[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what games can I make that would take me a few weeks to make

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1469548879814.png (37KB, 658x662px) Image search: [Google]
1469548879814.png
37KB, 658x662px
what games can I make that would take me a few weeks to make at best?

I want to make games but I don't want to spend years of effort.

I'm not even looking to make money off them.
>>
>>55782961
Tic-Tac-Toe.
>>
Remake Atari games
>>
gorilla.bas!
>>
Oldschool arcade games
>>
http://www.glorioustrainwrecks.com/
>>
Flappy Bird
>>
>>55782961
picture puzzle
>>
call of duty stick man cli for GNU/Linux
>>
Nothing worth playing
>>
>>55782970
This.

I made Tic-Tac-Toe in like a few hours.
>>
>>55782961
General type of advice here.

Java + jMonkeyEngine
You can learn a lot that way and you can make something decent.

Urho3D + C++
Use this if you want to tinker with C++.

Both open source, you can modify it as you progress using it as a "sandbox".

If you want to thinker with the low-level parts of some classic shit then go take a look at quake3/ioquake source code. (GPL)

If you want to do everything yourself get SDL or SFML. You could use them for 2D graphics and you can use them to get you an OpenGL context for 3D. (for gl + cpp glfw is nicer imho)

Regarding the actual game:
Make a dungeon crawler, preferably in 3D. You will learn a lot. It doesn't matter whether you start from scratch or use an engine. I recommend using an engine so you get to know how things look like and why certain patterns exist.

After that making a simple engine from scratch will be kinda easier and you will be better prepared. Of course, you can also take a look at the engine's source code you use and start hacking it instead of writing one. In fact, that may be an excellent sandbox without having to write a lot of glue (having an existing framework.)

So back at the dungeon crawler project I recommend it because you can learn a lot about procedurally generating shit and the features you implement can range from simple stuff to very complex stuff and you can handle most of it procedurally and keep the graphics simple. It's also 2D/3D agnostic. Possibility for multiplayer, server for stats, cool effects, cool magic behavior, some machine simulation (crafting), etc. You can make one in a day and you can make one in a year.

Just make sure you decide on a few simple features at the beginning and start from that.

PS:
Disregard parts of my posts that don't apply to you, ie. engine recommendations.
>>
Remake 'a dark room'
>>
Make a weeb game in Ren.Py
>>
>>55784108
This right here, if you want to git gud this is a good path to take
>>
>>55782961
have you made card games yet?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.