[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good budget /g/pu that also has good Linux Dirvers ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: geforce-gtx-970-top.png (80KB, 534x265px) Image search: [Google]
geforce-gtx-970-top.png
80KB, 534x265px
Hey /g/ - can we have a thread about decent, good value (performance per price), budget graphic cards?

What card must one buy in 2016 to be able to play a few vidya, something like Overwatch, Guild Wars 2 ?

Is GTX 970 the best pick especially considering Nvidia's proprietary linux drivers are better than Radeon's?
>>
Bump out of slight interest
>>
I'd definitely go with nvidia and sadly an old gpu will probably be a lot more stable but someone who knows more about modern nvidia linux drivers on linux would know better
>>
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nv-linux-gtx1060&num=1

Actually the 1060 might be good
>>
AMD's new AMDGPU/AMDGPU-PRO linux driver is WAY better than their old fglrx driver, but it's still definitely not up to snuff with Nvidia's linux drivers. Then again Nvidia's linux drivers are properly god tier and actually on par with their Windows drivers.
>>
Basically:

GTX 1060, MSRP $250.
RX480 (8G) reference MSRP $250.
Sapphire Nitro+ RX480 (4G) MSRP $220.

Nitro+ is slightly better than reference while being somewhat cheaper while GTX 1060 is better while being the same price so there is no fucking point in getting reference RX480.

You also have the option of waiting for Nitro+ 8G version which is going to be $270 and if the VRAM is actually faster than 4G version is probably going to be slightly faster than GTX 1060 for a slightly larger price and will probably be more "future proof" in case you decide to get a 1440p monitor sometime in the future.

As the years pass RX480 is probably going to outperform 1060 as is usually the case with AMD cards without even getting into the whole DirectX12/Vulkan bullshit but right now 1060 is better for GAYMS.

All in all, get 1060 or get Nitro+ 480 (4G) OR wait wait for Nitro+ (8G) to see how it performs.

Or get a used whatever for much cheaper price if you want to buy used stuff.
>>
>>55783739
I'd like to give you an honest answer but we both know the moment I cast some light of positivity on an Nvidia product /g/ is gonna lynch me as if I were a nigger visiting /pol/. Sigh. At least let me know where are you from - I can already tell you that no it's not worth to buy a 970 in USA.
>>
>>55783739
AMD > Nvidia when it comes to Linux
See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWzMvlj2RQ

Nvidiots should stop using linux
>>
>>55784180
I'm in central Europe, Slovenia. I usually order stuff from Germany.
>>
>>55784180
>the moment I cast some light of positivity on an Nvidia product /g/ is gonna lynch me as if I were a nigger visiting /pol/
>Implying this isn't what happens when you try to talk positively about AMD as well
Fanboys gonna be fanboys, but be warned that results on Windows are not completely reflective of performance on Linux. Nvidia's linux driver, which apparently shares a large part of it's code base with the Windows driver, is much more mature than AMD's semi-new AMDGPU-driver and having been out a lot longer developers use it in (linux) development a lot more than AMD's driver.

However AMD's AMDGPU driver has only been available to the public only for a bit more than a year and is still steadily improving so at some point we could see parity in (linux) driver quality.
>>
>>55784230
Are their drivers up to scratch now?
>>
>>55783739
OP buy a used 7970 and enjoy yourspare money, that shit goes for like 120 euros and runs everything! Also it's very old so linux should support that already!
>>
>>55784230
This video he was talking about their open source drivers, not their proprietary ones.
>>
>>55784276
Optimus (the dual graphics they're talking about in that video) is still pretty much fucked and their signed binaries are causing some MAJOR headaches for the people developing the open source drivers for Nvidia graphics cards (Noveau).

Their closed source binary blob drivers are great, but on the open source side they only provide marginal support to community open source efforts (so support only goes up to Maxwell and for it support is still buggy along with OpenGL support being limited to buggy 4.1) while AMD has open sourced it's (full OpenGL 4.5 supporting) AMDGPU driver (thou the AMDGPU-PRO extension with Vulkan is closed source, but they've promised to open source it at some point later).
>>
File: GoatSmug1.jpg (57KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
GoatSmug1.jpg
57KB, 600x450px
>>55784246
Then you're in a totally different position than American AMD shills. You said you order stuff from Germany - Using price matching website geizhals.de I can already tell your best choice would be 4gb 480RX version:

http://geizhals.de/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-11260-02-20g-a1477762.html

It can be ghetto rigged to get the performance of the 8gb version (Which weirdly enough is 2-3 fps faster than 4gb by default, even in games that don't come close to 4gbs of vram usage - Just another dirty AMD tactic that isn't mentioned here)

I thought the prices would be similar to UK where you can buy a 970 gtx $70 cheaper than 1060 and 480 but looking at Germany the 4gb AiB 480 costs 250 EURO, 1060 - 300 and 970 - 270. Of course that's only looking at specs. Linux drivers are whole different story. I can't find any proper Linux reviews except for

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-rx480-linux&num=1

but then I can bet my ass some shill is going to call it Nvidia shill website or something. At least in this review 480RX is seriously behind 970 so I guess if you're dirty poor you go for 970 or add 30 EURO and buy a 1060 (But then again I come from Poland and I realize that 30 EURO can be worth days of hard work for some people). It's up to you really but those benchmarks are seriously bad for AMD.
>>
>>55784413
Thanks, good advice here. I'm actually not that poor but I feel bad for spending too much for vidya.
>>55784332
Good idea... isn't buying used cards risky?
>>
I don't think you can playa OW con Linux unless you use wine
>>
>>55784717
It's a risk yes, especially with GPUs imo. CPUs are so so since if they work they just work - where as GPUs can have tons of issues that might not be visible at first - like shutting down on its own with high vram temps or displaying artifacts in heavy use. I guess I'd be very careful and check for available purchase covers/return policies on the website/auction of your choice.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.