[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't freetards into design?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 11

File: 1469613802183.jpg (305KB, 2052x1901px) Image search: [Google]
1469613802183.jpg
305KB, 2052x1901px
Why can't freetards into design?
>>
>programmer writes software
>software needs assets and graphics to get off the ground
>people get used to the shitty graphics are are opposed to having a designer replace their shitty placeholder graphics
>free software stays ugly forever

that's why
>>
why are you such a poz faggot?
>>
>>55785478
Why can't Winbabbys and Macfags understands the pure beauty of the command line?
>>
>>55785478
Linux has DEs too retard
-1/10, shit bait
>>
>>55785500
more like:
>programmer writes software
>software needs assets and graphics to get off the ground
>programmer tries to make a simple, light gui with no idea how to do it functional instead of having a designer replace their shitty gui
>all this because its an one purpose app using 20MB of ram and nice gui would add another 150MB and ~20% cpu usage to it
>>
>>55785509
damage control
>>
10 rupees have been deposited to your designated poo account, rajesh.
t. satya pootella
>>
>>55778239
>>
>>55785478
KDE is the best for looks to bad it requires a lot of bloat
>>
>>55785585
They all look like shit unless you put 2 hours of work minimum to make it look decent.
>>
>>55785716
thank you, sir
>>
>>55785478
I gotta say, Linux looks the best out of the 3 you showed there.
>>
Because devs don't understand basic UX.
>>
>>55786162
>2 hours
no, like 10 minutes if you are that assblasted
>making the point on how he can't change a damn thing on OSX or Windows if he needs to
You are fucked and mad.
>>
>>55785478
Isn't this a good thing? Command line doesn't need to change because they got it right in the first place?
>>
>>55785478
Well it's pretty ovious,

Windows and Mac OSX are from companies that PAY their GFX designer teams and pay well.......

Linux however, devs usually do this as a hobby and do not get paid. Unless it's from a well funded Distro..
>>
>>55785478
>muh fisher price gui is better than having a functional PC

>>>/reddit/
>>
File: Ubuntu_16.04.jpg (70KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Ubuntu_16.04.jpg
70KB, 1024x768px
>>55786235

Here is a picture of Ubuntu 16.04. It's the newest release. Does this look like shit to you?
>>
>>55786256
Not him, but yes.
>deviantart-tier pseudo matte window decorations that clash with the minimalist tray icon set
>those horrifyingly ugly overlays on application icons in the dock that also clash with everything else
>that default color scheme

Unity could have been a winner, yet it falls so short.
>>
>>55785478
stable af!
thanks senpai
>>
>>55785478
>KDE
>ElementaryOS
>MATE
>Solus
>…
You are profoundly retarded.
>>
>>55786162
>yaourt -S arc-gk-theme paper-icon-theme
>change themes in settings
GEE THAT SURE WAS HARD,
Now fuck off buttblasted faggot. Go suck microsoft dick, maybe they will make another revolutionary theme for windows 10.
>>
File: plasma50b2-main.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
plasma50b2-main.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
Recent version of KDE's plasma desktop.

Wow, it's not a terminal with intentionally poorly scaled content.
>>
File: then now.jpg (475KB, 2052x1901px) Image search: [Google]
then now.jpg
475KB, 2052x1901px
>>55785478
There you go senpai, updated to prevent misinformation

you're welcome

faggot
>>
>>55785478
I still dont understand this. Why do you take a 2005 screenshot for Linux in 2016? GNU/Linux is not like this at all anymore. There is plenty of different DE and a lot are very easy to use and don't need any command line actions (Gnome, KDE, XFCE...).
>>
>>55785612

you clearly never could experience the joy of a neatly configured console
>>
>>55786162
Use default gnome or the elementary DE. They look just as good/better than OSX.
>>
>>55786256
yes it does look like shit.
>>
>>55786162
Just about every major DE looks better by default than Windows does, and has a trivial way to select themes, fonts, window decorations and what not.

Even most of the bigger WM do.

Hell, even if you picked a minimalist WM with text configurations, you still shouldn't take two fucking hours to make a few cosmetic changes.
>>
>>55786162
>2 hours of work
Do you sweat while reading? Honest question.
>>
>>55785478
Nice bait.
>>
If I were into Linux I would spend days making some GUI, with everything I need, lots of macros and stuff. I used to do that on Windows XP, changing stuff till it crash then I did recovery. It was fun.
>>
>>55786256
>those glossy icons on the left
>this transparency
>these depth on icons in the background

Learn with Apple, dudes. If shit is esque, make it all esque, if shit is flat, make it all flat. It is not that hard, c'mon, consistency is what make design good to the eyes.
>>
>>55787371
>Apple

I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone
>>
>>55787331
Not sure why you'd have to write GUI and how macros are related, but you can literally just go and install Linux on some HDD (or into a virtual machine) and use it. Unlike XP, it's a very modern OS.
>>
File: clearly a ruse.png (35KB, 326x343px) Image search: [Google]
clearly a ruse.png
35KB, 326x343px
>>55785478
>using a fullscreen terminal app to show off a desktop
>using an outdated version of Ubuntu on the 'now' side, which is literally a copy of the 'then' side
That's like showing off a maximized CMD on Windows XP to show off Windows 10
>>
>>55785478
> Win 7
> Now
>>
>>55785478
wow thats what windows looks like
>>
>>55786698
> he uses yaourt
pacaur master race
>>
File: ivysaur.jpg (125KB, 600x749px) Image search: [Google]
ivysaur.jpg
125KB, 600x749px
>>55785478
you can't improve on perfection
>>
>>55785509
Fuck the command line. DOS is over asshole.
>>
>>55787795
>lightweight program such as youtube-dl is easily extensible with the command line while having no GUI bloat
>winbabby's need a GUI for everything, including a simple program for downloading youtube videos
>>
/g/ is a fucking aquarium
>>
>>55786801
XFCE looked more comfy back then desu
>>
>>55787856
We have 500gb hdds...it's not 1998 and we don't worry about bloat anymore.
>>
>>55788117
why make anything more than it needs to be?
youtube-dl would not benefit at all from a GUI
>>
>>55788171
i'm not that anon
But personnally, I don't know how to dl a youtube video with the commandline BECAUSE i'm a winbabby, but I know how to read and how to use simple GUI, like the vast majority of human beings
>>
designer and artist want to be paid

free software doesn't pay
>>
>>55788597
this

if they're going to take time to design and create art, they need a salary. they need their work fall under a license that ensures its their work, and their work only. need permission to copy, transfer, and pay for their work.
>>
>>55785478
htop wasn't released until 2004, you scrub
>>
lack of leadership in the free software community. no goal or unified philosophy. its a whole bunch of people trying to do a whole bunch of things.

there is no one "linux." there are many copies. many copies with their own twist. it might be one of linux's strength, but its also its weakness and that's its problem.

there is no standard desktop environment, no standard distribution, no standard kernel to target. no standard anything.

you have gtk, qt, no standard version of either. you might create one gtk application while a month later a new version comes out that breaks it, followed by a few months after that another version that breaks that version.

you can't do integration because there isn't a standard that will work across all distros, desktop environments, and window managers. one distro might lack outdated libs needed, one desktop manager doesn't play nice with different (foos) and only works with its own.

linux is a giant mess.
>>
File: 473.gif (537KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
473.gif
537KB, 480x270px
>>55785478
why can't op into not being a faggot?
>>
>>55785478
>top
>>
>>55788514
literally
youtube-dl http://youtube.com/opisafag24

command line isn't hard, you just have to not be retarded and RTFM
>>
>>55786800
>no concept of vertical padding in wallpaper and mouse actions icons
>giant fucking dropdown menus with tons of empty space
>greyshit
>microscopic start button and desktop switcher
>>
File: login[1].png (130KB, 1604x1168px) Image search: [Google]
login[1].png
130KB, 1604x1168px
durrrrr look at me
>>
>>55786801
what distro is that anon?
>>
>>55788909
KDE paid designers to do this
>>
>>55788918
first pic is prolly debian + xfce1
second is xubuntu 16.04
>>
>>55788877
Where does that place the downloaded video? In what quality? Now I have to learn all the fuckin switches and your simplicity argument is gone. Meanwhile I have a firefox plugin that puts a dropdown on every video. That's a lot fucking easier. youtube-dl is not a good example of a good command line tool, unless you're batching them, but I don't know why any non-pleb would download youtube videos anyway. Talk about grep or some shit.
>>
File: ElementnaryOS motherfucker.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ElementnaryOS motherfucker.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>55785478
nice bait senpai
>>
>>55788739
>programmer did it for free
anon please you can have free shit and good design just like the programmer there are people that will do it for free
>>
You all posting in a shil thread.
>>
>>55789023
all threads in this board are shill threads there's no hope
>>
>>55788992
mind posting your wallpaper?
>>
>>55785478
All These guys do is update the UI. There's not much need to change visuals of an OS. MS breaks more than they fix half the time. UAC - for example. Consumers like the pretty graphics.

>>55785585
And This
>>
>>55785478
>he thinks the `now` for MacOS and Wangdongs are actually good
>he posts a terminal emulator full-screened with the `top` command, both of which MacOS also has, as an example of Linux looking bad
Tech illiterate.

>>55786162
>implying MacOS and Windows look better than default Unity, Budgie, ChromeOS, or Gnome.
I usually use Xmonad though. It's pretty easy to customize into what I like, but it takes about 30 seconds, not 2 hours.
>>
File: REALmatte_window_decorations.jpg (347KB, 1832x1148px) Image search: [Google]
REALmatte_window_decorations.jpg
347KB, 1832x1148px
>>55786307
>pseudo matte
Don't throw pseudo around where it doesn't belong.
You're obfuscating your sentence structure with pretentious jargon that you don't fully comprehend.

>minimalist tray icon set
There is nothing minimalist about those tray icons. Most of them are just the logos of the application as specified by the manufacturer.
>those horrifyingly ugly overlays on application icons in the dock that also clash with everything else
They're damn near the exact same ones Windows has, so I guess we can conclude you're either a macfag or a autistic archfag bringing it up tangentially, right?
>that default color scheme
Follows the rules of color theory perfectly.
Purple, Orange, and Green. That's a triad. They're also wonderful saturations of said colors.

I guess Yosemite must be using real matte, right?

>>55787371
>apple
>consistency
Obvious trolling. Is this Glass, Flat, Matte, or what?
>>
File: Lain reads the fucking manual.png (188KB, 456x345px) Image search: [Google]
Lain reads the fucking manual.png
188KB, 456x345px
>>55788950
>Where does that place the downloaded video?
In the folder you execute the command in. You can also pipe it to whatever video software you use.

>In what quality?
The highest possible, again RTFM.

>Meanwhile I have a firefox plugin that puts a dropdown on every video.
And goes through a 3rd party website to download the video.
>>
>>55790687
>And goes through a 3rd party website to download the video.
Uh, no? All the plugin does is extract the direct link of the video to download directly from Youtube. The underlying logic is exactly the same as youtube-dl, except it's only 1 mouse click instead of typing out "youtube-dl", then alt-tab, copy the link, alt-tab, paste, enter.
>>
>>55786256
>Does this look like shit to you?
It does. Unity is the worst DE ever.
>>
>>55791506
>All the plugin does is extract the direct link of the video to download directly from Youtube.
So it downloads the video as a .flv file that you can't watch with a normal media player? Youtube-dl converts the video into a more common playable format for you and offers the option to just save the audio. It also has the ability to download whole playlists at a time.
>>
>>55791695
youtube-dl does not convert the video. check out the -g option to see where it downloads from.
>>
>>55791695
>Youtube-dl converts the video
No it doesn't you fucking moron. And youtube stopped using .flv like a few years ago, now it's all mp4.
This is proof that you're using command line just to prove that you're a cool kid, and in fact have no fucking idea what you're doing.
>>
>>55791765
>youtube-dl does not convert the video
So Youtube hosts all videos in .mp4 and .webm now instead of .flv?
>>
>>55791805
yes, on googlevideo.com
>>
>>55791800
>This is proof that you're using command line just to prove that you're a cool kid
No, I use it because it's easier to rip a ton of shit that way and because videos run smoother on an older machine I still use if I download them and watch them with a separate player.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.