[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Mint Dangerous?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: mint intuit icon.png (23KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
mint intuit icon.png
23KB, 300x300px
I'm trying to pull together a bigger picture of my financial history, and after some research settled initially on YNAB. My issue with it is that it's not optimal for old banking information.

I originally chose YNAB bc I read of some potential issues with Mint, and sharing account information with a third party. As I continue to do research the main issues that appear are:

>your information will probably be sold to data vendors/collectors
>there is now a second point of weakness for your financial information to become compromised

I am pretty connected to the botnet right now, and most of my spending is card based, so I'm already being data mined pretty heavily in that front. Besides that Intuit seems to be the safest third party possible for something like this just due to their size and involvement with banking and company information.

Even if they were to become vulnerable would having read-only banking information taken endanger me at all? Most formal articles I've read that speak on the subject are 5~ years old, and forums seem to have a lot of conjecture (not that I expect much more here). What's your opinion on it's safety? Would you advocate not using Mint?

tl:dr Want to use Mint financial software. Aware I will be data mined, and have a slightly higher risk of information loss. Is there any danger beyond this?
>>
If you're scared, why not just create your own records in excel?
>>
>>55789216
If it comes down to it I would be willing to do that. I'm fairly busy and around 2 years worth of data entry would come at a large expense of time. They idea of having that info imported is immensely appealing
>>
Yes, a third-party service that by nature needs to store usernames and passwords for all your financial accounts using at best reversible encryption (because they need to routinely log in) is dangerous.

Aside from them potentially doing anything with your information, there is always the threat that they will be hacked, social engineered, or compromised internally or in any other way and you will be fucked.
>>
If Mint got hacked to the point that user logins/passwords were compromised that would be pretty earth shattering.

Also, intuit probably already knows, or could know, all of your financial background anyway already.
>>
Appreciate input so far, bumping for more opinions
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.