[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux - Arch vs Gentoo, what DE/WM, etc.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

File: ice8XyJ.png (633KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ice8XyJ.png
633KB, 1920x1080px
I'm satisfied with my current setup with Arch and BSPWM + lemonbar, but I feel like I'm missing out on a lot that the more feature-complete desktop environments have to offer (similar to windows). I want to do a big upgrade, and perhaps move to Gentoo because I'm interested in source-based packages. While I absolutely love BSPWM, I have some major issues with it and wine. What are the pros/cons of Gentoo vs Arch and should I go with a DE or WM? Also, what (in your opinion) is the best DE or WM? Preferably, it should be configurable and easy to customise to my needs.
>>
>>55788755
>Arch vs Gentoo
This thread again. Have you got nothing else to do? If not at least go contribute to /fglt/ and help the newbies
>>
>>55788777
I'm not trying to start the fucking arch memes again I'm really interested in the differences. I just want to know everyone's preferences on distro + de + accessories.
>>
File: louis-ck-6545.png (148KB, 450x456px) Image search: [Google]
louis-ck-6545.png
148KB, 450x456px
>>55788755
I too was trying to decide between Arch/Gentoo just a few weeks ago. In the end I chose Gentoo, because it seemed like more of a learning experience, but I ended up being too retarded to install it correctly on my machine (something in my network config was funky).

So now I'm rocking the Arch train and it's been super comfy and a great intro to how an OS actually functions.

As for DE/WM, I've only tried Gnome, XFCE and Enlightenment, and of all of them I like Enlightenment the best. Gnome being dependent on Cheese bothers me, and XFCE feels older and not very responsive, but honestly any of these are good. Basically just try out everything and see how it goes, but my personally recommendation is Enlightenment
>>
>>55789207
I'm gonna screw around with Gentoo in a VM, figure out if KDE + xmonad suits my needs, and then wipe all my drives. The last time I install linux it was a bit of a learning experience so I did a few janky things; I'm going to do it right this time. UEFI + refind so I can manage my Windows 7 partition (not really used anyway), encryption, the whole nine yards. Thanks for the input, I'll look at all those!
>>
File: ➋_080.png (294KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
➋_080.png
294KB, 1366x768px
Is this the new desktop thread?

running arch with awesome wm
>>
File: onetruegod.jpg (39KB, 400x375px) Image search: [Google]
onetruegod.jpg
39KB, 400x375px
>I'm interested in source-based packages
so, ABS?
>>
File: screendump.png (102KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
screendump.png
102KB, 1280x1024px
Fuck them both. Install Minix 3.
>>
File: file_manager.png (515KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
file_manager.png
515KB, 1920x1080px
I feel like Unity, the default DE in Ubuntu, is robust enough for power users and comfy enough for old people. Check it out!
>>
Used arch for a good while but started to get tired of how messy it is. Then I was drawn to gentoo by reading about portage, installed it on bare metal expecting it to be a nightmare, but it wasn't. Little bit of a learning curve with configuring the kernel but once I realised you can reconfigure as much as you like, as and when you need to, it got much simpler. Looking back at arch now only highlights how messy it is and how terrible the community is. Can't recommend gentoo enough.

i3 is best wm.
>>
>>55792430
People on /g/ like to shit on Unity but I'll give it a shot.
>>
>>55788755
What package do I need to download to get pipes in my terminal?
>>
>>55792430

It has a problem. It's linked to ubuntu. There is no way to run unity outside of the main ubuntu distro, at least well.

Other than that, right now, ubuntu + unity is a great choice. But you might not like the fact that it comes all pre configured and shit, but the truth is, it works and it saves you alot of time to spend on other things other then compiling programs and editing configs.
>>
>>55793539
It's pipes.sh from the arch linux package bash-pipes
>>
>>55793756
>A lot of time.

Unless you re-rice your system constantly it really doesn't take too long and once it's done you doing need to do it again
>>
>>55788755
You should go with Etoile because it looks nice (is a clone of old OS X) and is derived from GNUstep.
>>
I want to install new OS on my laptop, i would like to be Arch but i don't really want to spend hours at setting shit up. Can you suggest me some os /g/?
>>
>no one points out reddit

/g/ is fucking dead
>>
>>55794642
What are you even on about?
>>
>>55794998
jesus christ what went wrong in this place?
>>
>>55794603
ubuntu dude, it's the less time sink OS out there, just don't install every crap you find on the internet
>>
>>55793853
when you start ricing you usually don't stop
>>
Linux scrub here. Installed Ubuntu MATE yesterday. Can anyway tell me a way to easily separate multiple windows on the screen like in OPs picture?
>>
>>55797138
i think that's a patchted i3wm
IIRC is called i3 gaps
>>
>>55797223
Thanks
>>
>>55794642
What the fuck are you on about, sperglord? There's always been a huge overlap between Reddit and 4chan's users since they both exploded in popularity over the last decade.

Also, I don't know when you last looked at your calendar, but it's currently the middle of Summer, meaning tons of kids/teens have nothing better to do than illegally shitpost on 4chan all day.
>>
>>55795080
its denizens grew up
>>
is this the new desktop thread?
>>
>>55792430
how can i make the icons that small? and on the bottom? wtf
>>
>>55797138
Op picture is what's called a tiling window manager, it automatically arranges your windows into tiles when you create them. bspwm can also handle floating windows if you like.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.