software.
>>
I have a vive.

It exceeded my expectations. I was giggling like a madman when I first put it on because of how magical it is.

I also tried the Rift. The screen is a little better, tracking is a little less jittery, but no roomscale kills it for me.
>>
>>55795940
I think for videos and desktop use it has a lot of cool applications, but as far as gaming goes the games are very limited due to the fact that the control scheme has to be either room scale or involve teleporting your character around. This closes a lot of doors for the kinds of games developers can make and this is why I don't think vr will catch on in gaming. It's pretty much just setting itself up to be the next 3D/Kinect.
>>
>>55798260
I seem to have no issue finding software for it.

Ohh. do you mean like some faggot Anime based game or FFXXV whateva?

Just what kind of game/software are you waiting on
>>
>>55798314
>'the control scheme has to be either room scale or involve teleporting your character around'.

Actually you are wrong and have just read some posts by others that are wrong and repeat it.

You can use traditional movement methods, and some do use it and will realize that it really is not a big deal to keep traditional movement.

Just try the Vanishing of Ethan Carter VR, amazing env and uses traditional movement and it is fine. The skating thing fades after a few once in, You adapt and don't even notice it. Any title could work in VR and the devs will realize somethings are really not as big a deal as 1st suspected. Like movement.
>>
>>55798866
Real video games and not meme simulators or stupid teleporters.
>>
>>55795940
>Was the new wave of VR a meme /g/?

I dont know wht you mean by meme but the answer is NO

Almost everyone in this unvierse tought hmd vr were cool, the problem is that they were too expensive.
Oculus rift, decided to make a hmd that focused only on games, allowing them to make a less expensive hmd (and also having better quality for the price).

Others followed the oculus rift route

By that logic hmd vr arent memes.

But if you are thinking about another thing when you said meme, yes they are.
There are many guys that are ultra clueless about hmds, someone even saw a spec of a 20000 dollars hmd released 15+ years ago and said "wait I thin this feature X was impossible" and someone had to correct him "its impossible if you aim for the price of oculus rift, oculus rift is not the best hmd on the market"
>>
>>55798260
>VR means shit when there's no software.
When the game need to be specifically made for hmd to work?

This means I can't just plug it and play any game I want?
>>
I have a vive
It's not a meme
It's not a gimmick
It just needs software. Like most console launches, it'll take a year or two for the tech to have a quality library of made-for-VR experiences, but there's some really cool stuff out there already.
>>
I have both Vive and Rift. They're amazing. All the haters are jealous and poor.
>>
>>55799855
no, you can not.
in theory, you could, but you need a way to add a second camera into the game to render the second eye.
there's some software that tries to emulate mouse movements when you move your head, but it's wonky and doesn't work very well.
normal movement will make you sick quite fast because your brain gets confused by seeing you move but not feeling it.

the game would also need to support motioncontrollers instead of mouse and keyboard.

so unless the game is actually made for it it'll be a shit experience.
>>
>>55800004
>there's some software that tries to emulate mouse movements when you move your head, but it's wonky and doesn't work very well.
I am not talking about head tracking of course, the game must have that, OBVIOUSLY
>>
>>55800053
but why even bother using a HMD if there's no headtracking? what do you expect to see?
>>
>>55800124
>what do you expect to see?
only the game, instead of a monitor near a wall and pc.

Also hmd you have the biggest monitor ever with you
>>
I tried Sony VR at a best but, I own a vive. They are as good as you think they will be.
>>
>>55800790
current gen HMDs have terrible resolution, text is really mushy and can be barely made out. it might get better with 4k, but as of now a normal monitor gives you a much clearer image.

besides, without head tracking you'll get sick quick if the environment doesn't move.
I accidentally froze the environment once when playing around with a graphics engine and felt sick very fast.
>>
itt: poorfags that never tried it and richfags desperately post-purchase rationalizing
>>
>>55795940
faggots like OP should go and try it before creating shitty "muh meme lol" threads on /g/, the Vive is fucking awesome
>>
>>55800896
I have one, and I'd say if you want to use vr to enjoy video games / media / recreational use, wait for (at the earliest) 2-3rd generations. I can really only see VR begin to become common place after the 4th generation. Currently, people have brought up screen resolutions, wires, but also weight, battery life and mobile processing power will also have a big influence in portable VR/AR hmds.

However, if you are a bleeding edge early adopter who really likes being at the forefront of technology and shitting it up for the rest, or a developer, I would say get one.

Right now, the technology is workable, but it's not exactly where it would be enjoyable for the majority of the population on a regular basis. That said, the technology is awesome and VR will have many applications, and AR even more so.
>>
>>55799586
meme simulators? Are you fucking retarded or just 13yrs old?

What is a 'real' video game?
>>
>>55798976
Traditional movent is severely nausea inducing for most people.
>>
>>55801296
So far not for anyone that has tried it at my place. Yes, it is odd to be in a immersed env and the floaty movement initially occurs, but you float in 2d as well, mean, your character is still sliding across the ground same as in VR..and a slight head bob helps make it seem more natural as well...the only diff is the immersion and your body adjusts to it. The complainers are the same fucks who get car sick, airsick, seasick..they are just weak people who do not weather the 1st wave to come out of it fine.
>>
>>55795940
How can it be a meme when no one bought one?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.